installed XP proffesional on laptop...and I don't know how to re establish wifi

Started by GabrielsThoughts, February 09, 2008, 02:43:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GabrielsThoughts

Since I re-installed Xp on my gateway laptop I don't know how to reestablish the network connections, or reestablish  wifi as a part of my computer... I'm also having problems with no sound when  playing video.

Fortunately I have backups of everything.

My laptop crashed last night  as a result of 50 internet explorer pop up windows opening at once.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Reese Tora

Most likely, your issue is missing drivers.

Right-click on 'my computer' and select 'manage'.

In the window that opens, in the left pane, chose device manager.

Look at the right pane, and make note of all the devices with yellow-backed exclamation marks; these all need drivers.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Reese Tora on February 09, 2008, 02:50:46 PM
Most likely, your issue is missing drivers.

That's the easy bit.  What happens afterwards is the fun part.

First, does the wireless network have an access point (e.g. a DSL router) or is it a peer-to-peer (adhoc) network?

Assuming it's an access point, you'll have to find it.  Windows, Linux etc will generally display a list of ID's of all the networks they can spot.  If yours is hidden for security reasons, you will need to know what it is called and enter it into the system - the name is usually referred to as the ESSID.

Next, encryption.  You may have no encryption at all, although that's generally considered a bad idea.  Makes things easier, though.  If it connects right away, there is no encryption on your network - you should really fix it so there is :B

If it is encrypted, you need the encryption method and the password.
You usually have the following options:
WEP64 - which IIRC uses either a 5-character string or a 10-digit hexadecimal number
WEP128 - with a 13-character string or 26 hex digits
WPA-PSK - 8-63 character passphrase

There are also WPA2, which I've never used, and full WPA which requires authentication against a RADIUS server.

You will probably also have to configure Windows to get the IP, Gateway and Subnet mask - just making sure it uses DHCP should be enough, assuming the access point is configured to hand out DHCP addresses.  Otherwise you'll probably have to talk to whoever set up the network.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Reese Tora

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 09, 2008, 03:14:55 PM
There are also WPA2, which I've never used, and full WPA which requires authentication against a RADIUS server.

I never knew that... yet another use for the RADIUS server at work... if we ever get full WPA capable access points.(not happening)

given that he's running windows XP, ehre's how to get to the wireless network setup stuff:

right click the wireless icon in the tray (if it's there, if not, right click on "my network places" and chose properties, then right click on the icon that indicates your wireless connection, the name of which may vary)

choose "view available networks"

The dialogue that shows up will have a list of wireless networks available.

At this point, you need to know your wireless network name and the excryption key(if any)

double click on your wireless network, and if you need a key (there will have been a lock next to any network that needs one in the list) you now much enter the key twice

windows takes care of using the appropriate authentication protocal

If you want to manually enter all information, or the network is hidden, you can go to the network connections list through my network palces and chose properties instead of view available wireless networks.  In the window that opens, pickt he second tab ("wireless networks") and click on the "add" button the wondow that opens allows you to enter your entwork name, authentication and encryption scheme, and a few other advanced options.

Windows only covers WEP and WPA (on my connection, that is) but yours may be have other options.

If you have it, you can also use the network setup software that came with your wireless adaptor (which may give you options not available in the windows interface)

Kasarn

GabrielsThoughts

is there any affordable or better antiviral software available that isn't Norton?
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Damaris

I'm having a connectivity problem, but it's with Vista, and a router.

We have a normal, no frills router in our house, and it's worked with every computer we've ever plugged into it until now.

We just purchased a Dell laptop with Vista, and the Vista will connect to wifi just fine, but says there is no such thing as internet through our router.  It keeps asking for a user name and password to connect to the broadband, which we don't (and never have) had- it's not been an issue before.

Where should I start troubleshooting this?

And please speak in small words, cause I'm not terribly good with computers. ;)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

RobbieThe1st

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on February 10, 2008, 10:19:45 PM
is there any affordable or better antiviral software available that isn't Norton?
Well, common sense is the best one, and free.

Personally, I use a healthy dose of the former, ZoneAlarm Security Suite(which includes anti-virus and firewall, but isn't free) and Spybot Search & Destroy(Which is free).
I haven't had a virus ever using this system, and it has caught several.
Spybot also protects me from "well meaning" programs, like windows messenger, which likes to run on startup, taking up resources.

As a note, ZoneAlarm itself is free, and includes a basic firewall. I suggest you use it if on windows - its very handy and useful.

Pasteris.ttf <- Pasteris is the font used for text in DMFA.

Reese Tora

I've found Avast to be a decent free virus scan program (free to home users)

Then again, I rarely put myself in a position to pick up viruses on my home computer.

Cogidubnus

Which version of Vista, Damaris? I've heard that some versions of Vista don't support wireless internet, to certain degrees. I know that at the college, you have to have at least the second tier version to get on the campus wireless.

I could be completely wrong, though - this is only what I've heard. Although you -do- need the second tier to get on the campus wireless.

Tapewolf

Gabriel, there is a free version of AVG which you might want to look into.
http://free.grisoft.com/

As for Vista, Cog has a good point.  Vista simply did not work with Wifi or activesync  - the two most critical things - at my workplace until we upgraded it with all the latest patches (now it's simply unpleasant).  You may have to either download SP1 (if it's out) from another source.

If your router has an ethernet jack, it might be interesting to plug the vista machine in directly and see if it can connect that way.  If so, use that to update it.

**EDIT**

Actually, I had almost forgotten that Vista's DHCP client does strange things which some routers don't like.  You might want to look at this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928233

Damaris

Cog- it's not the wireless that is the problem.  It's the regular, plug in with an ethernet cable version of the internet that's not cooperating.

(and I think it's home basic)

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

Dam,

DHCP gets used over both wired and wireless. It's how the machine gets an IP address, which is how all the machines on the internet can find each other; I'm unsure how much of this you know through osmosis off Darkmoon, and how much is news, but I'm sure -someone- will find it useful ;-]

If you're on a small network, you could try setting an IP address statically, and see if that resolves the issue. It sounds like the machine may or may not be getting IP, but is certainly not getting a default route, so that might be the problem there.

Alternatively, there's two machines providing DHCP service on the internal network (due to someone installing something they shouldn't have - either you guys, or trojan/viruses) and you're talking to the wrong one, because it responds faster... That's a bit messier to figure out, though.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

I had problems like this while trying to reinstall everything on my laptop.  Activating all the devices, trying to scan everything for hidden worms and Trojans (since I don't know why the registry got corrupted in the first place).

What worries me is when I activated my video playing hardware again, the screen blipped twice and after restarting, the Norton autoprotect function had an error which so far I've found no way to fix, yet neither a full scan by Norton or Adaware has found anything but a few common tracking cookies, which only got on recently from general web browsing.

I suspect Windows comes with worms built in so you have to go to their techs to get your computer to work correctly... and all they do is shut them down temporarily until they want more money from you... then they're reactivated in those so-called 'updates' they always want you to download! 

*starts a new conspiracy theory!*
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif