PS VITA- Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow (Cover Artwork Box)

Started by DjRunza, April 13, 2012, 10:09:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

justacritic

Why should you let the mundane stop you? Kick reason to the curb and go  beyond the impossible, that's the ... now where did that phrase come from again?

Anyway, did you use a pixel or vector based program to come up with this? Vectors can be useful at times, but I hate the fact that all vector based programs seem to be payware.

Ignuus66

(credit: Gabi)

Turnsky

Quote from: justacritic on April 17, 2012, 09:37:41 AM
Why should you let the mundane stop you? Kick reason to the curb and go  beyond the impossible, that's the ... now where did that phrase come from again?

Anyway, did you use a pixel or vector based program to come up with this? Vectors can be useful at times, but I hate the fact that all vector based programs seem to be payware.

http://inkscape.org/

you name it, there's prolly some freeware variant out there put together by some boffins under the GNU license.

THAT said, most publishers only use things like illustrator for creating base graphics like one would photoshop, layout, etc for more complex things like covers, books, pamphlets and whatnot are handled by other programs such as quark, indesign, and similarly themed programs. granted this is for print quality stuff with bleed and trim marks.

here's a freeware variant: http://www.scribus.net/canvas/Scribus

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

DjRunza, in the future make sure to properly credit any work that isn't your own, and be more clear about what it is you're asking for critique on.  It can be a legal no-no if you try to claim credit for work that isn't your own (the character art that you used, for example) or don't give credit to the proper sources for work.

DjRunza

Quote from: Mao Laoren on April 17, 2012, 03:03:24 PM
DjRunza, in the future make sure to properly credit any work that isn't your own, and be more clear about what it is you're asking for critique on.  It can be a legal no-no if you try to claim credit for work that isn't your own (the character art that you used, for example) or don't give credit to the proper sources for work.

Ahaha but yes I did gave a credit to that person which I asked him for permission to re-edit the artwork in a first place and he just said like "Ok sure no problem. Just drop by my name there to give a credit and the rest just do whatever you like!". So I was like "Oh ok sure. Thanks." I did said that the artwork was originated by that person and if anything you want to re-edit that picture, ask him for permission first before you actually do anything on it, I said that. Lol well I usually ask people especially Castlevania fans about whether or not my own storyline is actually good or bad or is it possible to be the sequel after Dawn of Sorrow. At the same time they can give their own opinion and suggestion about my storyline because the main point for making this fan-made is to support and convince KONAMI and IGA to bring back our old Castlevania 2D games back to us with HD graphics. But most character arts that I've been used all along was actually copyright materials from Konami itself as you may know it. And i hope its nothing wrong with that. Arranging the layouts, the colors, the text and everything. Because its fan-made after all isn't it? On a side note, I really appreciate your advices Mao Laoren. And I really do hope that you understand why I made this fan-made storyline. In the future, right after I finish ALL these chapters, I try to buy the Adobe Flash Player and start working on it to create this fan-made game. I'm doing my best to do this. :D

DjRunza

Heellooo guys! How are you doing? Feeling great? By the way, there is something that I would like to talk about here. I need a guidance to actually make my project runs smoothly. Which means, I need an extra "weapon" to actually make this happen. Yesterday I made a thread about my fangame storyline of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow in IGN entertainment forums and had an argument with someone regarding about this fangame storyline. Most of the comments that they gave to me were something like very bad feedbacks from some of them which makes myself demotivated and I don't give a damn what they said to me simply because this is my project after all and I wanna make it work in the end. Here's my forum thread website "http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/ps-vita-castlevania-souls-of-sorrow.452446937/" You can read all of them which I'm kind of disappointed with it and some of them really LOOK DOWN for what I've done so far. Nevertheless, I'm very keen to need some help to actually create a character Sprite with HD graphic like how you played in Castlevania: Harmony of Despair. For an example like Soma, Julius, Yoko, Old or Elder Jonathan and Old or Elder Charlotte Sprite HD characters from Castlevania: Harmony of Despair in order to show them the prove that we actually working on this project. Do you have any advices for this or you can do sprites on your computer? If you guys love and curious about my fangame storyline and a true fans of Castlevania, you are indeed welcome to my project. Unfortunately, I can't create a fine sprite. I know this is so awkward, but I'm so sorry to explain to you guys everything about this. I don't force anybody to help me or the other way round. Lol.

Ignuus66

To be frank, the best way to learn to sprite (I am a decent one, but I never finish any projects that I begin) Is to take existing good sprites simular to the one you are making, (I emphasize on multiple ones) and analyze what makes them good, and then try to construct your own, and if you feel that something is off, you check the other sprites for what they did.
After a few tries, you get the hang of it and won't need referance sprites any more.
(the hardest part is animating the sprite, and keep in mind making sprites requires a great deal of patience)

That's how I learned anyways... Also with your Fanfiction, check what people disliked in it (disregard any post that doesn't detail what they disliked in it) and try to fix the flaws. (nothing is perfect after all) Also to be fair, I'm not a big castlevania fan and only played the original one (online) and another one on my friend's ancient machines.

Also I checked the forum, and to be frank bluffing about how a project is doing is NOT a great way to get people excited.

DjRunza

Quote from: Ignuus66 on April 25, 2012, 09:52:41 AM
To be frank, the best way to learn to sprite (I am a decent one, but I never finish any projects that I begin) Is to take existing good sprites simular to the one you are making, (I emphasize on multiple ones) and analyze what makes them good, and then try to construct your own, and if you feel that something is off, you check the other sprites for what they did.
After a few tries, you get the hang of it and won't need referance sprites any more.
(the hardest part is animating the sprite, and keep in mind making sprites requires a great deal of patience)

That's how I learned anyways... Also with your Fanfiction, check what people disliked in it (disregard any post that doesn't detail what they disliked in it) and try to fix the flaws. (nothing is perfect after all) Also to be fair, I'm not a big castlevania fan and only played the original one (online) and another one on my friend's ancient machines.

Also I checked the forum, and to be frank bluffing about how a project is doing is NOT a great way to get people excited.

Hmm I see. I did told them and stated in that forum saying that the project just started as a toddler who just learn how to walk and haven't even started on any sprites, screenshots or whatsoever and in the end, they thought I was lying to them. Well, some people loves for being such a douchebag and some people just like it and feel more curiosity to even know what's my storyline is going to be like. Thanks for the feedback Ignus66, now you give me some motivation to start doing the sprites. I'll do my best. :)

Ignuus66

Quote from: DjRunza on April 25, 2012, 10:19:48 AM
Hmm I see. I did told them and stated in that forum saying that the project just started as a toddler who just learn how to walk and haven't even started on any sprites, screenshots or whatsoever and in the end, they thought I was lying to them. Well, some people loves for being such a douchebag and some people just like it and feel more curiosity to even know what's my storyline is going to be like. Thanks for the feedback Ignus66, now you give me some motivation to start doing the sprites. I'll do my best. :)
Good luck!  :grin

llearch n'n'daCorna

You might also get a better response if you post coherently, and use paragraphs to break up the chunks of thought into parse-able slices. Posting a one-paragraph single-line post that has 297 words in it is difficult to read; on my screen, it shows up as 12 or so lines of wrapped, justified text, with little or no easily followable thread.

If you use line breaks and suchlike to split your thoughts up, you'll find people much more receptive.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

DjRunza

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on April 30, 2012, 01:05:00 PM

You might also get a better response if you post coherently, and use paragraphs to break up the chunks of thought into parse-able slices. Posting a one-paragraph single-line post that has 297 words in it is difficult to read; on my screen, it shows up as 12 or so lines of wrapped, justified text, with little or no easily followable thread.

If you use line breaks and suchlike to split your thoughts up, you'll find people much more receptive.

Hmm I see. Do you think it's too late to modify the text inside the contain and everything right now? :( Now I've learned about how much the paragraphs are actually very important in terms of giving thoughts. Thank you so much for the feedback llearch n'n'daCorna, I really appreciate it. :)

DjRunza

Greetings Ladies and Gentleman, how are you guys doing? Feeling great? This thread is little bit of dusty due to my absence of been told by some of the Castlevania fans to modify and revamping the layouts for my cover artwork box for third time (I guess). Hence, here I am once again, would like to show all of you Castlevania fans about my LATEST fangame cover artwork box of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow.

Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow's plot of the storyline (UPDATE):
"Ever since the incident of the Demon Castle War in 1999, Lord Dracula had finally defeated for good by the hands of the Belmont clan. However, in the year of 2038, a young legendary warrior, Soma Cruz stands once again alongside with his dear friends to face the final battle against the two Castlevania's own favorite Immortal villains, Death and Olrox are the only one left and they who attempt to rule the demon castle after Lord Dracula's demise. 2 years after the incident of the Dark Lord Candidates which they've miserably failed, Olrox has become the new king of the "Immortal Vampires" who living in a pure hatred and revengeful world upon the humanity and living in an agony upon his elder brother's death, Brauner. The Legendary son of Lord Dracula, Alucard, may have defeated him once but the man, who can bring Olrox back alive from the dead, Death, resurrected him by using Olrox's SOUL. Death tells Olrox everything about what had happened to his elder brother and how he died. Olrox's new comrades, "The Divisions of the 7 Immortal Vampires" and his beloved armies, attempt to rule over the world and wipe out all the humanity for eternity. Prepare for the FINAL chapter of sorrow! Peace and victorious must be prevail forever!"

What say you? :)

James StarRunner

Quote from: DjRunza on May 06, 2012, 02:48:09 PM
Greetings Ladies and Gentleman, how are you guys doing? Feeling great? This thread is little bit of dusty due to my absence of been told by some of the Castlevania fans to modify and revamping the layouts for my cover artwork box for third time (I guess). Hence, here I am once again, would like to show all of you Castlevania fans about my LATEST fangame cover artwork box of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow.
Well, it's an improvement... There's still a lot of things wrong with it though. I realize that you don't draw, but you shouldn't use copyrighted art. It's art theft, simple as that. The summary on the back needs a revision, the grammar still needs work. I see others had told you the same things before. If you want to improve, you really should take these suggestions to heart. At the very least, get someone who's got a better command on the english language to be your editor. I suggested the same thing in your note. I'm worried that everyones concerns are falling on deaf ears. You've asked for suggestions, but it looks like you haven't listened. Constructive criticism is one of the best ways I learn. If you want to make this a game, there's still lots to learn. Please take this in a good way and improve with the suggestions and concerns people give you.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2012, 03:29:26 PM
Quote from: DjRunza on May 06, 2012, 02:48:09 PM
Well, it's an improvement... There's still a lot of things wrong with it though. I realize that you don't draw, but you shouldn't use copyrighted art. It's art theft, simple as that. The summary on the back needs a revision, the grammar still needs work. I see others had told you the same things before. If you want to improve, you really should take these suggestions to heart. At the very least, get someone who's got a better command on the english language to be your editor. I suggested the same thing in your note. I'm worried that everyones concerns are falling on deaf ears. You've asked for suggestions, but it looks like you haven't listened. Constructive criticism is one of the best ways I learn. If you want to make this a game, there's still lots to learn. Please take this in a good way and improve with the suggestions and concerns people give you.

Lol I've even received a lot of constructive criticism more than this one. However, I take it as a lesson, of course. Now I'm trying to learn and straightening out my grammer skills slowly by slowly. Yes exactly, until to the extend of revamping the layouts by using the copyrighted arts on my Photoshop is the only ability that I can do in my art skills for now. Or perhaps you could help me out to draw since you told me once before that you can draw? :P I see a lot of fan-made and fangame are actually using the copyrighted artworks from the original game respectively. Ahahaha alright sure! Not a problem at all. I would like to say thank you so much for the advices and suggestions you gave to me and I really appreciate it. And dammit, I forgot to change the grammer words on the back cover box before I actually posted that one. All in all, what do you think about the latest update of the cover artwork box above there? Excellent? Good? Moderate? Bad? Totally sucks? 

James StarRunner

Yes, I can draw, but I hardly have the time for my own projects.

As for the quality... I'm not sure I can judge that fairly with all the other art used to make it.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2012, 04:41:06 PM
Yes, I can draw, but I hardly have the time for my own projects.

As for the quality... I'm not sure I can judge that fairly with all the other art used to make it.

Ah I see, ok why don't we put it this way. Once you have done your projects that you are currently doing, are you interested and willing enough to help me out to draw some new characters for my fangame of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow? Especially the artwork picture that you saw from my previous thread which was about the "7 Divisions of Immortal Vampires"? Honestly speaking, I can feel that we will be able to make this a fine game and fine artworks since you can draw and have the basic of programming as well. Nevermind, let's just take this slowly as long as we actually have something to update on this fangame. I would be really happy if you could join me along with this project. The more people join this, the more the merrier. Don't you think so my friend? Lol. I thought of creating a new page for Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow on facebook and invite all the Castlevania fans artists and other fans but its really depends on them whether or not they actually interested with my own idea of storyline or they accept to join me along or not. Mind if you could join me too? And are you interested with my storyline?

James StarRunner

Simply put, I can't help and not really interested in the story, no offense.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2012, 06:15:55 PM
Simply put, I can't help and not really interested in the story, no offense.

Ahaha neah its alright. What about drawing the 7 new characters that I've mention earlier?

James StarRunner

Quote from: DjRunza on May 06, 2012, 06:24:59 PMAhaha neah its alright. What about drawing the 7 new characters that I've mention earlier?
Perhaps, but not in the immediate future. You should check out my style first and see what you think. I figure it may be advertising myself, but since I can see you asking anyways you'll find most of my art at http://www.furaffinity.net/user/starrunner

I may not be a bad artist, but I find people saying that I draw 'cute' all the time. I'm not sure I'm best suited to get the dark, horror feel you need.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 06, 2012, 08:00:04 PM
Quote from: DjRunza on May 06, 2012, 06:24:59 PMAhaha neah its alright. What about drawing the 7 new characters that I've mention earlier?
Perhaps, but not in the immediate future. You should check out my style first and see what you think. I figure it may be advertising myself, but since I can see you asking anyways you'll find most of my art at http://www.furaffinity.net/user/starrunner

I may not be a bad artist, but I find people saying that I draw 'cute' all the time. I'm not sure I'm best suited to get the dark, horror feel you need.

Hmm as far as from what I can see throughout your art style and your artworks, I can most probably accept it simply because as a result, you could actually come up with a good artwork picture of the new 7 characters in my fangame of Castlevania: Souls of Sorrow eventhough it would turns out to be a cute artwork picture of them but I would be surprise if you actually draw them and in the end, it does look like a dark and horror feel. Therefore, I shall welcome and accept you to draw the 7 new characters and this would be the 2nd stage of sketching and illustrating them. Personally, I really like your artworks and your drawing skills as well. Cheers! :D

DjRunza

James StarRunner

As I said, I can't take this on immediately. I don't charge much either, but I'd still have to figure out how much seven people would cost. But I'd have to come to that when I get there and finish these other projects. If you find someone else before then, that's alright too.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 10, 2012, 02:16:10 PM
As I said, I can't take this on immediately. I don't charge much either, but I'd still have to figure out how much seven people would cost. But I'd have to come to that when I get there and finish these other projects. If you find someone else before then, that's alright too.

Oops, forgive me of my bluntness. By the way James StarRunner, you might despise me when I'm going to say this. However, I don't do any commission paid upon an artist and I just would like to find an artist that can help me to draw for fun and without getting paid simply because as I've mention earlier, the purpose of me making this project is for fun, supporting and bringing back our old beloved Castlevania 2D gameplay with HD graphics back to us. What say you?

James StarRunner

I say I unfortunately have debt issues to solve and have to focus my free time on paying customers and my demos. Sorry man.

DjRunza

Quote from: James StarRunner on May 10, 2012, 09:59:01 PM
I say I unfortunately have debt issues to solve and have to focus my free time on paying customers and my demos. Sorry man.

Ahaha neah it's ok man, don't worry about it. I would like to wish you good luck and all the best for your current projects James StarRunner. Am very glad to meet you here in this forum and thread. Cheers! :D

Darkmoon

Quote from: Turnsky on April 17, 2012, 12:25:08 AM
Ten years of study to even start? That's a bit much, it actually doesn't take that long to 'learn' how to draw. It's like with anything, you don't start out that great, but hey, you're learning and you'll generally make leaps and bounds within the first one or two years, which is commonly how long most art classes last here from a curriculum standpoint.

HOWEVER. one does not need study to learn how to draw, the will to do so and resourcefulness to find the right guides for that path may be all you need

I'm not saying Whitefox here is wrong-

I'll say he's wrong, because he is wrong. First and foremost, I have an art degree, one that I got only eight years ago. Secondly, that art degree was in graphic design -- more specifically, web design. That is not a degree that requires a knowledge of classical art or the skills required for classically rendered drawings. It's only in the last two years that I'd say I've worked on the skills I need to consider myself an "artist" in the illustration sense, and then only in the last three months that I finally gave it a whirl to see if I had gotten my skills in order to actually start "drawing" the way Amber, Nyil, Mao, and my other artists friends draw. Within the next year I'll have a fully-hand drawn comic up and running.

I get that Whitefox has personal issues that limit his ability to work at a "normal" speed, but I think it would be best if he didn't assume that the way he has to do things (and learn things, and process things) was the way everyone had to do it.

Also, for the record, an inability to control oneself is no reason for the world to write off an entire branch of the entertainment industry.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...