03/16/10 [AS 92] - It's always those adventurers trying to get ahead in life

Started by Jairus, March 16, 2010, 12:31:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amber Williams

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 16, 2010, 11:07:41 AM
Speculation: While it is probably not quite mind control, coupling Jin's power with a tiny clan (Less people to dilute the effect) Jin's personality is in a sense, overwriting the other Jin clan members, forcing them into their beatific states.

Your speculation is incorrect.   An emotional affinity and active clan leader doesn't overwrite an individual's personal mind and morals.  Mink is just naturally Mink.  Which is admittedly a frightening thing and I can understand why some would think it would require artificial boosting. The lil squigglet is a bundle of sugar and pep.

Sunblink

Aw, Mink... :c I hadn't really expected that story. I was expecting a RAWRGH CUBI-VERSUS-DRAGONS massacre thing, so that's comparatively low-key, yet pretty darn heartbreaking. Poor guy. He's kind of like Abel's counterpart though - while Abel doesn't seem to have moved on or forgiven or forgotten by the present day, Mink is perfectly capable of doing so and still wants to help others. Not only that, he wants to help others by continuing his mother's quest even though she died during a charitable effort. AND her murder was celebrated. God, that sucks. But Mink's still so happy and cheerful.

I think he's one of my favorite characters now. It's kind of weird how he recited an inherently depressing story to compound the tragedy in a relentlessly depressing comic and yet he's still endearing.

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 16, 2010, 07:36:04 AM
However, he's had ample time to notice the clan mark and figure it out himself, and if he's able to forgive his mother's murderer, he probably isn't the sort to hold a grudge against Aniz' son.

Yeah, him suddenly holding a massive grudge against Abel and rejecting him would totally contradict the speech he just gave. I feel like it's more likely that Abel will push Mink away.

You know what would be depressing? If Abel discovered that Mink was dead in the current comic-time because he was killed while trying to build a hospital for Beings. Cue the waterworks. :<

The problem with that speculation is that Jin probably hasn't let Mink wander freely in Furrae even after Abel's Story.

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 16, 2010, 11:19:02 AMMink is just naturally Mink.  Which is admittedly a frightening thing and I can understand why some would think it would require artificial boosting.

You kidding? I want to give that squiggly a hug. It's nice to see a benevolent Cubi.

Ry

Bah- it figures that people recognize clan marks but don't recognize which clan it is.  Adventurers can be jerks.  And Mink is... Impressive.

Now I'm really confused about Abel letting his clan mark be seen...

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on March 16, 2010, 11:19:02 AMMink is just naturally Mink.  Which is admittedly a frightening thing and I can understand why some would think it would require artificial boosting.

You kidding? I want to give that squiggly a hug. It's nice to see a benevolent Cubi.

you'll haveta pry Janus off him(?) first, however.

that said his mink dose is being fulfilled lately... next time you talk to him, ask him about "Mr Squiggles"  :U

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

D'ymkarra

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on March 16, 2010, 11:26:14 AM
The problem with that speculation is that Jin probably hasn't let Mink wander freely in Furrae even after Abel's Story.

I would think not also. Being of a clan that makes their lives bringing joy and happiness to others, I would think they are not terribly well versed in combat skills, compared to other clans/ members of the cubi race. Such a modest (yet naive) detriment would make Jin's members 'sitting ducks' as it were.
'It'd be such an honour, to be personally smacked upside the head by the artist herself' - Bjalf

A. Lurker

Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 16, 2010, 01:24:08 AMA true hero will help the needy regardless if they want it or not. A hero is not afraid to give his life. A hero does it because he is good, and because he knows it's right. If he has to die by their hands or by the ones trying to end theirs, it is still a sacrifice to give your life for those who will benefit most from it.
As one of my people once said "A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky." Mink has a need to help beings. If that is what he desires, how can he deny who he is?

As much as it pains me given the particular context, I feel compelled to play the advocatus diaboli here for a moment and state that no, "I'm going to do something you don't want me to for your own good" is not automatically a particularly heroic stance to take. At least in part because 'I', presumably not actually all-knowing and infallible, might well turn out to be wrong about what's good for 'you'...but hey, no harm in ignoring what 'you' think and going ahead with 'my' plans anyway, right? After all, 'I' only mean well...

There's a reason there's a saying about a certain road that's paved with good intentions.

Lucheek

....Mink is the most adorable thing ever. Oh my god.

I'm going to be really sad when Abel's Story is over and we'll never see him again. D8

Alondro

*Charles eeps*  You-you mean Mink's mom wasn't trying an evil scheme?   :eek

*quickly hides blood-stained sword*  It wasn't my fault!  Charline made me biased about Cubi!  I had a troubled childhood!   :<
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Amber Williams on March 16, 2010, 11:19:02 AM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 16, 2010, 11:07:41 AM
Speculation: While it is probably not quite mind control, coupling Jin's power with a tiny clan (Less people to dilute the effect) Jin's personality is in a sense, overwriting the other Jin clan members, forcing them into their beatific states.

Your speculation is incorrect.   An emotional affinity and active clan leader doesn't overwrite an individual's personal mind and morals.  Mink is just naturally Mink.  Which is admittedly a frightening thing and I can understand why some would think it would require artificial boosting. The lil squigglet is a bundle of sugar and pep.

Hmmm, interesting.

Oh well, back to the drawing board. And to be honest, this was far less frightening than the alternative.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

terrycloth

Hizell had it in for Jin -- I bet the dragons distributed a list of 'evil evil clan marks' to adventurers, to help them finish the job. There's probably a moldy old important looking tome somewhere with a handy reference table.

'Jin is the clan of Joy, whose members feed on the souls of those who are happy and cheerful.'

Infranscia

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 16, 2010, 01:44:06 AMDon't remember which comic number it was, but recall that Abel told Dan that the majority of Cubi are jerks, especially when it comes to their food. . . uh, I mean beings.  Mink, Abel, and Fa'Lina (in some instances) are the exception.  Cubi don't have to work for their reputation, Mink's mom just fell victim to the ill-will generated by the thousands of others of her race.

I mean no offense when I say this, it's just that that almost sounds to me like 'they shouldn't bother working up a reputation of not being all bad,' and well, that brings up the 'better safe than sorry for the adventurers' view that ends up with unhappy endings for the exceptions to the stereotype, IMO.  I admit that they don't have to earn their general reputation, and that part of the whole doing things can make the whole look bad.  I just kinda wish that the adventurers would know that not all Cubi are evil and if possible Cubi should be judged for who they are.  Hard, and risky, I know, but still.

Tapewolf, Rhyfe:  Well, my idea was more like 'Okay, we Cubi have spread the word that the Jin clan is good, so let's shift fake Jin clan-symbols where adventurers can see them so they won't want to attack us... Then we can lop their heads off when their guard is down.'  Yeah, then I realized that would lead to more deaths and more bad reputation.  And still, like Tapewolf said, it would take forever to learn all the clans, what with there being hundreds of clans out there.

Amber, etc.: Well, I'd certainly hope that's the case.  I can imagine an affinity influencing their morals and beliefs - if not, well, I guess the leader can at least influence them though dream-meetings - but I'd hope it wouldn't brainwash them.  Even if I thought Mink's behavior was creepy (which I don't, I'm both relieved at seeing a Cubi like Mink and finding it adorable), I'd find it less creepy than taking away their right to be themselves, even inadvertently.

A. Lurker:  I partly agree in that our knowledge isn't perfect, that you should listen to the voice of reason, and that just because you have good intentions doesn't make you a hero.  However, I'm going to throw out that the ones trying to reason with you also have finite knowledge, and that if you truly believe what you want to do is right, even with others' reasoning taken into account, you should probably go out and do it.

So... I think I'm going to go with a couple sayings by a certain fantasy race to 'be kind to those less fortunate' and to 'favor the road traveled by few.'

</rambles>
Please excuse the watermarked avatar.  I haven't bothered to fix it yet.  (Still, thanks to PetFriendAmy for the original pic!)

iceick

Quote from: danman on March 16, 2010, 01:17:54 AM
Poor Mink.  :mowsad Not only he does not seek revenge, but also is eager to follow the same path.  And he will likely end the same way because he does not realise how stupid it is to do this... helping those who will jump on his neck if they learn who he is. We say in my country that the wise man learns on others' mistakes and the dull man on his own ... well ... in this case, one gets no chance to learn the second way.
The saying I heared was, "A wise man learns from others' mistakes, a smart man learns from his own mistakes, and a fool makes the same mistake over and over again."
But I'm sure Mink won't let any adventure see her mark (and I doubt any adventure would look under her skirt looking for one).

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: iceick on March 16, 2010, 02:41:36 PM
The saying I heared was, "A wise man learns from others' mistakes, a smart man learns from his own mistakes, and a fool makes the same mistake over and over again."
But I'm sure Mink won't let any adventure see her mark (and I doubt any adventure would look under her skirt looking for one).
I think those first two are the other way around...a wise man learns from his own mistakes, and the smart man from others...

Starcat5

That, or s/he runs a children's hospital backed by the Soulstealer family. There is a sense of poetic justice there: One man derails Jin's centuries of negotiation in that regard, only for his son to fast track the project.

*Edit* Also, it gives a  chance for Mink to show up in DMFA proper. The main comic is destressingly squiggle-free. :mowmeep
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

Jasonrevall

Quote from: A. Lurker on March 16, 2010, 12:53:13 PM
Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 16, 2010, 01:24:08 AMA true hero will help the needy regardless if they want it or not. A hero is not afraid to give his life. A hero does it because he is good, and because he knows it's right. If he has to die by their hands or by the ones trying to end theirs, it is still a sacrifice to give your life for those who will benefit most from it.
As one of my people once said "A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky." Mink has a need to help beings. If that is what he desires, how can he deny who he is?

As much as it pains me given the particular context, I feel compelled to play the advocatus diaboli here for a moment and state that no, "I'm going to do something you don't want me to for your own good" is not automatically a particularly heroic stance to take. At least in part because 'I', presumably not actually all-knowing and infallible, might well turn out to be wrong about what's good for 'you'...but hey, no harm in ignoring what 'you' think and going ahead with 'my' plans anyway, right? After all, 'I' only mean well...

There's a reason there's a saying about a certain road that's paved with good intentions.

*Edit* I misread what A. Lurker posted. Sorry Lurker. I hope its okay if I edit this and just say I didn't mean to imply that always doing something against the will of other people is okay. However sometimes you are doing them a benefit even if they don't want it depending on the situation or whether or not you plan on using violence for their cooperation.  *Edit*
Forward ever onward upward aiming skyward.

Les

Quote from: terrycloth on March 16, 2010, 01:45:18 PM
Hizell had it in for Jin -- I bet the dragons distributed a list of 'evil evil clan marks' to adventurers, to help them finish the job. There's probably a moldy old important looking tome somewhere with a handy reference table.

'Jin is the clan of Joy, whose members feed on the souls of those who are happy and cheerful.'

This is amazingly plausible...
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

Psychedelic Mushroom

Aw, Why must Mink be so bubbly?  :U I would have full of revenge if the MURDER of my mother was CELEBRATED.  :cry  Mink you're amazing.  :3

Roach Lord

I seemed to have overdawed at panel two... if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go clean my pants.

AGE00

I guess if you stumbled unawares upon a powerful opponent with the ability to read your thoughts and emotions, your best bet would be being fast on the draw...

Tangent

Hmm. Seeing Mink there only increases my need to break him and reduce him to a quivering pile of suffering and woe.

Er, I mean... give him hugs! Yeah! Tight hugs. Heh heh heh.
Robert A. Howard, Tangents Reviews
http://www.tangents.us

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Kodus to Mink!  :3 For keeping a positive outlook on life!  :mowhappy

I just hope that if/when Jin allows him to leave the academy to help others, that he succeeds and there's no repeat of what happened to his mom.....  :(

(PS: Reeeally, wish I had a member from Jin right now........ :knifed)

VAE

I do not know - in my country the version i translated is accurate - the original (without diacritics as i prefer a qwerty keyboard due to programming n stuff) "Mudry sa uci na chybach inych, hlupy na svojich"
It seems Czechs and slovaks have a little higher standard for error-freeness in sayings :D
What i cannot create, i do not understand. - Richard P. Feynman
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Alright, long-standing mystery finally solved: Mink is a girl. I don't see how the (absolutely adorable) second panel could leave any more room for doubt about this  :3

Quote from: Infranscia on March 16, 2010, 02:26:47 PM
A. Lurker:  I partly agree in that our knowledge isn't perfect, that you should listen to the voice of reason, and that just because you have good intentions doesn't make you a hero.  However, I'm going to throw out that the ones trying to reason with you also have finite knowledge, and that if you truly believe what you want to do is right, even with others' reasoning taken into account, you should probably go out and do it.

So... I think I'm going to go with a couple sayings by a certain fantasy race to 'be kind to those less fortunate' and to 'favor the road traveled by few.'

I think what makes the difference is if you take the ones you're trying to reason with serious or not. Mink's mother's intentions were without doubt good and honourable, but what she did in the end (and I'm sorry I'll have to join the devil's advocates here) was basically playing Christian missionary. She never actually asked the villagers if they want her to set up a hospital. She also already assumed that humans only think of Cubi as cruel monsters and that she needed to hide her true form. So she went in there, concealed, right from the start and never even gave the villagers a chance to change their mind about Cubi or think about how they could possibly benefit from having one in their village.
While giving a banquet to the adventures is undoublty cruel from the Cubi point of view, why should the villagers know any better? She didn't seem to have given them many opportunities to realize her intentions are actually genuine.

Summing up ... isn't it amazing how many things you can 'deduce' from a single speech bubble? :rolleyes

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on March 16, 2010, 10:25:48 AM
Mink is a woobie.

Nuuuuu... I wanted to say that! :U But yeah, he definitely belongs to the 'properly executed' category of woobies...

AGE00

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on March 16, 2010, 08:29:17 PM
Mink's mother's intentions were without doubt good and honourable...

Were they? We only have Mink's word for that, and there are a number of ways in which that might not be one hundred percent reliable.

Quote from: Pascal on March 16, 2010, 08:34:57 PM
Were they? We only have Mink's word for that, and there are a number of ways in which that might not be one hundred percent reliable.

Well, I assumed that, with Jin's clan and all. Even worse if they weren't :P

AGE00

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on March 16, 2010, 08:37:02 PM
Well, I assumed that, with Jin's clan and all. Even worse if they weren't :P

Hey, you don't need to be nice to feed on someone's joy. All you need is, say... a steady hand and a shot of the right chemicals.

VAE

Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on March 16, 2010, 08:29:17 PM
Alright, long-standing mystery finally solved: Mink is a girl. I don't see how the (absolutely adorable) second panel could leave any more room for doubt about this  :3
I think what makes the difference is if you take the ones you're trying to reason with serious or not. Mink's mother's intentions were without doubt good and honourable, but what she did in the end (and I'm sorry I'll have to join the devil's advocates here) was basically playing Christian missionary. She never actually asked the villagers if they want her to set up a hospital. She also already assumed that humans only think of Cubi as cruel monsters and that she needed to hide her true form. So she went in there, concealed, right from the start and never even gave the villagers a chance to change their mind about Cubi or think about how they could possibly benefit from having one in their village.
While giving a banquet to the adventures is undoublty cruel from the Cubi point of view, why should the villagers know any better? She didn't seem to have given them many opportunities to realize her intentions are actually genuine.

Hmm, if she would do as you said then her life would be that much shorter and entirely pointless as she would end close to how Destainia nearly did (and without her fighting skill i presume)
Let us face the reality - although a person might not be stupid, people as a mass are - history shows examples of helping hands being cut off...
And what the missionaries did is (in the parts where it was not accompanied by looting, rape or worse) not wrong - i mean i find it somewhat undesirable that somebody spreads an ideology i disagree with but other than that, it makes perfect sense , especially from the missionaries point of view - they were in their opinion saving the people from hell, and well , unlike in this case , no evidence ever existed against it (for it either but that is a different story)
All in all, the only person who is able to pull a "Carrot" and live is Carrot himself - he could probably give a guest lecture about life's value at SAIA and not get ripped apart.
Others must use more calculated means of achieving their goals
This is DMFA. Where major species don't understand clothing. So innuendo is overlooked for nuendo. .
Saphroneth

Les

Why are so many insisting Mink is female, coming up with elaborate justifications for him lacking certain 'curves'? (Matilda if anything has even more of an excuse to not have 'Non-Mammal Mammaries', and yet.. she does.)  Is the concept of an effeminate male really that difficult to parse?

Also, on clan marks and tattoos.  Given the medium it's not hard to imagine a clan mark would look very distinct from a typical ink tattoo.. and that's leaving out how most beings (or creatures posing as beings) in Furrae have.. you know.. Fur.   :P
Long live Space Race, Long live... Molvania!

VAE

Quote from: Jasonrevall on March 16, 2010, 01:24:08 AM
Mink's joy and enthusiasm is incredible. Almost reminds me of the flash (Wally West).

Quote from: danman on March 16, 2010, 01:17:54 AM
Poor Mink.  :mowsad Not only he does not seek revenge, but also is eager to follow the same path.  And he will likely end the same way because he does not realise how stupid it is to do this... helping those who will jump on his neck if they learn who he is. We say in my country that the wise man learns on others' mistakes and the dull man on his own ... well ... in this case, one gets no chance to learn the second way.

A true hero will help the needy regardless if they want it or not. A hero is not afraid to give his life. A hero does it because he is good, and because he knows it's right. If he has to die by their hands or by the ones trying to end theirs, it is still a sacrifice to give your life for those who will benefit most from it.

I am not sure. A hero is most of all one who achieves a honourable goal. Rising up and getting yourself killed like a lemming is not really the kind of heroism to look for - Selfsacrifice can be honourable ,but should be the last thing one considers , not the first.
Another quote i know said something like "Instead of hitting the wall with your head, find the door with the eyes" - a great vision in order to be achieved need someone to follow it but the way to achieve anything with highest probability is to find the simplest way of doing so
Saphroneth

AGE00

Honestly, I struggle with the idea that anyone would willingly mark themselves with something that's often read as "Attention Adventurers: Cut here to slay monster". I mean, seriously, imagine a trend in body-warmers made to look like dynamite and you can imagine how well that would go down.