01/13/08 [FFC #45] - Payoff

Started by Tapewolf, January 13, 2009, 05:43:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: LionHeart on January 19, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
As one who has worn glasses since age 14, I strongly advise you to start squeezing, and the sooner the better. Your vision is much too important to take chances with.
That describes me, but...squeezing? Squeezing what? :confused

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 19, 2009, 09:54:40 PM
Quote from: LionHeart on January 19, 2009, 11:15:04 AM
As one who has worn glasses since age 14, I strongly advise you to start squeezing, and the sooner the better. Your vision is much too important to take chances with.
That describes me, but...squeezing? Squeezing what? :confused

Quote from: Turnsky Earlier In The Thread
there is, but given my current situation, sixty AUD is something hard to squeeze by.

Turnsky

i ordered my glasses, i gotta wait a little while to get them (something like a week, to a week & a half or somesuch) i'll try and wrangle an update before then, also.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tyranastrasz

:cheers Congratulations! Soon you'll be back among the non-blind!

Kabbalist

Quote from: Turnsky on January 20, 2009, 01:16:42 AM
i ordered my glasses, i gotta wait a little while to get them (something like a week, to a week & a half or somesuch) i'll try and wrangle an update before then, also.

Congratulations! I just read the earlier post about your vision problem, and I was about to join the ranks of those worrying about your eyestrain. Now I can simply say: welcome to the world of corrective lenses (once they arrrive)!

Caveat: Some folks really get a charge out of "specs appeal," so you might find yourself attracting new admirers. Whether they're the kind of admirers you want or not depends on your personal taste.

Mao

Glad to hear you're getting those specs Turn....now back to updates *cracks whip*.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mao Laoren on January 21, 2009, 10:36:56 AM
Glad to hear you're getting those specs Turn....now back to updates *cracks whip*.

Not until they arrive. I mean, come on...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

AmigaDragon

I'm glad that up to now I haven't needed specs, though one brother and our sister do (glasses or contacts). Now however, I've been occasionally needing low power reading glasses (just 1.0-1.5), particularly in lower light conditions (increasing age can be a bit inconvenient at times).
I've found that the high power ones (3.0+) also work nice as an alternative to using a jeweler's loupe for tiny up close work. They can also be used as a sort of macro lens if held in front of your camera lens, but use your viewfinder (SLR or LCD display) to make sure you're at focus. Convenient that these non-prescription glasses can be found as low as $1 at dollar stores.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Franz Joseph Haydn - Te Deum (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

i ordered my glasses, i gotta wait a little while to get them (something like a week, to a week & a half or somesuch)

Any joy with that?

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 04, 2009, 04:37:24 AM
i ordered my glasses, i gotta wait a little while to get them (something like a week, to a week & a half or somesuch)

Any joy with that?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzGV9Bl6CGg

'nuff said

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

I got mine with a bonus set of little wipers for that...

AmigaDragon

Electric or wind-up? With washer reservoir? Defroster/defogger?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Brunhidden

as this seems to be a congregation of the bespectacled i may as well ask how the fark do you keep them clean? at least five times a day i have to wipe mine off with my shirt because they're greasy and covered in spots, but ive not found a way to get rid of the spots without making them greasy, or getting rid of the grease without making spots

one day i really should just break down and buy an eyepatch or a monocle
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Usually I use dishwashing liquid on them, and anal retentiveness.

Smear the dishwashing liquid carefully over the whole of both sides of the lens, then rinse off under the tap - no fingers at this stage.

Then dry on a clean, lint-free cloth - either a tissue, if it's soft enough, or the microfiber cloth that came with them. Most optometrists will have stacks of cases and the cloths lying about to hand out, since if they have their name on it, the optometrist considers that a win, so if you've lost yours, wander into any optometrist and ask if they have any spare.

That should make them clean. As for keeping them clean, I usually make sure to only handle the glasses by the side of the lenses, or the frame.

... of course, this doesn't ensure that you don't get _little_ fingerprints on them, but that can be dealt with by training...

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 04, 2009, 02:45:21 PM
That should make them clean. As for keeping them clean, I usually make sure to only handle the glasses by the side of the lenses, or the frame.

... of course, this doesn't ensure that you don't get _little_ fingerprints on them, but that can be dealt with by training...

up till now i had mostly been relying on a torn shred of an old yet clean T-shirt and rubbing alcahol, which keeps it clean for all of half an hour. i seem to have some kind of grease aura that radiates two inches from my skin, and i am under the impression the spots have something to do with crying or my exceptionally long eyelashes.... neither of which is a desireably mutant power sadly

and as for little fingers, neither i nor my children touch them, however i did previously total a pair of glasses when eowyn was younger and had the habit of giving me high kicks to the bridge of my nose, got irritating having the lens over my bad eye drop to the ground twice daily, so i just had to bed and do puppy eyes to get a new pair that dont look as nice and now leave large raw areas on my nose.....

the more i talk the more i want to find comfortable eyepatches, but i doubt anyone would want to hire me then

and you know i just now noticed that in the comic one of the examples of glowy wings is a chick who looks familiar and i must wonder if this is just a random example or a different charachter that has not been introduced? also i must wonder who decided to paint the walls that strange purple colour, what is that, mauve?
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 04, 2009, 02:01:22 PM
as this seems to be a congregation of the bespectacled i may as well ask how the fark do you keep them clean?

one day i really should just break down and buy an eyepatch or a monocle

Funnily enough I was cleaning mine this morning, and now I have two monocles!

Sunblink

Okay, I promise I'll think of something more constructive to say later. I just couldn't resist.

Turnsky

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 07, 2009, 10:37:26 AM

Okay, I promise I'll think of something more constructive to say later. I just couldn't resist.

reminds me of IRC one day

<Turnsky> so i was going "eh wot" and he went "eh wot wot" and i went "eh wot wot wot" and then he dunked his monocle into his tea, and ate it.

Edit: there shall be a comic Monday =D

Tyranastrasz

Quote from: Turnsky on February 07, 2009, 10:42:34 AM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on February 07, 2009, 10:37:26 AM

reminds me of IRC one day

<Turnsky> so i was going "eh wot" and he went "eh wot wot" and i went "eh wot wot wot" and then he dunked his monocle into his tea, and ate it.

Edit: there shall be a comic Monday =D

Wot wot, ol' chaps?

A new comic, you say? Jolly good!

Tapewolf

Kabbalist

Quote from: Brunhidden on February 04, 2009, 02:01:22 PM
as this seems to be a congregation of the bespectacled i may as well ask how the fark do you keep them clean? at least five times a day i have to wipe mine off with my shirt because they're greasy and covered in spots, but ive not found a way to get rid of the spots without making them greasy, or getting rid of the grease without making spots

Seems I'm late for the discussion again, but here's my opinion: Provided it's of decent quality, a simple linen pocket handkerchief does as good a job of polishing one's lenses as anything else I've found, though I too make frequent use of my shirt (body or sleeves) when other options have been exhausted. Now, here's what I've found to be the key to cleaner lenses: Lens Cleaner! Optometrists and pharmacies typically sell it by the bottle, and it's got enough soap or alcohol in it to cut through facial grease, as well as an anti-static ingredient to help keep lenses cleaner longer.

AmigaDragon

Those little bottles are the expensive way to get lens cleaner (or any product for that matter). The smaller the package, the more package you're paying for with respect to product. Once it's empty (I saved a bunch of spray-candy bottles), refill it from Windex (or whatever brand you like) larger bottles.