Dreams of the Past (OOC. Mature Themes)

Started by Paladin Sheppard, January 06, 2011, 08:14:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tezkat

Many fursuit makers have come up with interesting designs for twichy mechanical tails (animatronic servos, tails that react to shoulder motion, and so on). Besides, cognitive dissonance can produce all sorts of perfectly rational reasons to ignore reality. Sifa's reaction actually seems pretty normal... :3

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

AmberCross

Umm... do we even GET to know what's in our packs or can we make that stuff up? Cause GM seems to have ignored three people checking their bags by now. If so, let me know so I can stop idling my character?

Paladin Sheppard

At this time I was waiting till I had enough people in a group action, Saturday rolled round again, or something significant affected the plot, as this was (what I thought anyways) an established pattern.

But I can make GM posts if requested.... :B

AmberCross

heh, I'm still figuring out how this RP is going to function I guess ^.^;

It's odd I guess... having the GM as both a player and a narrator.

Tezkat

Could you give us some help orienting ourselves? (At least one of us found a compass in our packs, and east is obvious in any event thanks to the sunrise.) Like... which way does the creek run, which way is the crash site, and which way did truck go when we woke up (assuming that bit in the OOC intro is still canon)?

Paladin Sheppard

Well now :3 I'm sure I could but wouldn't that be a little meta'ing? I mean no one has bothered to check...

And as for the OOC intro that was superseded by the IC intro.

Also Tez, Salem should no longer have the skunk smell as got rid of his shirt.

Tezkat

Huh? How would that be meta'ing? :B I'm just asking for player clarification of something that's obvious to our characters. We have a morning sun to help orient ourselves with respect to cardinal directions, which was presumably the only way our characters knew the energy wave came from the east. And we currently have two highly visible and/or audible landmarks (the creek and the crash site). Kandela has set off "upstream", but you haven't told us which way that is relative to the exploding plane or the apparent source of the energy wave even though it could significantly impact how our characters behave. (It certainly would for mine...)

As for the skunk perfume thing... I'm gonna chalk that up to a memorable first impression that will follow Salem around long after his next few baths. >:] Although I am assuming that Bolt has retained his superhuman sense of smell in this world, it being the result of canine physiological features rather than magic...

Paladin Sheppard

Well seeing as many of the people here are not from earth how do they know the sun is in the east? And as far as I can tell no one has actually checked with a compass which direction either the wave nor the bomber was flying, let alone the direction the creek is flowing.

As for Bolt's nose, yes his physical sense of smell will be higher than a humans.

Inumo

Why do I get the feeling that meta's being a bit paranoided? Ah well. I guess I'll have to find an excuse for Sifa to look in her pack, since she hasn't yet.

Tezkat

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on February 08, 2011, 01:03:31 AM
Well seeing as many of the people here are not from earth how do they know the sun is in the east? And as far as I can tell no one has actually checked with a compass which direction either the wave nor the bomber was flying, let alone the direction the creek is flowing.

Huh? You established several posts ago that all of our characters know which way east is:

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 22, 2011, 03:20:52 AM
A bright wave of ghostly white energy, flooded out of the east. Those that could still see the bomber saw it stagger in mid flight, its control surfaces lock in place, and the noise of its engines died.

In any event, I don't actually care which way the true north or east or whatever is on this planet. :animesweat They merely provide a useful frame of reference which I'd assumed had been established. What is important are the relative directions, as whether the party is heading towards or away from established sources of potential danger will likely determine how Bolt will act in my next IC post...

Paladin Sheppard

I would like to apologize if I seem to be a bit vague and less than informative, what I AM trying to do is simulate the lack of knowledge someone would have if they were removed from the world they knew and placed on another with no warning or prior information.

As I will be posing in a hour or less of Salem's observations from the top of the tree it may help with some of the confusion.

Again I apologize for any aggravation.

Tezkat

Thanks. I do understand and appreciate what you're trying to do. I just find it a little awkwards sometimes to have a PC "search" for information IC when it's obviously right in front of him, as that requires breaking character (or at least POV, which I try to keep very tight in RPs). Hence why I asked here first...

By the way, did Bolt find anything mappish when he checked his pack?

AmberCross

I would like to point out that there are two kinds of east. There is magnetic east (based on the polar direction of the planet if it has any) and the planer east which is based off the axis of rotation. By definition of mechanics, if you set North to be the pole that when you look down on the planet spins clockwise, the sun will ALWAYS rise in the east. I mean this is assuming it is in fact the planet that goes around the sun (and not the other way around) and other such similar crazy things that could theoretically but likely aren't different, but i think most bases are covered.

The only case in which things would get funky are based on the tilt of the planet. Earth has a tilt of 23 degrees, which is barely anything and if you flipped it upside down, it would be the same way with the exception that we'd seem to be orbiting the sun in the other direction which I believe has been shown by merit of environmental data (aka looking at countless other examples in the universe) that this is rare anyway. The MOST funky it can therefore get is a 90 degree tilt in which case the sun's movement would depend where they are. The two poles would get 2 days a year and thus end up with crazy environments and few trees, so we already know this is not our case. Aside from that depending on location the sun could still be offset to north or south, but we'd be able to figure out planer east anyway based off the direction it goes accross the sky compared to directly overhead.

Since east is an arbitrarily defined thing, and everyone nearby got some sort of info-dump for language, they'd all share the same definition of east and would therefore be able to figure it out pretty easily from where the sun rose since they woke up in the morning. Magnetic east would be a different case, but in MY character's case at least, it can be assumed that if he noticed a compass he would briefly check it to see if it alligns with planer directions. He did specialize in this sort of thing back in his own world after all.

Brought to you by your resident astrophysics/meteorology major.

Ren Gaulen

Gah! I apologise for my absence, I had no internet access since last week (modem died :[ ). I'll try to make a post in the IC thread as soon as possible.

Shachza

Paladin, will you be allowing my character to recognize where we are?  If the "Wien" you mentioned being on Basilisk's map is Vienna, then any European worth their salt should instantly recognize it.
            <-- #1 that is!

Paladin Sheppard

Certainly :3

Tho the town you re near IS NOT Wien :P

Tezkat

Hmm... aren't the town and factory downstream? :mowdizzy

Lisky

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Paladin Sheppard

New IC is up.

Just so I don't have to ret-con posts and cause confusion here are the map details for Chris and Greg:

Chris's is a topographical map of central Europe.

Greg's political map has 4 factions.   English Empire, containing the UK and most of Northern France and Denmark and the Nordic country's of Sweden and Norway
                                                          United German Tribes Looked much like the old West Germany, but broken up into smaller factions.
                                                          French Commonwealth Contained the rest of France and Spain.
                                                          New Austrian Federation, which had Austria, Switzerland, eastern Germany Poland, the Czech Republic, Italy, and the Baltic States.                                           

Tezkat

Still waiting to hear if my pack search turned up anything besides the ammo you indicated earlier... :animesweat

Paladin Sheppard

Oh sh... *runs off to fix*

*edit* Fixed Sorry about that Tez

Tezkat

Thanks. Does the "standard" gear include a map, compass, and/or some kind of survival knife?

Paladin Sheppard

At the moment its just food, water kits, clothing and basic first aid.

Tezkat

Made some minor edits to my post to add a bit of character development and better clarify what exactly Bolt is looking for up there.
:mowninja

techmaster-glitch

Ack...I think I'm dropping out. I've gotten completely lost, there's too many people to keep track of, and as I was apprently mistaken in thinking we were supposed to be ordinary joes, that's what I made, so he's got nothing to say or contibute :/ Ah well, just thought I'd be courteous enough to let you folks know rather than going silent.

Shachza

You could always invent something fancy for him!  I toyed with how much memory to give my character, but I think that mine wouldn't work at all if he didn't remember most of what he was.

Don't give up yet!  Your guy could just have more complete amnesia.  Or, like a Mortal in a White Wolf's Vampire, Werewolf, Mage, Changeling, Gheist, or Promethian game, you could take all those extra "points" that would otherwise go in to magical abilities and buy up skills with them.  Be a veritable MacGuyver.
            <-- #1 that is!

Paladin Sheppard

Sorry you feel that way Tech. Well good luck with the other RPs I guess.

Tezkat

Um... at which of the three settlements is the bar located? (I'm assuming the buildings to the NW near the factory, but it's not quite clear...)

Also, as it seems to be important, what did the people look like? (i.e. what species, were they visibly armed, etc.)

Thanks.

Paladin Sheppard

Sorry I meant the town to the north, which is a good Kilometer to the edge, and at this time the figures are just humanoid.

Tezkat

...at up to 25x magnification only a kilometer away? :B