09/11/08 [Hybrids #12] - Hybrid Genetics: Angel Style

Started by Lego3400, September 10, 2008, 10:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tapewolf

Quote from: Azraelle on September 11, 2008, 07:48:16 AM
They're a concept thought up by an author, and penned into existence solely as a side-note in what is ultimately a form of entertainment.  Let's not get too attached or xenophobic about something that does not exist.
That may be, but the fact that people are saddened by this means that Amber is doing a pretty good job, writing wise.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Turnsky

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 11, 2008, 07:52:44 AM
Quote from: Azraelle on September 11, 2008, 07:48:16 AM
They're a concept thought up by an author, and penned into existence solely as a side-note in what is ultimately a form of entertainment.  Let's not get too attached or xenophobic about something that does not exist.
That may be, but the fact that people are saddened by this means that Amber is doing a pretty good job, writing wise.

it's always a sad thing when a race, a culture is in a state of decline, society wise we do tend to see things like that, as older cultures struggle to survive in today's world..

Suffice to say, the reason behind the sterility of the Angels could be attributed to far too many things for me to discuss here. I suppose many modern techniques such as IVF and genetic engineering could be used to offset such things, however.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

Aisha deCabre

Huh...interesting.  No wonder that we've seen very few angels, if any.  The fact that they like to keep to themselves certainly isn't helping the genetic diversity.  Makes me feel a little bad, and yet surprisingly on the mark, that I have an angel character who can't have children anyway.

Not sad enough to change it though.  :3
  Yap (c) Silverfoxr.
Artist and world-weaver.

Brunhidden

amber draws some cute preggers, that she does

i would almost think the two likely causes are some other magical species is directly sabotaging the fertility, or they've selectively bred themselves to the point they are no longer as vital in much the same way humans have bred themselves to the point we could no longer eat raw meat or survive without clothes
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Alondro

Ah, I wonder if Angel genetics aren't as similar to the other races.  It could be that interbreeding may be analogous to the situation with ligers and mules.  The initial breeding is successful, but due to the chromosomes not quite being homologous, gametogenesis through meiosis is either partially or completely unsuccessful.

And if hybridization makes up a significant part of the Angel bloodline, they may have ended up dooming themselves.

But then again, a lil genetic engineering can fix that!  I can help.. for a price!   :mwaha
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Amber Williams

Well the thing to keep in mind if it was truly sabatoge, its a really slow and unproductive way of doing so.  Keep in mind Fluffy said that its with each generation, not "oh hey there are no more being born at all", so it isn't like there is a sudden stop.  Many angels still can have children, and even if they did fade out...its gonna be a loooooong time before it ever does.

Jairus

Quote from: Amber Williams on September 11, 2008, 11:38:56 AM
Well the thing to keep in mind if it was truly sabatoge, its a really slow and unproductive way of doing so.  Keep in mind Fluffy said that its with each generation, not "oh hey there are no more being born at all", so it isn't like there is a sudden stop.  Many angels still can have children, and even if they did fade out...its gonna be a loooooong time before it ever does.
Oh, okay, so they've still got time to reverse it? That makes me feel a little better.

I am feeling worried about a fictional race that we haven't really seen in a webcomic: Amber, you are to be congratulated for pulling that off.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Ghostwish

MT Hazard

Some races would have the patience (and the life span) to sit out such a long time.

One possible is that they are simply waiting to long to have children (or did at one point) causing fertility problems.

There are many things it could be such as a genetic bottleneck in their early history.

From a story perspective it can be better to leave a question or two unanswered, real life often doesn't have simple answers after all.

And life would be a lot less interesting if we knew all the answers anyway.
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on September 11, 2008, 11:42:01 AM
Oh, okay, so they've still got time to reverse it? That makes me feel a little better.
The lifespans will help too, if it is an environmental thing.  IIRC that was one of the factors that contributed to the Osprey's survival of DDT etc... they lived long enough to be able to resume breeding after the environment had cleared up.

James StarRunner

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 11, 2008, 04:56:39 AM
The first thing that I thought of when reading this was "James' character's just got some free angst."  But yes, it is kind of sad.

Quote from: James StarRunner on September 11, 2008, 01:52:34 AM
P.S. My wife wants to let people know her fictional character is an angel as well and plans on adding more members of the angel race. :3

That's an interesting point.  If you're unlucky you could easily end up with a lot of Being children.  Would they all end up getting shipped off to the orphanage kind of like James was?  >:3
Heh... It's interesting to see that a few people thought of me right off the bat.

Me and my wife already figured out the kids our characters would have, even down to their personalities.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: James StarRunner on September 11, 2008, 01:16:01 PM
Me and my wife already figured out the kids our characters would have, even down to their personalities.

Heh. That'll work.

Not.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Alondro

*Charline disposes of her non-Cubi children in an efficient manner*  Burp...  >:3
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

Sunblink

Now this is interesting. I've been waiting for the Angel page. >:3 I need to keep this page in mind for my Angel characters.

I should probably cut down on the amount of Angels among my characters, since they seem to be a rarity in the DMFA-verse. :c Kudos to Amber for this. It's a good way to balance out the Angels and Demons, since they seem like two highly destructive forces. Overwhelming the number of either race would probably throw off the entire food chain, so to speak, of Furrae.

I think James can probably be credited with making the first Angel character on the forum, though. XD At least to my knowledge. Angel party!

Quote from: James StarRunner on September 11, 2008, 01:16:01 PM

Aw, can Keaton be the godmother? :3 I promise she won't kill them.

Naldru

The fact that Angels live about 1500 years would mean that the disappearance of the Angels would probably take over ten thousand years.  However, this wouldn't necessarily be a problem for the races with really long lifetimes such as the Dragons.

Just a thought about the previous comic with Destania.  She didn't say that the mysterious "they" were killing off cubi.  It could be that she felt that they would get around to destroying the cubi.  Perhaps the mysterious "they" were getting rid of the Angel race.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Brunhidden

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on September 11, 2008, 02:10:26 PM
Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on September 11, 2008, 01:27:16 PM

... yet.

she can godmother one of my children, however many of them i shall eventually crank out- guaranteed to be far more durable then the starrunner kids, although she may have to put up with infants ripping clumps of fur out with their tiny cute little claws

Tapewolf

... yet.

I was going to say "Keaton never harms children", but then I realised you probably meant she would kill them when they turned 25 or something  :rolleyes

Mao

Quote from: Tapewolf on September 11, 2008, 02:17:23 PM
... yet.

I was going to say "Keaton never harms children", but then I realised you probably meant she would kill them when they turned 25 or something  :rolleyes

Exactly!  There's not much sport in youngins.. but if you train 'em good, when they grow up they can be great fun.

James StarRunner

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 11, 2008, 02:15:13 PM
she can godmother one of my children, however many of them i shall eventually crank out- guaranteed to be far more durable then the starrunner kids, although she may have to put up with infants ripping clumps of fur out with their tiny cute little claws
I wonder what kind of mutant kids you would be having? My kids will act like perfect little angels. O:3

Jairus

Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Brunhidden

angels, yes, technically

mine, im not sure but they're durable and more then dangerous to give keats a run for her money

Tapewolf

Quote from: Mowser on September 11, 2008, 02:26:24 PM
Exactly!  There's not much sport in youngins.. but if you train 'em good, when they grow up they can be great fun.
At the risk of derailing the topic by talking about Keaton's story instead of Amber's, Keaton's clan - simply put - had a religion that venerated children as being innocent.  They tortured and murdered thousands (millions?) of adults, but killing children was utterly, totally forbidden.

Brunhidden

the question however is what happens to innocent children when the parents are dead? leaving the children alone is a death sentence, so i ponder if keaton just has a small hotel full of the hundreds of kids whose parents she slaughtered

James StarRunner

Quote from: Jairus on September 11, 2008, 02:34:19 PM
Conniving, manipulating schemers and plotters?
Actually, only one of them is and even then it's for somewhat innocent pranks. :P

Quote from: Brunhidden on September 11, 2008, 02:36:25 PM
angels, yes, technically

mine, im not sure but they're durable and more then dangerous to give keats a run for her money
Well you can make your babies adamantine golem warlords if you want. I'll just have fluffy little tricksters. :3

LionHeart

Quote from: Alondro on September 11, 2008, 01:25:12 PM
*Charline disposes of her non-Cubi children in an efficient manner*  Burp...  >:3
Cronus used that method, and it didn't work out too well...
"3x2(9yz)4a!"

"We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!"

I'm on deviantART.
Also FurAffinity

!KCA

Obviously, Azlan is slowly unconciously warping reality. If Neni can't have children, no angel can!

James StarRunner

Quote from: !KCA on September 12, 2008, 12:44:14 AM
Obviously, Azlan is slowly unconciously warping reality. If Neni can't have children, no angel can!
*puts out a few angel children into the world*

King Of Hearts

a slow sabotage is still possible... considering the lifespan of most creatures, granted their attention span is more similar to a being's.

O well hope to eventually some of em soon like how the Amazons showcased three different races themselves.

Ghostwish

Huh.. and here I was thinking it was a demonic plot of some kind.. I don't think the power-hungry and impatient folk would have the foresight to hatch a plot like that then. Maybe it really is the cubi. >:}

Or possibly even one of their own? HA! Fitting fate, plotting and manipulating the lives of so many others, only to be destroyed from within.