[Art] Arroyo's Artz and Craftz (as of 2/26/11) This is still here?)

Started by Arroyo Milori, March 16, 2009, 05:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arroyo Milori

The fact this topic wasn't locked after collecting so much dust astounds me. I also added my tumblr account on the first post, but for the msot part its just stupid spam posts. :E But occasionally I put up art. Anyways Art!

Tierra idle sketch
At the time I thought this was actually kind of decent, but now i realize I drew it a bit crooked. The Left foot not even touching the ground correctly, even though i was trying to forshorten the foot part of it.

Arroyo Shades Icon (failed)
Failed because it didn't come out as I wanted it to be, the shading is horrible and the image itself lacked the detail I wanted. I suppose this would happen if I took too much time off during the summer not drawing on the tablet.

Desu Ecks Machina rough sketch
I wanted to create a weapon for Tierra but not sure what. Although I usually don't make a weapon without the character's insignia involved with it, but this idea was too good to toss out. So why not a Toy hammer with a silly name?

Stylization doodles
I wanted to try something a bit different but in the end I hated all of it in their own unique way.  :)

Arroyo Milori

Tierra torso drawing

It's a NSFW picture, but I'm hoping to get some opinions on the torso, I was triyng to make her have a rectangle figure, to hopefully add to some pudginess to her belly. Just to show she is healthy and not oddly thin.

WhiteFox

Well, I got a distinct impression of rectangular build and slight pudge.

The breasts look like they're slightly different sizes... not sure which one should be considered the "right" size.

Her arms look kinda long. Typically, the wrists come down to the hip joint, and the elbows line up roughly with the bottom of the rib cage (well, not including the floating ribs).
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Arroyo Milori

Quote from: WhiteFox on September 24, 2011, 07:01:36 PM
Well, I got a distinct impression of rectangular build and slight pudge.

The breasts look like they're slightly different sizes... not sure which one should be considered the "right" size.

Her arms look kinda long. Typically, the wrists come down to the hip joint, and the elbows line up roughly with the bottom of the rib cage (well, not including the floating ribs).
I'm mostly showing concern for the hips and upper thigh they don't seem right...ya know?

TheDXM

In addition to what Whitefox had mentioned, the clavicle lines are a pinch too far out and not quite low enough.

The neck seems a bit vacant and could be a little longer.

The head is also... Too big? Unless there was some sort of moe aesthetic you were working towards.
Ͼ ♂ Ͽ

WhiteFox

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on September 24, 2011, 07:24:32 PM
I'm mostly showing concern for the hips and upper thigh they don't seem right...ya know?
Oh... well, it looks like the top of the hip bone (and the belly button) is a bit low. That might be messing up some of the proportions.

It also looks like Tierra is turned slightly away from the camera. Based on that assumption, I did a quick redline:
Tierra Torso Redline NSFW: Nudity.

I threw in my 2c for the clavicle, and the elbow just for good measure.

[edit] Actually, methinks I placed the mark for the sternum sternum a bit low.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Turnsky

Allllrighty then.
The concept behind "the redline" is to not only point out corrections, but also to display where one could do better. Now, since whitefox has not even deigned to provide you with something more informative beyond his own version of the "higher or lower" game, and not only that, but he seems to have missed the point entirely about pointing out flaws in anatomy drawing, and that going right to the key point where most proportional work begins: the head and spine.
Let's post a redline of my own, shall we?

Now, working with the proportions you've already set in place with this female canid, whom is evidently looking off to the side while the rest of her body is facing squarely with the camera slightly. We note the head is somewhat larger in proportion to the rest of her body, whitefox's correction about arm length is there, and generally the elbow is around waist height. depending on figure, the female generally has a narrow waist in comparison to her ribs and hips. Speaking of hips, they are indeed quite narrow, a little wider to improve the taper of the waist should alleviate that.
as for the breasts? it goes without saying that they're more like water balloons that actual balloons, more to the point they're sacks of fat, they're soft, squishy, and gravity takes hold. generally speaking without anything holding them up they tend to form not too far from the bottom half of a water drop in terms of shape. this is largely dependent on overall cup size.

Taking all this and more into account, we get something like this. Which i believe was your intention for camera and posing.
If i seem a tad harsh or anything it's because of the fact that nobody here has thought to go "back" over a few of the basics with you, and the problem with having one artist teach you instead of sourcing information from many, is that you pick up that one artist's bad habits. Your proportions and structure need work in this case, things like belly buttons, sternums and the clavicles can wait until you that sorted out, focusing too much on the fiddly things now that chances are will be covered by clothing and fur can wait for later.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Arroyo Milori

QuoteThe head is also... Too big? Unless there was some sort of moe aesthetic you were working towards.
I guess you could say I did that intentionally for that purpose, but I won't use that as an excuse of course.

Quote from: Turnsky on September 25, 2011, 12:36:35 PM
Allllrighty then.
The concept behind "the redline" is to not only point out corrections, but also to display where one could do better. Now, since whitefox has not even deigned to provide you with something more informative beyond his own version of the "higher or lower" game, and not only that, but he seems to have missed the point entirely about pointing out flaws in anatomy drawing, and that going right to the key point where most proportional work begins: the head and spine.

Now, working with the proportions you've already set in place with this female canid, whom is evidently looking off to the side while the rest of her body is facing squarely with the camera slightly. We note the head is somewhat larger in proportion to the rest of her body, whitefox's correction about arm length is there, and generally the elbow is around waist height. depending on figure, the female generally has a narrow waist in comparison to her ribs and hips. Speaking of hips, they are indeed quite narrow, a little wider to improve the taper of the waist should alleviate that.
as for the breasts? it goes without saying that they're more like water balloons that actual balloons, more to the point they're sacks of fat, they're soft, squishy, and gravity takes hold. generally speaking without anything holding them up they tend to form not too far from the bottom half of a water drop in terms of shape. this is largely dependent on overall cup size.

Taking all this and more into account, we get something like this. Which i believe was your intention for camera and posing.
If i seem a tad harsh or anything it's because of the fact that nobody here has thought to go "back" over a few of the basics with you, and the problem with having one artist teach you instead of sourcing information from many, is that you pick up that one artist's bad habits. Your proportions and structure need work in this case, things like belly buttons, sternums and the clavicles can wait until you that sorted out, focusing too much on the fiddly things now that chances are will be covered by clothing and fur can wait for later.

Her body is suppose to be facing slightly away, and as for your redlining I do appreciate it but you overlooked one detail: I was trying to purposely give her a rectangular shape body, not an hourglass shape. Why Rectangular? Is because I wanted her to have some fat but not like, a large amount, just enough to make her seem healthy but still have some imperfections with her body.

Also, I redrew it, so hopefully i got it right this time, or close to it.

WhiteFox

Huh.

I notice that you draw a circle for the head, and add the jaw to it. I think what's happening is that the jaw is both taking up space where the neck would be, and unbalancing the appearance of proportions based on the height of the head. When I measure the torso proportions using the circle, sans jaw, most of the torso looks right.

The face on this version is a stellar improvement, by the way. Particularly the muzzle.

I'll take another crack at a redline for the hips... not right now, tho. It's late.

Turnsky

Quote from: Arroyo Milori on September 25, 2011, 09:41:07 PM
QuoteThe head is also... Too big? Unless there was some sort of moe aesthetic you were working towards.
I guess you could say I did that intentionally for that purpose, but I won't use that as an excuse of course.

Quote from: Turnsky on September 25, 2011, 12:36:35 PM
Allllrighty then.

Her body is suppose to be facing slightly away, and as for your redlining I do appreciate it but you overlooked one detail: I was trying to purposely give her a rectangular shape body, not an hourglass shape. Why Rectangular? Is because I wanted her to have some fat but not like, a large amount, just enough to make her seem healthy but still have some imperfections with her body.

Also, I redrew it, so hopefully i got it right this time, or close to it.

then less emphasis would be put on the curvature of the waist, proportionally barring some niggling features you're getting there.
Hope you don't mind another redline
It's important to remember that techniques only go so far, and if you rely on one too much it tends to fall apart when you try something else with it. The "head height" ideal is a fairly good example, as it's only suitable for direct facing angles such as front, back, side. so it tends to become increasingly redundant when you try different perspective angles and foreshortening. the main consideration is to remember what's in relation to what.
Take your elbows into consideration for example; why are they too low? The "waist" when structuring a character drawing is generally that space just below the rib cage and just above the hips, so really the elbow should be roughly below the ribcage, and following on from that, the wrist is generally at the same level as a character's butt.

you know, this might be actually more useful to you as well: Drawfurry.com 'figure basics' tutorial that might be able to help you at least knock out some of the basic ground work, after which you can begin to work on something more articulated.

Arroyo Milori

It's been kind of action-less lately with art. School work could be blamed but it could be the lack of motivation and my attention is more so shifting towards story writing. But nothing involving what I usually draw, lets just say it's to prepare myself for the the project involving these characters but I have to be very careful when I start to write it considering what kind of characters are involved and such while still keeping the reader's interest without the need to pander.

The currently story is still in the process of being outlined, but I could start on doing the rough draft of chapter one any time I want or continue to brainstorm ideas and create different branches and see what actually works and makes more sense. Although I'm aiming for this to be probably a steam punk super hero comic but so far it's coming out more sci-fi right now, it could change at any time. And no, there is absolutely no anthropomorphic creatures in this story, just humans.

Anyways, sketches. I did recently acquire a manikin hand which is kind of helpful for me to get the basics down of where to start off when drawing the hand, but its not a substitute for the real deal.

I'll keep these in link format:
Hand Practice 1
Hand practice 2
Hand Practice 3

The issue I realized when drawing hands is the foreshortening and such, like when your drawing a finger going outwards then the tip of the finger trying to curl back to the audience.

Also, I did a tiny fix up the Tierra picture a bit(NSFW)

Turnsky

a mannequin is no substitute for the real thing, yes. Infact it's fairly useless in terms of teaching folks real structure and form. the hand is a hell of a lot more flexible than that to begin with, not to mention the thumb knuckle is stiff as all hell.
i've limited time right now, so i'll just fling you something marginally more useful by way of references and tutorials.
http://www.drawninblack.com/2009/10/how-to-draw-hands-35-tutorials-how-tos-step-by-steps-videos-studies-poses-and-photo-references/
http://polykarbon.com/tutorials/hands/hands.htm
http://alexds1.deviantart.com/art/Hand-tutorial-83785318
http://www.drawfurry.com/?p=24

you want to be able to draw human-like hands, not wooden pirate hands, after all.  :P

also you might wanna ease up on the pencil there, you're fairly heavy handed, the key is being light with pencil lines, your wrist will thank you for it later. so will your pencil leads.

(not to mention it also damages the paper)

Arroyo Milori

Welp, once again I came up empty handed with anything remotely interesting. Except a doodle, atleast its something.

Mini Arroyo doodle

Arroyo Milori

Its been quite the busy months, but yet I still find time to do some sketches.

Heres some sketches Of Citrine (NSFW) as well as a very bad experiment Gone Wrong with Tierra