The Thrill of the Chase RP OOC (closed)

Started by Paladin Sheppard, August 03, 2008, 02:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

llearch n'n'daCorna

tech, isn't this closed at present?

So... would you be suggesting said AI doesn't show up until we lose some other players, or something? And what do we do with the current AI on the ship? Have your beginner AI remove it somehow, when it's been around for a while and is, one hopes, at least somewhat used to what goes on in the ship - and The Capn and Eph used to it? And, one presumes the rest of the crew, by that time?

Obviously it's not my call, I'm just saying...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

I've actually been going back and forth with Paladin for awhile now, and the way he's been making it out is that he'd let me in--if I could come up with something that he won't reject. So far, I've been unsuccessful, which has frustrated me immensely.
Now, instead of conversing over PMs, I've just decided to go through this in the OOC instead.

And an AI already on the Thrill? I was under the impression it didn't have one yet...does it? If so, that nips my whole idea right then and there... :mowsad

llearch n'n'daCorna

.. What did you think Captain Williams and Eph were using last time they were out in the black?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2008, 08:02:37 PM
.. What did you think Captain Williams and Eph were using last time they were out in the black?
Um...what? :B

Boog

Tech, as I recall Pal had some rather particular things to say on the subject of robotic or otherwise synthetic organisms in his RP, not the least of which being "None. No exceptions."

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Boogeyman on October 15, 2008, 11:31:29 PM
Tech, as I recall Pal had some rather particular things to say on the subject of robotic or otherwise synthetic organisms in his RP, not the least of which being "None. No exceptions."
Eh? I don't recall that as strictly necessary, and in the conversations and previous submissions I've been sending personally to him, I think he would have said that to me already if he meant it.

The only problem I've been having is finding something that actually fits in his strict and rigid framework.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 15, 2008, 09:45:05 PM
Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on October 15, 2008, 08:02:37 PM
Um...what? :B

The Captain and Ephrael have been out searching before, right? Into the depths of space, yes?

What do you think they had on their ship last time they went out? A hamster-wheel or something?

Paladin Sheppard

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on October 16, 2008, 12:02:00 AM
Quote from: Boogeyman on October 15, 2008, 11:31:29 PM
Eh? I don't recall that as strictly necessary, and in the conversations and previous submissions I've been sending personally to him, I think he would have said that to me already if he meant it.

The only problem I've been having is finding something that actually fits in his strict and rigid framework.

Techmaster I did tell you that I was after 'people' who were new to the profession. I'm sorry if I made it unclear I was after flesh and blood human/alien beings and not robotic or AIs.

And yes the 'Thrill of the Chase' does have an AI aboard its just no one has met her/it yet.

As for this being a strict and ridgid framework I don't think it is at all there are lots of variations you cane make ina human/alien character.

techmaster-glitch

Ah. Okay. Fortunately, I've got one last idea, I just wanted try this first.

techmaster-glitch

TO BE UNDERGOING REVISION:

Hokay. Gots a profile done up, and I'm very confident this one should succeed where the others have failed. You have suggested I be a drone swarm operator, so I've gone with that (even though I'm still -extremely- annoyed you wouldn't let me simply subtract the human). Yes, it does have my own twist to it, but if you can cut me just a leetle slack, it can't be a problem.
Really, being an alien would be a bigger departure than this. Not to mention the fact that this comes with a self-imposed handicap.

Name: Jack Ridgrey
Species/race/Birth Planet: Human, some backwater colony
Sex: Male

S: 4
P: 7
E: 4
C: 5
I: 8
A: 7
L : 5
Trait: Cybernetics: Neural Implant--Experimental Remote Drone Neuro-Interface (no bonus, see below)

Appearance: Fairly average build, on the tall-ish and lanky side. Messy black hair, covering up some patches of metal and circuitry. PENDING REMOVAL: He seems to have a permanent wince, grimace, or cringe on his face, as if everything is distasteful to him...or he is suffering some kind of pain.

Clothing: Basic civvie clothes: T-shirt and shorts.

History:PENDING REVISION: Jack grew up in a colony on the butt-end of nowhere. When he was old enough and worked up enough cash, he bought passage to a well-established core world. There he drifted around, barely making any money anywhere and almost falling into homeless poverty. Eventually, he noticed an ad from a facility for a large corporation nearby, looking for willing test subjects for some cybernetics experiments. Intrigued (mostly because it offered a fairly healthy sum), he applied for it. After signing a contract (without actually reading it), they put him into a project investigating advanced control systems for common drone swarms to improve efficiency. They planned to create a direct mind-integration of a drone swarm, essentially making them extensions of a person. Jack's set of six functional multi-purpose drones were keyed to the implants, and the surgery commenced.
   The operation was a little more horrific than Jack had expected. However, it did go off without a hitch. And at first, it seemed to be a success; he could 'feel' and control the drones almost as if they were a part of him. However, something wasn't right. Almost immediately, he was wracked with a rather nasty headache. He was given medication, but it did nothing. Several days went by, with Jack hardly getting any sleep, for the pain refused to subside. Eventually, due to corporate bureaucracy, a corrupt executive, several extenuating circumstances, and mostly the 'guinea pig' contract, he realized that he was not going to be paid (at least, not in a timely manner), and they were going to keep him for further experiments.
   Alarmed, in pain, and panicking, Jack fled the facility. He dodged around the planet for awhile, trying to lose their trail. Using the last money he had, he eventually managed to bribe his way onto a cargo ship, and eventually dropped off on another planet. He tried to rid himself of the drones during this time, but when he shut one off, he literally felt a hole appear in his mind and memory. He reactivated it and did not shut down any more.
   Now penniless, he's been trying to simply survive from day to day. While he's able to somewhat provide for his own food, a bit better than a hobo thanks to his drones, he had no choice but to turn to burglary once for bottles of sleeping pills, as he now has severe insomnia thanks to the endless migraine (though he isn't even entirely free of it in sleep), and the pills are the only thing that give him rest. He knows the corporation will pick up his trail eventually unless he moves again, and then he'll be in real trouble. When he heard that there was a salvage vessel looking for crew on the planet, Jack starts trying to contact the captain to see if he can get some sort of position, as both a way to earn money and to slip away from the corporation.
   And this time, he'll read the goddamn fine print on his contract.

Drone and Interface: PENDING REVISION: The drones themselves are fairly ordinary; just multi-purpose drones equipped with several varied machining/electronics tools, two spindly manipulator arms, and one small defensive pulse laser each.
   The thing about the interface is that it actually works perfectly; Jexx receives all sensor input from the drones as if they were his own eyes and ears, and he controls them as if they were part of his own body. His mind, thanks to the circuitry in each drone, has actually been slightly expanded and accelerated to accommodate these changes. The problem is that the human mind was just not meant to control more bodies than its own. The strain from doing so is what is causing Jack's 24/7 headache. He can't shut them down, because in his mind 'expanding', some portions are now using the circuitry in the drones for 'operating space'. Shutting them down (or them being destroyed) decreases his mental capacity. Normally, the drones are all just floating along behind him when he tries not to actively control them, because it requires the least concentration. Not that focus and concentration are a problem; when he does direct them, he can make them work together, actively performing real-time maneuvers, teamwork, and intelligent tactics unmatched by any standard drone control systems or programs. However, while the concentration itself is no difficulty at all, it does come with a price; the more he concentrates, the worse his headache gets. If he uses one of the aforementioned high-concentration advanced tactics, such as in a scenario of fighting a capable enemy, he is hit with an utterly incapacitating spike in head pain.
   If one of the drones is actually destroyed, it can be rebuilt by the others, as Jack was provided with their schematics in his head. Even if there is only one left, and Jack will be quite mentally regressed by then, others can still be rebuilt But if all of them are scrapped...Jack is done for.

Skills: TO BE IMPROVED: Unless you count his ability to control the drones and what they can do, none.

Note: PENDING DELETION: He will be trying to apply for the position of 'security detail' on the Thrill. He can set them to individually patrol around the ship.

Paladin Sheppard

Not to be too blunt Tech but you see that closed tag on the IC topic? There for a reason I stated in the beginning of this OOC.

I can however make suggestions to you via PM to make 'Jack' acceptable come the time when I do open the RP to new characters.

And if you are annoyed by the rather simple (IMHO) why are you trying to join?

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on October 17, 2008, 04:48:04 AM
Not to be too blunt Tech but you see that closed tag on the IC topic? There for a reason I stated in the beginning of this OOC.
*sigh* Yes, but with all the conversations we've been having, you've been making it sound like you'd let me in now if I could find something you wouldn't reject, as I said earlier. However, waiting is fine. As long as I've finally got an acceptable character, I can do that. I just wish you would have clarified this earlier.

I can however make suggestions to you via PM to make 'Jack' acceptable come the time when I do open the RP to new characters.
Yes, please do, that would be nice. And I'm, of course, assuming that means Jack is 'accepted'.

And if you are annoyed by the rather simple (IMHO) why are you trying to join?
Aside from the fact that I was referring specifically to one of my earlier submissions, yes, this whole process has been rather frustrating all around. So why am I so dead-set on getting in? Simple.
   Including this, there are now only three running sci-fi RPs, and only two of them are spacefaring. I am already in the first space one (though with characters I'm less-than-pleased with), and I don't want to miss out on this one.

EDIT: Profile now has all to-be-revised sections blanked out, and may be undergoing some major overhauls.

Paladin Sheppard

Just thought I'd make a post regarding some of the acronyms I've been using.

UNSC: United Nations Space Command. The civilian/military governing body of human controlled space. Is responsible for civilian colonies and space stations. 

UNSF: United Nations Space Fleet. The military arm of the UNSC. Has four branches: Navy, Marines, Army and Colonial Marshals (ie civilian police force)

2ic: 2nd in Command

Do you wish to know more?

llearch n'n'daCorna

I wish people to know that the webpage is updated. Specifically, there's now a supply list linked at the bottom.

Said list is probably going to grow a glossary, and possibly some additional prices if Pal supplies them. And additional hardware, I expect.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Hrm. I've updated my post, because it occurred to me that Johnny would treat Nova like a person; expect to say "thank you" for the assistance, that sort of thing.

Nova not sticking around for it is Nova's problem, but Johnny is polite.

... Unlike Witt. *cough*

Paladin Sheppard

Who said shes gone llearch? >:3

Considering she has the ships sensors at her disposal....

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, sure. _I_ know that, but it's a matter of, if she's not _visibly_ there, unless there's a need, consider her not present.

It's polite, you know. Not talking to people when they're not there, and all. Plus it plays into people's reactions to people, which is what the AI should be working with, not AI-AI comms, which run under a totally different protocol.

Someone walking away while you're talking to them is considered rude in many circles... ;-] I'm presuming that Johnny will get a chance to say hi to Nova later.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Cog:

You haven't said how tall your raccoon conman is. I've presumed somewhat shorter than Johnny's 170cm, which makes him a lot shorter than Pandora's 190cm, but I'm not sure where that puts him with Ephrael's 150cm and Celine's 137cm...

Not important now, but I've listed him as "short" and left it vague; it'd be nice to know later, since it'll help with some of the sideline comparison comments we can throw around to fill in space. ;-]

Malakin

Hmm, looks like a sweet RP!

Would be intrested in joining if/when the RP opens again :)
"The only limit to my freedom is the inevitable closure of the
universe, as inevitable as your own last breath. And yet,
there remains time to create, to create, and escape.

Escape will make me God.
"

techmaster-glitch

Hey there, malakin! It's been awhile since you've showed up around here :3

Malakin

Yeah, I'm a bit of a lurker ;)

Been waiting for a cool Sci-fi RP to join, they are all Full it seems, or at least all the ones I have had time to read through are :F

Escape will make me God.
"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Paladin Sheppard

I'd like to think so but after 3 weeks....

Malakin

Damn, anything i show intrest in tends to die ;P

Escape will make me God.
"

Paladin Sheppard

In case anyone is wondering what the contact entails it was posted earlier when Ephrael explained it to Jaes.

Paladin Sheppard

Just a short poll up guys as I am thinking about opening the RP to new members. Sadly these thoughts have come about due the fact that this RP crawls along and some fresh blood might help.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I'm not sure that specifically two or three slots would be what we need.

What we need is some activity on the part of the players who want to play. That might not involve anyone new at all...

Lisky

as i said earlier, if you need someone new, i'll gladly join, as it seems that my own RP has kinda died... i'll probably try again later if i've got time then... but as is, if you need someone new, i've got a plethora of characters that could be fairly easily adapted to the game, as for active, my schedule works out pretty nice since i can use a laptop in pretty much every class when i get bored (it happens a lot too... bio chem, econ, anatomy, and history are not the greatest of subjects to take at the same time especially when you can't understand half the words coming from the anatomy and econ profs. mouths)

I support the demon race (usually with my hands)!   Also... LOOK A DISTRACTION! -->

Azlan

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 28, 2009, 06:54:11 PM
Just a short poll up guys as I am thinking about opening the RP to new members. Sadly these thoughts have come about due the fact that this RP crawls along and some fresh blood might help.

That's easy to accomplish, just stab someone... instant fresh blood.  Unless they are undead... then its instant stale blood... unless...
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Paladin Sheppard

Quote from: Azlan on January 28, 2009, 09:19:16 PM
Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on January 28, 2009, 06:54:11 PM

That's easy to accomplish, just stab someone... instant fresh blood.  Unless they are undead... then its instant stale blood... unless...

Well thanks for volunteering Azzy >:3 *stabs the Azlan*