Anyone else here play magic: the gathering?

Started by Kitsune Ascendant, July 21, 2007, 01:09:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsune Ascendant

There's a nifty free program I found called Gathering online, which lets you play online. found here, and instructions to connect to the only server I know of can be found here. We can coordinate times here. Casual play only for me, though.

It lets you program in your own decks, and is easy to use.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Janus Whitefurr

*looks at cards ranging from Antiquities all the way through to Urza's Saga*

...no?
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Brunhidden

I used to play, was quite good in fact. I would have ruled the local tournament at the comic shop if i could have actually gotten there on tournament days (they had prizes for the winner)

Sadly its been years for me too, and i doubt my computer could handle it even if i COULD install it.

besides, i was used to using either a two pound deck of artifacts/artifact creatures or a deck of black cards mixed between "you die now" and "its a freaking zombie, kill it as much as you want for all i care"

QuoteThey groaned, they stirred, they all uprose,
Nor spake, nor moved their eyes ;
It had been strange, even in a dream,
To have seen those dead men rise
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Darkmoon

I got tired of the game after it seemed like no matter how much you spend, there will always be those guys that have managed to make a deck that can, literally, empty your entire deck of anything useful in less than 10 rounds.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Turnsky

Quote from: Darkmoon on July 21, 2007, 08:07:38 AM
I got tired of the game after it seemed like no matter how much you spend, there will always be those guys that have managed to make a deck that can, literally, empty your entire deck of anything useful in less than 10 rounds.

i made a deck that did it on purpose.. it was freaking AWESOME for 1 on 1 matches.  a few recycle graveyard type cards and it woulda been perfect.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

rabid_fox

I don't, but it can't be any more boring than cricket, which I played for the first time in my life yesterday.

Oh dear.

superluser

I've been to the Magic: the Gathering World Championships.

Mainly because I was in Seattle for other reasons, and I happened to wander upstairs and found it.

I used to prefer Sufficiently Advanced Technology: The Gathering, before they went on their ``We'll update when we want to.  Never.'' schedule.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Zedd

Reese Tora

Played for a while in highschool, but I havn't bought cards since before 2000

Oddly enough, I played a game last night while we were waiting for our fourth member for D&D.  I held my own pretty well considering I hadn't played in something like six years, I'm proud to say. (and that with the other two guys in our threeway game ganging up on my because I'd borrowed a white/red deck and had a pair of artifacts in play that together got me 1 life for every white or red card played, and the guy next to me also had a white/red deck.)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Roureem Egas

I've been playing it for about two years now. Got in when the rest of my friends started playing it in high school and stilll play now. I do pretty okay against my friends, but I suspect that's more to do with how much I stay under their radars.

Kitsune Ascendant

Edit: I'm not logged in anymore. I'll probably be back around...5-ish mountain time.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.

Catffeinated

I play Magic: The Gathering, although I'm not willing to do the Magic: Online. For one: you can't have the same decks as in real life, the chances of getting the same cards, or any out-of-date cards is next to null, and for two: It's not free; like in real life, you have to pay them to get new "cards"...  That is why I hate Magic: Online.
:rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :censored :censored :censored

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 21, 2007, 05:21:41 PM
I play Magic: The Gathering, although I'm not willing to do the Magic: Online. For one: you can't have the same decks as in real life, the chances of getting the same cards, or any out-of-date cards is next to null, and for two: It's not free; like in real life, you have to pay them to get new "cards"...  That is why I hate Magic: Online.
:rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :rant :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :cuss :censored :censored :censored

I'm not talking about THAT piece of  :censored. I'm talking about a free program that lets you program in your own decks and play over the net easy. you should try it.

Oh, and I'm going to be on for a while, so if you want to play.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zedd on July 21, 2007, 12:29:41 PM
I summon the chicken dance

i have a card called 'knight of the hokey pokey', its power is that you pay one white mana and you can stand up, wiggle your butt, and rotate 360 degrees in order to negate all damage to you done by one source.

useful, silly, and the illustration of a knight on horseback twitching his fingers like hes dancing is rich.

QuoteThats what it's all about
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Kenji

Ugh... I would love to play again. But my friends and brother kinda stopped playing. I haven't collected any in a while, though.
Heh.... I love my catwarrior deck.

Catffeinated

Quote from: Kitsune Ascendant on July 21, 2007, 05:31:47 PM
I'm not talking about THAT piece of  :censored. I'm talking about a free program that lets you program in your own decks and play over the net easy. you should try it.

Ah!  :3 Well, could you post the hyperlink to the DL site plz?

Reese Tora

Quote from: Catffeinated on July 21, 2007, 10:50:15 PM
Quote from: Kitsune Ascendant on July 21, 2007, 05:31:47 PM

Ah!  :3 Well, could you post the hyperlink to the DL site plz?

He posted the links in the first post.  Scroll up to the top.

Kitsune Ascendant

Well, I'm on the server if you want to play right now, catt. I'm in a game, but the guy seems to have disappeared. I'll give it another five minutes or so.

Catffeinated

Oy... Oy... Head spinning, too many options...
It'll take me days to set up my whole collection though, and that's no eat/sleep days!
I'll register my deck tommorow morn, I'm starting to get sleepy...

Kitsune Ascendant

alright. Just post here when you're ready. I need sleep to, so...

As far as "options" it may look intimidating at first, but It's fairly easy to use.

Kitsune Ascendant

New version of G.O. available. It was released just minutes ago (I know, because I got kicked off the server for the upgrade).

Reese Tora

So, I was looking at the go site, and it seem to me...

The players are responsible for keeping track of the rules and following them, right?

I'm just checking, as I'm interested in playing, but I don't remember a lot of the rules(especially since they've changed a bit and had new ones added since I stopped playing)

I mean, how much automation of play is there? (untapping? reminders when an ability should trigger? combat resolution calculator?)

Kitsune Ascendant

the system seems to handle most of the gameflow, but a lot of the rules have to be handled by players. But I can help with that, and with the exception of some new keyword abilities, the rules really haven't changed that much.

GabrielsThoughts

combined the rules with pokemon and the game is a thing of beauty, each player offers up 33 cards as prizes for each battle and the winner gets to use the other players deck to build a better one.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Slavkei

Azlan

*Examines his Alpha and Beta sets... and scans his, now largely banned, antiquities to Ice Age cards*

Nah, never got too involved... and I got out early.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

lucas marcone

good news everybody magic is slowing down relese dates! you'll actually have time to build up a collection of leagal cards before they go out of type II!