12/19/08 [Abel 2 #40] - Let's see what's outsi...

Started by AmigaDragon, December 19, 2008, 01:14:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naldru

There are some debates that not even the creator of a story can resolve.  People can always argue that while the creator's conscious intent was A, there was obviously an unconscious influence of B.  Before long, you run out of letters in the alphabet and start using Greek letters and Venn diagrams  (Driving some people to say "It's all Greek to me".)  As Freud supposedly said, but probably didn't: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

By the way, my understanding was that in the antebellum South, women had morning clothes, afternoon clothes and evening clothes.  In the morning, women would go around checking on the servants and doing various errands that might result in the clothes getting dusty, so you wore comfortable clothes that didn't have to have a spotless condition.  In the afternoon, people would come visiting and you wanted to look "presentable".  Fancier clothes were for the evening events. 

Amber, as for the wallpapers with matching backgrounds.  You might want to consider doing the background separately on a single board.  (You can do the background  at half scale.)  You can then split it in half and use each half as a background layer for each wallpaper.  Alternatively, do one side, and print a one inch strip of the right edge of the left wallpaper.  Tape that to the board for the right wallpaper when you make it.

Edit:

Just  because something walks, swims, and quacks like a duck doesn't necessarily mean that it is a duck.  However, the possibility of it being a duck is a hypothesis worthy of consideration until disproven.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Turnsky

Quote from: Naldru on December 21, 2008, 09:20:36 AM
There are some debates that not even the creator of a story can resolve.  People can always argue that while the creator's conscious intent was A, there was obviously an unconscious influence of B.  Before long, you run out of letters in the alphabet and start using Greek letters and Venn diagrams  (Driving some people to say "It's all Greek to me".)  As Freud supposedly said, but probably didn't: "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."

By the way, my understanding was that in the antebellum South, women had morning clothes, afternoon clothes and evening clothes.  In the morning, women would go around checking on the servants and doing various errands that might result in the clothes getting dusty, so you wore comfortable clothes that didn't have to have a spotless condition.  In the afternoon, people would come visiting and you wanted to look "presentable".  Fancier clothes were for the evening events. 

and some folks go... "it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, even smells like a du.... OMG IT MUST BE ANIZ!"  :U  some people see what they want to see, even if they can't see the proverbial forest for the equally proverbial trees. Not that i'd be remarking on their intelligence, mind. Just that some develop a proverbial tunnel vision because they want to see a comic develop -just so- which more often than not, can fly in the face of what the author has intended.
But if their theories are ratified, they get all bouncy for a while, then come crashing down in flames when the next twist destroys all the hopes and dreams..
(They're totally gonna see Aniz, Edward or Thomas Jefferson in a toasted cheese sandwich next, mark my words. )

as for Fa'lina, it does make perfect sense for a cubi with some sense of style to have a wardrobe of more than one outfit, considering her 'girls' are *ahem* "factory standard" it'd go with her personality to have clothes that were her own, rather than what her Succubi abilities give her. Of course that doesn't stop her from performing a quick costume change if a Broadway musical number is required.  :3

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Turnsky on December 21, 2008, 09:51:00 AM
and some folks go... "it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, even smells like a du.... OMG IT MUST BE ANIZ!"  :U
You've been there too, Turnsky  >:3  Different theory, but same pattern.

Quotesome people see what they want to see, even if they can't see the proverbial forest for the equally proverbial trees. Not that i'd be remarking on their intelligence, mind. Just that some develop a proverbial tunnel vision because they want to see a comic develop -just so- which more often than not, can fly in the face of what the author has intended.
But if their theories are ratified, they get all bouncy for a while, then come crashing down in flames when the next twist destroys all the hopes and dreams..

That's surprisingly difficult to do.  Firstly, no-one has yet been able to conclusively stick a pin through the damn thing, much as I'd like to see it disproved.  Secondly, it's not one single theory.  It's more a theme, or a collection of interlinked theories and variations tied together by a single premise.

If that basic premise is proved to be false, the whole thing evaporates and is forgotten.  I'll come away looking a bit of a pleb for having nailed my colours to the wrong flag.   If the underlying premise is true, the thing still has a boatload of different directions it could take, for good or ill.  It's all there in the wiki.

**EDIT*
I might add that much of this thread seems to be about me somehow gaining status by predicting what Amber will do.  This is in error - I must point out that I didn't invent the theory.  I think, on balance, that it's more correct than incorrect, and as I say, I'm willing to be proved wrong.  But at the end of the day, I didn't propose it and cannot take credit for it.
That is all... I will now return to lurking.

It all fit: the pieces of the puzzle slipped together smoothly.  Saul was convinced.
He was also wrong.

--Illuminatus!

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on December 21, 2008, 10:06:23 AM
and some folks go... "it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, even smells like a du.... OMG IT MUST BE ANIZ!"  :U
You've been there too, Turnsky  >:3  Different theory, but same pattern.

ah,  but i have yet to harp on about it like some have in the past.

AndersW

Quote from: Turnsky on December 20, 2008, 06:09:32 PM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 20, 2008, 02:48:36 PM
"Do these pants make my buttwings look fat?" :mowmeep

*grabs cuban cigar and dons groucho marx costume*
"i've heard of flying by the seat of your pants before, but this is ridiculous!"
*waggles eyebrows*
</groucho>

:mwaha

(They're totally gonna see Aniz, Edward or Thomas Jefferson in a toasted cheese sandwich next, mark my words. )

I totally saw that in my sandwich yesterday, but I eated it.

As the person who come up with the theory in question, I can say that I had no intention of coming up with such an outlandish scenario.  Someone had innocently made a comment that Aniz and Edward looked similar.  I was like, "Oh god, someone is going to come up with a crazy theory based on that.  Here, I'll go and find some evidence to disprove it before it goes anywhere."  You can see how well that worked.

Turnsky

Quote from: AndersW on December 22, 2008, 09:28:50 AM

As the person who come up with the theory in question, I can say that I had no intention of coming up with such an outlandish scenario.  Someone had innocently made a comment that Aniz and Edward looked similar.  I was like, "Oh god, someone is going to come up with a crazy theory based on that.  Here, I'll go and find some evidence to disprove it before it goes anywhere."  You can see how well that worked.
it went down like this, i think

>:3

:P