PF Episode 6 (Page 49)

Started by Tapewolf, November 28, 2008, 02:06:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 19, 2008, 03:18:16 PM
..I'm sorry, but I can't resist a stupid joke..

"Jakob! What does the monitor say about his power level? D:<"

"It's.. pretty low. :/"

Stupid joke? Doesn't look like a joke at all.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 19, 2008, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2008, 06:10:35 PM
You mean "It's over 9"?

HOW DID IT NOT OCCUR TO ME??? D:

Umm... what? Still doesn't look like a joke.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 21, 2008, 10:47:15 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 19, 2008, 03:18:16 PM
..I'm sorry, but I can't resist a stupid joke..

"Jakob! What does the monitor say about his power level? D:<"

"It's.. pretty low. :/"

Stupid joke? Doesn't look like a joke at all.

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 19, 2008, 06:36:40 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on December 19, 2008, 06:10:35 PM
You mean "It's over 9"?

HOW DID IT NOT OCCUR TO ME??? D:

I hope you really don't know this thing from Dragonball Z about Goku's power level being over nine thousand and Vegeta throwing a fit about it..

Tapewolf

Quote from: Gabi on December 21, 2008, 11:41:55 AM
Yes, that's what I've been thinking. Poor Joshua. Why must Jakob torture him so? Then again, he did try to kill him.
Or did he?  If Joshua is actually asleep, like in chapter 3, it might provide a good way to see how he'd react and whether Jakob can trust him.  And before you ask, the androids can sleep, though it's not necessary if they decide not to.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Mao

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on December 21, 2008, 03:40:34 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 21, 2008, 01:24:17 PM
"Curses! Foiled again!"

... as the potato said to the oven.

*groan*  You've just been rolling out the hits of late llearch. :D

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Mao Laoren on December 22, 2008, 11:04:48 AM
*groan*  You've just been rolling out the hits of late llearch. :D

Have I been growing moss?
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Colgatecrusader

No, rolling stones gather no moss.
I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on December 22, 2008, 04:51:26 AM
Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 21, 2008, 10:47:15 PM
I hope you really don't know this thing from Dragonball Z about Goku's power level being over nine thousand and Vegeta throwing a fit about it..

Nope, never even seen PART of a DBZ episode. I've seen a few of the original Dragonball (little monkey-tailed boy, right?), but that's it.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Johann Sebastian Bach - Cello Suite No. 1: Allemande (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

techmaster-glitch

Well, it was something that was said on one of the episodes that got memetically mutated.

I'll let this video explain it.

Colgatecrusader

I'm just really loyal to my brand... what can I say? Dental Hygiene is important.

techmaster-glitch

the video or the tropes page?

Colgatecrusader

techmaster-glitch

I just went to Youtube and typed in "Over 9000"...first thing that came up...took the least amount of effort to find a video I've ever looked for, really.

And then there are OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAAND remakes of the same video. The mutatations are staggering.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on December 22, 2008, 06:56:20 PMI'll let this video explain it.

I don't see where it explains anything, though kinda shows me the situation where you get your 9000

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Frank Denson - Make a Joyful Noise (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

AmigaDragon

Nice artwork (shading, etc.) on page 45. Looks like a comic book cover.

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Igor Stravinsky - Pulcinella Suite (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes

Tapewolf

Quote from: AmigaDragon on December 30, 2008, 02:40:52 PM
Nice artwork (shading, etc.) on page 45. Looks like a comic book cover.

Here's the original:
http://turnsky.deviantart.com/art/Spark-and-oil-change-83376291
...Though the version used on the page was a higher-res version.

There's a bit of story attached to that, actually.  I originally got the idea for Future History around November 2006 or so.  In late December of that year, I commissioned this picture from Turnsky - before the story itself had begun.  (The series officially began in late February 2007).
The picture was finally completed in April 2008, and if I may say so was worth the wait.
Though because of its peculiar history, there are a few discrepancies between it and the story.
However, Ren and I have used it as a visual base for the comic - Niall was originally a sort of half-wolf, half-fox thing, but when Turnsky did him as a grey fox I thought it kicked ass.

**EDIT**
And I think we're still on track for a Friday update.

Tapewolf

Just a quick note to say that we've kind of dropped the ball on this one.  I think the main problem was family commitments on Ren's end.  While anything's possible, if the strip is up at its usual time, it'll be the result of a minor miracle  :rolleyes

Tapewolf

Better late than never.  Page 45 is up... enjoy it.

techmaster-glitch

Here it comes... next page is the big suprise! :eager

Tapewolf

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 02, 2009, 06:58:30 PM
Yes, I suspect you may be surprised  >:3

Amber Williams

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on January 02, 2009, 06:58:30 PM

They're gonna tell Joshua he is adopted? :U

Tapewolf

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Amber Williams on January 02, 2009, 07:28:11 PM
They're gonna tell Joshua he is adopted? :U
Oh, snap! Where are the spoiler tags when you need them? :dface

Amber Williams

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 03, 2009, 02:35:16 AM
Oh, snap! Where are the spoiler tags when you need them? :dface

Sorry. I had to use them for censor bars a bit ago.  Who knew little black boxes could run out so quickly? :B

Tapewolf

No-one has yet commented on the incantation.  I'm disappointed  :P

**EDIT**
Also, while you can only see about a third of him, Daryil has had a bit of a makeover, inspired by Turnsky's rendition which can be found here.  Get a commission from the man... he's good.

I'm still undecided as to whether I want to go back and recolour the hands from his appearance in chapter 3 (they're pale, should really be dark).

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on January 03, 2009, 07:34:21 AM
Oh. Sorry. I was meaning to ask you what was that incantation supposed to say, but forgot. :< (BTW, where did you get that font from? BlamBot? :3)

SpottedKitty

No-one has yet commented on the incantation.

Some have tried thinking about it. The unlucky few who figured it out are now incurably insane.   ;)

And yes, we saw what you did there — "Press Return to resurrect"...
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Tapewolf

Quote from: SpottedKitty on January 03, 2009, 01:31:44 PM
Some have tried thinking about it. The unlucky few who figured it out are now incurably insane.   ;)
That particular font was a pain to do.  It's structurally damaged at the file level and the MacOS font renderer won't touch it with a stick.  This is very, very annoying as the captioning is all done on the Mac.
I ended up rendering the font in GIMP as part of the image (GIMP uses the Linux font renderer which isn't so picky).  This is why it's not in a speech bubble.  Thinking about it, I may have a workaround for next time.

QuoteAnd yes, we saw what you did there — "Press Return to resurrect"...
If anyone can get hold of a 3DS mesh or something of a VT100 (or 101,102,103,180) I would be extremely grateful as it will suddenly make my life much easier.  I had to build the keyboard up from this:
http://vt100.net/docs/vt100-ug/figure3-2.html
...carefully redrawing it all for copyright reasons and then trying to turn it into a 3/4 view of a keyboard.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on January 03, 2009, 09:05:23 AM
Oh. Sorry. I was meaning to ask you what was that incantation supposed to say, but forgot. :< (BTW, where did you get that font from? BlamBot? :3)

Yeah. That'd be the font from Tales of the Quaestor. Hang 5, I think I looked up the strip a while ago...

Lovecraft's Diary, as shown in the strip itself, at one point, and there are two links for where to download it from that first URL.

It's possible that the other one of those might work better, or be a cleaner font. Or it's possible we could _make_ a clean font out of it...

Tapewolf

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on January 03, 2009, 04:08:34 PM
It's possible that the other one of those might work better, or be a cleaner font. Or it's possible we could _make_ a clean font out of it...
I couldn't find it on blambot, all the other copies I could find had the same issue except the bitmap versions, but the MacOS now only seems to support TTF fonts.

As for the exact problem:
http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k216/tapewolf/scraps/fonterror.png

The 'font name table' appears to be missing or invalid.  I believe it's the category that fonts are divided up by in the font picker, hence it gets kind of confused.
If anyone has access to a font design utility so we can construct one, that would be very handy...

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'll ask around. We might have something, but I suspect it's been lost in the talent bleed.