Comic Stereotypes... just how true are they?

Started by Kuari, October 10, 2007, 04:23:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuari

With the recent DMFA comic I recently heard that it's supposedly a comic stereotype to have a gay character...  however out of the 23 webcomics I read, only 4 (counting DMFA) have a major character who is gay.

Does this actually happen more often then I've been able to see, or is this like the catgirl stereotype anime has when there aren't really all that many catgirl animes out there.  I'm also curious to discuss other supposed webcomic stereotypes.  Just seems like a fun topic to discuss...

Zedd

Okays this question has been asked before you shown my friend...But let you know..Lay off thinking so much at once okays?

Kuari

Quote from: Zedd on October 10, 2007, 04:31:00 AM
Okays this question has been asked before you shown my friend...But let you know..Lay off thinking so much at once okays?

Just a bad habit of mine to think too much...  and I searched for the question, but it didn't appear in results, so telling me that the question has been asked without providing a link doesn't exactly help

techmaster-glitch

Oh man, you and I are in the same boat. I overthink a great many things as well when I shouldn't, yet also act without thinking when I shouldn't...

it's a curse...

Jigsaw Forte

What I think is the case is not that popular comics necessarily have gay characters, but that many webcomic startups will have these as opposed to actual character development, or that such revelations suddenly come out of the blue.

Then again, "Two guys bitching about video games in their webcomic" is also a stereotype. Go figure.

GabrielsThoughts

Quote from: Kuari on October 10, 2007, 04:23:50 AM
With the recent DMFA comic I recently heard that it's supposedly a comic stereotype to have a gay character...  however out of the 23 webcomics I read, only 4 (counting DMFA) have a major character who is gay.

Does this actually happen more often then I've been able to see, or is this like the catgirl stereotype anime has when there aren't really all that many catgirl animes out there.  I'm also curious to discuss other supposed webcomic stereotypes.  Just seems like a fun topic to discuss...

I believe you are mistaken, the true stereotype is to have one character that lives outside the norm's of a given society so furry, goth, gay, or alien's all fill the same role in comics...

Although, I find an unusual number of  comics that seem to be linked by Tangent fit into 3 catagories, and TG, Nerdy and furry comics could also be considered gay, (as in the phrase "this is so gay" or the classic sense of the term "happy") . So if it's based exclusively on reviews then yes the gay comics are everywhere.

Also I suspect you've been reading  the "What makes a comic great?" Storyline of DMFA, and it appears as if Amber is going back and expanding upon the ideas presented therein. which makes the job of figuring out what will happen next in DMFA much easier.

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Kuari

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on October 10, 2007, 02:00:42 PM
I believe you are mistaken, the true stereotype is to have one character that lives outside the norm's of a given society so furry, goth, gay, or alien's all fill the same role in comics...

...thing is about that is that there aren't many stories that don't have some kind of unusual character, even outside webcomics...  sure there are a few, mostly the drama shows and such though.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Amber Williams

A stereotype in comics is only as stereotypical as the artist lets them be.

The thing most people seem to not get when it comes to "What Makes a comic Great" isn't so much that certain events happen but that they were all being done simply for the potential of ratings boost.  A character getting married, or a character dying, or all the things pointed out in that arc can actually be done in a comic and be done well and entertainingly.  It's only when they are done haphazardly that it becomes apparent that the author did them only to try to get interest flowing...not because they felt the story really warrented it.

Another reason "teh gay" character might be considered a stereotype is because they tend to follow a particular subset of personality.  They are 'the gay character' first and foremost, with other personality traits put into the backburner.

It also doesnt help that in a few cases, the gay character was put in because the author has a thing for gays/lesbians and its acting on a bit of wish fulfillment.  Which was also the joke of "What makes a comic Great" in that it was stuff being done simply because of the author's personal interests and not because it fit in canon in any shape or form.

Sienna Maiu - M T

Good points. But I disagree.

(Yeah right, like I'm going to disagree with the artist  :rolleyes )

Although I honestly did think that people got that about the point behind the arc *shrug*

Amber Williams

I always hope people do, but I guess every now and then someone is going to see something completely different.  Which is ok and to be expected...cause a story where everyone gets the same thing is going to be boring.

Really, I always feel the importance was intent over content.  You can have two similar situations happening in a comic that from a very neutral glance are the exact same scenario. But one might be done because the author felt it was needed to draw attention and spice things up, while the other might be done because it was a logical chain of events.  And odds are, it's going to be obvious.

Alondro

Nope, it's all following the stereotype!  Every furry comic has a gay character!  And if they don't yet, they will!

Now all this comic needs is a fox in slave gear and it'll be entrenched in furversion forever!   >:3

http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_475.php
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_476.php

Oops, too late!   :yeahthat
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kenji

Hey. Don't be dissin the loincloth.
Even if Azlan -is- the one wearing it.

Zedd

Valynth

Loincloths have their drawbacks.  Namely, when I wore one, it was compared to Strong Sad dancing interpretively.  So trust me, unless the zombie is breaking through the defenses, keep all loincloths away from me.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Zedd

Strong Sad was wearing Leotard not a loincloth

Kuari

I WOULD like to note that this conversation had nothing to do with that "what makes a webcomic great" arc.  Just to make that clear, it was more the Jy being gay thing people mentioned it and it got me thinking...

But yeah, the whole rating boost thing makes sense as Amber says, but I still don't see a mass quantity of comics with that...  maybe I'm just good at picking out the more unique ones...

Saist

Quote from: Kenji on October 12, 2007, 03:31:28 PM
Hey. Don't be dissin the loincloth.
Even if Azlan -is- the one wearing it.
* je.saist puts a loin-cloth on and prances around

Amber Williams

Quote from: Kuari on October 13, 2007, 03:04:09 AM
I WOULD like to note that this conversation had nothing to do with that "what makes a webcomic great" arc.  Just to make that clear, it was more the Jy being gay thing people mentioned it and it got me thinking...

You're really going to have to learn quickly that just because you set a topic, that it isn't always going to follow down that route 100%. :U

As for the gay thing, I'll post a bit later when Im less groggy and less cranky.

Zedd

Quote from: Amber Williams on October 13, 2007, 12:25:05 PM

You're really going to have to learn quickly that just because you set a topic, that it isn't always going to follow down that route 100%. :U

As for the gay thing, I'll post a bit later when Im less groggy and less cranky.
*gives Amber a pillow*

Valynth

Quote from: Zedd on October 13, 2007, 02:47:24 AM
Strong Sad was wearing Leotard not a loincloth

I said it was compared to his dancing (which if you watched the episode was what Strong Bad was complaining about).
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

Kuari

Oh I understand that.  Just a couple of people seemed to think that arc had something to do wit this topic coming up.  Just wanted to clarify....  and in the great words of Girl Genius...

*throws a Calming Pie at Amber*

llearch n'n'daCorna

"Why stop now, just when I'm hating it?" ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears