What is your favorite giant robot game

Started by thegayhare, May 11, 2007, 02:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadrok

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 01, 2007, 05:48:13 PM
Not every day I get to quote myself!

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on May 11, 2007, 02:31:18 AM
Other than that, the Armoured Core series is where my machine love shines. Building heavily armoured tank-tracked ACs and making tactical use of low-ammunition, high-powered weapons to obliterate the enemy? Fun.

The laserblade's my last resort. As I said, I go for tactical use of very large guns.

Well I stand corrected. :animesweat

I agree about the laserblade being a last resort, but it's still nice to have that last resort though.

Axis

I played a submarine sim, I had a last resort that involved speeding the submarine up to top speed and ramming enemy vessels broad-side. 

Yeah, I ruined that fishing boat's day.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Boogeyman on June 01, 2007, 08:50:16 PM
Armored Core three does own all, but lately I've gotten into Steambot Chronicles. It's a sandbox/musical career simulater/crazy taxi/smugglers run/beat-'em-up/dating sim/intro to giant robot games with RPG elements. :3 Only game where not only does your giant (or at least fairly large) robot go on rampages everywhere, but the combat system makes it so it's never so simple a matter of who has the more obscene firepower and, if battling doesn't work out, you can always convert your 'bot into a bus or a mining machine or something until you get more cash.

Nexus and Last Raven > you!

And in regards to Steambot Chronicles, I will only quip what Vanilla notices in the kitchen of the apartment next to Coriander's. "Each of these jars contains a herb (or a person, it's hard to tell.)"
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

King Of Hearts

Steambot Chronicles had such a clumsy mecha control system..

I wanted to be a fighter... end ended up a musician.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: King Of Hearts on June 02, 2007, 05:14:46 AM
Steambot Chronicles had such a clumsy mecha control system..

I wanted to be a fighter... end ended up a musician.

I was good at two things.

Blowing the trumpet. And ramming people.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Boog

I rather liked the control system. Granted, the main thing I like about it is the ability to pick up an enemy, use him as a shield to soak up his comrades fire, throw him at his ally and then pick up the remaining enemy and smash them against a wall until they go away. You gotta admit, there's a good deal of simple pleasure to be gained from the combat in that game if you know where to look.

thegayhare

currently I've been playing Robotech Invasion

It's something I fished out of the barin bin ages ago
I had to have it when I saw it featured my favorite mecha... Cyclones

the enimies look great (accept for the humans)
The Invid are handled realy well and alot of the action takes place in a way that helps you feel that you are part of a larger effort.

I've got a couple of beefs with it though

You can only carry 2 weapons at a time and one of those has to be your Galant (standard side arm,  you find add onns for it as you proceed)  so it's hard to know when to swap weapons.  Like in one level you come across a machine gun,  but none of the enemies in that level carry ammo for it.  so your constantly second guessing your weapons choices

and there are barely any places where the cyclones motercycle mode comes in handy,  add to that the fact that you can die realy easy in on the cycle, and half the game in in doors or underground where the computer won't let you transform and cycle mode starts to feel alittle tacked on. 

Also the onlyweapons you can use in cycle mode are the cyclones built in missle packs, which while powerful leave you way to vulnerable to ever use as well as the fact that reloads for them are nearly non existant.

but it's still fun

Kitsune Ascendant

Quote from: GabrielsThoughts on June 01, 2007, 06:32:08 PM
there was this police mech game that I used to play. but I can't remember the name of it all I can remember is

"hold your fire, those are tax payers  out there."

and other over used boss lines such as "where are you? bwa ha ha ha ha!"

EDIT: and the Xenogears demo rocked

Future cop: lapd. Specifically, la brea tar pits. That game was awesome. I need to pick it back up sometime.
I may be a bit young to be worrying about it so much, but I'm not changing this sig until I find true love.
yappities by silverfoxr, and are awesome.  Thanks!

Turnsky

been playing a lot of lost planet recently, not on the order of giantness of some 'mechs, but they're more logical looking than other, spindlier types of giant robot.. and man some of them are agile.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..