25/04/09 [PF #61] - "For my next trick…"

Started by Jairus, April 25, 2009, 01:38:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jairus

Alternative titles for this thread: "To be hung by the neck until dead...", "Run away! Run away! Run away!", and "Guards! Guards!" Heheheh. Nice moves, Dork-boy. Very... well, very theatrical. Though, his wings look a bit funky in that last panel there.

Henri Ducard/Ra's Al-Ghul: "You took my advice about theatricality a bit... literally."
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ren Gaulen

The guards were scared so much they forgot they had guns. Then again, if they tried to use them, they would have gotten scared even more. >:]

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on April 25, 2009, 01:38:10 PMThough, his wings look a bit funky in that last panel there.

Is that funky in a good way, or a bad way?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 25, 2009, 01:41:44 PM
Quote from: Jairus on April 25, 2009, 01:38:10 PMThough, his wings look a bit funky in that last panel there.

Is that funky in a good way, or a bad way?
Funky in the way that a quiet voice in my head is saying that "Wings don't look like that." I'm not an anatomist, but it just... looks weird. Or maybe it's because I don't see the characters with spread wings that often.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on April 25, 2009, 01:45:28 PM
Funky in the way that a quiet voice in my head is saying that "Wings don't look like that."
It's different, yes.  Certainly I don't think you'd see a bird do that.  A dragon, though... you'd have to find me one first.

Dem

AmigaDragon

Comparing to bat wings, the main problem I see would be where the one rib is connected to the "elbow" instead of the "hand" joint. But then shape shifters would be able to fake any anatomy they want, not limited to real anatomy.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on April 25, 2009, 04:36:21 PM
Comparing to bat wings, the main problem I see would be where the one rib is connected to the "elbow" instead of the "hand" joint. But then shape shifters would be able to fake any anatomy they want, not limited to real anatomy.

I don't think Demon wings do either.

http://missmab.com/Comics/Vol_987.php

...granted what Ren drew doesn't really map to that anyway.  What I might try is extending the length of the outer 'finger' on each so they don't look as short.

Pagan

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 25, 2009, 01:40:12 PM
The guards were scared so much they forgot they had guns. Then again, if they tried to use them, they would have gotten scared even more. >:]

They have guns? <goes and checks> Holy crap, they have guns! They have pistols and they still hang people?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Lisky

well, the whole thing with the wings is 'bone structure' as in, what's the frame made of, and how is it designed... if you look at the wings on something like a bird or a bat, it resembles that of a hand, only with flaps of skin between each segment... the corner of the wing is where the fingers branch off from... now, that's from an anatomy stand point... stylized wings or fantasy wings can have a completely different under-structure, which changes the overall visual appearance of the wings...

that being said... i think the design of dorcan's wings appear to be a double-jointed style wing, with supports, or 'fingers' branching from both the 'elbows' and 'hands' of the wings

i don't really mind the stylized look, but maybe that's just me... either way, awesome work guys...

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 25, 2009, 09:34:29 PM
They have guns? <goes and checks> Holy crap, they have guns! They have pistols and they still hang people?

You sound surprised.  Most countries in Europe which used to practice the death penalty standardised on a particular way of doing so (sometimes beheading, usually hanging - in larger countries like France or Germany this may have varied from province to province).

This particular means usually became the only legally sanctioned means of formally executing criminals, and so until the European human rights legislation abolished the death penalty, hanging etc. persisted long after firearms and other technologies became available.

JackTheCubiWolf

Ha. He just stands up and thanks every one for being there. Very good comic.
I'm back, and tired.

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on April 26, 2009, 07:12:46 AM
You sound surprised.  Most countries in Europe which used to practice the death penalty standardised on a particular way of doing so (sometimes beheading, usually hanging - in larger countries like France or Germany this may have varied from province to province).

This particular means usually became the only legally sanctioned means of formally executing criminals, and so until the European human rights legislation abolished the death penalty, hanging etc. persisted long after firearms and other technologies became available.

Is that so? I did not know this. Hmmm... How many European nations have outlawed the death penalty?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 26, 2009, 10:43:59 AM
Is that so? I did not know this. Hmmm... How many European nations have outlawed the death penalty?

Everyone who's ratified the European Convention on Human Rights, I think you'll find (Protocol 6).

See also:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capital_punishment_in_Europe
I think it's a prerequisite to being part of the EU.

Pagan

Tapewolf

Quote from: Pagan on April 26, 2009, 11:09:59 AM
So mostly everyone then. Ah.

In practice the police are sometimes armed and in extreme circumstances may fire.  As a rule this is very rare and there tends to be an inquiry afterwards when this happens.
Doubly so when they f___ up and kill the wrong person.

inuhanyo

This is so not the way to advance Creature-Being relations.

Now they are going to call in Adventurers.

You bet dad's going to be p***** off!

By the way, activists in Europe are working on getting life sentences banned.

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on April 26, 2009, 03:30:57 PM
This is so not the way to advance Creature-Being relations.
Now they are going to call in Adventurers.

Well, they have to find him first. 

At the end of the day, all Dorcan has done is dispose of the mayor and scared the crap out of a bunch of people.  That ain't nice, but it's fairly run-of-the-mill for DMFA.
While Jakob isn't pleased, the whole thing is so outrageous that it's written off by everyone outside that town as a "Virgin Mary's Face Found In Cupcake" story, particularly when they check Dorcan's grave and find he's still dead.

Zedd