23/05/08 [DMFA #907] - Destroy You

Started by Tapewolf, May 23, 2008, 05:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sirius Griffon

You know, I'll admit, before this strip the girl was somewhere down n my bottom five charries because with all of the 'love and peace' thing she reminded me of a certain Gundam Wing charrie I dislike immensely. But... seeing this strip certainly makes you appreciate she just might a bit more layered than thought.

Seriously, this was a surprise I so did not see coming. Kudos! :3

TheCrazyMeerkat

Must... resist... D8 face...

I love Dan's logic. As long as you can still feel pain, you're not dead yet. :)

I wonder how they're going to get her to calm down? Or at least get away? [>>;] She's a giant enraged feline. Even in just words that sounds bad.

shadowterm

I'm not amazed, Dan always did have a high tolerance for pain, something required in the adventuring field. I look at pain like a warning light. Annoying, but if you make sure nothings broken, your conscience will let you ignore it.
/)//w//(\

Brunhidden

Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 02:05:15 AM
Dan always did have a high tolerance for pain, something required in the adventuring field.

i would assume you mean he acquired it HERE

QuoteSometimes it is harder to deprive oneself of a pain than of a pleasure.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Naldru

Quote from: Brunhidden on May 25, 2008, 08:06:47 AM
Quote from: shadowterm on May 25, 2008, 02:05:15 AM
Dan always did have a high tolerance for pain, something required in the adventuring field.

i would assume you mean he acquired it HERE

QuoteSometimes it is harder to deprive oneself of a pain than of a pleasure.
I didn't see a link, but I assume that you are referring to such things as Dan and Jyrras jumping off a cliff and wanting to do it again, Dan being attacked (in a friendly way) by Jyrras's sisters, Alexsis's baku hammer, Dan having a group of Amazons fall on top of him, Dan being hit over the head by a bat when he was captured by DP's minions, etc.  (I'll link them up to strips later.)

And don't forget his various meetings with Pip.

The other examples that I can think of would be after this flashback.

Edit:

To Brunhidden:

I understand your response now.  However, Dan is showing a high tolerance for pain at the start of this adventure, and it would not be reasonable to believe that the pain tolerance shown at the beginning of the adventure was developed during the adventure.

It is not unusual for parents to influence the choice of schools for their children.  Can you imagine the kind of school that Destania would consider suitable for toughening up little Dan.  It would probably make Parris Island look like the Magic Kingdom at Disneyland.

By the way, do you think that it's possible that Aliyka is related to Ky of Cross Time Cafe?

Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Brunhidden

no, i meant here, now, the time spent adventuring that toughened him up is about to be inflicted uppon him in a very loud and violent fashion.

not every word thats capitalized is a link

Ren Gaulen

I am not sure if you will find it humorous, but I had to make it.
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/hh121/RentheKnight/RetreatHastily.png
The "Violence" line came from here. Also, I had to change Hannah's expression so it would fit with her lines.

Naldru

I once read that there was a group of Apache that believed in peaceful coexistence with their enemies.  However, every once in a while one of their neighbors would manage to annoy them with various raids until they couldn't take it any more.  At which point they would put on their war paint and wipe out the offender.  They would then go back to their normal peaceful existence.  It was many years again, and I don't remember which group was the topic of the actual discussion.

By the way, Aliyka does not appear to be bipolar, since that refers to cycling between manic and depressive stages.  I don't think I've ever seen a depressed Aliyka.  This appears to be more of an inappropriate aggression response. 

Edit:

Aggression in this type of situation is not unreasonable.  It's who she is exhibiting the aggression towards that is inappropriate.  Attacking everybody is not reasonable because it means that everybody will display aggression towards you.

The United States declaring war after the attack on Pearl Harbor was not unreasonable aggression.  Declaring war on Mexico and the Soviet Union the day after Pearl Harbor would have been unreasonable aggression.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

llearch n'n'daCorna

I disagree.

I think it's perfectly appropriate aggression.

Remember, she's in a totally different area, with totally different rules. Under those rules, her aggression is perfectly appropriate; it wouldn't be right in modern western society, but for where she is, it's totally appropriate, right, and correct.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Ted Schiller

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on May 25, 2008, 04:15:32 PM
I disagree.

I think it's perfectly appropriate aggression.

Remember, she's in a totally different area, with totally different rules. Under those rules, her aggression is perfectly appropriate; it wouldn't be right in modern western society, but for where she is, it's totally appropriate, right, and correct.

Yep.  :)  The problem is she thinks Dan is a guard in a place she traveled to as a diplomat, only to get locked up in the dungeon.  The proper response is to make them sorry they ever were born.  Her queen sure sent the right person.  :)

With regards,
Ted

AmigaDragon

She may (or may not) be eloquent regardless of which form she has, but she certainly isn't very observant when angry, continuing to think Dan is a guard. I was thinking the dress should help dispell that idea but then remembered that the two guards we've seen so far (one of whom Dan headbonked) were both female and... umm... was that phoenix or gryphon? I'm not sure what features differentiate them (I'm not counting Aliyka's flashback, because I think that's a death knight, not a mere guard).
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

TheAuldGrump

Nice to see you could make it to the party, Ms. Hyde.

The Auld Grump

Slowtini

*throws catnip mousey at the big kitty*

Ren Gaulen

Hannah: "Oh my gods, it's a lion! Get in the car!! :dface"

Dan: "Oh my gods, the car does nothing!!! D:"

Naldru

If it was a female lion, Dan might try to get a date.

Brunhidden

Quote from: Naldru on May 26, 2008, 12:14:59 AM
If it was a female lion, Dan might try to get a date.

it is, and he may, and who knows- he might get lucky and all she wants is snoo-snoo

Psaakyrn

The only odd thing I would note is that Alikya appears much more aggresive than she would normally be, even considering that she was captured for a while. (considering that she has been the hippie peace type for a long time)

Also for someone who can't throw a head-klunk, she seems rather good at fighting (aka still able to smack someone about).

Also, given what we know of Dan, he probably has an innately high tolerance fo pain from the beginning, since his clan feeds off pain to start off with. (aka he may get hurt, but pain itself is unlikely to cause more than that: we've seen the inverse, that pain heals him...)

Final note... needs more death knights and sporks.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Raffe

Wow...I didn't even notice she turned into a cat....I'm going blind...
And man, shes about to snap that wall in half.
Hmmm...does being bigger make you faster or slow you down? I suppose it depends on obstacles.
Think she'll catch them first or they'll run into someone else first?
Hooray ellipsis!

e_voyager

i saw it but didn't really think anything of it.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

kaskar

8) Is this another case of  " See Dan run ... "                                             
8) Just Hanging Around ...

e_voyager

well they are called the quick and the dead for a reason. if you not quick enough to avoid a deadly situation then you wind up dead.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Psaakyrn on May 26, 2008, 04:17:09 AM
needs more death knights and sporks.

You're forgetting ice-orcs and loincloths.

AmigaDragon

The only odd thing I would note is that Alikya appears much more aggresive than she would normally be, even considering that she was captured for a while. (considering that she has been the hippie peace type for a long time)

Also for someone who can't throw a head-klunk, she seems rather good at fighting (aka still able to smack someone about).
How long is that? Remember, this is a flashback, earlier than the first time we met her.

For the ineffectiveness of head-klunk, you're forgetting about the hardness of Dan's head. The kidnappers used a bat (shame on Amber for not showing us a broken bat ~_^ ).

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 26, 2008, 04:50:19 AM
Hmmm...does being bigger make you faster or slow you down? I suppose it depends on obstacles.
More mass slows you down, but more muscle can move that mass faster, so there's a trade-off. Conditioning also plays a factor.

Yeah, lead her into a group of actual guards (perhaps some she recognizes). Speaking of guards, did Dan leave that one where she dropped or drag her into his cell and lock her in? Do they teach that in Adventurer school? "If you're captured and then make an escape..."
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Psaakyrn

Quote from: AmigaDragon on May 26, 2008, 11:50:04 AM

How long is that? Remember, this is a flashback, earlier than the first time we met her.

For the ineffectiveness of head-klunk, you're forgetting about the hardness of Dan's head. The kidnappers used a bat (shame on Amber for not showing us a broken bat ~_^ ).

Quote from: Deebs' servant on May 26, 2008, 04:50:19 AM
More mass slows you down, but more muscle can move that mass faster, so there's a trade-off. Conditioning also plays a factor.

Yeah, lead her into a group of actual guards (perhaps some she recognizes). Speaking of guards, did Dan leave that one where she dropped or drag her into his cell and lock her in? Do they teach that in Adventurer school? "If you're captured and then make an escape..."

VERY long ago, considering she was hippie long before working at H-Ann (from cast page) and we've seen her hippie with Lorenda at college.
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

Gamma

Obstacles and mass are the problems most involved in becoming larger. By stride alone you could become five times faster, mass associated with that stride must still be moved though.
Unless muscle tissue type improves with the transformation you would not move much faster at that size. The stride helps make up for it though.
Assuming the muscle type* changed you would see greatly improved speed. However this would also be a type that requires much more energy and would again be restricted to contraints placed on the rest of the body.
If the rest of the body systems were amped up to become equally it would require the biological equivalent of cold fusion for power.
I don't think you get that much from your morning Wheaties. ;)

However these are all constraints posed in our world which has no magic and is currently bound by only the laws of physics we currently understand.
This is not that world and as such is not limited by those laws.
A 'great' soldier once said, "You are not welcome in my world!"

*Other muscle types include "twitch" reaction muscle like in your eye sockets. This type uses more energy to move quickly but cannot move the same amount of mass or for extended periods. The eye is relatively light and efficient at moving in its socket. The eye also has a large amount of muscle for it's size.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000