06/13/09 [DMFA #1014]-Wake up with some make-up

Started by OminousShadow, June 13, 2009, 03:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psaakyrn

Not to mention that we're only working with our spectrum of sight anyway. For all we know, magical sight will instantly detect the cubi marking no matter how much mundane coverup you do. For instance, Matilda can tell that Dan is a cubi without any sort of physical symptoms, presumably by her third eye. (feathered wings are not immediately associated as cubi only after all, and is likely a somewhat common symptom of magically-attuned being adventurers)

Even so, conventional makeup would probably help as a first line of disguise, for conventional beings. I imagine that make-up would only be one of the many measures Abel's going/planning to do, in addition to refashioning his robes yet again, and teaching Dan the in/outs of Cyra (seeing that he probably doesn't even know about Cyra's relationship with dragons), and of clan symbols in general (again, all he knows about clan symbols is only from adventuring..). At least until Jyrras manages to speak out that he can probably make a patch to mostly hide the clan symbol anyway. (Possibly one of the reasons why Mab is so interested in getting Jyrras to speed up his patch development..)

(and as for Abel knowing that Dan came into power... he has read a complete dossier of Dan, which I presume has friendly tidbits of the Cyra clan as well.)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 13, 2009, 01:45:06 PM
For all we know, magical sight will instantly detect the cubi marking no matter how much mundane coverup you do. For instance, Matilda can tell that Dan is a cubi without any sort of physical symptoms, presumably by her third eye.

In strip 640, she says "You have a good soul... that is what I noticed first about you when you came in with your friend to my shop".  At the risk of taking this too much at face value, it's not impossible that she is literally able to perceive souls.  If so, it would certainly explain how she knew what he was at a glance, despite there being few outward signs.

Quote(and as for Abel knowing that Dan came into power... he has read a complete dossier of Dan, which I presume has friendly tidbits of the Cyra clan as well.)

If you mean that he's read that Dan has come into power, no, because that event only happened when he fought DP just now.
If you mean that he's read that Dan is a Cyra Clan incubus, then yes, that would certainly be in the dossier, if only because he knows who Dan's mother is.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Caph Abash

I'm going to side with learning for the "body art versus learning" debate on what Abel meant by 'make-up'. Abel's goal was to protect and presumably teach self-defense to Dan until Dan comes to SAIA. Not having done a whole lot of that, and seeing that Dan just came to power and was in a big struggle, it'd be a good time to catch up. Also, Abel has done nothing to hide the Cyra Clan symbols in the inn, and all the factions against Cyra clan seem to already know about Dan to some extent. Hiding it seems pointless by now.

Quote from: Lucheek on June 13, 2009, 01:18:30 PM
(And a question on hiding Clan-Marks, couldn't Dan just shape-shift his entire body blue so the mark would still be there, but "invisibile"?)
Cubi cannot, in any magical way, hide their markings. I assume that doing as you suggested would just make the marking glow, or perhaps they cannot become the color of the marking.

When I read the "wakeup with some makeup" I heard it in the deep, booming voice from that "Chop-Suey" song, along with Abel's face...
Serj Tankian.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Caph Abash on June 13, 2009, 02:14:00 PM
I'm going to side with learning for the "body art versus learning" debate on what Abel meant by 'make-up'. Abel's goal was to protect and presumably teach self-defense to Dan until Dan comes to SAIA. Not having done a whole lot of that, and seeing that Dan just came to power and was in a big struggle, it'd be a good time to catch up. Also, Abel has done nothing to hide the Cyra Clan symbols in the inn,
This is true, but AFAIK all the Cyra portraits are in private areas of the inn, such as Dan's room, the master bedroom and so forth.

Quoteand all the factions against Cyra clan seem to already know about Dan to some extent.
I'm not sure about that.  According to Biggs' intelligence and Fa'Lina's comments shortly after, the Dragons don't know about Dan at all and IMHO this whole exercise is about ensuring that remains the case.
DP is a separate issue, though things would get nasty if he informed the dragons about Dan.

QuoteCubi cannot, in any magical way, hide their markings. I assume that doing as you suggested would just make the marking glow, or perhaps they cannot become the color of the marking.
The interesting thing is that a number of 'Cubi seem to have the marking the same colour as the primaries of theirs wings, or the wing colour itself for demon-type wings.
There are lots of counter-examples (Cyra for example) but Dan, Aniz, Siar and Aary all seem to have this trait.  While what you propose is possible, I'd be surprised personally.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 02:02:25 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 13, 2009, 01:45:06 PM
For all we know, magical sight will instantly detect the cubi marking no matter how much mundane coverup you do. For instance, Matilda can tell that Dan is a cubi without any sort of physical symptoms, presumably by her third eye.

In strip 640, she says "You have a good soul... that is what I noticed first about you when you came in with your friend to my shop".  At the risk of taking this too much at face value, it's not impossible that she is literally able to perceive souls.  If so, it would certainly explain how she knew what he was at a glance, despite there being few outward signs.

Quote(and as for Abel knowing that Dan came into power... he has read a complete dossier of Dan, which I presume has friendly tidbits of the Cyra clan as well.)

If you mean that he's read that Dan has come into power, no, because that event only happened when he fought DP just now.
If you mean that he's read that Dan is a Cyra Clan incubus, then yes, that would certainly be in the dossier, if only because he knows who Dan's mother is.

Well, being able to percieve souls is still an extrasensory capability, which was my point anyway: conventional methods of hiding doesn't prevent detection by extrasensory means.

I meant from Dan's dossier that it would contain info on how to tell if/when Dan comes to power, what symptoms to look out for, what's so special about Cyra (though the part about dragons is likely common knowledge), and etc

Also, technically, dragons (or at least, a lower/younger/intelligence-impaired one) do know about Dan, though probably not the lineage with Cyra. Assuming that Dragons do all hate Cyra, and the dragon isn't acting, of cause.; I wouldn't be suprized if there're factions of dragons, only one of which hates Cyra. (also, not including Pyroduck, which is in all likelyhood a rogue dragon anyway)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 13, 2009, 02:38:30 PM
I meant from Dan's dossier that it would contain info on how to tell if/when Dan comes to power, what symptoms to look out for, what's so special about Cyra (though the part about dragons is likely common knowledge), and etc

Ah, yes.  That would make a lot of sense.

rabid_fox

Mostly, I'm aroused by the prospect of an 80's make-up montage. Especially if Hy

Oh dear.

Garsemor

I wonder if Abel knows Dan is Cyra's grandson and not just s Cyra clan incubus. If he doesn't than we have a lot of flashbacking, dialoging, explaining, describing, inberesing (or ocword) moments and finally lots of revealed secrets, waiting fore us.

SpottedKitty

(And a question on hiding Clan-Marks, couldn't Dan just shape-shift his entire body blue so the mark would still be there, but "invisibile"?)

Maybe that's why we haven't seen Destania's marking yet — not because it's on a part of her we've always seen covered by clothes, but because her fur's the same shade of blue. After all, there isn't a lot of contrast between Cyra's fur and marking colours.

(I thought for a moment we had the same situation with Fa'lina, but I'd misremembered the colour of her marking: not white, but light purple. Although if she's in the habit of shapeshifting her clothes, maybe it's always covered with purple "cloth"...)
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Attic Rat

Dan's life is in danger. Abel is supposed to guard him...
I'd guess Abel would naturally want to get Dan into the safety of Saia as quickly as possible. The obvious answer would be to use Fi to teleport Dan immediately, but maybe there's some problem related to Fi growing larger..? Anyway, what I see in Abel's face is a sort of "Follow me if you want to live!" moment.

We know that Dan is not skilled in altering his appearance, and so Abel will have to help somehow.
Whether or not the bags contain "make-up", maybe Abel knows a way to alter the fur around a clan mark temporarily. The mark can't be hidden, but might be made less recognizable.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Attic Rat on June 13, 2009, 03:45:42 PM
Whether or not the bags contain "make-up", maybe Abel knows a way to alter the fur around a clan mark temporarily. The mark can't be hidden, but might be made less recognizable.

He's going to cut one of the bags up and stick the bits to Dan's shoulder  The other bag contains sellotape and scissors.

GabrielsThoughts

I suppose abel could make t look like a kitty. it would e easy enough to raw eyes and whiskers
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Forycles

Here I am to make a newbish comment!
Abel, put your a shirt on!

Does Dan know he's Lorenda's 'boyfriend' yet? After all, both times that statement was made (He[Dan] is my/my daughter's boyfriend) Dan wasn't near enough to hear it. And Aliph never yelled why Dan had reached a new low to Dan, just that he had.

Corgatha Taldorthar

I'm not in any way suggesting Abel will do this or even thought of this.

But hypothetically, if the 'cubi's clan mark is on a limb, and that limb gets severed, is the 'cbui then "incognito" (at least as far as clan markings are concerned.) What if the limb gets regenerated? Can Cubi' use their shapeshifting to regrow lost limbs?

Blah blah blah.

*sticks up an Ignore me, I'm a boring Nerd sign.*
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Attic Rat on June 13, 2009, 03:45:42 PM
Dan's life is in danger. Abel is supposed to guard him...
I'd guess Abel would naturally want to get Dan into the safety of Saia as quickly as possible. The obvious answer would be to use Fi to teleport Dan immediately, but maybe there's some problem related to Fi growing larger..? Anyway, what I see in Abel's face is a sort of "Follow me if you want to live!" moment.

We know that Dan is not skilled in altering his appearance, and so Abel will have to help somehow.

The main issue with teleporting Dan to SAIA, is that Dan doesn't  want to be there.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 13, 2009, 05:45:08 PM

But hypothetically, if the 'cubi's clan mark is on a limb, and that limb gets severed, is the 'cbui then "incognito" (at least as far as clan markings are concerned.) What if the limb gets regenerated? Can Cubi' use their shapeshifting to regrow lost limbs?

Blah blah blah.

I would guess that the cubi would lose association with his/her/it's clan... and all the benifits associated with it. Though another possibility is that the clan symbol will just reappear in another spot if the cubi tries to use his/her/it's clan's benifits, since the symbol seems linked directly to usage of the clan's power anyway.

Sunblink

Blah blah blah.

Amputation does not hide a clan marking. I know this from my learnings.

And by my learnings, I mean I LEARNED IT FROM READING THE DMFA WIKI ARTICLE WHICH I WROTE.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on June 13, 2009, 07:13:11 PM
And by my learnings, I mean I LEARNED IT FROM READING THE DMFA WIKI ARTICLE WHICH I WROTE.

I note that the specifics of this particular detail (footnote 18, for those looking) are from Aaryanna's livejournal, which is, as I recall, not necessarily canon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong there, but I was under the impression Aary-Kitty was someone in cahoots with Amber, without actually _being_ Amber. If that makes sense...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Turnsky

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 13, 2009, 09:50:46 PM

I note that the specifics of this particular detail (footnote 18, for those looking) are from Aaryanna's livejournal, which is, as I recall, not necessarily canon.

Please correct me if I'm wrong there, but I was under the impression Aary-Kitty was someone in cahoots with Amber, without actually _being_ Amber. If that makes sense...

Very true, llearch, but considering that said LJ has been cited as gospel in the past by others, it'd be fair to entertain this line of thought, because that's what a discussion forum is all about, discussion of multiple lines of thought.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Psaakyrn

Blah blah blah.

Amputation does not hide a clan marking. I know this from my learnings.

Technically I find the thread/portions which describes regeneration... lacking. All it confirms is that it cannot be used as a long term solution, but I sincerely doubt lower-powered cubi can regenerate instantly, proven by that Abel needed to have the rest of his wing found before it can be stiched in. It's more likely Aniz casted a heal spell at that point, which is surprizingly effective. (also note how fast Abel got his wing stiched back in)

Not saying that Cubi can't regenerate fast, but it requires certain levels of power, like being in a clan with a tri-wing, demonstrated by Dan reviving from Wildy beating up Azlan. (though granted the Fae probably increased the pain input or some such)

EDIT: issues posted in the talkpage for that article.

ishidan

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on June 13, 2009, 08:38:19 AM
There is a class of males in the U.S. where the application of makeup is in no way tied to the mans masculinity, or lack there of:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/shewbird/MakeupArtists.jpg

(yes, I'm in the photo)
Sloppy sloppy.  Your ears stick out like jug handles. 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 10:24:23 PM
Very true, llearch, but considering that said LJ has been cited as gospel in the past by others, it'd be fair to entertain this line of thought, because that's what a discussion forum is all about, discussion of multiple lines of thought.  :3
Preferably without turning it into a flamewar, I might add...

As for Aary's livejournal, I'm not sure anyone has claimed it's gospel.  It's something to take with a pinch of salt, but it did make a number of predictions which later turned out to be spot-on.  YMMV, Past performance is no guarantee of future performance, etc etc.

bradypodidae

Quote from: ishidan on June 14, 2009, 02:14:32 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on June 13, 2009, 08:38:19 AM
There is a class of males in the U.S. where the application of makeup is in no way tied to the mans masculinity, or lack there of:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/shewbird/MakeupArtists.jpg

(yes, I'm in the photo)
Sloppy sloppy.  Your ears stick out like jug handles. 

:ot That isn't the only SNAFU if you really look... it was a Dog & Pony, we were wearing CVC Helmets, and I couldn't understand why a C2 crew were greasing up in the first place (we're inside the vehicles). Gotta look pretty for the VIP photo ops...
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Sunblink

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 13, 2009, 09:50:46 PM

Aary_Kitty is Amber.

I think. I think I saw her use the journal to post in Zina's Secret Santa LJ entry.

Psaakyrn

Actually, another thought: what happens if a cubi uses a patch to morph into something which doesn't have the bodypart in which their clan symbol is on? Granted, the only situation currently available is mow patches on cubi with their clan symbol on their shoulders/chests/back, which technically could be duplicated onto the respective sides of the mow...

(also, in case my previous edits are skipped due to my post being old, I've raised my concerns on the talkpage of the cubi wiki article.)

Attic Rat

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 13, 2009, 06:03:46 PM
The main issue with teleporting Dan to SAIA, is that Dan doesn't  want to be there.

Dan doesn't want to go there as a student... He could be persuaded to go there as a warrior.

Edit:
Trim your damn quotes, Attic Rat.
    -- llearch n'n'daCorna
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Attic Rat on June 14, 2009, 06:54:29 PM
Dan doesn't want to go there as a student... He could be persuaded to go there as a warrior.

He also swore pacifism with cubi, so I don't know what you're trying to imply there.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 14, 2009, 07:19:45 PM
He also swore pacifism with cubi, so I don't know what you're trying to imply there.

I think he means "to become an incubus adventurer" and use his new skills and powers 'for the good of many' as Ink put it.  Not to kick 'cubi ass  :P

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2009, 07:24:23 PM

I think he means "to become an incubus adventurer" and use his new skills and powers 'for the good of many' as Ink put it.  Not to kick 'cubi ass  :P

That would still imply being a student though, though I may just be misunderstanding here.

inuhanyo

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 14, 2009, 07:49:41 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 14, 2009, 07:24:23 PM

That would still imply being a student though, though I may just be misunderstanding here.

The only other alternative I can think of, is if SAIA needed an Adventurer.