Microsoft WHAT?

Started by Tapewolf, November 02, 2006, 05:44:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madd the Sane

Quote from: Sid on December 09, 2006, 11:26:52 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 09, 2006, 12:13:56 AM
I knowing all things computer, am able to interpret this as a plea for help from Microsoft. 

Vista is going to be late!
Vista isn't as secure as they have led us to believe!
Vista actually is an intel port of OS X!

In reality, I hope it helps out Novell, since MS seems stuck in its ways.

Geeks of the world, become one with the universe!

There already is an Intel "port" of OSX. It's called... OSX. ;)
I meant for all the non-EFI 32-bit computers that everyone except gamers and video editors use.
And this isn't going to help Novell. On the contrary. The Open Source community is throwing a hissing fit against Novell and is tweaking GPL 3 to effectively bone Novell out of the deal.
That's just the Open Source community being afraid of what the union will do.  I hope it helps Linux out, but based on the fact that Microsoft likes to swallow up companies, I doubt that will happen.  pity.  :mowsad

Right now, it doesn't really look as if MS has seen "the error of its ways" or anything. :P
They're a business.  They only know money, and anything else (customer support, security, reliability, etc...), comes second.
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

bill

Quote from: Sid on December 09, 2006, 11:26:52 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on December 09, 2006, 12:13:56 AM
I knowing all things computer, am able to interpret this as a plea for help from Microsoft. 

Vista is going to be late!
Vista isn't as secure as they have led us to believe!
Vista actually is an intel port of OS X!

In reality, I hope it helps out Novell, since MS seems stuck in its ways.

Geeks of the world, become one with the universe!

There already is an Intel "port" of OSX. It's called... OSX. ;)

And this isn't going to help Novell. On the contrary. The Open Source community is throwing a hissing fit against Novell and is tweaking GPL 3 to effectively bone Novell out of the deal.

This is absolutely sickening. These are people pretending to be professionals throwing temper tantrums.

Azlan

No one who exists in the open source community is truly mature, they have little turf warms and jump at shadows.  their whole existence is an ironic mockery of the true meaning of open source and sharing.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azlan on December 09, 2006, 09:32:50 PM
No one who exists in the open source community is truly mature, they have little turf warms and jump at shadows.
I think you'll find most software development is like that.  It's just that with closed-source you don't get to see it happen.  Do you remember the Microsoft developer blog that turned up a few months ago?  That was fascinating.. because it showed a lot of internal disputes and squabbles.

This sort of thing isn't limited to software, either.  The TASCAM TSR-8 was victim to an internal squabble about how it should be installed.  The transport mechanism itself was designed to run on its back but because the cabinet was designed to stand up vertically, there isn't enough space to fit the cables when it's run horizontally.  Mine was bricked up with jam jars and external SCSI drives until I got a proper stand for it.
Likewise, the Fostex E16 was designed by one of the top TASCAM engineers who quit because they were forced by management to use relays in the audio path instead of solid-state power switching (relays tend to jam after a few years).

I'm sure other people can find other examples, although it would rather derail the thread.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E