6/27/09 [DMFA #1018] Diagrams From Hammerspace

Started by Lisky, June 27, 2009, 01:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teroniss

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 27, 2009, 05:24:20 AM
Quote from: Teroniss on June 27, 2009, 05:06:19 AM
I agree with Ominous. This is probably Fa'Lina's doing. No way she wouldnt sense Cyra's sudden stirring, even in SAIA

... unless Cyra was deliberately or accidentally doing something to hide herself or her children from people. Like, say, the Dragons...

Oh, wait. She is.

I don't remember it being said that the Dragon's were after the entirety of Cyra's clan, only Destania and her ilk. (Which my guess is due to her hiding Aniz from Hizell in Abel's Story, but thats neither here nor there.) Now if that implies that since Cyra made it seem like Destania was the only one left in her clan, that the Dragon's would also be after her, I guess I didnt make that connection, oh well.

But from what Ive read so far, it seems the dragon's are only after Destania and her family.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Teroniss on June 27, 2009, 07:11:19 AM
I don't remember it being said that the Dragon's were after the entirety of Cyra's clan, only Destania and her ilk.

Well, in strip 728, Fa'Lina says "The second any dragon finds out Dan is from Cyra's clan, they are going to try to kill him" (except for Pyroduck).
It may not be that simple of course, but an attack on Cyra Clan itself sounds like it to me.  It's possible that the dragons - or certain factions thereof - have a vendetta against all clans with a tri-winged Founder, but that is strictly a theory.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 27, 2009, 06:19:11 AM
Did she? What'd she do, then?
I don't know, but could it be the subtitle?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Naldru

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 27, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 27, 2009, 05:05:13 AM
I still can't watch that series.

Wait, those books got a tv series? The White Mountains, The City Of Gold And Lead, and Pool Of Fire? Jesus, those were creepy enough when I read them growing up.
Apparently, Touchstone Pictures is going to release a movie trilogy of the series, with the first movie scheduled for 2012.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Janus Whitefurr

Quote from: Turnsky on June 27, 2009, 06:51:31 AM
Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 27, 2009, 05:54:09 AM
I still can't watch that series.

Wait, those books got a tv series? The White Mountains, The City Of Gold And Lead, and Pool Of Fire? Jesus, those were creepy enough when I read them growing up.

the only tripods i feared fired heatrays and came from mars.

These ones Capped your head which destroyed your willpower and creativity and turned you into a smiling, nonthreatening, perpetually happy drone. At least, that's how I remember it being. The Capped were always quiet, perpetually normal, and unassuming, and one chapter reflected on how a girl they'd met on their escape went from rambunctious and energetic to docile and smiling when she was Capped.

And when the Tripod is chasing the three of them via tracking... the ominousness of it is just *brrgh*. It was when I was in high school, anyway. Yay thread derailment to talk about books.
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

Psy-Kosh

As I understand it, when the summoner dies, the warp-aci evapourates and goes back to its native dimension (see demonology).

From the relevant demo 101 page: "While most Warp-Aci automatically return to their realm upon their owner's death, some will simply become free-ranging Aci."

Hence the puzzle. :)

Turnsky

Quote from: Janus Whitefurr on June 27, 2009, 10:27:40 AM
These ones Capped your head which destroyed your willpower and creativity and turned you into a smiling, nonthreatening, perpetually happy drone.

so... people who like Uwe Boll movies, "Idol" and other assorted reality television?   >:3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Garsemor

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on June 27, 2009, 10:33:57 AM
From the relevant demo 101 page: "While most Warp-Aci automatically return to their realm upon their owner's death, some will simply become free-ranging Aci."

Hence the puzzle. :)

I have a small theory about how it might be possible. If the summoner transfers all/a large enough percentage of they're magical energy to the warp-aci it might become a stable being from this realm then a summoned visitor form another. We know that aci are from a other realm which means that they are part of that world and when the are summoned to another realm it forms a sort of gap in because they're magic has left it's place in nature and that place is being kept reserved and empty. This gap will try to suck the aci back to it's place but the aci is being kept in this world using a sort of chain linking it to it's summoner. If this chain is broken (the summoner dies or severs the link) the aci's magical energy will soon be pulled back in to the gap, but if the summoner sends enough magic to the aci, it will replace the magic that is sucked back in to the gap allowing the aci to remain in this realm.

In short if the summoner replaces the magic that is sucked back in to the origin, of the aci's magic, whit his own the, aci will no longer be tied to it's realm but instead become a creature of this realm and be free to dance around in meadows. :boogie (too bad that there aren't any warp-aci emotion faces)

One last simplification if the summoner gives his magic to the aci it will become a creature of this realm and loses it's ties to it's original realm.

TheWhiteChild

Hello there, I am new here~ I read this thread a bit previously, and I'd like to say I think the tripod thing is just for randomness's sake, but as for Fi... Think sponge with water. Dan's suddenly giving off a LOT of power since he's been suppressing his magic power the entire time since he was a child due to trauma, and now that he let it go, it's like opening the floodgates. Now, if Fi's a magical sponge, being hit by that flood of magic is definitely gonna inflate him a few sizes.

Yay for unbearably logical Aspies!

tiggertoo

However, I'm not entirely sure what happens when the link to the warp-aci is broken - in theory that should have stopped the flow of power, since Fa'Lina was no longer able to detect Fi and if it was still drawing power she should have been able to feel it, at least in principle.

Well, the sword that Fi hid in was from Matilda's -- remember that she sells devices with magical portals to pocket dimension "homes" - this is why Fi was able to hide "in" the sword. Probably he sensed the portal and dove into it in his panic to get away from the TEETH! Being in the pocket dimension probably isolated him/it from Fa'lina's detection. The lack of power flow though may have been why Fi came back out -- he got "hungry" essentially.

Shadowcatcher

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on June 27, 2009, 10:33:57 AM

Free-ranging, grass-fed Aci ... it's what's for dinner.

TheWhiteChild

I suggest don't try it... Warp-aci are terribly bitter-tasting. ><

SpottedKitty

And your tongue ends up looking like you ate a burnt marshmallow.   ;)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

TheWhiteChild

I tried licking one just to test the texture... I didn't think they would have an actual taste... they do. Tastes like ash mixed with overcooked asparagus. Bleeech!

Arcblade

Abel is just not having a very good week, is he?  Lots of new expressions.  Maybe Amber's starting to draw him differently and I'm just a doofus. 

LoneHowler

Well I made my Aci see my signature, I just wish I had my tablet working doing it via laptop mouse is hard
Yes I know I'm a horrid speller queen of typos but dang it, I'm trying to get better
MY warp aci crappy photoshop I wish I had my tablet working
My Yappty thanks Silver :)
(hmm my sig needs updating. eeeeeh I'll do it later 07/29/06)

JackTheCubiWolf

That was funny. Oooo, I just had an idea for a new horror movie, stalker diagrams.
I'm back, and tired.

Jer-oh-me

I don't think XKCD has done that gag, maybe Amber should try copyrighting it. XD Just kidding. I love the sneaky graphs, perhaps it's a similar thing to the Warp Aci? Subconscious Visual Aid Summoning? Interesting skill, would probably switch from being setting for that particular one, would help in school, and for my dissertation.

e_voyager

these things happen no one is to blame so don't even try to find a signature on the graph or an label of ownership on the tripod M'kay?
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

The_one_who_is_odd

I think the reason Fi changed was that Dan isn't in good control of his powers as it is so now that there is an increase in Dan's power the overflow is getting transferred to Fi

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Jer-oh-me on June 27, 2009, 08:51:32 PM
I don't think XKCD has done that gag, maybe Amber should try copyrighting it. XD Just kidding. I love the sneaky graphs, perhaps it's a similar thing to the Warp Aci? Subconscious Visual Aid Summoning? Interesting skill, would probably switch from being setting for that particular one, would help in school, and for my dissertation.

Well, XKCD did do a strip about a rather dangerous diagram.