Amber for Anthrocon Auction: (Ends June 14th)

Started by Amber Williams, June 06, 2009, 03:24:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadesFox

One of these days Amber will stop underestimating how much cash her fans will put down for stuff :3

Until then, fate will continue to conspire against me going it seems.  Though given the sailor buba talk this might be a good thing.
The All Purpose Fox

Netrogo

Agreed Shades. I'm still waiting for the day she goes the plushie route. A Pip or Fi plushie would be freaking epic, and I'd be one of the first in line.

On a side note, there are alot of places online that do custom plush toys Amber... Hint hint... nudge nudge...

*flees*
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Tapewolf

When precisely is the cutoff for the auction?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Amber Williams

I am thinking Saturday evening, 12AM Eastern Standard.

I try to keep it from being too precise mainly because since I am not automated, having a last minute surge often causes more problems than benefits.

I usually figure on the last day within the last 12 hours, if anyone was going to push for a last minute huzzah, they would have by now and wouldnt wait until the last 10 minutes.

*edit note: AM! AM!  Wow I am a dink-face*

Faerie Alex

I see this facilitated by suggesting two different times 12 hours apart. Is that 12PM noon on Saturday, or 12AM, which would be 12 hours later? :3

Coming from eBay, bidding in the last, like, minute was often the best way to win something. I don't know about everyone else, but I still have a bit of a "later is better" kind of mentality from that. Mind, if I do place a bid for one of the arcs, I wouldn't cut it that close to the deadline, but I'd probably hold off until well within 12 hours of the end. :/
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Netrogo

Yeah but last minute bidding works on ebay because you don't end up paying necessarily what you're highest bid was. If someone gives Amber a bid of $1000 she's not going to write down $550 and then promise to increase that persons bid if anyone out bids them.
Once upon a time I actually posted here.

Faerie Alex

True, but the counter-argument would be that that would only work if all the bid amounts were anonymous. Someone could, to use your example, send in a bid of $550, be outbid, then bid something higher, up to whatever they're willing to go to. Not that I would begrudge Amber of monies, but as a bidder, it would make sense to not show one's full hand unless one is forced to, know what I mean?
Jeez I need to update this thing.

Janus Whitefurr

Am I a horrible person for looking at this thread and the only thing I can think of to say is "...isn't it 'arc' and not 'arch'?" English Lit studies have ruined my ability to just read~
This post has been brought to you by Bond. Janus Bond. And the Agency™. And possibly spy cameras.

llearch n'n'daCorna

*cough* You're not alone, Janus. I'm just more polite.

... I mean, I was. Er. Oh, shit.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Rafe

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 10, 2009, 03:01:12 PM
I am thinking Saturday evening, 12PM Eastern Standard.

Eastern Standard Time is one hour behind of Eastern Daylight savings Time. 

Also, 12PM normally means 12 noon. 

Assuming you're using the standard for Ontario, 12PM EST would mean 1PM local time on Saturday afternoon.  Do you mean this, or do you mean 12 midnight (Eastern Daylight) on Saturday night / Sunday Morning?

Always here to cause you annoying problems,

Rafe
Rafe

Naldru

Depending on the location 12 pm can mean midnight at the start of the day, noon, or midnight at the end of the day.  That's why the military uses the 24 hour clock.

Edit:

To see how the times go through the different time zones try http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/display-clocks/simpletime
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Sofox

Attic Rat

Quote from: Naldru on June 11, 2009, 08:01:17 PM
Depending on the location 12 pm can mean midnight at the start of the day, noon, or midnight at the end of the day.  That's why the military uses the 24 hour clock.

Edit:

To see how the times go through the different time zones try http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/time/display-clocks/simpletime

But - how do you know whether it's really 2400 hours or 0000 hours???!!
12 pm standard time has always been noon everywhere I've been, but there are a lot of places I haven't been.
During Daylight saving time, noon happens at 11:00 am, but we all pretend otherwise.
There is no law requiring any of this to make sense. :erk
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Gornemant

*ponders* ... reminds me that I have an old DMFA arc lying around somewhere...
Amber, I have a little idea for a deal if you're interested  :U

Rafe

Quote from: Naldru on June 11, 2009, 08:01:17 PM
Depending on the location 12 pm can mean midnight at the start of the day, noon, or midnight at the end of the day.  

Say it's Saturday night at 11:59 PM.  One minute later, it's midnight, which is usually called 12 AM Sunday morning. One minute later it's 12:01 AM Sunday Morning.   It would be kind of stupid to go from 11:59 PM to 12:00 PM and then to 12:01 AM.  Once you are at 12 Midnight (or at least 12:00 and a fraction of a second), it's morning, so it's AM.  To clear things up:

Eastern Daylight, Amber's local time, is 4 hours behind GMT.

When it's midnight Saturday night / Sunday morning, it's Sunday 0400 GMT/UTC.
Everyone else can figure out what their time is from that.

For example, all you folks in the UK will have to be up at 4:00 AM GMT to see what's going on.

Don't blame Amber for this.  She grew up in Indiana, which always used to stay on Eastern Standard time all year, and never had to worry about changing to daylight savings time (well, except for a few counties around Chicago and Louisville).  
Rafe

Sofox

Rafe, during the Balade webcast, I determined that Amber was 6 hours behind GMT, however this clock which is meant to show Eastern Standard time, is 5 hours before my current time [it shows 2pm, right here it's 7pm). This means that Tape's going to have to be ready at 5AM (or 6AM) Sunday morning (ugh) to stave off any last minute bidders (yes, I was wrong on my initial estimate, I thought Amber meant Saturday Noon, not the midnight between Saturday and Sunday).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sofox on June 13, 2009, 02:02:16 PM
Rafe, during the Balade webcast, I determined that Amber was 6 hours behind GMT, meaning Tape's going to have to be ready at 6AM Sunday morning (ugh) to stave off any last minute bidders (yes, I was wrong on my initial estimate, I thought Amber meant Saturday Noon, not the midnight between Saturday and Sunday).

Alas, I'm going to have to bow out at this point.  I wish the winner luck.

Sofox

Wow, really? Oh okay, well best of luck! (and you happened to quote me just before I corrected my estimate).

Tapewolf

Quote from: Sofox on June 13, 2009, 02:07:18 PM
Wow, really? Oh okay, well best of luck! (and you happened to quote me just before I corrected my estimate).

Exchange rate not so good.  Ask again later  :P

Tiger_T

Why not just say it in a 24:00 h system. No need for AM/PM. Sheesh.

Or even better: Have a countdown estimate. like: At the time of my post, the bid ends in ~ x hours , y min.+

+substitute x and y with appropriate numbers.
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Sofox

Amber should definitely use Swatch Beats. No time zones, no confusion.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Mostly, because that requires Amber to think hard. And Amber isn't so good at that - she's much better at drawing.

Quite frankly, I'd rather we all concentrated on letting her draw...

Sofox

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on June 13, 2009, 03:58:48 PM
Quite frankly, I'd rather we all concentrated on letting her draw...

Quoted for truth.

Rafe

Quote from: Amber Williams on June 06, 2009, 03:24:45 PM
THE AUCTION HAS ENDED:
Thank you to everyone who has bid. I'll be sending out emails to the peeps who won.

As for everyone else, looks like I will be heading to Anthrocon after all. :3

Final Standings:
Return of Dark Pegasus Arch:   $800 (JMS)
Perfect Date Arch:  $350 (Constance)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 10:55:03 PM by Amber Williams »

Apparently, as I figured, Amber is on Eastern Daylight Time.  

Also, As Sofox figured "Forum Time" is an hour behind EDT (well, an hour and twelve minutes to be exact), at GMT - 5 hours
Rafe

llearch n'n'daCorna

That would be his desktop doing the extra 12 minutes.

From where I sit, the forum is within a minute or two of the correct time - give or take Daylight Savings, of course.

Sofox

Rafe:
Quote from: Amber Williams on June 06, 2009, 03:24:45 PM
THE AUCTION HAS ENDED:
Thank you to everyone who has bid. I'll be sending out emails to the peeps who won.

As for everyone else, looks like I will be heading to Anthrocon after all. :3

Final Standings:
THE AUCTION HAS ENDED:

As for everyone else, looks like I will be heading to Anthrocon after all. neko 2

Final Standings:
« Last Edit: Today at 04:55:03 AM by Amber Williams »  

Forum time is in whatever time zone you select when you first register. I naturally chose GMT.
EDIT: For instance, I'm adding this edit around 23:41, or 11:41pm, and the Last Edited time displayed for me below is: "« Last Edit: Today at 11:42:44 PM by Sofox » " (of course, I had to edit it again to paste that in, but you get the picture, only off by about 30 seconds).

llearch n'n'daCorna

... except that the Edit Time of a post is set in the forum DB in timestamp format - ie, a string of numbers counting the number of seconds since Jan 1, 1970, GMT. Or UTC, which is almost, but not quite, precisely the same thing.

Which means that everyone sees the last edit tag in their local time. Which is adjustable. Mine is currently British Summer Time, which is GMT +1... and I see the same times as Sofox, which says to me he's not on GMT at present... ;-]