Brotherhood of the Machine (IC Thread) [PG/14] {03}

Started by Lisky, February 21, 2009, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Azlan

Morgan had been reviewing mission data, Brotherhood information and a tactical analysis.  He finally realized that they did not know much.

"Bloody hell, these Rebels are amateurs.  Not even one milliliter of tactical data, how do they survive?  I suppose we will just have to guess then.  Oi, where has everybody gone to...

During his tactical review, everyone had dispersed.  Morgan turned on his heels and headed for Dorcan, "oi, Dorcan.  Not a lot of information we have on goings on in the local area.  We do not have a location for the Brotherhood presence in the area, HQ does not know where the tower is.  We will not have to worry about air deployments or air support from them as the military keeps tight control over the airspace.  It is likely they will deploy by vehicle over one or even both of these main highways.  We will have to station a scout to watch both of these approaches.  Everyone else will have to hold this position, because without knowing where they are coming from, we can not have a forward line that leaves a flank exposed.  We need to keep our forces here concealed and attack with surprise.  I am pretty sure forces will escalate once we begin fighting back."
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Lisky

Darkshine noted that Morgan was wandering off.  He adjusted the strap on his rifle back to help balance the weight of his new toy while keeping his carbine's pistol grip only slightly out of his hand's current resting place by his hip.  He moved silently, and kept quiet while the others went about doing their thing.

He eased back against a low, rocky outcropping and said, "I dunno who else is playing scout... but we should coordinate our efforts now, and get into position, the longer warning we have the better."  He clicked his headset on, switched to the assigned channel.  After a buzz from Ranger, Darkshine waited impassively, showing none of the impatience he was feeling.  Thinking to himself 'forming strategy and talking tactics is one thing, but we're wasting time here, valuable time that could be used for setting up positions, protecting the vehicle, or a whole litany of other, more useful tasks... clearly we need to work on the efficiency here '

Without missing a beat, the feline moved into the back of one of the vans, and recovered some rope and camouflage netting.  Noting the distinct lack of movement, he then said, "Anyone idly waiting around can help get the vehicles covered, deploy sandbags and get this show on the road, we've got a couple of hours at most.  Time is a precious commodity that we can't afford to squander right now... so let's get moving."

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Dorcan smiled to himself.  Morgan seemed to have assumed a position of leadership, which was probably to the best - not only was he better qualified for it but otherwise there was a risk of Dorcan getting the post instead.  While the Doberman was comfortable enough with the idea of leading a stealth strike or reconnaissance team, defending a location was a different kettle of fish and not one he had much experience with.

"I guess that's good news about the air cover," he said.  "Just a thought - what have we got in the way of explosives?  Could we destroy or cripple their vehicles as they approach?"

He nodded towards Darkshine.  "I'm easy.  If anyone has a particular role for me, let me know what.  I can do sniper duty, setup or hang back inside the complex with the archaeologists."  He paused.

"We probably want Exo as our last line of defence, really - if it comes to a point where the Brothers are taking pot-shots at the good Doctor, his armour would be good for shielding them.

"Any comments?"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Corgatha Taldorthar

Fetrethar followed Dorcan along, heard his tactical analysis. When prompted for thoughts, he grated out.

"We don't have a lot of mass, firepower. Our advantages are stealth and precision. If we have a fight here at the dig, there's very little we can do to stop the Brotherhood from calling up more force, enough to bury us whatever defensive preparations we make. Then, there is the problem that they might not go rushing in, howling to be shot by our embankments. What if they just dig in at the escape routes and wait for us to get hungry? We don't know what the Brothers are thinking, but if their scout reported some old men with a half operative machine gun, then they probably won't be sending the whole nine yards to apprehend them, probably just a few redarms, or whatever you call the men set to catch thieves and oathbreakers. if we take them out en route, somewhere far from this mountain, and perhaps cover it up by then striking somewhere nearby, making it seem like those men were in the wrong place at the wrong time, we could buy some time, avoid serious detection a bit longer."

He crouched on his heels, waiting for a response, although from what he gathered from the group dynamics, a response was probably just going to be an indignant snort and ignorage.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Azlan

"We are going to have to fight using... dynamic tactics.  That is to say, rapidly adaptable.  Dark and myself will scout at each of the likely approaches for Brotherhood activity, once spotted we will have to determine our course of action in handling it from that point.  I want this site fortified as best as you can stat.  However, be ready to move and engage or grab everyone and run."

Morgan grabbed his gear and slung his heavy rifle, "Let us go Darkshine.  Dorcan, we will be on the comms, I need you to handle things here.  Be ready for anything, we may only have a very short time to prepare."

With a nod he dashed off to his position, checking comms.  Keep me up to date on the doctor's progress.  I hope you have good binocular vision in that thing Darkshine.

Lisky

Darkshine clicked his own headset, and replied, i can also record and send images and stream video if you'd like...

He made his way along the sparse and rocky terrain, picking out paths that led up, yet had firm purchase under the feline's boots.  He wanders his way to spot with a clear view of the major highway, a little ways down, he deploys in a prone position while setting up the "cannon".  The bi-pod is deployed, and Darkshine sets a small sandbag up under his elbow to create a perfect stance with the weapon.  While his long shooting was usually done at 1000 yards or less, he knew how to take longer shots.  He began scanning the terrain, noting the brush, oddly colored stones, and anything else that, were it to move, he could call an alert.  Once things were noted, he chambered the weapon with a barely audible *click* and double checked the safety to make sure it was on.

Taking extra time to digitally photograph the terrain, Darkshine then took the camouflaged netting and, using some brush and rocks, made his outcropping look like part of the terrain from a few steps away.  Detecting it from a considerable distance would be hard until the rifle roared... in which case... someone would have a fun time tracking the echo.

Clicking his comms again, Darkshine said In position, concealed and both the feed and my weapon are hot, i'll keep you updated as often as possible... but things look clear for the moment.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Fet looked somewhat sullen, and Dorcan took a guess at the reason.
"Never mind," he said, clapping the other on the shoulder.  "You prove yourself in this mission, I'm sure they'll look up to you a bit more.  Now, in the meantime, we need to get this place fortified.  Any ideas?
"I still think that we should try and set up some kind of explosive trap around the entrance.  I can't remember if we brought any ourselves, but there must at least be some kind of blasting material."

Sprocketsdance

Chance's expression softened a little as Fet explained his opinion. He must have been in a lot of battles.. She was brought back with Dorcan's words and her face went returned to its normal hard look.

"What about the plasma charges? I don't know what would happen if someone drove something over it.. but I'm sure it wouldn't be a good thing to shoot at one. If they do explode we could set a few up and shoot at them as targets move close enough." She shrugged. "Best idea I have other than pilfering the digger's supplies."

Azlan

Morgan found himself a convenient rocky outcrop at a sufficient height escarpment to watch the approach on his designated stretch of highway.  Keeping low, he deployed his "rifle", setting the bipod and sighting through the scope.  finally he loaded the magazine, preferring to start with the simple 300+ gr tungsten APFSDS rounds.  Primarily an anti-material rifle, capable of destroying parked aircraft, the weapon would be quite effective against armored and unarmored vehicles.

Like Darkshine, he prepped his area by laying out his camo netting and securing it with local rocks.

The Fox is in position, awaiting the rabbits to wander by.  Hold engagement until we can access targets.  Switch to secure comms and encrypt transmissions.

Using the enhanced optics built into his eyes, he zooms in on the highway, continually looking far, wide, and close in a scheduled pattern.  Processing the data through the CTC, he transmits it across the secure comms for anyone able to receive and see the feed.

Now we wait.

Corgatha Taldorthar

The meeting breaking up, Fetrethar decided to get busy. It was all well and good to set up a deathtrap, but they had to walk into it for the plan to work, and that wasn't likely if their presence was discovered.

He skulked over to where the vehicles were driven, and nodded approvingly at the camouflage nets already flung over their transport. They would be nearly impossible to spot unless someone was right on top of them, in which case they'd have spotted the encampment first. But the trail... Fetrethar broke into a round of tongue clicking at the sight of parallel tracks, trampled into the dirt and loose brush of the mountainside.

He spent some time, maybe two hours, kicking dirt and dragging a few bushes across the path, obscuring it for a fair distance. It still showed something leading to the mountain, but hopefully they wouldn't be observant enough to realize there was a heavy presence, and would conclude it was just the researchers or something.

He hadn't been given any particular instructions for a battle position, so he decided to entrench himself as a second line, far behind the pickets, and closer to the entrance to the dig site than any of the others he saw. He had that rifle, but he was still most familiar with his gauntlets and poison stinger, and both were weapons that needed to be up close to be effective, something more likely to happen in the close confines of an underground complex.

Opening up his backpack, he pulled out his armor, and donned the uncomfortable vest. More comfortable than taking a slug I guess. Wish the thing could hold out gas. But it's open air. Maybe that will be enough to discourage it. The scientists mentioned the ground was hard, too hard for them to dig with explosives, so he didn't bother with the shovel, instead settling for a promising site in a little crook in the mountain, with some scrub to cover him from most viewers coming from the bottom. He then flung his personal camo net over himself, tying it to some of the roots of the bushes and dropped to his belly in the rock. After a moment's pause for consideration, he sliced it in a few sections with his trophy knife, to allow for quick wriggling outside if the net needed to be abandoned in a hurry. They sure are rich. These guys have everything.

He spent a minute checking the unfamiliar rifle, and finding nothing out of order he could detect, put it in a cautious, two handed grip. Fumbling with his communication gear, he sent out his own message after setting it to encrypted.  "In position near the dig, ready to strike at targets."
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Dorcan stood just inside the entrance to the workings, checking and test-firing the laser rifle.  He had also gathered a small number of fragmentation grenades and flashbangs.  "Okay," he said over the comms.  "Unless anyone has a better idea, I'm going to take a position with the dig team.  If things look rough, let me know and I'll do my best to get them out of here.  Even if I have to stun them first."

Sprocketsdance

Chance watched everyone scatter and updated their position over the comms. She figured she might as well do the same.. even though she hadn't moved. Her voice was enough to let them know who she was. "I'm still here at point A." She reached behind and unhooked her plasma rifle, set it down beside her, and gave it a few pats. "Looks like things will start soon.." She muttered to herself quietly and looked down the road, waiting for the first sign of trouble.

Tapewolf

No-one seemed to object, so Dorcan made his way down to the dig itself.
"Okay, I'm in position," he sent over the comms.  "Morgan, Darkshine, do you copy?"
He'd seen enough bad horror films to be just a little paranoid in case something in the rock or the Ancient Magical Ruins was going to interfere with the comms.

While he waited, he glanced at the workings.  "How's it going there, guys?" he asked casually.

Azlan

Morgan is here, what is your sitrep Dorcan?

He shifted slightly to remove a rock that had dislodged itself and was poking into his side.  Always the observant redhead and less the fiery tempered type, he made note of the rather unusual lack of traffic through the area.  Probably because of all the burned out towns.

Too quiet... anything on your end Darkshine?

techmaster-glitch

Jexx, of course, was either focusing too much on lookout duty next to the machine gun, had found some remarkably facinating dirt, or really was that put-out that he was put on guard duty in the first place. Either way, he somehow completely missed out on Dorcan, Morgan, and Darkshine's scouting mission. He remained near the machine gun, looking out for any signs of Brotherhood.

Tapewolf

"Just checking the comms," Dorcan replied.  "Wanted to be quite sure they'd work in the ruins.  Not much to report this end.  Just asking the guys how the dig is progressing."

Lisky

Darkshine almost whispered into his headset, "Dorcan, got you loud and clear on my end.  Morgan, there's no movement besides a barely noticeable wind."

Ryudo Lee

An annoyed voice came out from the dig site.
"This is very delicate work, but we're working as fast as we can!"

The horizon was still, no birds, no dust, no nothing.  Like the calm before a storm.  After a few minutes though, a dust cloud appeared on the horizon.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Lisky

Darkshine locked his scope onto the plumes of dust in the distance, not only did they seem to be coming fast, but, instead of using somewhat stealth, and taking the roads, the Brotherhood seemed to be sending an expeditionary force off-roading for a quickest possible intercept before preparations could be made.  Centering his scope's cross-hairs on the center of the plume, Darkshine said into the comms, 'i've got contact, at least one bogey bearing approximately' a slight pause while checking his headset's compass, 'two one five degrees, make it estimate ten clicks and closing. ETA unknown, will update as data becomes more available, Darkshine out'

The spotted feline began a relaxing technique while tracking the source of the cloud as best he could, looking for vehicle silhouettes, multiple clouds, or anything that would be pertinent to the rest of the defense forces...  It struck him as odd that the brotherhood would come barreling ahead as they were, but, Darkshine knew better than to look a gift-horse in the mouth.

Azlan

Morgan focused his optics in the indicated direction and fed the data to his tactical computer.  At this range he could not determine force strength or composition, but it was quite obvious they were not worrying about stealth.

The tactical data showed the various bits of general data, from wind speed and direction to barometric pressure and elevation above 'sea level'.  The tactical forecasting module placed their estimated path between both Darkshine's and Morgan's positions using the same entrance into the area that they had.

Dark, here is the current estimation on tactical deployment.  We will have optimal firing at this location.  This red area is your maximum engagement range and the blue area is mine.  Where these two areas overlap at reasonable range is where we can engage for maximum effect.  My 15.2mm is designed to take out vehicles, but your weapon should be sufficient on anything short of a tank or surplus Rostovlian APCs.  Keep an eye open for other formations.

Morgan began examining local communications traffic looking for the Brotherhood's frequencies.

Tapewolf

"Roger that," Dorcan said over the comms.  "Unless I'm much mistaken there's just this one entrance to the site, so let me know when things get serious.  The last thing we need is for the Brothers to trap us in here."

He paused.

"OK, this is a silly question... but you're sure it IS the Brotherhood, right?  I mean, if it's a bunch of refugees or a herd of animals, blowing them to Kingdom Come isn't going to make us very popular."

As he spoke he knelt down and crawled to the edge of the site, poking his head down into it.

"Okay fellas," he called out to the dig team, "We have visitors on the horizon.  Don't know their strength or ETA.  If they're invited guests, I need to know now, before we start shooting."

Sprocketsdance

"I guess this is it.." She muttered to herself, shifting a little to see down the road better. Morgan and Darkshine were out there, somewhere, and she had better be ready for anything they missed. She'd wait to jump up until they started to fire, trying to make sure they would be the ones to initiate the surprise, and not her.

Ryudo Lee

A slightly more panicked voice came back to Dorcan from the dig site.
"That's them!  That scout we scared off is bringing back his friends!"
The tension in the site noticeably increased as people started working harder, knowing their necks were on the line now.

The cloud of dust on the horizon dissipated, leaving the silhouette of a fast moving vehicle that had stopped just at the horizon, and a man standing up in it, looking towards the site.  Anyone looking through binoculars would notice the telltale circuit lines going across the side of the vehicle, marking it as a Brotherhood scout vehicle.  The soldier in the vehicle, a grunt, pulled out his own pair of binoculars and scanned the site.  He then sat back down in the vehicle and waited.  A few moments later, a distant rumbling could be heard, as more dust clouds began to rise up and approach the horizon, with the scout in the middle of them.

Tapewolf

"What's happening out there, guys?"  Dorcan asked over the comms.  "Is it just the one guy or does he have company?  And do we have an ETA for him?"

He glanced back down at the dig works.  If any of them look like they're going to reach here, we'll have to call a halt to this, he thought unhappily and glanced once again at his pile of frag grenades.

Lisky

Darkshine focused in on the light vehicle the scout was in, looked to sit 2, maybe 3 at a stretch. The man was alone, his circuit-like pattern shown clearly as he observed through his rifle's scope.  Darkshine smirked at a sudden thought. If he tries that stunt in another few klicks, he's going to find himself halved.  An ever so slight breeze rustled across the mountainous terrain, and the feline adjusted for it with a few clicks on the nobs of his scope.

Speaking into his comm set, "This is Darkshine, we've got 1 scout vehicle, stopped, and dust columns from approaching vehicles, 2 perhaps more if they're in tight formations.  The scout is outside of my range, however, it may be wise to eliminate him as quickly as possible.  It will deny the enemy his knowledge of the area.  Actually... what are the rules of engagement here?  Is it at one's own discretion?"

Azlan

Morgan was also observing the approaching contacts and confirmed Darkshine's information over the comm, acknowledged, one scout and additional incoming.  Two, possibly more vehicles.  Darkshine, no joy on discretion at this time until identification.  After we identify force composition, we will engage.  I will have range on them before you do, but I plan to hold until we both have it.  Dark, engage scout and light armored vehicles, but do not attack heavier ones unless necessary.  I will take care of those.

Pausing, Morgan updated the tactical map, If they are all light, then will saturate them.  Be sure to take out that scout first though.  For everyone back at the site, I am hoping we can take out this group before they get too close, so stay concealed for now.  Dorcan, you need to get those people working faster.

Morgan continued to observe for enemy forces and watching those incoming so when they reached identifiable range with binocular and weapon scope magnification, he could assess those incoming.

Tapewolf

"They know," Dorcan said.  To the dig team he called out: "How long are you going to be, guys?  How much further is there to go?  You must have mapped the site with radar or something..."

Ryudo Lee

The team in the site didn't respond, but instead muttered to themselves.  Who does this guy think they are, some government funded research team?  Radar mapping indeed.
"We're doing the best we can!" Ms. Clay shouted back up to him.

The dust plumes on the horizon began to slow and fade.  Two more vehicles like the one the scout was in appeared as the dust cleared away, each holding three grunts.  A larger carrier vehicle, much like the prison vehicle that was captured, only smaller, took a position behind the scout's vehicle.  They didn't make a move, but instead seemed to be surveying the situation.

Morgan's comm equipment would begin to pick up encrypted signals coming from the larger vehicle, obviously using a Brotherhood cypher.

Tapewolf

Dorcan's face became a scowl for a moment until he mastered himself.  How do they know they're even in the right fucking place?!

"Okay guys," he called over the comms, "What's going on out there?  Any updates?"

Lisky

Darkshine watched the dust clouds as they grew closer, he focused in and clearly made out another pair of scout, and a 3rd cloud which pulled in behind the scout.  He waited a few moments as the 3rd vehicle started to clear the dust clouds kicked up by the other scout vehicles.  Clicking his Comm headset, he replied: "We've got what looks like 3 scout cars and, if i'm seeing this right, an armored transport vehicle.  Wheeled, armored, though armaments are indeterminable for me at this range.   They're stopped well outside my range."

He paused as he looked over the vehicles, "Current threat estimate, 20 foot troops, all mounted... Morgan, do you concur?"