19/02/2011 [DMFA# 1197] - Resourceful Uses of Bedsheets

Started by Lisky, February 19, 2011, 01:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on February 20, 2011, 07:33:26 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2011, 07:06:30 AM
I'm sorry? Which RFC were you referring to that disallows () in a URL? I don't recall that restriction...
RFC 3986. (wikipedia)

Though I admit that those RFCs seem a little outdated or at least only applicable in theory. Apparently space chars aren't even allowed if they are percent-encoded, which evidently doesn't have much to do with real world URLs.

... That says "Reserved characters are those characters that sometimes have special meaning, while unreserved characters have no such meaning." and also "When a character from the reserved set (a "reserved character") has special meaning (a "reserved purpose") in a certain context, and a URI scheme says that it is necessary to use that character for some other purpose, then the character must be percent-encoded."

While I'll admit that () are in the reserved list... it doesn't say that they must always be percent-encoded. It merely states that if, and only IF, they have a special meaning, AND you wish to use them without that meaning, then you MUST percent-encode them to preserve that (lack of) meaning.

In this case, they have no special meaning, and the only issue with them is that they will sometimes be interpreted by the shell or the OS prior to being handed to the browser (eg, with wget $URI); this is not, as far as the URI specification is concerned, something that the URI specification handles. Outside the purview of the RFC, as it were.

Am I wrong?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Mao

Quote from: Attic Rat on February 20, 2011, 01:47:14 AM
It's a Canada thing, eh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Day_(Canada)

I'd hardly call it a 'Canadian Thing' since quite a few provinces *don't* have it...

But maybe I'm just bitter since I'm in one of the ones that doesn't.

joshofspam

It's strange how Abel goes to all the trouble to not wear a shirt and he puts on sleeves. :P

So I see Amber makes a comeback with Shirtless Saturday. :boogie

Welcome back Amber.
I perfer my spam cooked on a skillet.

Ryy Lazurus

I was going through the Demo 101 page when I noticed the "Religion/Gods: Currently Undisclosed" part.

Is it possible that one of Furrae's major faiths has very clear teachings on the unethical nature of shirt wearing males?

Just putting it out there.

Shachza

Quote from: Ryy Lazurus on February 20, 2011, 02:35:41 PM
I was going through the Demo 101 page when I noticed the "Religion/Gods: Currently Undisclosed" part.

Is it possible that one of Furrae's major faiths has very clear teachings on the unethical nature of shirt wearing males?

The God of Beefcake.

I wonder if he has a companion female Goddess of Slow-Motion Running.
            <-- #1 that is!

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Personally, in my opinion I would have reversed the colors on his pants, have white pants with a brown belt.....I think it would have looked a lot more chic. :3

Regardless, there's no denying Abel does have style! ;)

Quote from: AxiLarin on February 19, 2011, 03:50:35 PM
If he wasn't dying to finish his training of Dan and get back to SAIA, he could easily open up a clothing store next to Matilda's place and make some mad loot.

I totally agree with this! :mowhappy And here's to me hoping that it happens.... :eager

Icalasari

Wait, which province is Amber in?

Also, I personally love Family Day. Helps that I live in Alberta so I get the day off :D

Would anybody else love it if the clothes Abel designed became real?
Quote from: MT Hazard on January 08, 2011, 10:54:19 AM
Warning! This cubi has encountered an unknown error and needs to restart
Do you wish to start in safe mode ? Y/N
Loading last known good configuration.....
Loading WinMows....

Naldru

I believe that Amber is currently living in an undisclosed location so that she can avoid the possibility of very mentally disturbed fans  harassing her.  This way, she only has to worry about the mildly disturbed fans on the forum.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Ganurath

Please, that's even less likely than Aniz killing Edward and Quintinga, taking Edward's place, and hooking up with Destania to father Dan.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Naldru on February 20, 2011, 04:40:07 PM
I believe that Amber is currently living in an undisclosed location so that she can avoid the possibility of very mentally disturbed fans  harassing her.  This way, she only has to worry about the mildly disturbed fans on the forum.

^^This.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

Inumo

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 20, 2011, 03:23:38 PM
Personally, in my opinion I would have reversed the colors on his pants, have white pants with a brown belt.....I think it would have looked a lot more chic. :3

I disagree. To have such a large amount of white on a person who already is somewhat white would make the pants blend in somewhat. In addition, the brown portions were made from a blanket, meaning they're warmer and sturdier than the white, which was likely the sheets or pillowcases.

Ghostwish

Quote from: Ganurath on February 20, 2011, 05:40:34 PM

Please, that's even less likely than Aniz killing Edward and Quintinga, taking Edward's place, and hooking up with Destania to father Dan.

Nothing is less likely than that. That's like us never seeing Abel become a tri-wing.

Unsilenced

Leave it to Able to craft an outfit that leaves his torso completely exposed.

I mean seriously now.

He's just teasing Jyrass.
Post of the Dead:
"When there is no more room in hell, this thread will walk the earth"

Lego3400

Quote from: Icalasari on February 20, 2011, 04:27:26 PM

If it had a loose fitting shirt with detached sleeves instead of just sleeves I'd wear it. I'm not fit enough to go out without a shirt on.

Turnsky

i'm pondering just how the sleeves stay up aside from the suspension of disbelief.  :P

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Icalasari

Quote from: Lego3400 on February 21, 2011, 12:00:46 AM
Quote from: Icalasari on February 20, 2011, 04:27:26 PM

If it had a loose fitting shirt with detached sleeves instead of just sleeves I'd wear it. I'm not fit enough to go out without a shirt on.

Well, it could easily be combined with a t shirt, or maybe a regular long sleeved shirt

Quote from: Turnsky on February 21, 2011, 12:28:47 AM
i'm pondering just how the sleeves stay up aside from the suspension of disbelief.  :P

Well, in the real world, I'd imagine some straps would keep it up. Not sure how to explain it... Like nunchucks, I guess? *shrugs*
Loading WinMows....

Ganurath

I imagine the brown bits at the top of the sleeves are tight enough to secure them.
NGGYU NGLYD NGRAADY NGMYC NGSG NGTALAHY

Icalasari

Quote from: Ganurath on February 21, 2011, 12:37:56 AM
I imagine the brown bits at the top of the sleeves are tight enough to secure them.

Then how did he slide them on? :P

Although one could hide drawstrings in them...
Loading WinMows....

Maark30

There are lots of things that could be used to make the sleeves stay. Maybe he found some elastic.  Or made his arms get thin, pull up the sleeve and make his arm normal sized again. 
Proud member of the "Let the artist know how much you love her work" club

Anker Steadfast

Pfft, those aren't sleeves .. they are tube sucks !! :D

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on February 20, 2011, 07:33:26 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2011, 07:06:30 AM
I'm sorry? Which RFC were you referring to that disallows () in a URL? I don't recall that restriction...
RFC 3986. (wikipedia)

Though I admit that those RFCs seem a little outdated or at least only applicable in theory. Apparently space chars aren't even allowed if they are percent-encoded, which evidently doesn't have much to do with real world URLs.

Ah ... as long as an URL meets the DNS standards to locate a server (anything before the third / character, ie. http://www.example.com:port/), then most DNS servers on the net won't even look at the rest, that's up to the webserver in question to handle and they just shunt it along, correct or not.

So if Wikipedia thinks using ( ) is cool, they just code their webserver for it.
It's not strictly standard, but it works quite well for the ISP's to handle it this way.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Icalasari

Quote from: Maark30 on February 21, 2011, 01:45:02 AMOr made his arms get thin, pull up the sleeve and make his arm normal sized again. 

...Right, Cubi, I forgot
Loading WinMows....

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 21, 2011, 01:50:16 AM
Ah ... as long as an URL meets the DNS standards to locate a server (anything before the third / character, ie. http://www.example.com:port/), then most DNS servers on the net won't even look at the rest, that's up to the webserver in question to handle and they just shunt it along, correct or not.

Wot? What do DNS servers have to do with shunting traffic along? DNS merely responds to your browser; your browser then contacts the webserver directly.

You're correct that the DNS is correlated to the hostname:port part, but... since wikipedia runs in apache, "they coded their webserver for it" is a little overstating things. Apache deals with it because apache deals with it. And Apache deals with it by forwarding it to the wikimedia app that runs wikipedia, which then translates it to it's internal format to identify which document it refers to, retrieve that from MySQL, and return it - I presume wikipedia is using MySQL internally, but that's up to them.

I'm not sure where you get your ideas from, but they seem a little inaccurate...

Starcat5

I take it from the lack of updates that Photoshop is still giving Amber problems. I'll just check back on Friday.
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Inumo on February 20, 2011, 06:44:19 PM
...the brown portions were made from a blanket, meaning they're warmer and sturdier than the white, which was likely the sheets or pillowcases.

And this is an issue because...? Where did we ever see winter weather being an issue in Furrae?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 22, 2011, 11:37:23 AM
Quote from: Inumo on February 20, 2011, 06:44:19 PM
...the brown portions were made from a blanket, meaning they're warmer and sturdier than the white, which was likely the sheets or pillowcases.
And this is an issue because...? Where did we ever see winter weather being an issue in Furrae?

Sturdier might be an issue, though.

Infranscia

Hmm... I'm kind of wondering who told Abel that he would crack.  Admittedly, Fa'Lina is the first person to come to mind, though that's likely because of how big of a role she plays in Abel's Story.  To me, it seems more like the type of thing Destania would say, though.  I mean, Fa'Lina seems more likely to try to help prevent such a 'crack,' while Destania seems like the type to taunt Abel with such things.

Of course, we don't know the context of Abel's thought in panel one.  Still, my opinion.
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

(Warning: Nerd rant follows)
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 20, 2011, 08:02:09 AM
While I'll admit that () are in the reserved list... it doesn't say that they must always be percent-encoded. It merely states that if, and only IF, they have a special meaning, AND you wish to use them without that meaning, then you MUST percent-encode them to preserve that (lack of) meaning.

[...]

Am I wrong?
Well, I haven't checked if the HTTP scheme defines a "special meaning" for parentheses, but judging from a few non-representative tests, you seem to be right. Firefox sends them over the wire unencrypted. Dammit. :U

But the conversion rules as defined in the spec seem to be pretty insane anyway. According to them, two following two URLs are equivalent:
http://example.com/foo??
http://example.com/foo?%3F

(Where "%3F" is the percent-encoding for "?")
But this one isn't:
http://example.com/foo%3F?
Considering how most software treats URLs as opaque strings, I'd like to know how many people got that right when implementing that stuff...
(End of nerd rant. Thank you for your patience)

llearch n'n'daCorna

It's not _that_ insane.

The first two are a URI consisting of "http://example.com/foo", with a query string of "?" or "%3F"; since the query string is interpreted by browser, it makes sense that it should decode it first to ? or ?. Both of them tell the webserver to return /foo - unless the webserver is being clever.

The third one, however, is telling the webserver to return /foo%3F which I'm sure you'll agree is a totally different file, or at least could well be. From there, the browser is taking that and parsing the html and then applying a query string of "", which may or may not be useful.

When you look at it that way, they're consistent, if not easily followed. The browser should parse the query string, the webserver should not.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 24, 2011, 07:43:55 AM
It's not _that_ insane.
Well, alright. how about a little bit insane?

When you look at it that way, they're consistent, if not easily followed.
I didn't say they are inconsistent. I just mean that that definition is needlessly complicated and counter-intuitive and thus people who don't bother reading the spec have probably implemented it in all sorts of different ways. And I just find it kind of irksome that you need detailed knowledge about each url type to implement something as simple as a comparison.

The browser should parse the query string, the webserver should not.
Are you sure you don't mean the # sign? For all I know, paths and query strings are server business and browsers pass both of them on to the server and don't do much with them otherwise. This is why I found it counter-intuitive - browsers don't have to distinguish between path and query string at all - except for percent encoding apparently.
I agree though, that this is how they should be parsed on the server.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Ah, you're right. I was thinking # - however, my point was that everything before the query string (the ?) is pointing to a file. Everything afterwards gets handled by the handler for that file type.

Which is not as clear-cut as it could be, I'll admit.