01/18/10 [Clans #3] - Kish'Ta - She's a Bat

Started by Anker Steadfast, January 18, 2010, 04:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trebaruna

Beautiful image aside, I adore the idea that this clan's adapted themselves to work with technology. That's awkward wording; what I mean to say is they're using the after-effects of technology as a vessel for horror films and imagery to feed off the nightmares they create.

That's just great to think about to me for some reason.  :)

Techcubi

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 18, 2010, 05:29:11 PM
Oh? I thought that being a Tri-Wing and a Clan Founder was connected ?
So I guess they could be Tri-wings without being Clan Founders/leaders and thus still being able to bear children ?

Makes me wonder .. could there be Quad-Wings as well ?

Isn't Tri-wing as high as it gets with Cubi?

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Techcubi on January 18, 2010, 05:31:45 PM
So I guess they could be Tri-wings without being Clan Founders/leaders and thus still being able to bear children ?

I have *no* idea.

That's why I ask.

GAH - I have been lured into fiddling with forum tamagotchies.

Techcubi

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 18, 2010, 05:32:36 PM

I have *no* idea.

That's why I ask.

Well, Tri-wing itself is pretty powerful.

Tapewolf

That is unclear.  There have been debates about it before.
Intuitively I'd say that it's the act of ascension which makes children impossible, as 'Cubi become more ethereal and less mortal as they become more powerful.

The exact link between ascension and creating a clan is unclear and Amber has implied that she wants to keep it that way to avoid some kind of plot spoiler.  She has said that it's possible to create a clan without ascending, by which I presume she means you can branch off an existing clan if you know what you're doing.  This is just an educated guess, though.

I've heard tri-wings can become gods.  That was on the old forum, though, and I'm not 100% sure it's still canon.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2010, 05:27:47 PM
Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 18, 2010, 05:01:35 PM
And I just realised that since she's apparently wearing someone else's actual pelt, we can't see where her marking might be. It could be in the same place as on Cyra and Siar: was there ever agreement that a Clan Leader's marking had to be over the heart?

I dunno how easily I'll be able to find it, but Amber did say that the vixen Tri-wing from the Calendar should in theory have had the marking over her chest, but she came up with that idea later.

Wow, really?  So when you ascend to tri-wing status your clan symbol moves over to your heart? :erk

Also, wearing someone else's skin is technically a way to hide your clan symbol.  Just shape-shift to a skinless state that could fit into the integumentary organ you stole and have it stitched on.

But no matter how you slice it, that sounds so wrong and disturbing in so many ways. *retches*

No, I think cubis can transcend their tri-wing status to a more ethereal God-form, but I may be going by fan fictions as well.

And yes, I'm pretty sure that cubi can found clans without being tri-winged.  After all, that is the best way to grow one's clan after founding it.  It would kind of suck to found a clan and then not be able to grow it because your sterile from your power.

In fan fictions people have been creating clans founded by just two-winged cubis that were old enough, experienced enough, and powerful enough to alter their own symbols into new ones.

Icon by Sunblink

Tapewolf

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 18, 2010, 05:36:17 PM
Wow, really?  So when you ascend to tri-wing status your clan symbol moves over to your heart? :erk

No idea.  For all I know, you get two of them.

thegayhare

Actualy I think It it would make more sense as a founder condition

since to found your own clan you'd have your own symbol. And what ever ritual used to found a clan and replace your old symbol would place the new symbol on the chest

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2010, 05:47:35 PM
Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 18, 2010, 05:36:17 PMWow, really?  So when you ascend to tri-wing status your clan symbol moves over to your heart? :erk
No idea.  For all I know, you get two of them.

Hearts or symbols ? :D

ChaosMageX

Quote from: thegayhare on January 18, 2010, 05:52:04 PM

Actualy I think It it would make more sense as a founder condition

since to found your own clan you'd have your own symbol. And what ever ritual used to found a clan and replace your old symbol would place the new symbol on the chest

Huh, that would actually make some sense.

Then again, in this strip, we see that a symbol can be changed without moving it to a new location, so the ritual of forcibly changing one's symbol to branch a clan could go either way for the one doing the branching.

EDIT:
Also, there are definitely ways to branch a clan through subterfuge without being a tri-wing, such as through magical tattoo, painting additional lines over an already existing symbol to make it seem different.

And I think Daryil founded his clan without being a tri-wing just through a string of bizarre magical biological experiments, but his past is murkier than molasses, so only Tapewolf can say for sure how he pulled it off.

All I know is that it was so different from the conventional means of founding a clan that most other cubi refuse to even acknowledge Daryil Clan's existence.

Icon by Sunblink

thegayhare

You know now that I think about it I'm tempted to write a story specifically so I could describe the ritual to found a clan.  It might be fun

ChaosMageX

Quote from: thegayhare on January 18, 2010, 06:11:26 PM
You know now that I think about it I'm tempted to write a story specifically so I could describe the ritual to found a clan.  It might be fun

I always imagined the rituals of things such as cubification of a being or the founding of a new clan to involve a lot of magical diagrams in curved and circular shapes, but that may be because I'm such a huge fan of Full Metal Alchemist. :D

EDIT:
BTW, where did the fact come from that a cubi only has heads on the tips of their wing tentacles if their clan founder is still alive and tri-winged?

Icon by Sunblink

Magic

True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 18, 2010, 06:15:21 PM
I always imagined the rituals of things such as cubification of a being or the founding of a new clan to involve a lot of magical diagrams in curved and circular shapes, but that may be because I'm such a huge fan of Full Metal Alchemist. :D

It's funny you should mention this whole diagram stuff.
It's really something that did evolve when mathematitiancs met old school alchemists and Christian Kabbalah in the 16th century.

Just take a man like John Dee who tried to make a Seal of God using math and symbolism!
We sorta take it for granted in fantasy literature nowadays, but just think ow how strange the whole notion is to begin with ?

Power from scribblings on a piece of paper ?
Preposterus ! Really !

Shachza

Since the stitches and zipper were pointed out I started looking really close.

Just to throw the wrench in on top...

She's got 2 rows of teeth in there; maybe she was a shark.    :U
            <-- #1 that is!

Tapewolf

BTW, where did the fact come from that a cubi only has heads on the tips of their wing tentacles if their clan founder is still alive and tri-winged?

The wiki is there for a reason  >:3

http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,3268.msg141352.html#msg141352
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,3268.msg141367.html#msg141367

I'm loath to talk about my stuff here too much, but to answer your earlier question, Daryil's unorthodox methods are partly a frig to help protect me if the relevant mechanisms were later revealed to be different in DMFA proper.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Anker Steadfast on January 18, 2010, 06:27:09 PM

It's funny you should mention this whole diagram stuff.
It's really something that did evolve when mathematitiancs met old school alchemists and Christian Kabbalah in the 16th century.

Just take a man like John Dee who tried to make a Seal of God using math and symbolism!

The Monas Hieroglyphica looks like it could be a clan symbol, and it's the title of book, so that's a book in real life that probably looks like it's been written by a cubi clan. xD

But still, the fact that most clan symbols look like some sort of glyph would tie into the need to use diagrams to perform cubi related rituals.

Icon by Sunblink

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 18, 2010, 06:37:02 PM
the fact that most clan symbols look like some sort of glyph would tie into the need to use diagrams to perform cubi related rituals.

Unless the glyphs are treated like the old viking runes, where each rune had power in itself.
Just runes and symbols like Thors hammer, also being the rune for Thor.
And also being the symbol for strength, and craftsmanship.

But no diagrams was used.

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2010, 06:35:57 PM
The wiki is there for a reason  >:3

Thanks for the info, Tapewolf.  I'll be sure to read the wiki more often.  I have been increasing lately to reference the fan-created clans.

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 18, 2010, 06:35:57 PM
Daryil's unorthodox methods are partly a frig to help protect me if the relevant mechanisms were later revealed to be different in DMFA proper.

Yes, and that's why I'm going to have my non-tri-wing Gemini mythos cubi found hir clan by studying some of Daryil's techniques, for the exact same reason. >:3

TGH, you can attempt to write your own fan-fiction about how to found a cubi clan, but I doubt it will correct.

I would suggest just waiting until Amber reveals the correct method to us...about 500,000 years from now, if not longer. :P

Icon by Sunblink

Magic

QuoteHer age is over 24,000!

How old is fear?
As old as the beginning of complex creatures with brains. Don't instincts come packaged with the patented Flight or Fight system? That there is the foundation for the emotion we call fear. It's in your brain, controlling your doubt, or your subconscious pooling into your nightmares. Imagine it skittering in the thousands inside your fleshy brain and eating at reason and courage with vicious claws until it bursts out of your skin and abject cowardice takes over.

I'm surprised the Kish'Ta didn't exist earlier. (She's also kind of cute. I mean look at her face! :3)

I'm excited only because this is one of the very few times Amber will ever draw squicky things like pulling bloody red internal organs out of a characters mouth, much to my eternal delight. I'm a very bad person.
True Magic does not bow down to rules like mana or sacrifice. True Magic bends all rules. I have seen the truth. I am now free forever. (I used to be Doctor Ink. Now stop asking.)

ChaosMageX

Quote from: Magic on January 18, 2010, 07:21:02 PM
I'm excited only because this is one of the very few times Amber will ever draw squicky things like pulling bloody red internal organs out of a characters mouth, much to my eternal delight. I'm a very bad person.

And you say you don't do the evil doctor thing anymore. >:3  I wonder how you were when you did.

Icon by Sunblink

Keleth

I would still giggle madly and crazily if all of Amber's Posts were to create confusion and misinform people of how her world actually works. :3

Though, If we're relying on fan fiction to determine who cubi are made to be. . . . .

I say clans are created when Chemical X gets added to the Kool-Aid on suicide night.  :3
Help! I'm gay!

Jim Halisstrad

It seems we caught her in her birthday suit and boy is her face sure red.

thegayhare

Quote from: ChaosMageX on January 18, 2010, 07:02:09 PM

TGH, you can attempt to write your own fan-fiction about how to found a cubi clan, but I doubt it will correct.

I would suggest just waiting until Amber reveals the correct method to us...about 500,000 years from now, if not longer. :P

Oh I know that, but it seems like fun

Turnsky

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tycoon

Few artists are able to make me spit-take broccoli through sight alone. Kudos, Amber.

Anker Steadfast

Quote from: Tycoon on January 18, 2010, 08:49:06 PM
Few artists are able to make me spit-take broccoli through sight alone. Kudos, Amber.

Yeah, like when briggs described Dan, that made me snort cola.  :D

SquirrelWizard

Have you seen her age? I think that technically classifies as a face lift.
Update Status: Zombified

<Tezkat> Talking to yourself is a sign of impending mental collapse.
<SquirrelWizard> I talk to myself all the time, and I'm the sanest guy I know.

<TotalBiscuit> Upgrades! Upgrades! Upgrades! Its wacky-waving-inflatable-arm waving... nuclear missile... well, suppose that works...

Jim Halisstrad

I just noticed this.... she's doing the best *facepalms*  Ever.

Greyman

Remember, vampires are emo wannabes here, compared to Kish'Ta and the Nightmare clan.

Heh.  I like how her clan is putting their dream traveling expertise (and shape shifting) to work in the movie business.  Heh. Heh.