Headwing Central (OOC)

Started by Eli_In_Chains, October 04, 2012, 12:48:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eli_In_Chains

Alright, so for JamesCray's character's roommate, I've had to make a third character of my own. Bother. Oh well, I have the spare time. :P

Name: Matthias Kish'Ta

Years Enrolled: 41

Clan: Kish'Ta

Species: Lapine

Current Major: Cinematography

Appearance: Matt's a BUNNEH!! ...in all seriousness, he's a very bright blue rabbit, with dark blue markings over his body that everyone assumes are tattoos (they're actually colorshifts that he likes so much he decided to keep them basically full-time, hence the patterns being inconsistent from day to day; they're gone when he's asleep) and a clan marking on his ribcage, left side. For the average boy his bright green hair could be considered long, but it's still short enough to stay out of his eyes. He has a rather short stature, being a rabbit, and at best he makes it to the average person's shoulder height. His chest, stomach, and the underside of his tail are all marked with white, and uncommonly for the Kish'Ta clan he has feathered wings, the colors of which he inherited from his incubus father: black and electric blue.

Personality: Matthias is rather unusual compared to many of the Kish'Ta clan... he doesn't get off on inspiring terror in others through mind-games and manipulating their dreams. He does still have a very strong taste for fear in others, though, and he likes to get his fix by inviting and/or dragging his friends to horror movies. He does love his horror shows, himself, and in fact would love to go into the industry; he's studying everything he can find about movie-making in the hopes that he'll be able to make horror films after he graduates. He is, generally speaking, harmless, though he can tend to wear on people's nerves; his dad always said he ought to have been born a Dimanika instead. Despite this he is genuinely intelligent, he just doesn't like to make a big deal of it. Matt doesn't eat anymore, though occasionally he does indulge in a couple hours' of sleep. He still makes somewhat regular use of the bed in his room, however, for snuggling purposes: he is convinced that somewhere generations back in his ancestry he has some Quoar blood in him, as a result of a moderate love affinity that was uncovered by Dr. Ink, someone who he personally rather likes, though he again disagrees with his somewhat more than harmless methods. He's probably one of the few Cubi who enjoyed being screened by the good doctor.

Background: Not all that much to tell; he has no memories of his mother, apparently she was out of the picture by the time he was three, but his dad was always very protective of him and raised him properly. He did pick up a few of his father's tastes in movies from a very young age, which is where he got his drive to go into the film industry, but he and his father disagree on several points as regards how to treat beings. His father, coming up fast on his thousandth birthday, is rather old-school in his views, and doesn't think beings deserve much or any consideration in the grand scheme of things, whereas Matt grew up with a couple of being friends at school (all probably dead by now) and thinks treating them like dumb animals is cruel. Hence why he doesn't like to manipulate them unfairly to get his emotional fix, preferring harmless ways of scaring them. Of course, being a Cubi, all he would have to do to scare most beings is show his headwings and put his acting classes to good use looking sinister, then have a good laugh after he couldn't keep a straight face anymore.

Tapewolf

I should perhaps point out that Niall hasn't actually heard what his roomie was thinking, but is now in a position where he will catch it if whatsisname repeats it again.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Eli_In_Chains

Typing up a full post on a smartphone is terribly difficult and time consuming, and then when you finish it turns out a half done version got posted twenty minutes ago when you accidentally looked at the submit button. *sigh* All better now, though. Curse my hobby for following me to work.

AmberCross

You know... that explains so much. I was really confused about that last sentence that just dead ended. Of course this means MY halfway done post gets scrapped too, but ah well.

Tapewolf

Time seems to be cropping up a bit, we might want to form a consensus at some point :3

Regarding time of day in a visual sense, I believe that's up to Fa'Lina.  While there are cloisters and other outdoor areas in the facility, the entire academy is contained within some kind of hyperrealm ( http://missmab.com/Demo/Leader12.php ).
AFAIK the sky and outdoor environment is maintained by her power (recall that she was able to cause lightning on cue when Abel was taken to SAIA).
To make things easier for students and staff who need to sleep, I would be amazed if she didn't maintain the usual 24 hour day (or whatever Furrae has).
My pet theory/educated guess is that she probably keeps SAIA in lockstep with Zinvth time, and unless the GM or anyone else objects Niall will probably assume that is the case.

[spoiler]Theory as to SAIA being on Zinvth time follows:

Dimensional realms appear to require a physical mooring, such as Mab's Fae glen and later Dan's cupboard (Mab cites this herself).  Matilda makes her living selling objects with a pandimensional home attached to them.
It is reasonable to assume that SAIA has such a mooring also and since Jyrras et al got into SAIA through the basement, I feel it is quite likely that the Academy's entry/exit point is in the Lost Lake area.  Which would explain why Lost Lake is considered 'special' and why there seem to be a cluster of 'Cubi in the area, if that's where the students end up when the leave.

Again, this is a theory and it could be wrong.[/spoiler]

VAE

Ah, time synchronization...
*strangles Kaf for not replying yet* :3
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

AmberCross

That probably won't matter too much until we actually run into each other though. For all we care, the meetings of various roommates could be separated by days or weeks before we sinc up our character timelines. In fact it even makes more sense that way. Five new cubi students to SAIA all on the same day? That seems unlikely to me. Granted... probability and Fa'Lina don't always tend to agree so who knows. The timeline of Tristan and Blaine for instance has not yet been settled and in fact we've already passed through eight to ten hours in our time while Blaine was asleep.

Eli_In_Chains

Of course, I never outright said it was eight to ten hours, specifically because I wanted to sort out the time issue. For now, every character is running in separate sections of time. Blaine and Tristan slightly behind. Currently, after the sleep incident, I would say they're on par with the time of Kart and Mira.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Are we sure that mind-shields are "two way"? I had always kind of assumed that they merely kept other people from reading your thoughts, given comics 562 and 564, and the implication that Abel habitually keeps his own mind-shield up.

Edit: Sorry, I'm typing in haste. This is somewhat delivered at the exchange Tape and I had, but also for the future, I at least was under the impression that 'Cubi could in theory "talk" to each other with surface mind-reading and a quick raising and lowering of the mind-shields, even though we don't see that ever happening in the comic. I know Abel mentioned "Filters", but presumably that could be overcome by the mental equivalent of shouting :P
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Eli_In_Chains

In my understanding, there are two kinds of things you could call a mind shield in this context. Firstly, the type you mentioned meant to keep others out of your thoughts. This would be one-way. Second, the sort of filter that you use to tune out and ignore the thoughts of others. Either could be conceivably called a mind shield, but they seem separate in canon. I think the root of confusion in this case may be vague terminology; I think it would be best if we called shields keeping thoughts in "Shields" and shields keeping thoughts out "filters" from now on.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on October 14, 2012, 09:03:13 PM
I think the root of confusion in this case may be vague terminology; I think it would be best if we called shields keeping thoughts in "Shields" and shields keeping thoughts out "filters" from now on.

Yeah, that's been my assumption.  They seem to be separate processes but I'm not completely sure.

Eli_In_Chains

It does appear to be two processes, as such in this game we'll have to treat it as that.

Eli_In_Chains

My apologies for the two-day leave of absence I took. I was expecting to be able to post yesterday, however I hadn't quite reached my normal level of functioning yet--sleep deprivation and a subtle hangover and all that nonsense--so I held off, to avoid giving anybody a subpar reply. I'm back now, however, and I would like to thank my partners for their patience.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Just writing an apology for not keeping up in posting. I am reading (skimming) to follow; but I've got a midterm on Saturday and that's been eating a lot of time and energy. It'll get better, and I"ll have a post by Sunday, if not sooner.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

VAE

Ugh, exams are nasty stuff.
Good luck!
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

Best of luck with your exam, Corgatha. ^^ Looking forward to seeing you back, but don't worry if it's a while, real life is more important.

justacritic

LionHeart

I do apologise for taking so long. Real Life has been taking up a lot of my time and energy lately, leaving me little to spare for creative stuff.

Thanks for your patience.
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

Tapewolf

Dunno if the GM wants to handle the scene change with Niall and the gym...

Eli_In_Chains

As I mentioned, the players can describe scenes within the roleplay themselves. If you like I can play Quill, should she make an appearance.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on November 06, 2012, 03:29:32 PM
As I mentioned, the players can describe scenes within the roleplay themselves. If you like I can play Quill, should she make an appearance.

I actually have no real idea what to do with the gym scene.  I was kind of worried about having Niall offer to show him around because he'd probably ask for something I'm not sure I'm qualified to write :P  But it was the obvious thing for Niall himself to do at that point.

Eli_In_Chains

Then if you like, I'd be happy to describe the gym properly, give an idea of what's going on there and the like. I assume that's the role GMs usually play on this site?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Eli_In_Chains on November 08, 2012, 08:16:26 AM
Then if you like, I'd be happy to describe the gym properly, give an idea of what's going on there and the like. I assume that's the role GMs usually play on this site?

Usually it's set in a location invented and maintained by the GM, so yes, if you could :3  It doesn't help that I've never seen the inside of a gym since school (I cycle to work instead).

Eli_In_Chains

Taken care of. It's been a while since I've seen a gym as well, but not nearly as long as for you. If I'm not mistaken, it's been since I was a gymnastics coach four or five years ago.

...*noms on cookies as a self-reward for doing a good thing* What? Don't look at me like that. It's not my fault your cookies never got to you.

VAE

Hm, Corgatha's post makes me think...
I suspect a 'cubi gym would have equipment to exercise abilities specifically bound to shapeshifting and the art of tentacle use.
Saphroneth

Eli_In_Chains

It is within the realm of possibility; but what, in the end, would such equipment look like and do? Shapeshifting can be practiced sans equipment, and strength training ones tentacles can be accomplished with standard weights.

Tapewolf

Eli_In_Chains

At JamesCray's request, his character--and as a result my third character Matthias--is being temporarily suspended, to be picked up when he has less on his plate. ^^ As neither of our characters have run into anybody else's, the timeline is quite squishy around them, so we can just bring them back later and retcon what's already happened as having gone on later in the roleplay, if he turns out to be less busy in the future. If not, I wish him best of luck in his other roleplays, his spot here will always be available for him.

Techcubi

Eli_In_Chains

Certainly are. This roleplay will be open indefinitely.