2014/02/10 [Matilda #47] Lottery in June, corn be coming soon

Started by Eboreg, February 10, 2014, 08:00:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eboreg

Props to anyone who gets the reference. I can see where Kissriss's new name came from. I also like the expressions as Kissriss Mahilta Matilda goes over her options and resolves to stick it out. I imagine she's actually not going to come back to the Blue Volcano like everyone expects since there are way too many bad memories there.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Eboreg on February 10, 2014, 08:00:54 AM
Props to anyone who gets the reference. I can see where Kissriss's new name came from. I also like the expressions as Kissriss Mahilta Matilda goes over her options and resolves to stick it out. I imagine she's actually not going to come back to the Blue Volcano like everyone expects since there are way too many bad memories there.

It's from the original Shirley Jackson The Lottery short story, though I'm not sure what it means in this context; after all, that story was about human sacrifice, and Kissriss/Mahilta wasn't either chosen by lot or sacrificed, merely exiled.

Things look bleak to her now, but in present time, not Paradise itself would entice her to give up the friends and loved ones she has.

ArchTeryx

Quote from: Eboreg on February 10, 2014, 08:00:54 AM

It's from the original Shirley Jackson The Lottery short story.  (As I recall, the quote actually is, "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.")

Though I'm not sure what it means in this context; after all, that story was about human sacrifice, and Kissriss/Mahilta wasn't either chosen by lot or sacrificed, merely exiled.

Things look bleak to her now, but in present time, not Paradise itself would entice her to give up the friends and loved ones she has.

joshofspam

That look as she turns away from her old life, I have a feeling that she isn't holding a very high opinion on certain things as she turns away from it.

I wonder if that last bit might be telling of a possible future or maybe a bit of foreshadowing of things to come?
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Now I am kind of curious what penance she would have to do to be allowed to return...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

mithril

from the dialog, i'd say that a male returning to a clan (not just the original one) would have to challenge and defeat another male from that clan. which isn't that far from what many animals have to do in real life.. once kicked out of their pack/pride/troop/etc they have to fight/impress a member of any group they want to join.. often having to defeat and replace the main male to gain his spot.

Matilda's situation is made complex by her status.. her own tribe declared her male and exiled her.. but any other clan would see her as female. since exile seems to be a punishment reserved for males, i doubt there is a way for a female to leave exile.

Grey Wolf

Quote from: ArchTeryx on February 10, 2014, 08:29:56 AM
It's from the original Shirley Jackson The Lottery short story.  (As I recall, the quote actually is, "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon.")

Though I'm not sure what it means in this context; after all, that story was about human sacrifice, and Kissriss/Mahilta wasn't either chosen by lot or sacrificed, merely exiled.

Well, The Lottery was also about blindly following tradition.

I'm pretty sure word got around about Matilda, at least in that mountain. They would treat her as a male if she should return to any clan in the mountain.
Warning: This forum goer is prone to bouts of logic, and has a dry sense of humor.

joshofspam

Of course given time, it makes you wonder just what her outlook of her clans traditions are like now.

When talking to Dan about her brother, she could have been just over sensitive on how her story was affecting Dan. But in another way, it could have simply been her trying to keep up appearances even though she viewed what happened and the stories about her clan in a new light. It's hard to tell a lie when you aren't even sure if you did  it for the right reasons or not.

It will be interesting to see how living on the outside will affect how she veiws her past as time goes on.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Drakkenmensch

So I understand now, "Mahilta" is a title given to all the banished sons who killed their brother in a struggle for power in reference to the first banished one of their tribe, and Mathilda is probably originating from there as a female variant, or someone will just misunderstand that name when Kissriss will say it and she just goes with it.