2013/12/19 [PF #294] - Bad 'cubi, bad 'cubi, whatcha gonna do...

Started by ZacAttac21, December 20, 2013, 12:29:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZacAttac21

I bet I know where this is going. They'll recognize Dorcan for the murder of his former mayor, and they'll recognize Salomere as a wanted woman. :<

joshofspam

I don't know.

This doesn't seem to be the same town. So as long as it's an isolated community, they might not have heard anything like that.

Maybe they be released just at the last minute of them getting back information of the supposed identification. Though I doubt they could really hurt Dorcan now. Execution for an android has got to be a little bit more labor intensive then a noose or a guillotine.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Eboreg

I really like the energy blades here. Did you add that detail in response to Macy bringing them out in the main strip?
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

ZacAttac21

Quote from: joshofspam on December 20, 2013, 02:28:57 PM
I don't know.

This doesn't seem to be the same town. So as long as it's an isolated community, they might not have heard anything like that.

Maybe they be released just at the last minute of them getting back information of the supposed identification. Though I doubt they could really hurt Dorcan now. Execution for an android has got to be a little bit more labor intensive then a noose or a guillotine.
Don't forget, we're not dealing with midieval people here. Joshua's former boss (name escapes me) had pictures of Dorcan from when they tried to hang him a second time. Most likely he wasn't the only one who has some pictures of that by now. And in Salomere's case, since plenty of time has passed since she was accused and they have most likely spread her information to most of the world by now.

And I'm not particularly worried for Dorcan, either. I'm just waiting to see their reactions when they find out he's not technically a 'cubi. :3

I would be more worried for Salomere...

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eboreg on December 20, 2013, 09:24:27 PM
I really like the energy blades here. Did you add that detail in response to Macy bringing them out in the main strip?

It was actually because the foreshortening went astray and they came out looking like stubby daggers.  I modified the blades to make them more consistent, but they still looked a bit pitiful so I added enchantments to make them look more deadly.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eboreg

Quote from: Raxuno on December 21, 2013, 01:08:54 AM
Quote from: joshofspam on December 20, 2013, 02:28:57 PM
I don't know.

Don't forget, we're not dealing with midieval people here. Joshua's former boss (name escapes me) had pictures of Dorcan from when they tried to hang him a second time. Most likely he wasn't the only one who has some pictures of that by now. And in Salomere's case, since plenty of time has passed since she was accused and they have most likely spread her information to most of the world by now.

And I'm not particularly worried for Dorcan, either. I'm just waiting to see their reactions when they find out he's not technically a 'cubi. :3

I would be more worried for Salomere...

The real problem here is not an issue of communication but jurisdiction. Does this city recognize the rules that Dorcan and Salomere would be prosecuted under?  For example, if a guy committed a murder in Ghana then traveled to Canada, the most that the Canadians could do would be to extradite the guy back for a trial and it's not certain whether they would do that.  Similarly, if a guy is suspected of murder in China and is picked up by the police in the US, international relations could get in the way of an extradition, especially if the US populous feels that he was framed. We really don't know the geopolitical situation of Tapewolf's Furrae and how much power the Commission has.

In DMFA, the council was little more than a figurehead causing a largely decentralized justice system. There was also a system whereby powerful creatures would promise to protect cities in exchange for a significant leadership position as well as some other bonuses, including monetary ones. This suggests a feudal system. On the other hand, the existence of Starfire in PF suggests a more nationalistic system but corporations do have a decent amount of power as Yak(ovlev) did have the legal authority to sue Starfire. I haven't seen any evidence that Furraean legal structure is vastly different from American legal structure, perhaps with some organized crime as evidenced by the tech support arc but there still isn't enough evidence to say conclusively.
Quote from: Amber Williams on October 29, 2012, 05:55:06 PM
I expect if flamethrowers exist, Matilda would be tempted to install one into her shower.

Tapewolf

This will come up in chapter 34, but the short answer is that they don't yet know who Salomere is.  Most of my stories (barring some of the very early ones) assume a fragmented network of city-states and kingdoms which have their own individual laws and customs.  Adventurers, bounty hunters and so forth provide some measure of enforcement across borders.

As for whether there's a bounty on Dorcan at the moment, that doesn't really figure into the story - IMHO it's likely the authorities are trying to forget the incident happened at all and are hoping that Dorcan doesn't return.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E