11/14/08 [Abel 2 #036] - Me, too!

Started by superluser, November 14, 2008, 02:31:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corgatha Taldorthar

I still think, that if we're going with the theory that "This is another 'Cubi who read Abel's mind and projected into him" that Ink is the most likely candidate.

Here's why. According to the Cubi mind abilities in Demonology 101, there are two "classes" of telepathy. Thought reading, is essentially the reading of surface thoughts, and is done much the way you would hear a voice that is shouted in your general direction.

Mind reading, on the other hand, takes much more time, energy, and is fraught with risk. It's not something a 'Cubi Can do by reaching out at a moment's notice.

But........... Abel has been in Ink's custody for three days. Devin says "another" with the implication that he's been there three days already. I doubt too many people other than Ink or Fa'Lina would be given access to Abel while he's in quarantine, and I don't think that Fa'Lina's intreview was long enough to let her do a real mind reading. Also, Mind reading is dangerous, and I don't see Fa'Lina risking Abel being damaged with a procedure like this. Ink, on the other hand, doesn't seem to like Abel, and probably wouldn't care as much if his brain breaks.

Now, you're probably going to ask me, "Why are you putting such an emphasis on mind reading? Abel's probably been thinking over the events of that last day before the academy, and any passing 'Cubi could simply thought read him instead."

It's a valid objection, but I'm still sure that Ink has mind read Abel at some point, and probably early in Abel's career. Look here. Now, we don't know why Abel might be indebted to Edward Ti'Fiona's son, but there seems to be at least some reason that Ink thinks so. Ink and Abel don't really seem to be on good terms, and I can't see someone as closed in as Abel blabbing something that personal to him. We also know that Abel has some sort of Mind Shield ability which prevents his thoughts from being read. Presumably that works no matter how powerful the telepath is, although it is conceivable that a powerful enough 'Cubi can "drill" through the shield. Still, if Ink wants to get some insight into Abel, this is the most opportune time, when Abel has no training nor even emotional capability to defend himself.
Someday, when we look back on this, we'll both laugh nervously and change the subject. More is good. All is better.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Counterpoint: At SAIA, Fa'Lina is semi-omnipotent. Hence, her being able to read minds without looking like she's straining is perfectly possible.

(see also other notes about her status and power, some of which I'm not at liberty to talk about)

Hence, "Fa'Lina hasn't had a chance to read his mind" is quite possibly utterly false. All she might need is to think about doing it, when she's at SAIA. We really don't know.

Additionally, you might want to pay attention to how Ink behaves when Fa'Lina remonstrates him for assuming. I think even if _he_ doesn't care about Abel, you can bet he's going to be very very careful about what he does, because she sure as heck does, and she's powerful enough that he's not going to cross her. In fact, he'll go a long way out of his way to avoid crossing her.

Which makes him damaging Abel pretty unlikely, IMHO.

My 2p.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 16, 2008, 01:25:01 PMHence, "Fa'Lina hasn't had a chance to read his mind" is quite possibly utterly false.

This is true.  From all we know of Fa'Lina, however, she has shown no inclination to dig into minds, and given some of her reactions in the cubi-abilities arc, she might find the whole thing offensive.

I think it's fair to say that both Ink and Fa'Lina have the means and opportunity, but Fa'Lina has the stronger motive for impersonating Devin, while Ink has the stronger motive for reading his mind.

Though it could easily be someone completely different, as well.  I just suspect it's not a first year.

Would you like a googolplex (gzipped 57 times)?

Tapewolf

Quote from: superluser on November 16, 2008, 01:35:44 PM
Though it could easily be someone completely different, as well.  I just suspect it's not a first year.

My gut feeling is that they are, for now, keeping him separate from the other 'Cubi.  Certainly I'd do that in Fa'Lina's place, until he seems ready to interact with others.  It only seems sensible, given that the other students will tend to be emotional manipulators.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

AmigaDragon

Quote from: Corgatha Taldorthar on November 16, 2008, 11:40:32 AM
But........... Abel has been in Ink's custody for three days. Devin says "another" with the implication that he's been there three days already. I doubt too many people other than Ink or Fa'Lina would be given access to Abel while he's in quarantine,
Devin could also be referring to another time, like perhaps when Cindy died (which I guess would be only a few days past, since Abel was returning from the funeral just before the attack).
Quote from: Tapewolf on November 16, 2008, 01:53:16 PM
Quote from: superluser on November 16, 2008, 01:35:44 PM

My gut feeling is that they are, for now, keeping him separate from the other 'Cubi.  Certainly I'd do that in Fa'Lina's place, until he seems ready to interact with others.  It only seems sensible, given that the other students will tend to be emotional manipulators.
It may be that he's just being kept away from the general SAIA population but not locked away (not locked in and others not locked out). How far away would cubi  have to be to not hear others' unshielded thoughts, a few feet, a few yards, more? That's assuming they're not actively listening for them. If they are, how much does that distance jump?

----------------
Now playing on Winamp: Franz Joseph Haydn - Trio No. 2  "London" (Classical Minnesota Public Radio)
via FoxyTunes
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

superluser

Quote from: Tapewolf on November 16, 2008, 01:53:16 PMMy gut feeling is that they are, for now, keeping him separate from the other 'Cubi.  Certainly I'd do that in Fa'Lina's place, until he seems ready to interact with others.  It only seems sensible, given that the other students will tend to be emotional manipulators.

For some reason, I had interpreted it as his own room, but judging from the metonymy from page 31, I doubt that most dorm rooms have one-way mirrors.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: superluser on November 16, 2008, 10:42:48 PM
For some reason, I had interpreted it as his own room, but judging from the metonymy from page 31, I doubt that most dorm rooms have one-way mirrors.

Heh. Voyeurism is another feature that I'm sure you'll find, along with exhibitionism, at SAIA.

However, there's nothing that says that that's a one-way mirror; for all we know, Ink and Fa'Lina could be somewhere else entirely, with a magical preview window from an invisible dot on Abel's wall...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

superluser

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 17, 2008, 03:09:42 AMHowever, there's nothing that says that that's a one-way mirror; for all we know, Ink and Fa'Lina could be somewhere else entirely, with a magical preview window from an invisible dot on Abel's wall...

While magical preview windows are certainly conceivable, we do know that Ink has observation windows, and I assume that they're one-way (I hasten to point out that I can't be sure that it's not a clear window in page 31).

Attic Rat

"Devin" has provided, in effect, forgiveness to Abel.
This can be very good indeed.
Healing may now begin...
And let's face it - Abel could use some healing at this point in his life.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?