Horrid accident involving my sister.

Started by Shax, February 14, 2013, 08:25:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shax

I visited her today. She's looking a bit better and the color is starting to return to her skin. I still felt so helpless just seeing her there like that...

Her car is gone now and got the insurance on it. We are already looking at a new car for her, one with plenty of safety features.

Her pelvic surgery is supposed to be today (the 21st). Wish her luck!

Lorien077

Glad to hear she's looking a bit better, and that your folks are getting a new car arranged.  Not sure if you're the religious type but I'll be praying for your sister's recovery and your family. 

(Sorry for being late to drop in btw ;; )
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

Shax

She had her surgery today, and it was a complete success. The screws are now in her pelvis and its set back in place.

Merlin

Quote from: Shax on February 21, 2013, 09:25:57 PM
She had her surgery today, and it was a complete success. The screws are now in her pelvis and its set back in place.

That's really good news! I hope the rest of the news you get is just as good

Lorien077

Quote from: Shax on February 21, 2013, 09:25:57 PM

Hurray!  Glad to hear it went so well.  Keep us updated when you have time and take care. 
You have my permission not to love me; I am a cathedral of deadbolts and I'd rather burn myself down than change the locks.

My scribbles: http://lorien077.deviantart.com/

James StarRunner

Sweet! Hopefully that will mean they will have her wake up soon!

joshofspam

Hopefully everything else is smooth sailing from here on out.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Shax

Really, really good news. With my sister's surgery a success, and the swelling showing signs of going down, she was taken off the sedatives and the pain killers were reduced. She might be waking up soon. She's being responsive, moving her head to sounds, understanding when they say they are going to suction her mouth (She actually clentches her teeth hehe) and her eyes are fluttering a bit.

I know she's a strong girl, and the fact she's pushing through so quickly proves it.

Tapewolf

Glad to hear it!  Let us know how she progresses.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

joshofspam

I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Damaris

Shax - I JUST saw this thread. I'm so glad to hear that she is doing better, and I'm adding energy to the prayers.

*hugs*

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

ChaosMageX

That's great to hear.  Hopefully her healing will continue to progress, if not accelerate.  Before you know it she'll be back to playing all her instruments again.

Icon by Sunblink

Kafzeil

Know I'm a tad late but great to hear. Know you have my wishes everything goes smoothly.
Real men wear Hats.<br /><br />Raz: Lili! An evil madman is building a fleet of psycho-death tanks to take over the world, and we\'re the only ones who can stop him! <br />Lili Zanotto: OH MY GOD! Let\'s make out! -Psychonauts

Shax

Thank you everyone for your continued support.

She still has yet to wake up, but at this point, I'm just assuming she's working the rest of the sedatives out of her system. It can be any minute or day now that she wakes up.

James StarRunner

She'll still be plenty tired when she wakes up, but I can't wait to hear the news when she does!

Shax

Hey all. People have been asking me questions of my address to send my sister cards.

Just send them to me and I'll drop them off in her room when I come back to the hospital.

----ASK ME FOR ADDRESS IN A PM!!----

Tapewolf

Bear in mind that if you post that publicly it may be harvested by spambots...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Shax

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 25, 2013, 07:47:45 PM
Bear in mind that if you post that publicly it may be harvested by spambots...

Good point Tape... Okie. If anyone wants it, ask me!

Shax

My sister has been moved to another facility close to Spectrum. Seeing as she is no longer in critical, and may be waking soon, they want to be ready to start her physical therapy. Other than that, no real updates to report on her.

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's more than enough - excellent news, Shax!
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Shax

Spot of news, not on my sister, but on the fucker that hit her...

My mother got some information from a friend of my dad's who used to work with my father when he was an officer. According to the officer, the guy was texting while driving when he hit her... Lovely... Let this be a lesson kids~

James StarRunner

I've already had to restrain myself from kicking cars of people who's drivers are on a cell phone and I'm not a violent person! It's like they're holding an open bottle of beer while driving!

VAE

Quote from: James StarRunner on March 04, 2013, 05:51:59 PM
I've already had to restrain myself from kicking cars of people who's drivers are on a cell phone and I'm not a violent person! It's like they're holding an open bottle of beer while driving!
An open bottle of beer, unless the beer was excessively strong, would actually be less bad in terms of  decrease of driver attention, AFAIK.
But yeah, what an utter fucking moron. Hope he gets his arse busted for it - at least back home it's illegal to use phone while driving otherwise than by a hands-free set.
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: VAE on March 04, 2013, 09:46:31 PM
But yeah, what an utter fucking moron. Hope he gets his arse busted for it - at least back home it's illegal to use phone while driving otherwise than by a hands-free set.

Not that hands-free avoids the problem of split attention - as I understand it, hands-free and hands-full both cause a significant and similar drop in the attentiveness of the driver, with similar deleterious effects on his or her driving ability.

Either way, when driving, your attention should be on the other maniacs on the road, not on the whizzy gadget in your pocket...

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 05, 2013, 07:12:50 AM
Quote from: VAE on March 04, 2013, 09:46:31 PM

Not that hands-free avoids the problem of split attention - as I understand it, hands-free and hands-full both cause a significant and similar drop in the attentiveness of the driver, with similar deleterious effects on his or her driving ability.

Either way, when driving, your attention should be on the other maniacs on the road, not on the whizzy gadget in your pocket...

i suggest having a designated phoner, while the driver drives both cellphones are in the passengers posession. otherwise its generally understood when you miss the call and call back in seven minutes saying 'i was driving'

Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 05, 2013, 09:59:48 AM
i suggest having a designated phoner, while the driver drives both cellphones are in the passengers posession. otherwise its generally understood when you miss the call and call back in seven minutes saying 'i was driving'

I don't get to use that excuse, though - I don't have a licence. Just a preference. ;-]

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 05, 2013, 10:31:57 AM
Quote from: Brunhidden on March 05, 2013, 09:59:48 AM

I don't get to use that excuse, though - I don't have a licence. Just a preference. ;-]

is talking on the cellphone dangerous while walking? or just not useful on the metro?

a cellphone walking accident may be hilarious
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Brunhidden on March 06, 2013, 12:16:29 AM
is talking on the cellphone dangerous while walking? or just not useful on the metro?

a cellphone walking accident may be hilarious

It's dangerous to _you_, but you're not hauling around a couple tons of metal at 60 meters a second. or more. So a second or two of inattention will get you moving a couple of paces or so, rather less than in a car.

And yes, I've seen cellphone accidents where someone talking on one walks into a pole.

As for the metro? Mobile phones don't work through 60-150ft of dirt, no.

Shax

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's awesome to hear, there, Shax.

Ah.. for those of us outside the country, is there a way to donate?