Brotherhood of the Machine (IC Thread) [PG/14] {03}

Started by Lisky, February 21, 2009, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lisky

Darkshine added in, "I took an over-watch of the site with the loaned sniper, and my own carbine as a backup.  I put most of the ammunition for the sniper down range, taking down several soldiers and a scout car.  Between myself and Morgan, most of the brotherhood were incapacitated before they could effectively fight back.  Once they entered the effective range of the rest of the squad it was a simple matter of entrenched positions against a disorganized push.  The brotherhood threw themselves into a meat grinder effectively.  After the mop-up, we extracted, until we were flagged down by the one prisoner. From what i gathered, he claimed to have picked up on the dig site through some of the local vagrants.  He decided to check it out, and when he saw us, somehow thought it would be a good idea to wave down military vehicles.  We detained him and brought him here."

The spotted feline took a shrug and leaned back, idly resting his elbow on the leg crossed across his knee.

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Azlan

Morgan, who had been quiet up to now, slowly rose and produced a tiny portable data storage device.  "here is all the combat footage from my vantage point.  What has been reported so far is a fairly complete account when combined from all sources."

He handed the storage device to Armstrong.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Ryudo Lee

Armstrong took the device and examined it in his hand.
"Good, good.  We'll check this out, but it looks like all went well.  I'm a little concerned that the Brotherhood didn't have any backup.  We're going to be looking into that." He says.  "In any case, you've all been paid for the mission.  If you're ready for the next mission, we can get right in to that briefing."

Sean's interrogators went quiet for a moment.
"Freelance archaeologist?  You mean that you're not associated with a university?"  The voice finally asked.  "That seems rather-"
The voice suddenly cut off.  After a few more moments, it came back up.
"Please tell us about your experience in the field of archaeology." The voice said.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

"If I may, Sir," Dorcan said, holding a hand up, "At the last meeting there were, I believe, four missions planned and this was the one that seemed most urgent.  Since you refer to "mission" singular, does this mean the situation has now changed?

"Also, what is the likelihood of the Brotherhood wanting to come here to retrieve the crystal?"

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Inumo

Sean scratched his head, buying some time. "I've read some books on the subject, and I've been to some digs when everyone's left..." And tested everything left there with a bit of magic, but that's beside the point. "I haven't taken any honest classes on the subject, though."

Ryudo Lee

"There were three missions, and yes this one was the most urgent.  The other two were to destroy a fuel depot, and to investigate some odd seismic activity." Armstrong said.  "If you're ready to move into another mission, we can start the debriefing now.  These last two targets can wait a few days if necessary if you want to take a break."

Sean's interrogators went quiet again, for longer this time.
"So to be certain, you're not a professional and not connected to any universities, correct?" The voice asked.

Tapewolf

"I'm easy," Dorcan said.  "If no-one else has questions, I guess we can do it now."

Inumo

At the repeated question, Sean wondered, Does freelance have a different meaning here or something? "No, I am not working for or with any university, company, or other organization."

Lisky

Darkshine shrugged, "I'm fine with rolling out as quickly as possible.  If we're going to hit that tower, time is a critical factor.  The longer we wait, the higher chances we'll have of dealing with automated defenses.  As for the strange activity... well... that's a scouting mission... we'll have to check it out at some point... but given the unknowns, i figure the tower would most likely be top priority"

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Ryudo Lee

Armstrong pulled a remote out of his pocket and clicked a few buttons.  The lights in the room dimmed and a projector came online, displaying the remaining two missions.
"The other remaining missions are this: first off, to the north we have located a fuel storage facility for the Brotherhood.  This needs to be destroyed.  We recommend explosives.  Secondly, to the southeast there is a site that has been experiencing some strange seismic activity.  Nothing catastrophic, but it appears to be localized, and unnatural.  We cannot confirm that it is being caused by the Brotherhood, but we can't be too careful." He says.

Sean's interrogators went quiet for a moment and then spoke up again.
"We could use an unattached archaeologist working for us.  Would you be interested in a job?" The voice asks.

Inumo

Sean looked about warily, expecting a trick of some sort. "You want me, an untrained archaeologist, to work for you? Show me the hidden camera's; this must be some kind of trick." Sitting up a little straighter, he continued, "If you really do want me, then I'll be happy to work for the Resistance."

Tapewolf

"Sir," Dorcan said, "The seismic activity is a phenomena, which may cease.  The fuel dump is a fixed installation.  I would move that we target the seismic phenomena first, unless there is some overriding need to target the fuel dump such as a military convoy scheduled to use it.
"Has any thought been put into how the phenomena will be studied?  Are we looking at ground radar or a dig?  And is our role hands-on this time, or to act as shepherds for a scientific team?"

techmaster-glitch

"Destroy a fuel depot?" A voice suddenly spoke up. No points for guessing who it was. "Use explosives? Blow stuff up?!" Jexx practically looked like a kid on christmas morning. "I'm all for that! C'mon, what are we waiting for? Let's go go go, boom boom boom!" He was, quite litterally, bouncing with excitement.

Azlan

Morgan shook his head after Jexx expressed his, eagerness.  He nodded towards Dorcan, "I agree with Dorcan's assessment.  In light of any pressing concerns with the fuel depot, I would vote to investigate the seismic phenomena first."

Corgatha Taldorthar

Kedered crouched, listening to the others debate. It was odd, that the hands carrying out the mission would get to decide where and when to go, but if one were allowed to chime in.

"We know that the fuel depot is connected to the enemy. The seismic activity could be a freak occurrence. We are at war, we should be striking at the enemy."
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

Dorcan paused at Fet's comment.  "I don't know what magnitude of activity this is, but if it's definitely artificial and it's not done by any known organisation, I would suspect Brotherhood involvement.  It may even be another dig for crystals such as the one Doctor Woodworth and his staff retrieved.

"Whichever mission we decide to do first, we should probably seek advice from the good Doctor - find out if he is aware of any ancient ruins or suchlike in that area.  If so, that may affect our decision.
"If it's not blasting at a dig site or something, it may perhaps be some secret installation of the Brothers, in which case we should find out what we can and report it back."

"In any case," Dorcan added, "I suspect they have more than one fuel dump.  I don't think blowing that one up is going to cripple their organisation for good."

Lisky

Darkshine chimed in, "It's the option to investigate an unknown, versus smashing a known and easily identifiable target.  I'm going to abstain from voting... My involvement is as a mercenary, and while i do suggest smashing the fuel depo first, and cut off their sphere of influence... i'll let those who have a larger stake in this vote, and abide by their decision.  It's my place to plan and execute the tactics of a single mission at a time, not the strategics of a campaign. "

He eased back and watched attentively while the others discussed. 

Tapewolf

"I can see we're not going to reach a quick decision on this one," Dorcan said.  "Does command have any preferences?"

Azlan

"Indeed, our employers should have a preference," Morgan said, "or at least a recommendation."

Ryudo Lee

"We might have an opportunity for you coming right up." The voice said to Sean.
The door to the interrogation room opened and in stepped Jackson.
"I apologize for the interrogation, but we have to take certain precautions before bringing in new people.  I'm Jackson Phoenix, the leader of the rebellion." He said.

-----

Armstrong thought for a few moments, carefully considering each scenario.
"Well, the fuel depot isn't going anywhere, and it wouldn't hurt to give them a chance to get complacent.  You should probably go investigate the seismic activity." He said.

Inumo

Sean sat silent. "I'm not dreaming, am I?" Slowly standing up, he continued, "Either way, I don't suppose it'll hurt to take the initiative on this last thing about me." Placing his hand on the side of the chair seat, he sent a small burst of magic into the seat and stood back to watch Jackson's reaction.

Tapewolf

"Works for me," Dorcan said, and began planning.  "What is the rough area that this activity is spread over?  Do we know the location of the epicentre?  Do we have aerial pictures of the region?

"Personally, I would think that ground-penetrating RADAR would be a good place to start.  How easily can we procure such equipment and skilled operators?
We will also have to think about what we may find there.  If it's artificial, it may very well be a Brotherhood-controlled facility so we will have to bring suitable weapons to protect both ourselves and also the GPR technicians."

"If our objective is to get inside there as well, we'll need to think about a stealth approach.  A facility is liable to have an entrance - again, aerial photos of the surrounding region would be useful.