08/15/08 [Abel 2 #26] - What do you want?

Started by AndersW, August 14, 2008, 08:17:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lego3400

Quote from: Aleolus on August 15, 2008, 04:05:08 PM
Quote from: Brunhidden on August 15, 2008, 03:38:02 PM
my idea of what abel asks for- he asks for everyone to not be dead, to which Falina will make a nervous face and admit she cant do that
Or can she??  >.>  We don't know what abilities she has, maybe she has 20 levels of Cleric and can do True Resurrection on all the dead peoples  <.<

I wouldn't be surprised. WIldey is a Shamen and Dan is a Priest. Wouldn't surprise  me if she was a cleric.

Turnsky

Dan doesn't know the first thing about Magic, though.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

tiggertoo

Quote from: Turnsky on August 15, 2008, 08:37:04 PM

Oh, I wouldn't say that -- he knows magic can be very painful.  :B

Goatmon

The last two panels making me go

d'wwwwwwwwwww! ^_^

Mao

It's comics like this that really honestly contrast the Able of then to the Able of the more recent arcs.  The hair style, the timid deer-in-headlights nature of the guy.  It must've been quite the journey to turn someone around that much.  Though I suppose with a few hundred years it's not that hard to imagine that a person could change that substantially.

Jairus

Quote from: Mowser on August 16, 2008, 09:43:13 AM
It's comics like this that really honestly contrast the Able of then to the Able of the more recent arcs.  The hair style, the timid deer-in-headlights nature of the guy.  It must've been quite the journey to turn someone around that much.  Though I suppose with a few hundred years it's not that hard to imagine that a person could change that substantially.

I don't know who said it, but someone once talked about how Abel's future persona is more of a defense mechanism than anything, how his jerk act is designed to push people away before they can hurt him or before he can lose someone he cares for. Jyrras seems to know or have figured out that at one level or another it's all an act, and that Abel really is a nice guy under all of it. On the other hand, it could just be that since Abel's spent three-hundred and seventy five years being a jerk and only a thirteenth of that time being a nice friendly and open guy, he might not feel comfortable any more being that vulnerable. What's most telling to me is that Abel does seem to be grudgingly opening up a little bit to Dan and his friends. And of course, someone's probably already said all of that, but that's fine with me.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

lihua

In addition and full agreement to that, Abel has just been through a lot of trauma in a short period of time (stating the obvious, bear with me).  On normal days he may have had a sarcastic streak, maybe one of those "affectionately picking on you" attitudes though still a sensitive guy.  However, with time and experience he's probably taken a leaf out of Devin's book.  He doesn't want his emotions to distract him from seeing a situation clearly or give anyone an advantage over him.  All in all then it may not have been a drastic change - just got less "affectionate" and more "picking on you" in his interactions with people.  He may still be sensitive to what other people are feeling (aside from his cubi powers, I mean) but at the same time sees no reason to coddle them - as that may ultimately be doing them a disservice - or to give himself an overabundance of problems for their sake.

Jairus

I just thought of something... well, it's kind of been on the back of my mind for a while... Jyrras and Dan and the rest have no idea what Abel's gone through. Does anyone else get the feeling that this story's going to come out when he full time joins their circle of friends? I mean, he's kind of edged into their friendship and he's opening up a bit and they seem to accept him, but I have to wonder if he's going to tell this to them someday. Maybe not: he might not want to bother them with it. Then again, one of them might try to drag it out of him...

Which would be better for him in the long run?

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on August 16, 2008, 01:10:05 PM
I just thought of something... well, it's kind of been on the back of my mind for a while... Jyrras and Dan and the rest have no idea what Abel's gone through. Does anyone else get the feeling that this story's going to come out when he full time joins their circle of friends?
It was said - when the wallpaper war ran between Abel and Regina - that the one who lost would have their backstory appear in-strip anyway, but in a more lighthearted manner and without so much detail. I'd imagine that's true for Abel as well - after all, I heard some people find Abel's Story too dark and don't read it.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 16, 2008, 01:32:45 PM
Quote from: Jairus on August 16, 2008, 01:10:05 PM
I just thought of something... well, it's kind of been on the back of my mind for a while... Jyrras and Dan and the rest have no idea what Abel's gone through. Does anyone else get the feeling that this story's going to come out when he full time joins their circle of friends?
It was said - when the wallpaper war ran between Abel and Regina - that the one who lost would have their backstory appear in-strip anyway, but in a more lighthearted manner and without so much detail. I'd imagine that's true for Abel as well - after all, I heard some people find Abel's Story too dark and don't read it.
And that's another thing: I know that Fa'Lina had 375 years to help Abel out, but all-in-all he's recovered fairly well considering all of the horrible things that happened to him over that week or so (learning that his old babysitter committed suicide, Devin and those adventurers getting killed, learning what and who his Dad really is, seeing his best friend get sliced into pieces, his mom practically giving up hope of ever seeing him again... anything else I'm forgetting). I mean, sure he's a bit of a jerk, but he's really not a bad guy. Fa'Lina must really know what she's doing.

Incidentally, I also like that Modern Abel doesn't seem to be angsting/wangsting over his horrible past. He may still have problems, but he doesn't mention them every time he talks and – as you kind of mentioned – if it weren't for the fact that Amber is telling us his backstory, you'd never know all of those things happened to him. It's nice to see that in a character. Of course, he did have 375 years to get over it, but still...

There are people who don't read Abel's Story? Wow, that's too bad for them.

Lucheek

Therapy can help people in 20 years. I think 300+ years with Fa'Lina helped. She seems like a smart cookie. ;)

Tapewolf

Quote from: Jairus on August 16, 2008, 01:38:19 PM
Incidentally, I also like that Modern Abel doesn't seem to be angsting/wangsting over his horrible past. He may still have problems, but he doesn't mention them every time he talks and – as you kind of mentioned – if it weren't for the fact that Amber is telling us his backstory, you'd never know all of those things happened to him.
It's left him a very strange 'Cubi, though.  He eats, sleeps and hates changing his base form.  I still feel that he thinks of himself more as a sort of super-Being than a full-fledged incubus.

QuoteThere are people who don't read Abel's Story? Wow, that's too bad for them.
Quite.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Jairus

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 16, 2008, 02:13:29 PM
Incidentally, I also like that Modern Abel doesn't seem to be angsting/wangsting over his horrible past. He may still have problems, but he doesn't mention them every time he talks and – as you kind of mentioned – if it weren't for the fact that Amber is telling us his backstory, you'd never know all of those things happened to him.
It's left him a very strange 'Cubi, though.  He eats, sleeps and hates changing his base form.  I still feel that he thinks of himself more as a sort of super-Being than a full-fledged incubus.

Well, something like what happened that day would leave most people a little wary of what they are. Imagine if on the same day you learned you were a Cubi you saw one kill your best friend and beat up you mom, and then kidnap you. Doesn't matter how nice Fa'Lina is or how hard she works at it, that first impression would leave quite a mark behind. Oh, and to top it off, your Cubi power's awakening surprised your new friend enough that he lurched backwards and got killed. Not a nice combination there.

Pagan

Quote from: Tapewolf on August 16, 2008, 01:32:45 PM

So we'll get hear Regina's backstory? That's a bit nicer. I still wish I had a time machine and about two thousand dollars.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

SpottedKitty

if it weren't for the fact that Amber is telling us his backstory, you'd never know all of those things happened to him. It's nice to see that in a character. Of course, he did have 375 years to get over it, but still...

He's made a good recovery, probably thanks to Fa'lina, but I suspect Abel still hasn't completely got over what happened way back when. He just hides it very well, and never lets anyone see that sometimes it does get too much for him.
ENGLISH: A language that lurks in dark alleys, beats up other languages
and rifles through their pockets for spare vocabulary.

Jairus

Quote from: SpottedKitty on August 16, 2008, 04:42:53 PM

if it weren't for the fact that Amber is telling us his backstory, you'd never know all of those things happened to him. It's nice to see that in a character. Of course, he did have 375 years to get over it, but still...

He's made a good recovery, probably thanks to Fa'lina, but I suspect Abel still hasn't completely got over what happened way back when. He just hides it very well, and never lets anyone see that sometimes it does get too much for him.

On the plus side, now he's got some people who might not be considered his "friends" but are certainly friendly with him who can help him. Maybe it's just me (and maybe everyone else and their dog has already said this before I got here) but I'm guessing Abel didn't have many friends while he was at SAIA. Now, he's got Jyrras who has a crush on him but at the very least talks to him on a semi-regular basis, Dan who is half-heartedly trying to make inroads, Alexsi seems fairly accepting of him, and while he and Pyroduck have gotten off on the wrong foot Pyroduck doesn't seem to hold it against him. Now all Abel needs to do is realize that he has a "safety net" to catch him if he falls. Gods, that sounds so cheesy.

Alterationartist

Given a question like that with every available possiblity... I would have three words:

Dance Dance Revolution
Round 9!

tiggertoo

Quote from: Alterationartist on August 16, 2008, 08:13:28 PM
Given a question like that with every available possiblity... I would have three words:

Dance Dance Revolution

Fa'lina would be down with that -- after all, she puts on a great dance number: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_591.php

Jairus

Quote from: tiggertoo on August 16, 2008, 10:32:14 PM
Quote from: Alterationartist on August 16, 2008, 08:13:28 PM

Dance Dance Revolution

Fa'lina would be down with that -- after all, she puts on a great dance number: http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Vol_591.php

And it would provide a canon existence for this...
:ddrabel

Pagan

I wonder who put that thing together.... I know the Abels are all from his bananna phone wallpaper.
Oh that's awesome, the buttons have shadows on them when he stands on them... I'm gonna be staring at that thing now...
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

silentassassin

Not to mention Dan can wear his awesome ddr outfit. I'm sorry but he has never looked that cool.

AmigaDragon

Quote from: tiggertoo on August 15, 2008, 10:16:38 PM
Quote from: Turnsky on August 15, 2008, 08:37:04 PM

Oh, I wouldn't say that -- he knows magic can be very painful.  :B

Yes he does.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen