12/04/09 [Xmas #1] - Holiday Spirit

Started by !KCA, December 04, 2009, 03:55:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zedd

Is that Christmas carolers I hear in the background or am I going more insane then ever?

John Roh

Quote from: terrycloth on December 04, 2009, 06:42:46 PM
Jingle bells
batman smells
robin layed an egg
batmobile
lost a wheel
the joker got away!
weird when I was growing up it was exactly the same except the last bit "and joker broke his leg"

Lego3400

Quote from: terrycloth on December 04, 2009, 06:42:46 PM
Jingle bells
batman smells
robin layed an egg
batmobile
lost a wheel
the joker got away!

...my sister told me I wasn't allowed to teach her kids that version.:(

I made up like 3 or 4 more verses as a kid. I can vaguly remember some of them. They were totally random like "Batgirls in the bedrooms makeing all the beds". It fits to the tune though.

Baal Hadad

Well, I have to give a backhanded compliment now--much as I hate the "Elmo's World" rendition of Jingle Bells, it's the least bad example of changing Christmas carol lyrics, which is a particular pet peeve of mine....

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Baal Hadad on December 05, 2009, 02:54:55 AM
Well, I have to give a backhanded compliment now--much as I hate the "Elmo's World" rendition of Jingle Bells, it's the least bad example of changing Christmas carol lyrics, which is a particular pet peeve of mine....

I probably should be glad I haven't heard that then, I don't like it when people do that either.  It tends to irk me somewhat when someone uses the tune of most standard christian music (old style, not current generation rock type) and changes the lyrics to them.

Attic Rat

Quote from: kusanagi-sama on December 05, 2009, 12:30:38 PM

I probably should be glad I haven't heard that then, I don't like it when people do that either.  It tends to irk me somewhat when someone uses the tune of most standard christian music (old style, not current generation rock type) and changes the lyrics to them.

Not a problem here. None of the tunes in this thread were even faintly relevent to Christianity. Most of what we celebrate as "Christmas" is gobbledegook made up by non-Christians, anyway.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Lego3400

Quote from: Attic Rat on December 05, 2009, 06:43:26 PM

I probably should be glad I haven't heard that then, I don't like it when people do that either.  It tends to irk me somewhat when someone uses the tune of most standard christian music (old style, not current generation rock type) and changes the lyrics to them.

Not a problem here. None of the tunes in this thread were even faintly relevent to Christianity. Most of what we celebrate as "Christmas" is gobbledegook made up by non-Christians, anyway.

Indeed. Xmas as we know it was based on a pagen holiday. And before someone gets on me for useing Xmas and takeing the "Christ" out of Christmas. I have a list of facts for you
1. X is the Greek Symbol for Chi
2. Chi is the first 3 letters of Christ
3. Way back then, X (Chi) was used to represent Christ as a code by his followers. The current government at the time, (I think it was the Romans) didn't like Judeism or the (then) new Christianity.

I've been wanting to spread that info and rub it ins someone's face since I learned it myself.

Baal Hadad

I was going to say, "Jingle Bells" scarcely qualifies as a Christmas song anyway--winter, sure, but what in the lyrics actually has to do with Christmas, its celebration, or anything either religious or secular relating to it (other than snow and a sleigh, which isn't even Santa's)?

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Lego3400 on December 05, 2009, 07:32:15 PM
Quote from: Attic Rat on December 05, 2009, 06:43:26 PM

I probably should be glad I haven't heard that then, I don't like it when people do that either.  It tends to irk me somewhat when someone uses the tune of most standard christian music (old style, not current generation rock type) and changes the lyrics to them.

Indeed. Xmas as we know it was based on a pagen holiday. And before someone gets on me for useing Xmas and takeing the "Christ" out of Christmas. I have a list of facts for you
1. X is the Greek Symbol for Chi
2. Chi is the first 3 letters of Christ
3. Way back then, X (Chi) was used to represent Christ as a code by his followers. The current government at the time, (I think it was the Romans) didn't like Judeism or the (then) new Christianity.

I've been wanting to spread that info and rub it ins someone's face since I learned it myself.

I learned that last year when someone posted it on what was either a DeviantArt journal or a FurAffinity journal, so I reposted that on my FA journal.  You would think that pastors would research what something is, but for the most part they would rather have their interpretations told instead (which I do see alot of, its rare for a pastor to be accurate about things)

I have been aware for quite some time that the day Christmas is celebrated on was originally a pagan holiday and the Catholic church decided to celebrate Christmas on that instead.  I think I've also heard that Jesus was probably born in the spring instead of winter.

Naldru

You forgot to mention that many of the Protestant (non-Catholic, since some would have objected to being called Protestant) groups viewed Christmas as a Papist plot.  You could be jailed in Massachusetts for celebrating Christmas.  (Which may be part of the reason that some felt that it was very important to have freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights).

*** Edit ***

With regard to the Church of England being the main cause of religion of freedom, you can look up the history of the Puritans, the people who settled Massachusetts.  They moved to the colonies because they longed for the days of Cromwell when the Church of England enforced a no tolerance policy towards worship.  Note that the Pilgrims/Puritans called themselves Congregationalists, and Cromwell was a congregationalist.

***  Still yet another edit ***

There is a reason that the phrase banned in Boston has become part of the American idiom.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Chakat Blackspots

Quote from: Naldru on December 06, 2009, 06:01:30 PM
You forgot to mention that many of the Protestant (non-Catholic, since some would have objected to being called Protestant) groups viewed Christmas as a Papist plot.  You could be jailed in Massachusetts for celebrating Christmas.  (Which may be part of the reason that some felt that it was very important to have freedom of religion in the Bill of Rights).

Now that's wild, that and the main reason for freedom of religion was because of The Church of England.

Scow2

As far as Christmas once being banned in Boston by the Puritans... that much is true. Puritans sought refuge because the Church of England was intolerant of the religious intolerance of said Puritans... Learn something new everyday.

Attic Rat

That's why they chose the name "Puritans". They saw the Church of England as having become corrupted, and they wished to follow a "purer" version of the faith. When you tell the people running your country how corrupt and impure they are, they get angry. Especially if your accusations are true.
Some Catholic authorities are still mad at Martin Luther for doing just exactly that.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?