Mystiqe

:3

oh look, more edits<3

HAY GUYS, I FINISHEDD

http://mad-cheshire.deviantart.com/art/Fallen-What-of-Angels-91383015

end edit

~
EDITS PLEASE

I got the freaking wings done XD; its offical tho, i hate feathers. What do you guys think?

END EDIT PLZ

k so, im working on a comic project to get me into cellshading. and I was wondering if anyone could help me figure out where i should put shadows on the wings ? thats the main part. I'm trying to figure out myself, but we'll see how we'll that fairs lol

LIGHTER VERSION

lightsorce is coming from the upper left btw

Fragmaster01

Remember that the feathers are large clumps of wing in this style, so the shadow should run up the right side of each feather to about halfway up the wing(getting narrower as it goes up), then a shadow cast on the wing on the left by the wingpart in front, then a general gradientshade from darkgrey to black on the inner part of the wing on the left, and the whole wing on the right.

Mystiqe

More specifically i want to know the places by seeing them xD;;;

im kinda not smart that way, telling me usually doesnt help *lol*

oh, lighter version uploading right now btw

GabrielsThoughts

I'm not really good with shading myself. Personally,  I don't like to lose details either, and I liked the second one better for details.
   clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

Sunblink

I think you have general shadow placement down pat - granted, wings tend to be really difficult. A while back, I drew and colored a picture for Zedd, and his character has black wings. So you can imagine all the fun I had with shading those, especially with an extremely dark and mostly-obsolete monitor.

I digress. :B

I really love your shading and coloring style. The colors are bright and vibrant, and really insinuates this sort of shiny texture which I really, really love. I normally hate shading with colored shadows, but if all my pictures with colored shadows could turn out the way your picture did, I'd color more of my pictures that way. Love the hair, too. Since your biggest concern is with the wings, I'll probably pick this apart a little, although I really hate working out shadow placement as well. I really do think you did a good job with the wings so far. It really makes me envious that you managed to make the feathers look so sleek and oily - actually, this sort of reminds me of Amber's coloring style with the wings, particularly as she's demonstrated in some of her DMFA cast pictures. Good job.

Anyway, you probably already know this, but the trick with shading is to place the shadows opposite of where the light is coming from. Such as in the case of your character's arm: the light source is originating from above, so the shadow should be underneath the arm, where the light can't reach. ...You've already done that, though, so I don't see any problems. c: I'm not so good at shading when a light source is at an angle other than directly above. Anyway, as far as your wings go, I can't see anything objectionable or reality-defying.

I colored and shaded a picture of some wings for somebody, but that was done for a commission. If I had that person's permission, I would post the picture here as an example of how shading wings works, just in case you need any more coaching. But to be honest, I'm not an expert and I still have a lot to learn. :B This is just me trying to be helpful and possibly coming across as pretentious.

Actually, I'd really like to see a coloring tutorial from you at some point, because, like I said, I really wish I could shade and color my pictures as brightly as you do. I CAN BE YOUR APPRENTICE :O

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mystiqe

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 11, 2008, 04:34:06 PM

Actually, I'd really like to see a coloring tutorial from you at some point, because, like I said, I really wish I could shade and color my pictures as brightly as you do. I CAN BE YOUR APPRENTICE :O

Well Keaton, I sorta used a whole bunch of techniques, mostly involving a hard round brush, lasso, and gradient tool. but if you're wanting a more in depth explanation, feel free to contact me at mysticlights[AT]hotmail[DOT]com <:

since i am selfish and too lazy to make a tutorial <:

Sunblink

Quote from: Mystiqe on July 11, 2008, 06:23:05 PM

Well Keaton, I sorta used a whole bunch of techniques, mostly involving a hard round brush, lasso, and gradient tool. but if you're wanting a more in depth explanation, feel free to contact me at mysticlights[AT]hotmail[DOT]com <:

Gradient tool? I've never used that for shading before.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice! :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

Mystiqe

Quote from: Keaton the Black Jackal on July 11, 2008, 07:16:28 PM
Quote from: Mystiqe on July 11, 2008, 06:23:05 PM

Gradient tool? I've never used that for shading before.

I'll give that a try. Thanks for the advice! :)

~Keaton the Black Jackal

For how i used the gradient tool, check out Kuitsuku's tutorial on DA :3