12/31/08 [DMFA #960] - Alternate forms of Payment

Started by Madmann135, December 31, 2008, 03:35:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

Quote from: Gamma on December 31, 2008, 03:51:27 AM
"Random 2" They never have to be mutually exclusive.  >:]
A devilishly attractive devil... has a nice ring to it.

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 31, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
Stable? Yeah...Kria is not known for her resolve or lack of impulse. :U

Honesty though is another issue. It's never been fully tapped into or explained up front in comic, but most creatures are incredibly honest. As a society, its a power thing in that only the weak bother with deception and dishonesty because if they were strong, they wouldn't have to rely on underhanded tactics.  It's generally one of the reasons Cubi get such a bad rap among other Creatures...a race that tends to have disguise self as a feature tends to be considered untrustworthy and weak.  As such, when one lives in a world where many things live for hundreds if not thousands of years...and financial wealth can only get one so far...ones reputation can be the most valuable thing an individual has.  So when it comes to dishonesty, many creatures will avoid that route.

So True on many levels.
But when you take into consideration that there are hundreds of thousands of different views on life and hundreds of different society standards, one could view the general demon populace is self absorbed.
Cubi are creatures that feed off of emotions and some times souls (noms his sugar cookie with a ghost on the face).  In order for a cubi to get substance the cubi will have to hide amongst said prey and passively feed while interacting with their food source, generally the prey is unaware that they are being fed upon, unless the cubi gets active and grabs a soul for lunch.

In short one's view of being a coward can be anther's view of just living.
Dan's another case.  He doesn't care for hiding but he does care for doing the right thing.  Being a pain and riotous cubi does make his feeding habits much easier when you take in his personality.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

techmaster-glitch

I like how Kria's trying to curl her wing around Dan to pull him closer... >:3

Kamunt

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 31, 2008, 08:05:36 PM
I like how Kria's trying to curl her wing around Dan to pull him closer... >:3
And here I was, thinking I could feel so special being the first one to notice that. :cry

Lego3400

Dan's one arm seems extra furry in panel 2. I normaly don't notice the fact that it's fur normally.

Jack McSlay

he gets an offer like that from someone like Kria an refuses? I'm starting to think Abel is not the only character with dubious masculinity in this comic
Keyboard not detected. Press F1 to resume.

Jigsaw Forte

Quote from: Jack McSlay on January 01, 2009, 10:01:37 AM
he gets an offer like that from someone like Kria an refuses? I'm starting to think Abel is not the only character with dubious masculinity in this comic

Given the presence of Cubi in the world at all, I'd say it's a perfectly good survival instinct to refuse the :januscat that's offered to you. You don't know where it's been.

Rakala

You know, who's to say DP can't be revived from nothing but ashes? All that's implied here is that Kria doesn't know a method to do so. Maybe insane evil people know them and will just for the sake of being evil.

MT Hazard

Typical of Dan's luck, he goes from hopeless with women to attracting the wrong sort.

On an unrelated note check out my post in the villa!
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Hermie

Is it just me, or is every other strip with Kria suggestive in some way? Given, yes, she is hawt, and I'd love to be in Dan's shoes (XD), but it makes the character sound either always looking for a shag or just overly flirty. Probably the latter, but in a 3 page strip, it makes it hard for character development.

... On a sidenote, I'm surprised Kria hasn't been Rule 34'ed yet. I have found ONE pic of Mab in a birthday suit, but otherwise it looks like DMFA is sliding past the Molden Rule.

Howl

This raises a question, has Dan actually slept with anyone? I won't go in with what's possible (but as likely as a big meteor crushing SAIA), since it's squicky... but also amusing for me.

Tapewolf

This took a lot of searching to find and it's probably the nearest you're going to get to an answer:
http://clockworkmansion.com/forum/index.php/topic,4995.0.html

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Howl

Ah, thanks. Also, I don't think the rating fits, but I probably already said that somewhere.

!KCA

As a society, its a power thing in that only the weak bother with deception and dishonesty because if they were strong, they wouldn't have to rely on underhanded tactics.  It's generally one of the reasons Cubi get such a bad rap among other Creatures...a race that tends to have disguise self as a feature tends to be considered untrustworthy and weak.

Would some of the more shadowy, manipulative angels be considered "weak" for this reason?

(edit note: Son of a narfing narf! I hate the modify button being right next to the quote button. Curse you moderating powers!)

Edit:
  It's not that hard to find the right button, Amber. Maybe it's just me? ;-]
    -- llearch

Amber Williams

Quote from: Amber Williams on December 31, 2008, 02:21:34 PM
Would some of the more shadowy, manipulative angels be considered "weak" for this reason?

By some demon standards, very much so.  But Angel's have a whole different system of running things and tend to know how to play their cards just enough that they don't get the reputation as manipulative and shadowy.

I guess a key thing to always remember is different races often have different mindsets. Demons in particular...they are a proud and loud race in general with borderline anarchy tendencies. They respect power, as such they will often go out of their way not to make a claim they know they cannot back up. To Demons...their reputation is something they value considerably.  Now granted...to you or I, the reputation may come across as something pretty downright sinister considering some Demons have a tendency to be pretty brutal.  But dishonesty is one of the things Demons dont really dwell with. Cause the logic is if you are strong enough to back yourself...why sneak around and hide?

I believe Dan is simply just following a most ancient of sayings of "Do not stick it in the crazy."  Many a man has forgotten this sage wisdom. Many a man has regretted it.

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2008, 03:01:02 PM
Such a situation only works when everyone agrees to work with it.

As soon as one person is dishonest, they tend to get away with murder...

Of course, there are checks and balances there that we don't see much of; the whole Adventurer business is one such, and dishonesty on such a scale is likely to bring them out of the woodwork...

But I digress.

I'd say the biggest thing to remember is that Demon society is not human society.  And the Demon race already tends to get away with murder quite frequently without needing to be subtle about it.

Slowtini

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 02, 2009, 12:35:22 AM

I believe Dan is simply just following a most ancient of sayings of "Do not stick it in the crazy."  Many a man has forgotten this sage wisdom. Many a man has regretted it.

I've never heard that before now. Thanks for the advice, Amber! e De

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Minishear on January 01, 2009, 06:08:24 PM
This raises a question, has Dan actually slept with anyone? I won't go in with what's possible (but as likely as a big meteor crushing SAIA), since it's squicky... but also amusing for me.

Dan has slept with Abel... in the room. Of course, Abel wasn't sleeping. He eventually found something to do.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Charles Tomlinson Griffes - Poem for Flute & Orchestra (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Tapewolf

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 02, 2009, 12:35:22 AM
But dishonesty is one of the things Demons dont really dwell with. Cause the logic is if you are strong enough to back yourself...why sneak around and hide?

I guess DP kind of dropped the ball there?  I guess if he'd already been put through the resurrection mangle a few times by that point, he might not be acting in a way that Demons call 'rational'.

Alondro

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2008, 10:54:59 AM
Specifically, he needs the liquid assets.

*Charline gags trying to suppress a guffaw*  Oh god... considering the alternative payment Kria is suggesting, 'liquid assets' can have such an utterly euphamistic meaning here!   :milklaugh
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Howl

Quote from: AmigaDragon on January 02, 2009, 03:56:03 AM
Quote from: Minishear on January 01, 2009, 06:08:24 PM

Dan has slept with Abel... in the room. Of course, Abel wasn't sleeping. He eventually found something to do.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Charles Tomlinson Griffes - Poem for Flute & Orchestra (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

You know what I mean. Still, another, unrelated question. Can anyone play any instruments?

AmigaDragon

Yes, anyone can plan an instrument. How well is another matter.

Ok, ok. Going with your intent... I play some mandolin, some guitar, a little ukulele and a tiny bit of recorder.
Once the site where I have pics uploaded comes back, I'll edit and throw up an IMG link here.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Franz Schubert - Polonaise for Violin & Strings (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Howl

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alondro on January 02, 2009, 10:49:12 AM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 31, 2008, 10:54:59 AM
Specifically, he needs the liquid assets.

*Charline gags trying to suppress a guffaw*  Oh god... considering the alternative payment Kria is suggesting, 'liquid assets' can have such an utterly euphamistic meaning here!   :milklaugh

*cough* You think that was accidental?

... interesting.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Gamma

Nice cover Llearch, no one suspects you simply are quick witted by turning other peoples words against them. :paranoid
Oh wait, isn't that one of the definitions of having a "quick wit"?
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

TheDeere

"Don't stick it in the crazy"?! LOL Amber!! I'm gonna remember that bit of advice!

That being said.... Oh man I wouldn't mind seeing where that comic could have gone. >;)

Evandril

Quote from: TheDeere on January 03, 2009, 06:15:25 PM
"Don't stick it in the crazy"?! LOL Amber!! I'm gonna remember that bit of advice!

That being said.... Oh man I wouldn't mind seeing where that comic could have gone. >;)

Make sure to read A Girl and her Fed, think that's where it came from ;)

Where it would have gone...With Dan ending up as a snack when her daughter found out about it would be one guess ;) "You did WHAT?? With my *MOM*!"

Slowtini

Is Kria even aware of Dan's Incubus status yet?

I'm unclear on this, due to taking a hit on the noggin' recently.

Tapewolf

Quote from: Evandril on January 03, 2009, 09:59:24 PM
Dan ending up as a snack when her daughter found out about it would be one guess ;) "You did WHAT?? With my *MOM*!"

I think Kria is used to her mother's obsessions by now.  Though whether any of them have gone that far while Kria has been around is something we will likely remain blissfully ignorant of.

Quote from: Slowtini on January 03, 2009, 11:52:59 PM
Is Kria even aware of Dan's Incubus status yet?

Possibly via DP (see strip 388), but her use of the term "incubus-level hot" a few strips back suggests she hasn't quite put all the pieces together yet.

AmigaDragon