The secret life of a cat revealed

Started by Paul, June 08, 2007, 08:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul

So what does one's pet cat do during the day?

Jürgen Perthold, a German engineer, was curious as to what his cat Mr. Lee did when left to its own devices. So Perthold got hold of a small digital camera, constructed a controller that made the camera take a photo once per minute, and attached the resulting "catcam" to Mr. Lee's collar. And so Mr. Lee delivered fascinating - and oddly poetic - photographic evidence of the secret life of cats. Perthold put the photos up for us all to see, along with technical information on the camera:

http://www.mr-lee-catcam.de/

:)

Tapewolf

Has anyone ever read 'Night Walk' by Bob Shaw?  Quite an interesting novel that one.
A spy on a colony world is left blinded during his arrest and in collaboration with another blind prisoner develops a mechanism to allow them to see using the prison workshops.
Unable to iron out bugs interfacing the camera system to their optic nerves, they build a pair of glasses which allows them to see through other people's eyes.

At one point the protagonist loses the glasses to a woman obsessed with cats, a sort of proto-furry if you will - this was written in 1967.  She re-tunes the glasses to her cats so that she can see through their eyes and follow their lives while they're out hunting at night.

This reminded me of it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Netrogo

That's really amazing. We see cats wandering around and such but this gives a much closer to home look at their lives. I'd love to see him do this with a video camera next.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Zorro

Not pictured is the Cats Gone Wild at Mardi Gras Cat Cam.   :)

kaskar

Amazing how fast you can tell a cat in a warm basket to jump, and the cat jumps so fast you did not really see it ...
8) Just Hanging Around ...

Caswin

Quote from: Halfway ThroughWhere are you going ?    Secret cat den ?    Where are you ?

Interesting...
Quote from: DamarisThis is the most freaking civil "flame war" I have ever seen in my life.
Yap yap.

rabid_fox

Oh dear.

TheGreyRonin

I found it quite interesting. I'm afraid if I rigged up most of my cats, though, all that I'd end up with would be a couple dozen close-ups of the food dish and wherever they chose to sleep within five feet of said dish.

Kryptic

I'd like to see the secret life of my rabbit.

Well, she's not technically mine anymore. She's an "outdoor" bunny. Lives in a big garden with barley, a friend named Mudge and a few chickens. I wonder what she does all day. Silly Roxanne. I know my indoor bunny well enough to figure he would have some rather... interesting adventures given the chance. Mostly being silly.

Aridas

those cats are probably doing a drug deal. happens all the time. the cat with the camera is the middle man.

kaskar

Quote from: Aridas Soulfire on June 12, 2007, 01:48:15 AM
those cats are probably doing a drug deal. happens all the time. the cat with the camera is the middle man.

Sould and sounds as if it could be Cat - A - Strophic. Sounds as if the drug dealer would look like the cute fighting pussy with the big eyes in Shreck. You know, the one that dilates it's pupils so you think it's cute, and when your not looking , ( Zap )
8) Just Hanging Around ...

RJ

Zedd

QUICK TIE A CAMERA TO KENJI'S NECK!!  :eager