06/13/09 [DMFA #1014]-Wake up with some make-up

Started by OminousShadow, June 13, 2009, 03:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 07:16:58 AM
don't forget the ace in the hole: it seems that Cubi, no matter what form they take, can't hide their clan mark.

Just a guess, but that probably doesn't apply to their in-dream projections.
EDIT:
It doesn't - Dan's mark is missing in the dream.

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 13, 2009, 07:15:53 AM
And didn't Cyra seem oddly allowing when Dan wanted to discontinue the conversation? Hardly like a protective clan leader here.
It may just be that she's waited 7000 years for a grandchild and couldn't restrain herself when she finally had the power to talk to him  :P

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 13, 2009, 07:18:43 AM
Also, we never do see "Cyra's" back. Now, we do see the symbol in front, but do we have anything that prove that a 'cubi cannot forge the clan symbol of another clan onto him/herself?
I'm sure they could if they wanted to.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Noone

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on June 13, 2009, 07:15:53 AM
Dan *is* under fire, and quite possibly will not survive without some sort of help. Abel does not seem to know how he got into the DP household and roughed up. And didn't Cyra seem oddly allowing when Dan wanted to discontinue the conversation? Hardly like a protective clan leader here. Granted, it's hard to determine what Abel's actual motivations are, beyond a desire to protect Dan, but given Dan's reactions in the past, a sudden appearance like this might frighten him away from further contact with his clan "Which would be for his own good" if the whole "Cyra Clan and dragons are at each other's throats" thing is true.
I think what Abel is trying to do is get Dan back into SAIA, so he can get back to his own life and not have to worry so much about protecting Dan. He wasn't too happy to go with him in the first place if I recall, even though he does show genuine concern for Dan's well being. By all accounts, he should be safe in Fa'Lina's domain.

LionHeart

Quote from: Scarydragon on June 13, 2009, 07:17:04 AM
I think we're all missing the big question, which would be, where is Dan getting all of his sleeveless turtleneck shirts? :P
At the mall?
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

bradypodidae

Abel's remark in the second panel,"...who I can only guess you met while dreaming," leads me to believe that clan founders visiting the newest "awakened" members through dream interactions is a common event.
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

MT Hazard

My first though on panel one was 'not very observant is he?' but then I remembered the number of times I've found cuts/scrapes and have no idea how I got them
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on June 13, 2009, 07:59:53 AM
Abel's remark in the second panel,"...who I can only guess you met while dreaming," leads me to believe that clan founders visiting the newest "awakened" members through dream interactions is a common event.

Yes, ish.  The thing is that there's only about 12 clans who have a Founder in the whole world.  That said, it's entirely possible that a Clan's official leader (Founder or no) may be able to do this kind of thing as well to a lesser extent.

bradypodidae

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 08:10:26 AM
Quote from: proeliator bradypodidae on June 13, 2009, 07:59:53 AM

Yes, ish.  The thing is that there's only about 12 clans who have a Founder in the whole world.  That said, it's entirely possible that a Clan's official leader (Founder or no) may be able to do this kind of thing as well to a lesser extent.

Noted. Perhaps 'common' was a poor choice, however, I would venture to say it is not 'uncommon,' albeit possible rare.

There is a class of males in the U.S. where the application of makeup is in no way tied to the mans masculinity, or lack there of:

http://i585.photobucket.com/albums/ss294/shewbird/MakeupArtists.jpg

(yes, I'm in the photo)
Heroic adventuring at the speed of slow.
Never mistake kindness as a sign of weakness.
Not a complete idiot, parts missing.

Dropping Proeliator from the name was way overdue.

Avi by Tabi

USMC

Buhamet

When in doubt of hiding places, Makeup!

also, by the sounds of what Abel was saying in the second Panel, it's quite possible/likely that this is a common occurance for Cubi both in SAIA and out of SAIA...... people at SAIA could have told him it happened, it could've happened to him, heck, with 375 years under his belt at SAIA, it's more than likely he'd become used to what happens

Dracora

Well, we're assuming that this talk that Cyra has with Dan is uncommon for Cubi. But I thought most cubi have some sort of link with their founder[EDIT] provided they have one. [EDIT] I'd wager a guess that Dan tapping into his power reserves is what allowed Fi to grow and also cause Cyra to be able to talk to him. I'd also wager a guess that whenever a cubi comes into power and becomes aware of their situation, their clan founder pops in to say hello via that link. Abel was an exception because his clan founder was dead when he came into power. If cubi are fond enough of their clan leader to go to war and get massacred for the sake of their founder, I'm sure there is some sort of reason other than "Well she leads us and if she dies we'll decline in power." Well, maybe not for all of them, but I'd like to think for some of them.

Keleth

Here Class, because you did nothing for the last 2 months we have a make up test for you.

*blinks the class's reaction*

Goddamnit! No!

Put down the mascara and blush now!

TEST! Not makeup!
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Dracora on June 13, 2009, 10:53:26 AM
Well, we're assuming that this talk that Cyra has with Dan is uncommon for Cubi. But I thought most cubi have some sort of link with their founder.
Most 'Cubi simply don't have a founder.

EDIT:
Quote from: Dracora on June 13, 2009, 10:53:26 AM
Abel was an exception because his clan founder was dead when he came into power.
That I think is the part you've got backwards - Abel was an exception because his dad was a bastard (or to be more sympathetic, driven insane with grief) but coming in to power after the demise of his clan's founder is pretty normal.
The 'Cubi race is about 100'000 years old, and in that time there have been less than 200 Tri-Winged founders, ever.  Of these, about 12 are still around and AFAIK at least one of those has lost their clan (clan founders can't reproduce).

Turnsky

Quote from: Drathorin on June 13, 2009, 10:55:03 AM
Here Class, because you did nothing for the last 2 months we have a make up test for you.

*blinks the class's reaction*

Goddamnit! No!

Put down the mascara and blush now!

TEST! Not makeup!

finally, somebody who THINKS.  >:3

look folks, the fact of the matter is, that Abel is holding two large shopping bags.
A) Makup is wasted on fur
B) There's no way in hell that would be cosmetics
C) "Make-up" could very well mean to make up for lost time, as in all that missed learning Dan had because Abel had been slacking off, events have made him realise his error.
D) a sleeved shirt would be far more practical.

of course expecting logic from you folks is like expecting the boils associated with smallpox to explode with rainbows.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 11:18:16 AM
look folks, the fact of the matter is, that Abel is holding two large shopping bags.

Xander begs to differ:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_41.php

EDIT:
Actually, you might want to read page 549 as well.

QuoteC) "Make-up" could very well mean to make up for lost time, as in all that missed learning Dan had because Abel had been slacking off, events have made him realise his error.
That's not the way he's phrased it, though.

QuoteD) a sleeved shirt would be far more practical.
That I grant.

Keleth

magical tatoo shop eh?

I should see about slapping on some mascara on my shoulder and see if tatoos overnight.
Help! I'm gay!

Fex

If Doom had a face it looked like Abel in the last panel

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on June 13, 2009, 11:40:56 AM
magical tatoo shop eh?

That's what the man said.  Now, since tattooing the way we know it obviously won't work when the skin is covered in fur, that's not strictly what his sister did.  But the fact remains that they have a way to create coloured marks on fur, and that's one possible approach to the problem Dan faces at the moment.

EDIT:
See also Fa'Lina's comment about Abel in 549.

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 11:34:25 AM
Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 11:18:16 AM

Xander begs to differ:  http://missmab.com/Comics/Abel_41.php

Tattoo =! Makeup
QuoteC) "Make-up" could very well mean to make up for lost time, as in all that missed learning Dan had because Abel had been slacking off, events have made him realise his error.
That's not the way he's phrased it, though.
Yet that's how i understood what it, funny that. Folks automatically assume "oh, DMFA Hilarity, let's assume that Abel's gonna paint Dan's shoulder marking so it blends in." And my mind processed other, logical trains of thought, i've had many a teacher tell me that it was time for a little make-up to students, and often it means that some degree of learning had been missed, and folks had to catch up.
Now, take into consideration that Fa'Lina sent Abel to lost lake for the purpose of teaching Dan the basics of being an incubus, and truth be told, he has been slacking off for the most part. Then with other recent events, such as Dan's proverbial "Big red bullseye" of a Clan marking appearing, and Fi leveling up, you get one annoyed, and perhaps panicked Abel, whom needs to make-up (there's that word again, gasp!) for lost time.

Keleth

C'mon Turn.

Let's not be logical here.

Everyone is too anxious to see some sort of inkling that Abel is Gay for Abel.

That and their minds can only process -one- train of thought.

That and so what if these guys have No experience with any of the magical words being spoke like what makeup is.
Because I bet most of the people here haven't touched, or seen it as they still have yet to enter the real world or see a woman with it on.

Edit:
What's in the box? Maybe study supplies like pens, papers, tape, books, reading material, spell lists, components.

No no, scratch that. That'd be practical to teach someone magic.
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 11:46:36 AM
Tattoo =! Makeup

I will say it again for your benefit:

"Since tattooing the way we know it obviously won't work when the skin is covered in fur, that's not strictly what his sister did.  But the fact remains that they have a way to create coloured marks on fur."

See also page 549.

QuoteYet that's how i understood what it, funny that. Folks automatically assume "oh, DMFA Hilarity, let's assume that Abel's gonna paint Dan's shoulder marking so it blends in." And my mind processed other, logical trains of thought, i've had many a teacher tell me that it was time for a little make-up to students, and often it means that some degree of learning had been missed, and folks had to catch up.
One of my problems is that for any given phrase I will usually see about three different interpretations and usually pick the wrong one.  But that's my problem.

What you have said is indeed a possible interpretation, but to be honest, it fails the simplicity test.  Let's assume your interpretation is correct - what special 'Cubi skill is Abel going to teach Dan?  It says in the Demonology that a 'Cubi cannot change their own marking magically, so that pretty much leaves mundane means unless I'm missing something big.

QuoteNow, take into consideration that Fa'Lina sent Abel to lost lake for the purpose of teaching Dan the basics of being an incubus, and truth be told, he has been slacking off for the most part. Then with other recent events, such as Dan's proverbial "Big red bullseye" of a Clan marking appearing, and Fi leveling up, you get one annoyed, and perhaps panicked Abel, whom needs to make-up (there's that word again, gasp!) for lost time.

That may be.  But part of being an incubus may very well include 'how to cover that bulls-eye that is your clan mark'.

EDIT:
Oh and Drath - meditate on rule 2.

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf
What you have said is indeed a possible interpretation, but to be honest, it fails the simplicity test.  Let's assume your interpretation is correct - what special 'Cubi skill is Abel going to teach Dan?  It says in the Demonology that a 'Cubi cannot change their own marking magically, so that pretty much leaves mundane means unless I'm missing something big.

Who said -anything- that Abel was going to make Dan's mark -go- away.

That's not what Fa'lina sent him to do.

And if Dan can't learn anything special from cubi. .

Why the hell is there SAIA?!

Quote from: The Rules
Flame Wars are narrowly tolerated, as occasionally some things just need to be said. However, any topics that become flame wars will be moved to General Discussion. Furthermore, if flame wars become:

1. Too personal (admin's call);
   2. No longer about forum related actions or issues; or,
   3. Lame to read

I'm glad you agree with me on Rule 2.3

Let's stop making the lame to read assumptions now shall we?
Help! I'm gay!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Drathorin on June 13, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

Fa'Lina sent him to make sure Dan doesn't get himself killed until such time he is happy to join the academy of his own volition.  If Dan runs around in public with that symbol on his arm, he runs the risk of being killed.

Since he doesn't yet seem to be willing to hit the academy, it needs to be hidden, one way or another.

Keleth

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 12:06:06 PM
Quote from: Drathorin on June 13, 2009, 12:02:39 PM

Fa'Lina sent him to make sure Dan doesn't get himself killed until such time he is happy to join the academy of his own volition.  If Dan runs around in public with that symbol on his arm, he runs the risk of being killed.

Since he doesn't yet seem to be willing to hit the academy, it needs to be hidden, one way or another.

Dang, I thought Fa'lina meant it when she wanted Dan to learn how to do his own mind shields and things like that :<
Help! I'm gay!

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 11:57:49 AM
Tattoo =! Makeup

"Since tattooing the way we know it obviously won't work when the skin is covered in fur, that's not strictly what his sister did.  But the fact remains that they have a way to create coloured marks on fur."
See also page 549.
wow, and i thought the ISS travelled pretty far over heads. Simple fact being that literally, Tattoos ARE NOT Makeup. i could go on about the classical definition of what tattoos are vs makeup, but i'm pretty sure it'll fly over your head also, on the subject of page 549 that you're so willing to cite:
:shapeshifters
all i see is eyeliner, and lipstick... i doubt anybody would dunk themselves in white, speckled makeup.
How's about basic self defense? some magic? how to shapeshift, and a myriad of other fun cubi things?
and it was a fairly simple conclusion for me, Tape.

Naldru

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 13, 2009, 11:45:39 AM
But the fact remains that they have a way to create coloured marks on fur, and that's one possible approach to the problem Dan faces at the moment.
Hair dye?
Cubi can use shape shifting to change the color of individual strands of hair, but I believe that there was a previous statement that cubi can't use shape shifting to alter the clan mark.

Edit:

If you google "wakeup with makeup", you will see a number of places that offer what they call cosmetic tattoos.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Keleth

Shirts.

They are awesome, and since it's on Dan's shoulder he can even wear T-shirts.

The only problem is if he's gonna wander around wearing a wife beater, or no upper clothing at all
Help! I'm gay!

Darkmoon

Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 12:08:32 PM
Tattoo =! Makeup

See also page 549.
wow, and i thought the ISS travelled pretty far over heads. Simple fact being that literally, Tattoos ARE NOT Makeup. i could go on about the classical definition of what tattoos are vs makeup, but i'm pretty sure it'll fly over your head also, on the subject of page 549 that you're so willing to cite:
all i see is eyeliner, and lipstick... i doubt anybody would dunk themselves in white, speckled makeup.
How's about basic self defense? some magic? how to shapeshift, and a myriad of other fun cubi things?

Turnsky, you may want to watch your tone. You're stepping pretty close to the rule-breaking line, and while I'm not certain if you wanted to come across as that gruff, the way it reads makes you like like a bigger ass*ole than me.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

Turnsky

Quote from: Darkmoon Firelyte on June 13, 2009, 12:29:23 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on June 13, 2009, 12:08:32 PM
Tattoo =! Makeup

See also page 549.

Turnsky, you may want to watch your tone. You're stepping pretty close to the rule-breaking line, and while I'm not certain if you wanted to come across as that gruff, the way it reads makes you like like a bigger ass*ole than me.

apologies, i didn't mean it to come across as confrontational, more like calm debate, but i digress.

edit: I could palm it off with an excuse that i've had a real taxing week, but everybody has bad weeks, it shouldn't affect my attitude online at all, but this week, apparently, has somehow. To that i'd like to apologise, i'm usually more relaxed online.

Slowtini

Maaaaaaaakeover!~~~~~

Dan's going to be FA-BU-LOUS!

Lucheek

WAAARGH.

When I read the "wakeup with some makeup" I heard it in the deep, booming voice from that "Chop-Suey" song, along with Abel's face...

WAARGH.

(And a question on hiding Clan-Marks, couldn't Dan just shape-shift his entire body blue so the mark would still be there, but "invisibile"?)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Lucheek on June 13, 2009, 01:18:30 PM
(And a question on hiding Clan-Marks, couldn't Dan just shape-shift his entire body blue so the mark would still be there, but "invisibile"?)
It's been suggested before, but we're none the wiser as to whether it would fly.  If the mark glowed or something it would make that plan impractical, but I seem to recall Amber nixed that idea (that it would glow) so in principle it should work.