02/22/09 [DMFA #976] - All the best family photos can double as a lineup.

Started by inuhanyo, February 22, 2009, 01:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:34:18 PM
But the book does show up in-universe later. And that's what Tape is worried about. Hm… that could be a problem later. Or people could cross it off as a work of fiction.

It comes up later, but so do a lot of other jokes that are clearly intended to be for amusement value and not to cause any "serious/dramatic" (I am using these terms very, very loosely) ripples. For example, Abel starts the Bene Gesserit litany against fear when he runs into Merlitz's old adventuring troupe. (I forget the exact strip) Does that mean that Frank Herbert wrote Dune and that Abel read it? I kind of doubt that is meant to be intended, and I'm tempted to shrug off the Janus Bond arc as the same sort of ridiculous fun.

--
Quote pyramid removed before llearch has a conniption  -TW
--
llearch doesn't have conniptions, he simply resolves the problem. -- ll
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

Jairus

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 26, 2009, 06:41:19 PM
Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:34:18 PM
Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on February 26, 2009, 06:32:32 PM
Is there any indication that Dan has read or even heard about the book? He doesn't exactly strike me as the literate type, even for trashy literature. Also, I'm not sure how serious to take the whole Janus bond thing apart from easy laughs. The caption that kicks it off is "Because every story needs a non-canon spy spoof".
But the book does show up in-universe later. And that's what Tape is worried about. Hm... that could be a problem later. Or people could cross it off as a work of fiction.

It comes up later, but so do a lot of other jokes that are clearly intended to be for amusement value and not to cause any "serious/dramatic" (I am using these terms very, very loosely) ripples. For example, Abel starts the Bene Gesserit litany against fear when he runs into Merlitz's old adventuring troupe. (I forget the exact strip) Does that mean that Frank Herbert wrote Dune and that Abel read it? I kind of doubt that is meant to be intended, and I'm tempted to shrug off the Janus Bond arc as the same sort of ridiculous fun.
The problem is that in-universe the Janus Bond arc was a story Wildy was writing, which explains the non-canon aspect. And not only does the Janus Bond book exist in world, but presumably so does the "Death by Shounen-Ai" scene. Oh, and Paragator. So, the story itself is non-canon, but it does exist in their universe.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Psy-Kosh

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 06:45:11 PMbut presumably so does the "Death by Shounen-Ai" scene.

... This is the first time I noticed that the page number (472) referenced in that strip actually is the number of the strip that had, well, the start of the Shonen Ai apparently just about to happen: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_472.php

I'm a bit slow on the uptake, aren't I...  :sweatdrop

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psy-Kosh on February 26, 2009, 06:57:50 PM

I never noticed that either, if it's any consolation...

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

inuhanyo

Quote from: Aleolus on February 26, 2009, 04:21:24 PM
I'm wondering what got the connection between Kria and Dan started to begin with.  Were they childhood companions who turned away from each other, or what?

Wha...?   Dan only met Kria in 942.  There is no backstory between them.  If you meant Dan and Regina, see 972 thru 974.

Short summery of relationships.

• Kria & Lorenda - mother and daughter
  • Kria & Aliph - sister and brother
  • Regina & Lorenda - 2d cousins
  • Dan & Lorenda - friends
  • Dan & Aliph - enemies
  • Dan & Regina - bitter enemies

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:59:07 PM

Me neither. That is totally awesome, Amber. :bow
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Draken

Quote from: Jairus on February 26, 2009, 07:01:50 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 26, 2009, 06:59:07 PM

Me neither. That is totally awesome, Amber. :bow

Wha?  You guys really missed that?   :erk

Personally, I can't wait till he gets the Photo album.

D : "KO'd him.  That one too.  Wow, been a while since I've seen her.  How's she doing?"
K : "Still dead.  No real want to get her back."
D : "Ah.  Good call."
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

inuhanyo

Quote from: mopman on February 26, 2009, 02:22:35 PM
I dont want Regina to die  :mowsad

I know there is no defence , but she simply is too ignorant/young to gice up on that completly , I think justice would be better served if she could be forced to pay for her crimes by helping those she has hurt.
Besides , I think she would hate that  lot more than simply dying.

12 dead.  How can she make restitution to the dead?

But Dan has taught her what it's like to be the hunted, the one fleeing in terror before death incarnate.   At least this sets her up for a Not So Different moment between her and her prey.

Draken

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 26, 2009, 09:26:43 PM
But Dan has taught her what it's like to be the hunted, the one fleeing in terror before death incarnate.   At least this sets her up for a Not So Different moment between her and her prey.

Well, he DID say he was gonna destroy her.  He didn't specify HOW he was gonna do so?  Right?
"TEETH!  TEETH!  He's a biter!!!"
Go get'em, Jy!

Pancakes.  The evilest food thing since THOSE brownies.  You know the ones.

Currently a complete non-fan of Mab.  Say what you will, I will forever consider her the Big Bad >.>

inuhanyo

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 09:28:52 PM
Quote from: inuhanyo on February 26, 2009, 09:26:43 PM

Well, he DID say he was gonna destroy her.  He didn't specify HOW he was gonna do so?  Right?

I'm pretty sure he intends to turn her into Demon-mincemeat, but that certainly doesn't exclude the plot from coming out differently.

She got herself locked in a secure place, she's safe for at least a little while.  If she's lucky, Kria and Lorenda will get to Daniel before he figures out how to get to her.   Dan's not in a position to demand her head, so I think she's got a good chance to survive this encounter.  But she'll be back on Dan's radar, and that can't be good for her.

I wonder how much of this Destinia knew about, and anticipated?  Was this a Machiavellian plot to motivate him to go back to SAIA to train, and therefore be safely away from dragons?

Terrion

Quote from: Draken on February 26, 2009, 09:28:52 PM

Given Dan's off-the-cuff actions, I believe the how part involves lots of sharp and pointy rending and tearing. I doubt he'd take the route of deliberately torturing her beyond the death threats as he tries to get at her.

Which isn't to say that he couldn't change his mind once he has a moment to cool down and consider what he's doing. Once that happens, Dan might switch from Kill-with-Extreme-Prejudice or Wrath-of-Dan mode to some lesser retribution...

Tapewolf

Quote from: inuhanyo on February 26, 2009, 09:48:35 PM
I wonder how much of this Destinia knew about, and anticipated?  Was this a Machiavellian plot to motivate him to go back to SAIA to train, and therefore be safely away from dragons?

It's improbable, but not impossible.  She may well have known Lorenda from the Twink territories.  If the Regina affair happened while Dee was around, and if Dee learned of the link while they were both at the TTs, she might have been able to string it all into a plan.  Though to be honest, it has a hell of a lot of things that can go wrong.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

inuhanyo

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 27, 2009, 04:09:09 AM
Quote from: inuhanyo on February 26, 2009, 09:48:35 PM

It's improbable, but not impossible.  She may well have known Lorenda from the Twink territories.  If the Regina affair happened while Dee was around, and if Dee learned of the link while they were both at the TTs, she might have been able to string it all into a plan.  Though to be honest, it has a hell of a lot of things that can go wrong.

The key piece of extra information is that Regina is at Kria's.  Given Regina's reaction to seeing Dan, there are clearly grounds for being confident that Dan could handle her even before his Cubi powers started developing.  The big thing that  could go wrong is that Regina might have failed to get out of Dan's reach.

Clearly Dee thought Dan would be able to handle the "negotiations" with Kria, giving him the address in the guise of Biggs made him warier, if anything that insured that Dan wouldn't just barge in and start fighting.  Lorenda being there was a plus, but not critical.

AmigaDragon

I'm wondering what got the connection between Kria and Dan started to begin with.  Were they childhood companions who turned away from each other, or what?

How could they be? Kria was already 393 years old when Dan was born. She wasn't even childhood friends with Abel, being 19 years older than him. She was his magic teacher after his family moved to Zinvth.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Baal Hadad

Quote from: AmigaDragon on February 27, 2009, 12:45:01 PM

How could they be? Kria was already 393 years old when Dan was born. She wasn't even childhood friends with Abel, being 19 years older than him. She was his magic teacher after his family moved to Zinvth.

I'm guessing Aleolus may have meant Regina, rather than Kria....