03/30/09 [DMFA #989] - Healing the Uncle

Started by Hellcat, March 30, 2009, 01:58:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: jeffh4 on March 30, 2009, 09:17:21 AM
Well, your the one voicing DP in the radio show, so you've just set yourself a ridiculously high standard.  Start practicing!  :)

Actually it puts me in a bit of a quandry as to whether he should sound like he's fine and then suddenly goes "whump" or whether there should be any indication in the delivery that he's actually quite badly injured.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 30, 2009, 09:20:43 AM
Well, your the one voicing DP in the radio show, so you've just set yourself a ridiculously high standard.  Start practicing!  :)

Actually it puts me in a bit of a quandry as to whether he should sound like he's fine and then suddenly goes "whump" or whether there should be any indication in the delivery that he's actually quite badly injured.
I doubt DP would show signs of being weakened in front of his enemy.. or in front of anybody, for that matter, so I doubt there should be any indication that he is injured or something in his voice.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Maybe he's playing dead so he doesn't have to listen to Regina blather :P
He only "fainted" after she started talking
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... I'm inclined to suggest a small tremor. Something subtle.

After all, it's not like Regina noticed it. More to the point, Kria didn't notice it either. Or, at least, not to mention it.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

Quote from: Tsunari on March 30, 2009, 01:59:10 AM
Seems that Regina would be hard to understand in normal conversations.  Wonder if she is aware of punctuation.

Perhaps she is speaking in ancient Greek.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Corgatha Taldorthar

If that were the case, she'd be speaking in caps.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

terrycloth

It looks like he might have used some sort of device to do the teleport? That thing over his head? So he might have been 'out of mana' and still teleported using an escape thingie built into the house itself.

Lowde

I'm sure everybody, be it creatures or beings, that has learned at least the basic in magic know healing spells.

As for demons having healing spells I understand it sounds weird, but don't forget that even if they have a tendency to dark magic, we've seen demons using elemental magic as well... Besides we're not even sure that the healing is actually light magic, it could be anything

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 30, 2009, 09:20:43 AM

Sonorous tones (he has his pride, after all) but more stops for breathing, maybe two or three breaths at a time instead of just one. 

With regards,
Ted

tiggertoo

Seems Dan got in rather more significant damage than DBF was allowing to show (though his screaming was a good indicator of more than minor wounds). However, I think his current state comes from inflicted damage plus energy expended in battle plus very low post-resurrection energy levels. He's a really good bluffer though.

Regina still has *no* grasp of any objective reality or sense of proportion -- though it's promising that she's actually worried about Kria, for a few seconds anyway. A very good comic to break with until Friday.

iownpants

I'd like to think this means that Danny boy hasn't lost his adventuring touch since the last time he fought Uncle Aliph.  Personally I think if he'd been a little less out of it from encountering his two arch enemies totally unexpected and getting smacked in the face Aliph would have passed out earlier.
Though I'm less worried about who can beat up who then I am about the wacky hijinks that will ensue now that Lorenda has a 'boyfriend'. >:3

Alondro

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on March 30, 2009, 01:25:01 PM
If that were the case, she'd be speaking in caps.

Maybe she's speaking in ancient Greek, but isn't very fluent.   :P
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Kenway975

Quote from: Tsunari on March 30, 2009, 01:59:10 AM
Seems that Regina would be hard to understand in normal conversations.  Wonder if she is aware of punctuation.

Actually, she is aware of punctuation- I counted three periods, two question marks, and one apostrophe (if I remember the name correctly). No, her problem is talking at (to slightly quote a movie) "ludicrous speed". It also seems like she would be a perfect candidate for a corset, due to her "apparent" lack of needing to take a breath while talking.

N-Cat

I just archive dived.  The shots in this comic so far don't look anything like shots of the two castles shown... but maybe this is a different part of it?
I'm inclined to think it's one of the other two places Dark Pegasus has holed up.

Hanii Puppy

Was checking to see if there was a new comic (I do it every do for all of the 40+ comics I read) and, call me dirty minded, but I noticed that the hands of the little guy on regina's shirt were in an odd place :x

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Hanii Puppy on March 31, 2009, 11:40:17 AM
Was checking to see if there was a new comic (I do it every do for all of the 40+ comics I read) and, call me dirty minded, but I noticed that the hands of the little guy on regina's shirt were in an odd place :x

Yes, that was noticed, commented upon, and gargled over ad nauseum a couple of weeks ago when it first appeared.

And it's a girl. Foxy Tangerine.

JackTheCubiWolf

I know this is off the topic but, I got two friends from school to check out the comic a few weeks ago and they told me that the got viruses afterwards. I didn't get one but, I think that's because I use my Wii to go online. I was wondering if anyone else got a virus after checking the comic. (And I'm not blaming Amber)
I'm back, and tired.

icarus

not i. and i run a pretty tight ship.

i'm more willing to bet your friends had a virus on their computer from before, lying dormant, and just happened to kick in after viewing the comic.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

Rakala

That may have been on purpose, after all Regina seems like the type to buy clothes from Hot Topic and/or Spencer's Gifts, both of which have similar clothes.... or so I'm told.
And no, no virus.

Starcat5

Can't help you, Jack. My PC is so full of virii that it's basicly undead, held together by voodoo magic. :zombiekun2
Conservative Democrat or Liberal Republican: You decide!
The Centrist line has moved a long way to the Right over the years.

I'd argue that's a horribly shallow argument, except it's completely true. ~ooklah

JackTheCubiWolf

Speaking of undead did you here about that computer thing being sent out at midnight?
I'm back, and tired.

Naldru

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on March 31, 2009, 03:27:23 PM
Speaking of undead did you hear about that computer thing being sent out at midnight?

I believe that you are talking about Conflicker.  It has been busy infecting machines for the past several months.  However, it is apparently programmed to become active at midnight and await instructions.  Nobody is quite sure what those instructions will be.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: JackTheCubiFerret on March 31, 2009, 03:16:55 PM
I know this is off the topic but, I got two friends from school to check out the comic a few weeks ago and they told me that the got viruses afterwards. I didn't get one but, I think that's because I use my Wii to go online. I was wondering if anyone else got a virus after checking the comic. (And I'm not blaming Amber)

I don't think Amber is likely to have any viruses. It's possible, of course, but Xepher runs a pretty tight ship, and you need to have some more complex code on your sight than what they actually have, for it to show up. Heck, you can turn off all javascript on Amber's site and the only bit that breaks is the link to Xepher's adverts, and not even all of those.

And since the server isn't running windows, it's kinda hard to get an ActiveX component on there to infect from.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 31, 2009, 11:47:30 AM

Yes, that was noticed, commented upon, and gargled over ad nauseum a couple of weeks ago when it first appeared.

And it's a girl. Foxy Tangerine.

I can't see that much detail, on my monitor it's too dark unless I increase the gamma in PSP7 or Gimp.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

icarus

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on March 31, 2009, 07:30:21 PM
I don't think Amber is likely to have any viruses. It's possible, of course, but Xepher runs a pretty tight ship, and you need to have some more complex code on your sight than what they actually have, for it to show up. Heck, you can turn off all javascript on Amber's site and the only bit that breaks is the link to Xepher's adverts, and not even all of those.

And since the server isn't running windows, it's kinda hard to get an ActiveX component on there to infect from.

translating for the computer illiterate...

if we were to think of a virus like an actual sickly virus and our personal computers like human beings, what you're describing is like catching the flu from a goldfish. goldfish can't carry the flu, let alone transmit it to us!

websites are little animals wandering the internet. yes sometimes they get sick and sometimes they die, but very very few can transmit diseases to the humans (our computers). those that can are usually larger and more complex in nature.

kellyn: it's like being a secret agent, outside we look perfectly normal. no giant metal faces or tattooed eyes or mohawks. BUT. SECRETLY. DRAWING RAINBOW MONSTERS AND ROOOOLE PLAAAAAYING oh the shame oh the humanity, and man i know so many more cool people now wtf is that

AmigaDragon

Some animals can be carriers and never be sick from the disease.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

icarus

exactly. so SOME websites *can* give a virus...

but certainly not DMFA or xepher!

N-Cat

No virus here...
Hanii Puppy is right, though.  Out of all the panels showing Regina, this one (the middle one) is the only one blatant enough for me to notice the hands.  Well, also the last panels of 973, 972, 970, 967.

Naldru

I have seen two main paths for attacks on the users of web servers.

The first is to attack the server itself through some sort of worm or other mechanism.  In this case, the attacker would take partial or complete control of the server and use it to attack others.  In some cases, control of the server by an attacker without it being apparent to the system administrators or users.  To deal with this, we rely on those knights (system administrators) in shining armor, basically Xepher and associates.  (This technique would also include volunteering or getting hired by those running the server and using the opportunity to place malicious code on the server.)

The other channel is to get the system administrator to place content on the web server that will execute malicious code on the user's systems.  One way that this has been done in the past was by purchasing ads on the site and placing the malicious content in the ad.  Since I don't see third party ads on the site, this would not appear to be a viable attack.  Theoretically, submitted art work could contain malicious code, but this would not appear to be a practical attack.

The one viable attack that I can see would be to implant malicious code in the avatars on the forum or linked files that appear on the page.  For example, I remember one forumite having a Quicktime file as his avatar.  Quicktime files are viable attack routes, especially for Windows clients.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.