Colonization [Mature, OOC/Signup] (Closed)

Started by Arcalane, May 07, 2011, 06:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Everyone's job is highly unnecessary for this adventure. That was the whole point! :U

I'm just not sure exactly what more you need to know that you can't already extrapolate from the planetary situation of 'hot, dry, and unsuitable for plantlife'.

For reference: Scout car seats two (driver, gunner), think along the lines of the EDF Scout. APC seats six passengers (three to each side, facing each other) in a rear compartment, and a driver + a gunner up front. The rear and middle seats from each side can be removed and replaced with a stretcher/gurney, but it's not going to be a comfortable ride. :B

Ed: For further reference, the crates in the dropship/shuttle contain food, water, firearms, medicine... plenty of supplies. More than enough to make it there and back, and probably camp out for a good couple of weeks too. If it's something you could reasonably expect an expedition of ~half a dozen people to be supplied with for an excursion into potentially hostile terrain, it's there.

Malakin

Soooo, internet down again, sorry for breaking the flow (I guess?).

Anyway, back now.
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

SquirrelWizard

If you will excuse the canned message.

Sorry about my inactivity lately, I've been working through some things, about which I've posted in the villa. I hope to get back to RPing soon.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

techmaster-glitch

Hrm. I kinda wish you would slow down a bit, Arcalane, we've hardly had any inter-character roleplaying at all. :/

Point taken about current situation, though when it becomes feasible, just sitting back and letting the characters chat would be appreciated by me, at least. Dunno about anyone else, though.

Arcalane

Well you have a little time now, although I admit I should've left a little on the flight over. :B

ShadesFox

The All Purpose Fox

Azlan

Quote from: ShadesFox on July 21, 2011, 10:19:02 PM
All ahead full and damn the dialog!

Second tree to the right and on till morning, I suppose.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

AmberCross

I concur with my esteemed compatriots. While I usually find that setting up interactions is a good way to give depth to an RP, I'm still kind of in waiting mode to find out what's going on in the background of this set-up. Plus I find that I get a better sense of characters by seeing how they react to events better than what they say in conversation. Which incidentally I think is something I need to work on cause I'm having trouble making my characters stay consistant. I often find I make them act how I want them to act so that I can accomplish something rather than have them accomplish something based off how I want them to act if that makes sense. While on the subject, does anyone have advice for how to to keep my character's personality steady? Currently I manage to even out after the RP has been running a while but the point I reach is often far from what I started at.

techmaster-glitch

Darn, guess I'm the only one for that. Oh well.

Side note, to Arcalane, I know I didn't put anything about Jaks knowing how to handle firearms in my initial profile, but I hope the scenario I've given is okay for it (really just didn't want to see that stuff go unused. xD ) If it's not okay, however, just tell me, and I'll remove that entire bit of my post and just have him grab a pistol with a 'how hard could it be?' attitude. If it helps, though, I do have an IRL friend into guns, and he taught me a few of the basic rules (i.e., the gun is ALWAYS loaded, even when it's not; NEVER point at anything you don't intend to shoot, check bullet magazine before using, things like that. Admittedly, I've never actually -shot- a gun, but eh. :animesweat ), so I'm hoping that this isn't far-fetched.

AmberCross

In my experience, knowing the rules of safety means you're allowed to HOLD a gun. However there is NO substitute for actual practice and while you might be able to fire the darned thing, your aim is more than likely to be terrible. Furthermore, every gun is different. Some are more different, but even those that are similar will require some readjustment. Knowing how to shoot a rifle is not really akin to knowing how to shoot a shotgun even if both involve aiming down the barrel and pulling the trigger (and almost always breathing out). Your character should be able to figure out those difficulties quickly enough if he's shot something similar in the past, especially if his cyber implants come with data banks on tips and stuff.

It feels weird to realize that I actually know what I'm talking about on this subject, but then I suppose that's what happens when you were a boy scout as a kid and earned merit badges out the wazoo...

techmaster-glitch

Heh. I have no delusions about actually being able to use a gun myself IRL just from those basic rules, believe you me. And yeah, Jaks is mostly familiar with rifles from the IC-mentioned hunting, but for the hostage incident, the officer had him use an automatic weapon, the first and only time he's used one.  I do realize that doesn't necessarily make Jaks truly effective with it, especially if he actually has to shoot another human (I'm aware that it is really difficult for most people who aren't trained to actually deliberately take the life of another person, which I will also account for with Jaks. In the hostage situation, the officer just had him and the others around providing flushing-out cover fire) but it's still better than nothing.

ShadesFox

Speaking as someone to finished going through 200 round in his pistol (quick day) and detailing his rifle before a class on assault rifles... there isn't much to guns.  This pistol has 3 levers, slide catch, trigger, take down lever, and the AR-15 also has one for adjusting the stock and fire selector, but not take down lever.  Using a gun isn't hard, point in direction and pull trigger.  It is the whole rest of the gun fight that is the hard part.
The All Purpose Fox

AmberCross

Heh, yeah but if you don't know about the lever, the safety catch, etc... you are screwed when you try shooting it the first time in combat and it doesn't work.

SquirrelWizard

Hey Arc, I don't know if you took it into account or not, but Marcus has heightened senses due to his participation in the Catalyst's sensory enhancement project. While his senses aren't so keen to the point of absudrity (such as hearing whispered conversations during a wind storm) they are strong enough that they can some times cause him problems. Thats the whole reason behind why he wears sunglasses in the first place. Being in bright light for too long causes him headaches without them.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Arcalane

Unless you intend on being more specific about what you might pick up, there's not much I can tell you. There might be hints of grease or general 'human' smells, but nothing that really stands out.

Azlan

Those senses would have to be classified as a super power to work through a hazard suit.  Just saying.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

SquirrelWizard

Quote from: Arcalane
He gestures into the prep area, "There's lockers with light hazard suits in there. If you wind up in an unexplored underground system, you'll want 'em, trust me. I'll see if I can patch y' into the MarsCon team's net too, hazard suits haven't changed much in the last half-century."

I was under the impression that the surface outside the cave was still safe, ergo Marcus wouldn't be wearing his helmet while doing this.

Inumo