Brotherhood of the Machine (IC Thread) [PG/14] {03}

Started by Lisky, February 21, 2009, 05:33:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arcalane

Exo sweeps the storage room, taking in the resources at hand, then advances forward, attempting to gain access to the cab, though much more carefully this time.

[Perhaps. It would make a useful assault transport, although the internals would need significant restructuring. I would hack open this door and the control systems myself, but interfacing with Brotherhood equipment is not something to take lightly, especially not in my case. Still, it would be possible...] the bot pauses. [Hmmm... this can still be worked with. The Brotherhood will be rather angry that we did this on top of smashing the tower.] The comms beep for a moment.

[Tactical Summary: Use van as distraction. Our vehicles can split up and rendezvous back at HQ with the freed prisoners. Meanwhile, I lead them on a wild goose chase with this transport. Thoughts?]

Tapewolf

"My only real concern is whether we can fit the prisoners in our existing vehicles," Dorcan said to Exo.  "Also that would leave Morgan and myself in charge, should we encounter any resistance or other goals from Jackson on the way home.  Aside from that, the plan is a good one."

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Azlan

Morgan forced a smile, "I think I would prefer to be still out.  The nanites are working overtime, that is why I was woken up."

Leveraging himself off the cot, he stood with a groan, leaning against the wall for support for a few seconds.  With determination and pure will, he stood straight on his own legs and walked carefully to the small lavatory area.  His reflection in the mirrot was haggard and he was quite a bit paler then he normally was.  He took a few moments to scrub the blood from his hands and other locations before returning to the main cabin.

"So what is going on at the moment?  Are we still at the combat zone?"
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Tapewolf

"We're still trying to decide what to do about the prisoners," Dorcan said, trying to fill Morgan in.  "Exo suggested transferring them to our vehicles and using the Brotherhood transport as a decoy."

Lisky

Darkshine went about unlocking the weapons lockers, figuring that Morgan would probably want some type of weapon at the ready... looking over to the Redhead darkshine asked "you want the rifle, carbine, squad support weapon, or are you just planning on scrounging a weapon from a dead body? either way, i don't think it could hurt to be prepared for trouble while were here... "
Darkshine paused while he went through a mental recap of everything he'd heard and seen in the last few minutes
"on a completely unrelated note, i don't think your team realizes that we're plus one, if not two vehicles, and we'll need drivers... i can drive the banshee if you want, it has seating for 9, though 7 is far more comfortable... other than that, i'm good to go with whatever orders you have... i'm looking forward to meeting the rest of the rebels"

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Azlan

"I have this repeating plasma rifle that I picked up from the first elite we downed.   I can recharge these energy clips easier than I can produce bullets, but I will keep it in mind if I need another weapon."

Morgan examined the plasma weapon, checking for anything unusual before linking up to it again.

Link established weapon in good working order.

Lisky

darkshine said "well, whatever you want, i guess i'll lock everything up and get ready to move out... anyways, if your looking for me, i'm gonna go get see what everyone else is up to at the moment... if you need me, just shout at Ranger, he's tied into my comm set already, so no problems if you need to get my attention." 

Heading out, darkshine took a second to find Dorcan. He appeared to be observing the brotherhood vehicle, making sure that Dorcan was paying attention, Darkshine gave the doberman a wave then said "soo, what are we looking at in there, and do we have an evac plan we can start putting into motion... i don't think we should dawdle here for much longer, who knows how close the nearest brotherhood backup actually is..."

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Tapewolf

Unless Morgan had rigged something, Darkshine wouldn't have been in the comms loop, so Dorcan reiterated.

"Exo suggested that he drives the Brotherhood vehicle to act as a decoy.  It still seems to be operational, so that sounds good to me and no-one else has objected so I guess we're going to go with it.
"For that to work we'll need to move their prisoners into our own vehicles, though.  Is there any spare room in yours?  We'll also have to have someone else with a driving license valid in this world to drive Exo's van.  Oh, and one of the prisoners has woken up and wants his stuff.  Someone should really go and talk to him but neither you nor I are qualified for that."

Lisky

Darkshine nodded in agreement "yea, at the very least i would be the worst one to talk to, given that i've been helping the rebellion directly for all of five or so minutes... as for space, depending on what Morgan does, there should be room for at least 7 more in my vehicle.  I can drive the banshee, but if your not sure about drivers for the van... maybe you should take a role call now, and work on logistics while Exo is handling the prisoners?"

Tapewolf

The doberman nodded.

"Right, guys," he said over the comms, "It looks like Exo is going to be taking the transport which the Brotherhood has very kindly donated to us.  I'm not sure Morgan is in a fit state to drive, so I think we're going to need at least one more driver, maybe two.  Any volunteers?"

"Medical team: If the prisoners are fit to move or be moved, I think we're going to transfer them to our vehicles.  We have room for seven in the Banshee, and I guess we can probably free up some space in the rest if there are any left over.  Let me know if anyone needs carrying.  Sound good?  If so, let's do it."

Ryudo Lee

Including Fetrethar and the captured rebellion soldier, there were only five that could safely be moved.  Two others would have to stay in the prison vehicle, or they would risk furthering their injuries.

Thanks to Taski & Silverfoxr for the artwork!

Tapewolf

No-one had raised any objections, so Dorcan stepped into the transport.  "Okay," he said to the lead medic, "We need to move some of these guys to Darkshine's vehicle.   Who can walk and who needs help?"

Corgatha Taldorthar

The white coated man was speaking to someone, that Fetrethar could easily tell. Whom he was conversing with and what was the subject of debate was trickier, given that he didn't seem to get the other half of the conversation. As they spoke, Fetrethar raised himself off the floor, and dropped into a low crouch, feeling with his tongue for his stinger, and waiting for him to cease speaking so he could ask where his equiptment was.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Lisky

Hearing the news that his vehicle was going to be used as the transport, darkshine figured he'd better get things ready.  Walking back to the banshee, he went and put each weapons locker on lock-down.  Only people with access to Ranger could get things in or out of the lockers... once he finished that task, Darkshine went to find Morgan, once he found the redhead, Darkshine said "looks like the ex-prisoners are going to be riding in here, so i'm kinda curious how we want to do this... i figured i can drive, but i have no idea what you plan to do... if you want to mess around with some of the on board systems, you can sit up front... if you want to take a nap, the cot is still wide open, or, if you want to chat with the people we just liberated, there should enough room if you want to sit in the troop compartment... whatever you want to do, feel free to make yourself at home... i figure i'll get a few things ready while Dorcan and Exo get them sorted out"

Tapewolf

"Well, this guy looks active enough," Dorcan said, catching the movement and going to take a better look at Fetrethar.

"We've got to be heading out soon," the Doberman told him.  "Otherwise the Brotherhood will find us and that's not good.  We're going to need to move you to one of our vehicles.  Are you fit enough to do that?"

Azlan

Morgan considered his condition, he was wounded and physically spent mostly because of the injury, but also from the back to back missions.  He could likely still drive, as it is not an especially physical task, but he had lost a lot of blood.  That made him rather tired and as long drives can be monotonous, he might doze off. 

Morgan spoke into the comms, I... I am okay for now, but pretty woozy.  My internal computer could probably remote control a van, but I would likely be zonked out after ten minutes.  So, unless there is no choice, I don't... uh... do not, think I should be driving.  Are we ready to depart yet?

Speaking to Darkshine, he smiled and shrugged, "I'm... I am... not sure what I am going to be doing yet.  When we get back to base, I am sure you will be vetted and then authorized for full access to the comms.  Has anyone swept the area and collected the weapons and ammo?  Armor is useless... damn it, I left my top half of my armor by the Brotherhood transport."

Morgan exited the Banshee and caught the attention of the other soldiers, "two of you collect all the useable weapons from the Brotherhood corpses and check for anything interesting on them.  The rest, keep Darkshine company."

Morgan then headed to the prison vehicle, collected his torso armor... which was in need of repair, and sought out Dorcan.  He was a tad dizzy by the time he found him, but shrugged it off as he patted the doberman on the shoulder, "we need to get moving.  Which rebellion soldiers can drive?"

Tapewolf

"I know we do," Dorcan sighed, turning to Morgan.  "It's like herding feral cats.  I haven't been able to get a roll-call of drivers yet, though there must be some here.  Maybe they just don't want to talk to the alien or something.  Think you can organise it?"

He glanced back at Fetrethar and the medic.

Corgatha Taldorthar

Fetrethar heard the cold clank of boot on floor, off to his right, a slight distance behind his back. The white coated man was still only half paying attention to hm, the bulk of his focus on the supine figures on the floor, so Fetrethar chanced a look behind him.

Upon doing so, he started, still in his crouch. While walking upright, the..... thing appeared to be some sort of upright dog, with a tail that dragged along the floor.  While the storytellers of his clan had mentioned such things, he thought of them in the same category of myths as talking wind spirits, or sheets of fire coming from the ground.

Still, it made no hostile move, so he held his posture, hands low and unthreatening, and called out. "They call me Fetrethar. What name do you wear? Do you know where they took my equiptment? My elders will have my hide if I do not return it."
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Tapewolf

"I am Dorcan of clan Ja'Fell," the Doberman said solemnly, holding out a hand.  "As for your equipment, if it was taken by the Brotherhood, it will probably be in the store-cupboard over there," he gestured to the place he'd found the rations.

Is it wise to let him have it?  I'll leave that to Morgan's discretion, he thought.

"Either way, we have to get out of here soon or your rescue will have been in vain.  If you can walk, grab your things and follow me to our transport.  Unless you prefer to make your own way," he added.

"That goes for the rest of you too," he called to the other prisoners.  "Anyone who can walk, grab your things.  Anyone who needs to be carried or helped, speak up and we'll help you.  But we have to get going soon."

Corgatha Taldorthar

"what? Where?" Turning and darting, Fetrethar rushed over to where the doberman indicated. He flung open the  door, quickly pawing through the assorted piles of dried food, shaving equiptment, excess clothing, sanitation equpitment, and the like, leaving tumbled shelves and a small pile of equiptment on the floor. After about thirty seconds of this rough but rapid search, he uncovered them, the belt and gloves, and quickly donned the two pieces of clothing. He then returned the shelves into some semblance of order, picking up the discarded items off the floor, but taking no real pains to re-arrange the items in their original state.

He then returned to the strange figure that seemed to be his rescuer, snapping the belt on for a second, hearing its distinctive low breathy hum, and then returning it to neutral. At the moment, it seemed pretty safe for him to assume that this animal-man was a friend, at least for the nonce. While he harbored no illusions that his equiptment could protect him from another gas attack, it would seem odd to return his weapons, even temporarily.

Speaking of which A quick clenching of his palm muscles was rewarded with the bitter tang of air scorching into ozone. He waved his hands to turn the effect off, glad that his equiptment seemed to be in working order.

Reaching the tall figure, he nodded his thanks. "Let us go" and moved to follow him towards this "transport" that he mentioned.

Tapewolf

"I'm too fucking trusting," Dorcan cursed to himself as the wildman's gauntlets suddenly emitted an intense flare in the infrared spectrum, making him blink for a few seconds.

"Aren't you forgetting the others?" he asked.  "Everyone who can come comes."

This one looks like he might be a problem. the Doberman thought.

Corgatha Taldorthar

His new companion blinking rapidly, Fetrethar gave an apologetic shrug and went on speaking. "I just needed to test if they still work. Besides, altruists make me nervous. I don't know you, and I doubt you know me, so what exactly is your stake in all this?"

Tapewolf

"I'll be blunt," Dorcan said, and his headwings twitched slightly.  "I'm a stranger around here.  When I arrived, the Brotherhood's welcome consisted of pressing a gun to my head and abducting me.  These guys - the rebels - helped me escape and offered me the chance to help them make a difference, so I threw my lot in with them.  From what I've seen so far, I think I've made the right decision."

"Now the shoe is on the other foot.  The Brothers captured you, I've helped you escape and I'm going to make you the same offer I was given.  If you want to run off into the forest, you're free to do so.  I won't stop you.
"If you want to help make the bastards pay, come with us.  The choice is yours, but don't take too long to decide.  And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to help these guys."

He turned and began to organise the evacuation of the able-bodied prisoners.

Azlan

"Oi, Dorcan!  I do not think it is a good idea to just let this person have these... things."  Morgan said as he gestured to the gloves, "there is no legitimate use of implements like that, except for murder... tortuous, inhumane murder.  I would love to meet the person who would sell such a thing to primitives."

Thinking into the comm, not everyone who is an enemy of the Brotherhood is a friend of the Rebellion, I do not think it is a good idea to just let him wander off with implements like those, but I do not think it would be good for him to come with us either.  We should be working toward a better image, and he would just destroy any hope of a favorable image if those are used during missions against living foes.

Tapewolf

"I agree," Dorcan whispered into the comms.  "It was an error of judgement on my part.  And if you can think of a way to get them off him, be my guest.  Given how desperate he was to retrieve them, I don't think asking will cut it."

Lisky

Darkshine took a few moments to make food and water readily accessible, then turned to the rebel soldiers.  Since he was driving prisoners, he wasn't about to take any chances. Working out a how he wanted things set up, he said, "now, i don't want this to sound like orders, because i'm not in your chain of command, but right now, i don't really care that these people share your uniform, no one who we've freed from that transport is to have a weapon, if they are armed, i'd like it in a locker."

Collecting his thoughts, Darkshine continued, "Next on the list of things i'm going to suggest, i don't think anyone should be allowed up front, besides having the controls of the vehicle itself, the area up front also has control of  the sensor arrays, communications equipment, and furthermore someone could get into the stored data saved throughout the many drives on the vehicle... if someone is some type of brotherhood spy, i'd like to keep all of that out of their hands... "

"so, how i'm picturing the actual working of this, and sorry in advance that i didn't catch your names, but you and you" pointing at two of the soldiers "will be sitting in the seats closest to the partition between the crew compartment and cockpit, depending on who else is riding with us, i might rethink the overall plan, but for now, i'd like to work under the assumption that at least some of these people wish us ill...besides that, just remember to keep on your toes, and be observant... i'll be waiting by the main hatch if you've got any other questions"

Corgatha Taldorthar

As the freed prisoners started their exodus to a smaller, leaner  vehicle, Ked mulled over the possibility of killing the remaining Mongoose clan members. He knew that a more deidcated man than himself would do it, as honor's imperitives made small the value of a life, a life of a herdsman no less, but he was afraid of these odd men who burst in out of nowhere and whose motives he did not understand. Just their bearing said that they probably would not approve of what to them, must be random violence.

He stepped into the new transport, and saw a flash of a feline head. What is it with these people? Is this some sort of genetic freak experiment gone wrong? Nodding his head, he said  "Greetings to you. I am called Fetrethar Goynavan. What name do you wear?"

Lisky

Darkshine took a deep breath as the prisoners headed his way.  He tasted the filtered air and realized he was still wearing his mask... he removed the mask, but kept the headset on.   throwing the mask in an armor locker, darkshine went back out front to greet the prisoners.

Those in rebel uniforms appeared ragged, beaten, and probably tortured.  Mixed around them appeared to be a group of savages, he watched Ranger's scans of each person, as they drew closer.  He noted that at least one had several power sources... whispering to the rebel soldiers around him "the short one, he appears to have several low yield power sources, keep an eye on him, he might be brotherhood, or a freelance infiltrator."

When the prisoners reached the ramp, Darkshine said into his headset "ranger, do a preliminary system check, i want to get moving as soon as we get the go ahead" 

The short man then proceeded to introduce himself, Darkshine figured he'd address his concerns up front, and move from there "I am called Darkshine, freelance mercenary, and the vehicle you are standing in is my personal property.  I'm going to have to ask you to remove the weapons you currently posses... They'll be locked safe over here" Darkshine nodded towards the line of lockers, then continued "and only you'll be able to access them... the empty ones have a biometric scanner, all you have to do is run your finger across the green bar, and it'll be set to open only for you... the lockers will be available once we stop, but until then, no one who was in that brotherhood transport is going to be allowed to be armed..."

Arcalane

Exo hums to itself as it stares down the door to the cab. A quick flex of the wrist like so, a retracted panel here, and a cable spools out from the underside.

Isolating Subsectors A-1 through G-19 for doorbreak procedure...
Isolation complete. Doorbreak procedure loaded.
Verified target system in internal database.
Hooking A-1 through G-19 up to right arm cable.

The cable shot out and snapped into an access port beside the lock.

Interface attained. System clear.
Break sequence alpha engaged.
Sequence denied. Engaging sequence beta.
Break sequence accepted. Door opening.

Sweeping A-1 through G-19.
No infection or counterattack detected. Purge?
Purging sectors.
Sectors purged. Relinking to main grid.

Exo steps into the cab of the prison transport and glances around, the cable coiling back into the socket and the panel sliding back into place. [All of our more experienced members should be able to drive... though they may not officially hold licenses. The traffic authorities tend to disagree with how we drive when we need to get somewhere in a hurry. Laws, unfortunately, must be broken... the needs of the many, as they say, outweigh the laws of the few.] The 'bot ends the modified remark with a chuckle. [Two of the prisoners are unable to be moved? Hurm.] The 'bot paused again.

[This complicates things. Brotherhood pursuit could cause further problems and likely antagonize their injuries if a little hazardous driving is required. Input?]

Tapewolf

Dorcan paced for a moment and spoke into the comms.  "If you need me to drive, I can... try.  I can't promise good results.  As for the injured..."  He looked pained.

"I don't like this, but I think - whatever we do - we'll have to try and move them out of the vehicle.  The Brotherhood will surely spot or track it.  If it's driven slowly enough to keep them steady, the Brothers will catch up with it and they'll likely die anyway.  If it's driven rapidly it might kill them."

"Therefore, the best chance I can see is if we move them out of it to a nondescript vehicle which can then be driven slowly.  Gods help me, I don't like it but I think it's the only way."

He paused.  "This is a little off-the-wall, but... can we call an ambulance and steal it or something?"