18/10/2012 [PF #233] - "Phat loot"

Started by Raskahn, November 02, 2012, 12:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raskahn

On one note, adventure tip#24 "Always loot the body before you do anything else."

Aaaand on the other.....mass-to-energy?  sounds good, eternity as a battery....untill you're used up. I guess.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on November 02, 2012, 12:06:12 PM
On one note, adventure tip#24 "Always loot the body before you do anything else."

Aaaand on the other.....mass-to-energy?  sounds good, eternity as a battery....untill you're used up. I guess.

I feel that I missed a trick in that it looks like Niall is looting the corpse.  As for mass-to-energy conversion, the occasionally jokes about that are inspired by System Shock, a first-person cyberpunk RPG from 1995.
It had an interesting plot device where, if the character died, they would be dragged by robots into a healing machine that looked uncomfortably similar to a jelly mould.  After this, they would either be revived or lobotomised and converted into an enemy cyborg, depending on whether or not you had previously reclaimed and repurposed the machine.

Pretty much anything which in modern games would count as a wall and be ignored, you could click on and get a description.  One of the wall textures looked like a red industrial washing-machine and was labelled 'matter converter'.
My brother wanted to have him stick his head in the matter converter, to see whether the robots would be able to heal that.

(As an aside, the physics in that game were sufficiently bizarre as to make me wonder if the player was 'Cubi, since he never needed to eat or sleep, and could use objects about 13 feet away, as if he had wing-tentacles, see also:  http://it-he.org/sshock.htm#hackerexplained )

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Lore

You know, this page raises some interesting questions. Could an android suffer from some of the effects his body had taken before he was... "imaged" into the robot? For instance, is our fox here possibly suffering from the amnesia that could have resulted from the traumatic head injury his body suffered, if his brain was imaged after his death? Of course, I'm assuming brain-imaging is even relevant here, and that memories aren't stored directly in the soul. Which, the more I think about it, the soul is probably the only thing that effects the android at all*, so I guess all of my questions are moot.

*As I recall (and correct me if I'm wrong), the body for the android is designed based off the soul, and then the soul is shunted into it, so it probably doesn't matter at all if the brain was effected by the mode of death. Still, now I'm wondering about disparities between soul-memories and brain-memories, or soul-memories and reality....

TL;DR, I'm probably putting way too much thought into this page, but I'm also thoroughly curious about what's happening and going to happen, so good job!

(Also... Niall handled this all terribly, in my opinion. Edit: which isn't to say that's not in character or understandable/relatable, just... wow, this whole scene played out in the worst possible way for that fox.)

Edit #2: though he does seem to be feeling phantom pain from the head injury, so that would imply he has a soul memory (or brain memory, or something) of it... could that also cause amnesia?

joshofspam

If I remember correctly, didn't Josh have a bit of difficulty recalling his last minutes?

Maybe short term memories don't transfer as well as long term memories.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lore on November 02, 2012, 08:35:25 PM
(Also... Niall handled this all terribly, in my opinion. Edit: which isn't to say that's not in character or understandable/relatable, just... wow, this whole scene played out in the worst possible way for that fox.)

It would have been boring if it had gone precisely to plan.  A lot of the fun I had with writing these resurrection scenes was coming up with different variations on them (Dorcan coming back as a Being, Wils coming back as a panther, Lutlakes not realising he died and the other guy a couple of years down the line who thinks he's a ghost).
The key thing was to try and avoid having exactly the same scene repeated over and over again because that would just be boring.

QuoteEdit #2: though he does seem to be feeling phantom pain from the head injury, so that would imply he has a soul memory (or brain memory, or something) of it... could that also cause amnesia?
This will be covered later, no worries

LionHeart

Most likely he's in shock - he has just stumbled over his own corpse, after all. That sort of thing can make it a bit hard to think clearly...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Raskahn

Oh don't get me wrong Tape, I knew very well that Niall wasn't looting. Afterall he even points out they forgot to take the wallet before.

The action of taking something off of a dead body, now that's where i got my title and comments from. I may have been playing a bit too much Elder Scrolls V......

So as far as i'm concerned, nothing wrong with this one.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lone_Wolf on November 03, 2012, 10:01:43 AM
The action of taking something off of a dead body, now that's where i got my title and comments from. I may have been playing a bit too much Elder Scrolls V......

Ah, but I have too.  I suddenly made the connection just after I uploaded the page, but decided against changing anything.