06/09/08 [DMFA #913] - No goons left

Started by Reese Tora, June 09, 2008, 03:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Wanderer on June 09, 2008, 04:51:52 PM
Quote from: Ren Gaulen on June 09, 2008, 04:49:08 AM
"You see a man. He has swords for arms, swords for legs, some swords grafted onto his back, and he is holding a sword which could depopulate India in a week. Roll initiative."
So where does that come from?
I'm not sure, but probably from this picture. But I have no idea where that picture came from. I heard it was from "Battle Angel Alita".

Ry

Quote from: Fox on June 09, 2008, 04:28:33 PM
I want a Death Knight plushie. :3

And I'm pretty sure Aliyka knows Dan's gender. I mean..unless she was stating something else(since there was no comma), she did say "mister". >.>

Makes you wonder what was going through Dan's mind that he couldn't have just simply said "I am not a guard."

"Why do people keep head klunking me?!"     He did get knocked out earlier- that might've been the last straw that gave him a concussion.   ;)

King Of Hearts

one is an undead, one is a dragon... what will the third amazon be?

terrycloth

Ren Gaulen

shadowterm

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 09, 2008, 12:12:46 PM
:blink Oh...my gods. I liked these things the first time I saw them, and now I absolutely love them. Constructs of any kind make me very happy :mowhappy And you know what? I think I really am going to make them for real...

I'm going to write up stat sheets and use them in my still-running Eberron campaign! :mwaha
My coke tastes like joy now. I hate you. (not word for word, but I figure if I'm not drinking tea, I can change the rest a little too.)
/)//w//(\

Rafe

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 09, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
Well, people don't die instantly (unless it's head pulverization..),

Sure they do!  People ALWAYS die instantly.  Think about it.

You're alive... you're alive...and then you're dead - instantly.
Rafe

DarkAudit

Death Knight?

Amber got into the WotLK Alpha?!?  :mowdizzy
The power and the glory is over, so I'll take it.
The power and the glory is over, so I'll make it.
The power and the glory is over, and I'll break it.
The power and the glory is over....

Psaakyrn

Quote from: Rafe on June 09, 2008, 09:08:11 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 09, 2008, 03:38:53 AM
Well, people don't die instantly (unless it's head pulverization..),

Sure they do!  People ALWAYS die instantly.  Think about it.

You're alive... you're alive...and then you're dead - instantly.

Though when you consider it, death is hard to define to begin with eitherways.. (see example: clinicall death)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

shadowterm

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 09, 2008, 09:59:34 PM

Though when you consider it, death is hard to define to begin with eitherways.. (see example: clinicall death)

I consider it the process of the brain shutting down and dying, which can be a slow process. The senses slowly blacking out, and awareness leaving the body. And then you don't wake up. :)
/)//w//(\

Psaakyrn

Quote from: shadowterm on June 09, 2008, 10:33:24 PM
Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 09, 2008, 09:59:34 PM

I consider it the process of the brain shutting down and dying, which can be a slow process. The senses slowly blacking out, and awareness leaving the body. And then you don't wake up. :)

But you won't know you don't wake up until it's too late, and that definition doesn't apply to Furre anyway, since undeads do wake up..

shadowterm

well yes, the undead do. This would involve what I like to think of as a re-boot. Think of it as your life flashing before your eyes backwards
/)//w//(\

Rafe

Well, changes might be gradual, but however you define it, there is one point in time where you meet that definition, and by that definition you go from alive to dead - instantly. 

Talking about dying slowly though, brought back a rhyme I heard when I was a kid:

The old dog was dying by inches,
And dying by inches is hard.
So, we took him out in the alley,
And let him die by the yard. 

Morbid, but funny.
Rafe

Aleolus

O.O  Ummm, Anna?  You might not want to turn around any time soon, just let Dan and Hennya deal with that rather big-looking creature behind you.

AmigaDragon

How is Hennya going to be of any help? She's been dead over 350 years.
Ok, ok, so you meant Hanna. :mowwink

I wonder, are Death Knights intelligent enough to know whether someone belongs or not, or do the guards and such wear some special amulet or other item that prevents the DK from treating them like non-employees?
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Psaakyrn

Quote from: AmigaDragon on June 10, 2008, 12:42:39 AM
How is Hennya going to be of any help? She's been dead over 350 years.
Ok, ok, so you meant Hanna. :mowwink

I wonder, are Death Knights intelligent enough to know whether someone belongs or not, or do the guards and such wear some special amulet or other item that prevents the DK from treating them like non-employees?

Considering that death knights are constructs, they may be an extension of DK's awareness. They are most likely not sentient though, unless DK plans on breaking the life creation rulings...

Reese Tora

Quote from: Rafe on June 09, 2008, 11:59:23 PM
Well, changes might be gradual, but however you define it, there is one point in time where you meet that definition, and by that definition you go from alive to dead - instantly. 

But the definition of dead is, itself, a shifting target.  What was considered dead in the past is now the threshold at which you can be saved, and as medical science advances, the threshold retreats.  I don't think it will ever be destroyed, people will always die, of old age if nothing else.

*recalls a news story of a lady that was dead for atleast 8 hours, but they kept her on the medical equipment in case the family decided to donate her organs... to keep them fresh.  She just woke up and started living again.*

Of course, that had nothing to do with medical scence applied to bring her back so much as a lot of luck, but it makes my point none the less.
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Tapewolf

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 10, 2008, 02:13:33 AM
Considering that death knights are constructs, they may be an extension of DK's awareness. They are most likely not sentient though, unless DK plans on breaking the life creation rulings...

From DP's cast page:
Quirks/Fun Facts: The Death Knights are an undead race Dark Pegasus controlled, and one of the only undead forces without free-will.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Psaakyrn on June 10, 2008, 02:13:33 AM

It's possible that they're the reason the rulings exist...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

techmaster-glitch

Quote from: Tapewolf on June 10, 2008, 04:06:32 AM
From DP's cast page:
Quirks/Fun Facts: The Death Knights are an undead race Dark Pegasus controlled, and one of the only undead forces without free-will.
N...n...not...constructs?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! 'A' 'A' 'A'

PurpleCheeseLlama

Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 10, 2008, 01:03:25 PM
Quote from: Tapewolf on June 10, 2008, 04:06:32 AM
From DP's cast page:

Awww, you crushed his dreams :<

Rafe

Quote from: Reese Tora on June 10, 2008, 03:05:59 AM
Quote from: Rafe on June 09, 2008, 11:59:23 PM

But the definition of dead is, itself, a shifting target.  What was considered dead in the past is now the threshold at which you can be saved, and as medical science advances, the threshold retreats.
Sure, it can change, but pick your standard, and for any given time and definition, you're either "alive" or "dead". 
*recalls a news story of a lady that was dead for atleast 8 hours, but they kept her on the medical equipment in case the family decided to donate her organs... to keep them fresh.  She just woke up and started living again.*

Of course, that had nothing to do with medical scence applied to bring her back so much as a lot of luck, but it makes my point none the less.

I never said you couldn't go back from "dead" to "alive".  My point was that at any given time, if you have a definition of "dead" you're either one or the other.
Rafe

Naldru

Ah, semantics.  If you can change the definitions of the words, you can do anything while accomplishing nothing.

Are we now following the rules of the Red Queen, who argued that words should mean what she intended them to mean, nothing more and nothing less.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Rafe

All true.
But I'm not arguing definitions.  The definition of death you choose has nothing to do with my point  All I'm saying is, whichever one you pick, it either applies, or it doesn't.
Rafe

Reese Tora

Quote from: PurpleCheeseLlama on June 10, 2008, 05:30:24 PM
Quote from: techmaster-glitch on June 10, 2008, 01:03:25 PM

Awww, you crushed his dreams :<
Somehow, somewhere, a 'cubi is no longer hungry. >:3
Quote from: Rafe on June 10, 2008, 07:29:31 PM
I never said you couldn't go back from "dead" to "alive".  My point was that at any given time, if you have a definition of "dead" you're either one or the other.

Fair enough, though I would say that it's integral to the definition of death, in the real world sense, that someone who is dead- not just clinically, but fully dead, has reached a state from which there is no return, or atleast from which medical science has no record of successful ressucitation.  This is an elusive target.

As with many things in life, while the threshold itself isn't easily found, it's usually pretty easy to classify on which side of it most things are, and I'll concede that much to you. :P
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Slowtini

I think Dan's going to need to change his robes.

Naldru

If I put enough grains of sand on a table, it becomes a heap.  Are you arguing that no matter what my definition of a heap, the grouping of sand grains either is or isn't a heap?  In that case, wouldn't there have to be some point where adding one grain of sand would make something that is less than a heap into a heap of sand.  (I believe that this was discussed by Aristotle.)

There are some things, such as ethical versus unethical, good versus evil, beauty versus ugly, etc., where there are no easy distinctions,

I don't think that doctors believe that there is a firm definition of death.  They just keep working until the patient is restored to a degree of health or is unequivocally dead.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AmigaDragon

That's one of those things where the definition leaves a fuzzy or gray boundary between the two states. Is it a heap or not? How thick can you make soup before it becomes stew? How much color and flavor can you add to water before you call it coffee, tea or whatever instead of colored water? Lots of times, it's up to personal interpretation
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen