02/09/10 [DMFA #1088] - Would a "Bom chicka wow wow" be apropriate here?

Started by thegayhare, February 08, 2010, 11:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rafe

Assuming Amber either (1) takes the comic action away from the Dan/Matilda situation, and/or (2) Doesn't even refer to it for a while, now is the time for wild dramatic theorizing in script form.  My version:

SCENE - Back at the Inn.  Dan comes inside quietly and makes his way to a corner table.  He is visibly shaken.  Abel, almost not noticing him arrive, knows that something is wrong, and approaches Dan.

ABEL - Uhm, I take it that the date didn't go all that well?

DAN - Please... Please don't try to read my thoughts now.

ABEL - Okay, sure.  Anything you want to talk about, date wise?

DAN [Hiding his face, trying to compose himself]
Oh the date... it went fine.  Had fun and all...

ABEL - ...But...?

DAN [Silent for a while]
...But after...

ABEL [Starting to get genuinely concerned]
What - what happened?  Did she hurt you?  Did she get mad about something and...

DAN - NO!  No, no...  She... We went back to her place and... we went inside and...
Everything was fine at first,  but... but...

[Dan starts sobbing and turns away again.  Abel is a little scared, and watches, not sure what to say]

ABEL - What?  What did she do?

DAN - She... she made me... made me do... taur things... [More sobbing, major this time]

ABEL [to himself] ...Taur things...?

DAN - [starting to recover a bit]  Look... I don't think I should talk about this now.  Please just...  get me a drink.

ABEL - Yeah, sure.  [Goes to the bar, brings a large ale and sets it in front of Dan]
I'll be over there... if you need anything.

DAN - [in a quiet voice]
Uh,  I could use a towel... and some... Q-tips... please.

ABEL - Yeah, uh, okay.
Rafe

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Mao

thegayhare

You know I just realised how evil Our Ms Amber is...

we're going to have to stare of that comic of Damn and Matildia all week, while she updates all the other comcis

She knows just what it takes to drive us insane...

LionHeart

"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

PencilinHand

Quote from: thegayhare on February 12, 2010, 11:41:34 AM

we're going to have to stare of that comic of Damn and Matildia all week, while she updates all the other comcis

She knows just what it takes to drive us insane...

It is called, "building tension" in the form of anticipation and a good author does it to keep the story exciting, and it drives fans  :eager .
The longer the build in tension the more likely a let down joke will occur, I'd guess karaoke  :kirby .

Naldru

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

thegayhare

Quote from: PencilinHand on February 12, 2010, 12:05:19 PM

It is called, "building tension" in the form of anticipation and a good author does it to keep the story exciting, and it drives fans  :eager .

Ohh I know I'm just teasing

sheesh

Mao

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Rafe on February 12, 2010, 01:37:36 AM
Assuming Amber either (1) takes the comic action away from the Dan/Matilda situation, and/or (2) Doesn't even refer to it for a while, now is the time for wild dramatic theorizing in script form.  My version:

SCENE - Back at the Inn.  Dan comes inside quietly and makes his way to a corner table.  He is visibly shaken.  Abel, almost not noticing him arrive, knows that something is wrong, and approaches Dan.

ABEL - Uhm, I take it that the date didn't go all that well?

DAN - Please... Please don't try to read my thoughts now.

ABEL - Okay, sure.  Anything you want to talk about, date wise?

At the current time, this looks FAR too overtly caring for Abel. Maybe before Cindy died or after he's had months or years more interaction with the Lost Lake crew, but not right now. First he has to admit to himself that he cares for his new friends before he can drop the "jerk routine" when they need him.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tiger_T

Quote from: Naldru on February 12, 2010, 12:10:49 PM
Somehow, "Pin the tail on the taur" comes to mind.

But just how would Dan... oh. OH. I see.

Bad brain! Shush! Get out of that there gutter this instant! :P >:3 :rolleyes
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Madd the Sane

Quote from: thegayhare on February 12, 2010, 11:41:34 AM
*headdesk* It's Mrs. Amber to you, fuzzy.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to say something relating to the comic, aren't I?
Umm, congrats, Dan. Have a good time. Make sure you're home by 11:00. No hanky-panky until marriage. :B
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

thegayhare

Madd the Sane

She is married.

And yeah, that's the last I'll say of that.
And you didn't guess The Lion King reference?
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

thegayhare

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Quote from: thegayhare on February 13, 2010, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 13, 2010, 11:17:27 AM
She is married.

I was always told Ms was neutral
between Mrs and Miss

I've been told that to. And I sometimes have to use "Ms", when there isn't a "Miss" option. So I think that settles this mini debate. So let's get back to all the "nasties" that Dan and Matilda could be getting into!  >:3

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tiger_T on February 12, 2010, 05:16:16 PM
Quote from: Naldru on February 12, 2010, 12:10:49 PM
Somehow, "Pin the tail on the taur" comes to mind.

But just how would Dan... oh. OH. I see.

Bad brain! Shush! Get out of that there gutter this instant! :P >:3 :rolleyes

Good brain - Well done.
Have a cookie.

:D

Quote from: Mrs_A_ZeTavia on February 13, 2010, 11:34:11 AM
Quote from: thegayhare on February 13, 2010, 11:21:05 AM
Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 13, 2010, 11:17:27 AM
She is married.

I was always told Ms was neutral
between Mrs and Miss

I've been told that to. And I sometimes have to use "Ms", when there isn't a "Miss" option. So I think that settles this mini debate. So let's get back to all the "nasties" that Dan and Matilda could be getting into!  >:3

Both Ms and Mrs are both marriage and gender aligned.

Mistress was originally used for any women of status, regardless of marital status, and it's the feminine version of Master/Mister. But since most women in the medieval period gained most of their status trough marriage, it changed into meaning "married woman". It is abbreviated as Mrs.

Miss refers to an unwed women, and since most unwed women was originally only young women, it has stuck to being used as a standard honorific for young women. Also, Miss was a derivative of Mistress, meaning it was less than the full title for a women of less status. Therefore it was often used negatively, and usually was used for a woman which had an affair on the side.  It is abbriviated as Ms. Not abbreviated !!  :)

Then something peculiar happened.

Since most used abbreviations, other titles, such as Lady or Dame, also people got lazy and pronounced Misttress as Miss's, or Missus.
So the two titles changed meaning, Miss/Missus taking the place of Mistress, as an honorific of a married woman.

Instead, Mistress was now used for a Man's forbidden love interest outside of marriage!! Possibly because when the menfolk wanted to make their love interests feel good about themselves, they used the full title in their sweet talking ways to sway them over to their side.

Even so, if a married woman had singled out some young girl she didn't like, all she would have to do to insult her was say something alike "So, I hear the young miss is a seamstress?" which was the polite way of saying "so, I hear the young hussy is a prostitute?" since most prostitutes registered as "seamstresses".

Nowadays, most honorifics are falling out of use alltogether, making this a most pointless debate!

But heck, it's fun. :D

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Rafe

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 13, 2010, 12:19:34 PM
Miss refers to an unwed women, and since most unwed women was originally only young women, it has stuck to being used as a standard honorific for young women. Also, Miss was a derivative of Mistress, meaning it was less than the full title for a women of less status. Therefore it was often used negatively, and usually was used for a woman which had an affair on the side.  It is abbriviated as Ms.

Actually, "Miss", being a short word, I suppose, was never abbreviated.  "Ms.", pronounced "miz" was a completely contrived abbreviation, for no actual word.

"Ms." was conceived around 1970 by feminists who were upset that, while men, married or not, were called "Mr.", women had to be Miss or Mrs., which gave special status to married women.  It generally became accepted, mainly because you didn't always know what a woman's status was, and using the wrong "Miss" or "Mrs." could be embarrassing.  The only people who objected were writers, for whom MS meant "manuscript".

Thus began the horror of politically correct speech.  While "Ms." had advantages, and stuck around, other feminist-suggested changes to the male-dominated sexist English language thankfully disappeared, words like "womyn" (because having "man" in "woman" was somehow degrading), "herstory" instead of history, and "ovular" instead of seminar.  

Next time:  Professor Rafe discusses Ebonics.
Rafe

Mrs_A_ZeTavia

Thank you Professor Rafe for that educational lecture and I look forward to your next one about Ebonics. However, I must ask will this lecture be on the mid-term?    :3

Chakat Blackspots

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Rafe on February 13, 2010, 01:42:15 PM
Quote from: Anker Steadfast on February 13, 2010, 12:19:34 PM
Miss refers to an unwed women, and since most unwed women was originally only young women, it has stuck to being used as a standard honorific for young women. Also, Miss was a derivative of Mistress, meaning it was less than the full title for a women of less status. Therefore it was often used negatively, and usually was used for a woman which had an affair on the side.  It is abbriviated as Ms.

Actually, "Miss", being a short word, I suppose, was never abbreviated.  "Ms.", pronounced "miz" was a completely contrived abbreviation, for no actual word.

"Ms." was conceived around 1970 by feminists who were upset that, while men, married or not, were called "Mr.", women had to be Miss or Mrs., which gave special status to married women.  It generally became accepted, mainly because you didn't always know what a woman's status was, and using the wrong "Miss" or "Mrs." could be embarrassing.  The only people who objected were writers, for whom MS meant "manuscript".

Ah, apologize for getting the abbreviations wrong.
My bad.

Quote from: Rafe on February 13, 2010, 01:42:15 PM
Next time:  Professor Rafe discusses Ebonics.

Oh man, I'd actually like to learn something about ebonics. :)

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Treesong

Rafe, 'Ms' was not exactly invented by feminists; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ms. cites proposals from 1901 to 1961. 'The term was again suggested as a convenience to writers of business letters by such publications as the Bulletin of the American Business Writing Association (1951) and The Simplified Letter, issued by the National Office Management Association (1952).' But the launch of Ms. was what finally got it going.

While we're talking about usage--was nobody but me confused by this strip? I couldn't see how it could possibly be impolite to accept an obviously sincere invitation. Quite the opposite. It wasn't until a third or fourth reading that I realized Amber probably meant 'improper'.

Always carry a grapefruit,  Treesong

Failcakes

So far as shipping goes, think this'll get coined "Datilda" or "Man"  :B

Prof B Hunnydew

Well, I am sure Lorenda was not waiting by the phone.. for Dan.

http://www.furaffinity.net/view/3451753/

PBH

I should put this in the art threads...