I am a technological black hole!

Started by Amber Williams, February 22, 2009, 05:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuaveIV

Has NO ONE ever heard of Lee's or El Pollo Loco?

Sheesh, good chicken is such a rarity nowadays...

Attic Rat

Quote from: Tiger_T on February 25, 2009, 01:54:42 PM
Quote from: Attic Rat on February 24, 2009, 10:37:36 PM

It's all part of my plan to Take Over The World.
Egad!

Say Brain, what are we going to do tonight? :tongue

@ Amber:
Have you tried waving a dead chicken over your mouse yet? :rolleyes

PS: Sorry to hear of your troubles. Good luck with solving the problem. :3

Are you pondering what I'm pondering, Pinky?

My computer's chips are bipolar.
My keyboard's depressed.
I waved the dead chicken,
And I tried all the rest.

I sent it to be schooled,
in that very hour.
I stuffed it with steel wool,
and turned on the power.
:mwaha

Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Madd the Sane

Short of a system reinstall or moving to the Mac, I have no advice. :B  You could try booting from a Linux LiveCD and see if it's a hardware issue (I highly doubt it).
Get out of my mind, idea!  I already have an idea in here!
Don't you hate it when you have an idea, don't write it down, and forget it?

Turnsky

Quote from: Madd the Sane on February 26, 2009, 02:38:56 AM
Short of a system reinstall or moving to the Mac, I have no advice. :B  You could try booting from a Linux LiveCD and see if it's a hardware issue (I highly doubt it).

Mac would mean expense.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

kangaroo

I have had windows bork up mice b4. One was wireless and only acted up during high Processor loads, was fixed which the drivers, outer was a laptop which just randomly decided what part of the tuchpad was going to work when it wanted to, fixed by reinstalling windows reinstalling the drivers didn't work for whatever reason. Since everthing elce more or less has already bean tryed may wana try redoing the usb drivers on the system? Thogh as mentiond b4 It may be worth trying a live cd of some sort and just seeing if the problem persists in it. As for firefox have u tryed uninstalling it then deleting the firefox folder in C:\Documents and Settings\"your user name here"\Application Data\Mozilla  and then reinstall it? You may wanna backup your bookmarks b4 u do that though.

Tapewolf

If the rant on the comic (and what llearch is saying above) is anything to go by, technical advice is not especially welcome at the moment.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 05:42:14 AM
If the rant on the comic (and what llearch is saying above) is anything to go by, technical advice is not especially welcome at the moment.
"did you do this?"
"done it"
"did you try that?"
"tried it"
"what about this?"
"yep, tried that too"
</lather, rinse, repeat>

it's frustrating, truth be told.
Suggesting trying/purchasing entirely new Systems/OS's are about as helpful as an extra toe to Amber, especially the purchasing part.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on February 26, 2009, 05:56:18 AM
Suggesting trying/purchasing entirely new Systems/OS's are about as helpful as an extra toe to Amber, especially the purchasing part.

I dunno... if he's willing to send her a shiny new mac, I doubt she'd say no.

**EDIT**
Actually, the Mac can't do the Lovecraft's Diary font she uses for runes and other languages so it might not be as cut-and-dried as that.

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:08:14 AM
Actually, the Mac can't do the Lovecraft's Diary font she uses for runes and other languages so it might not be as cut-and-dried as that.
Really? Dang. And I was kinda hoping to find that font some day. Oh well, someone will eventually create one for a Mac to use. I'm not giving up my MacBook for a font, though. *hugs macbook*
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 11:22:33 AM
Really? Dang. And I was kinda hoping to find that font some day. Oh well, someone will eventually create one for a Mac to use. I'm not giving up my MacBook for a font, though. *hugs macbook*

The Lovecraft font has a structural error in it which Windows ignores but the Mac barfs over.  In PF I did this by rendering the text in GIMP (which uses the X11 font engine) and incorporating it in the background instead of as part of the dialogue.

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 05:42:14 AM

Not even if it involves explosives?   :mowhappy

Nip Todd and Norman Gates, Computer Service our specialty.

With regards,
Ted

Hanii Puppy

argh, nevermind, sorry. I read through the topic, but upon reading another topic I found my post to be obsolete.

Tiger_T

Hmm. In her rant she didn't mention altering the mouse button properties, and I don't know how these settings would have changed by itself, or if trying to change them would help any - but there you have it. One more (useless?) suggestion. :rolleyes

If it's just the mouse buttons...
Would 'keyboard-mouse-button-pressing' be a practical workaround for the time being?
e.g.: Activating the keyboard mouse (on the numeric keypad), then only using the regular mouse to move the cursor - and using the numeric keypad for the button-pressing part.
([5] = click / [+] = doubleclick / [-] + [5] = rightclick* / [Ins] = holding down the mousebutton / [Del] = releasing the mousebutton)
*press [÷] to switch back to normal 'click' after a 'rightclick'

*shrugs*
Hey, I'm just adding to the colorful collection in this thread.
Please ignore me if you tried this already or don't want to. :3
Tigriel's got a guest:

A Furry fan, that's what I am! - Proud member of the AP-Team. - Avatar Art by INK

Naldru

Just be glad her mouse has moved from FUBAR to SNAFU.  At this point, I think that any suggestions, no matter how well intentioned, would result in further aggravation for Amber.  Further aggravation for Amber might delay our reading her wonderful series, and would thus risk antagonizing her horde of fanatical followers.

I might also add that a statement that I am about to try fixing the computer causes my wife and daughter to flee from the house in panic.  Trying to fix problems in a media such as this is even more annoying and exasperating.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

rt

I've gotta hand it to Amber, wearing out two mice is an accomplishment. I've managed to wear out one mouse button, and that took many many many years. I'm not sure if Ive burnt out a laser diode too, more likely the mouse took one too many bungie coard jumps off the computer table.

So mmm congradulations ?

AmigaDragon

She didn't say she wore them out, her OS had a stroke or something. What do you expect from Windows?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ted Schiller

Quote from: Jairus on February 23, 2009, 02:18:14 AM
Quote from: Ted Schiller on February 23, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Dire Mouse (he's amazing. he's fantastic.) has saved Regina.  Yay, Dire Mouse.   :mwaha

With regards,
Ted
All he has done is prolong the inevitable. Regina's fate approaches still...
Concerning Edit Note 9:17PM on a Friday Evening:
Now the whole house is fighting back.  Regina will be saved.  ;)

With regards,
Ted

Turnsky

Quote from: Ted Schiller on March 20, 2009, 10:06:11 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 23, 2009, 02:18:14 AM
Quote from: Ted Schiller on February 23, 2009, 01:14:32 AM
Dire Mouse (he's amazing. he's fantastic.) has saved Regina.  Yay, Dire Mouse.   :mwaha

With regards,
Ted
All he has done is prolong the inevitable. Regina's fate approaches still...
Concerning Edit Note 9:17PM on a Friday Evening:
Now the whole house is fighting back.  Regina will be saved.  ;)

With regards,
Ted

please keep an eye on the last post, generally posting in a thread that hasn't seen activity for nearly a month or more is frowned upon.
you coulda just posted in the relevant DMFA comic topic, y'know.

Attic Rat

Well, drat and feldercarb!
I put several seconds worth of idle effort into my little poem, and nobody liked it!
Worse yet, nobody vomited.

Ah, well...
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on March 20, 2009, 10:23:00 PM

That may be a bit harsh for an official smiley but I have seen a few people who need it at times.  (Sometimes even me)

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on March 21, 2009, 07:05:40 AM
That may be a bit harsh for an official smiley but I have seen a few people who need it at times.  (Sometimes even me)
I vote for it ~_^

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears