Poke Poke

Started by Lucheek, July 28, 2008, 09:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucheek

I was re-reading all of DMFA, and I notice some things that are in a bit of conflict with eachother:

First:
This strip and This strip.

Is this just a "It's old and no longer cannon" thing, or does Jyrras just not know about acessible portals to go from universe to universe? And can anybody go through these "Deminsional Gates?" If so, why have only Fae and Dragon used them? o-o

Secondly:
This strip and the fact that Mab's daugter Rose is Human-based? How can something be "unreal" when you raised it for...err...however long Fae childhood lasts. Or, does she just think her daughter looks Fantasy-and-Unreal?

Jairus

For the first part, if I recall everyone thought that Merlitz was either lying or hallucinating, which is why he ended up at Lost Lake. Besides, that story took place before he met Jyrras and the rest of the gang, so he might not have told them. And the gates might open and close at random, but you're right in saying that those are the earlier strips: Amber might not have had everything set in stone at that point, but I'm not quite certain about that.

For the second, I think that Mab didn't count her daughter because Rose isn't human: she's a human-shaped Fae, but not human. As for the unreal part, Rose mentions that she could have set herself to their dimension's standards, but decided to keep her human look: Mab seems to have spent quite some time - in fact most of it probably - in or around Furrae, so she might not be used to seeing real humans.

Well, there's my two cents.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

Lucheek

Quote from: Jairus on July 28, 2008, 09:57:57 PM
For the first part, if I recall everyone thought that Merlitz was either lying or hallucinating, which is why he ended up at Lost Lake. Besides, that story took place before he met Jyrras and the rest of the gang, so he might not have told them. And the gates might open and close at random, but you're right in saying that those are the earlier strips: Amber might not have had everything set in stone at that point, but I'm not quite certain about that.

For the second, I think that Mab didn't count her daughter because Rose isn't human: she's a human-shaped Fae, but not human. As for the unreal part, Rose mentions that she could have set herself to their dimension's standards, but decided to keep her human look: Mab seems to have spent quite some time - in fact most of it probably - in or around Furrae, so she might not be used to seeing real humans.

Well, there's my two cents.
I thought Merlitz was telling the truth...but I guess he could be  hallucinating or something.

Jairus

Quote from: Lucheek on July 29, 2008, 11:12:47 AM
Quote from: Jairus on July 28, 2008, 09:57:57 PM
I thought Merlitz was telling the truth...but I guess he could be  hallucinating or something.

No no no. What I was saying is that everyone in his party thought that he was hallucinating, and they made him take a break because they thought his nerves were frayed or something like that. It might very well have been a real human that Merlitz met, we just don't know. So, most people in-universe thought that he was mistaken, but us out here in the real world are fairly certain that he met a real human.
Erupting Burning Sekiha Hell and Heaven Tenkyoken Tatsumaki Zankantō!!
NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS! - Amber Williams
"And again I say unto you: bite me." - Harry Dresden
You'll catch crap no matter what sort of net you throw out - Me

tiggertoo

Merlitz was quite certain he'd met a human also -- his old adventuring group just used it as an excuse to kick him out (as we found out while Abel was disguised as Merlitz at the Inn) - though they probably did think he was going a bit funny in the head.

I don't know if everyone at the Inn knows about Merlitz meeting the human, but Dan knows -- that's why he had to go say hi to Merlitz when he had the human patch on.  :mwaha

However, Dan was one very strange looking human with the patch - and he still had his wings. Perhaps that was what Mab felt was a bit too fantasy and unreal to her.

As to the Dimensional Gate thingie -- Amber probably just used it as a convenient disposable plot device at the time. As far as moving between dimensions in the canon strip - I'd figure it takes some considerable mojo to do it, thus why Fae and dragons can manage it. Though others can create gates to other dimensional planes -- that's how they get Warp Aci after all. So, I dunno.

Pagan

Bah, Merlitz just thought of a really good story to tell the girl he was with during a date and the story stuck. Even his adventuring buddies go along with the joke.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

AmigaDragon

Quote from: tiggertoo on July 29, 2008, 12:59:17 PM
Merlitz was quite certain he'd met a human also -- his old adventuring group just used it as an excuse to kick him out (as we found out while Abel was disguised as Merlitz at the Inn) - though they probably did think he was going a bit funny in the head.

As they admitted here. If it weren't for Dice wanting to make room on the team for his girlfriend, they might have let Merlitz's story slide. But I guess we'll never know.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen