Outside Link : number crunching on Technical Support Centers

Started by Saist, March 05, 2007, 03:57:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saist

Most of us have probably done it. We've picked up the phone, called our Internet Service Provider or Computer Manufacturer because we've just got some problem that we can't solve.

Presuming we do manage to get through the phone system, after waiting on hold, and find a live person, we brace ourselves. We ask our question, and we get a response back that has absolutely nothing to do with the question.

So we ask it again, and we get the same canned response back. We sit there for a moment, then say "Thank you, good bye" and then call the creepy guy down the street who has a knack for fixing these kinds of problems.

I'm not claiming that this is an expose or anything into the behavior of call centers. It isn't, I'm presuming that most of the examples are fairly well known.

Instead, I started looking at the financial break down of what it was costing companies to hire people who read from a script, versus those who actually have a bloody clue what they are doing.

So, if you ever wanted to see a Technicians view of what's wrong with Tech Support today, and why:

http://zerias.blogspot.com/2007/03/call-center-crunching-some-numbers.html

(and, no, I have not asked DMoon or Jezebel if this was alright to link, here's hoping I don't get blasted for this)

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Saist

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 05, 2007, 08:34:52 AM
Did you want a couple of typos pointed out? :-]

would be appreciated... that thing grew a lot quicker than I intended....

llearch n'n'daCorna

"tift" on the first line should be "rift" - in the link.

At the point you post "OEM" description, in the second paragraph of The Setup, you missed the r off the end of manufacturer.

Down in The Final Crunch, you drop in "appearantly" - apparently pears are included...

Despite that, it's a well-written document. Only three typos in that length? And the numbers, which I'll admit I didn't check, but... Hmmm...

Reese Tora

wow... that was a great read.

Of course, a lot of script readers are now in less developed countries.

I think you need a LOT of call backs for the strait pay numbers to make real techs look better than outsourcing to other countries in the eyes of accountants.

They insist I trouble shoot after I describe the exact problem with (whatever on the laptop went bad this time).  I'm glad I only ever need to call for hardware replacement...

Just imagine thier improved call times if they would just send me the box and bill me for the part if I was wrong after all.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

llearch n'n'daCorna

50% call backs is probably verging on those numbers.

Pity they won't actually listen to the folks on the front end.

Saist

Reese : one of the soft topics I'm debating on covering is the "Customer Interaction: Ease of Communication"

Dell has been hammered for it's tech support in India, not just slipping back a couple of slots in consumer satisfaction reports, but falling all the way to the bottom. In the more closely observed Server segment Dell trails far behind other x86 server vendors in terms of customer satisfaction.

Thing is, customers know when they are speaking to somebody who "natively" speaks their language, or is "trained" on the subject matter.  It's subtle clues in the accent, the usage of words, the timing of the words, how questions are phrased, and several other tiny items of vocal communication. From my own perspective, I would often get asked questions about Computer Support outside of HSI boundaries because of the manner I answered the original HSI questions. Other employees of Sitel never got asked any extra questions.

I think in terms of outsourcing, a 40% callback rate is approaching the point of breaking even.

llearch n'n'daCorna

The downside to Dell servers is they run damn hot.

Which means more of the power goes into generating heat, and less into doing efficient calculations. Not good.