Zig Zag?

Started by Aleolus, May 16, 2008, 05:30:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madmann135

I can see it now.
ZZ in a cameo of DMFA...
with ZZ talking to someone in the buff completely covered by well placed walls and speach bubbbles... in the background so that she doesn't need to be detailed and easily missed at first glance.

Yes, I do post just to see my own words on the screen.

Sofox

The thing I like about Amber is that she usually defies predictions.

One of the reasons I get irritated by people constantly giving their guess on what happens next.

Madmann135

Quote from: Sofox on May 18, 2008, 12:26:19 PM
The thing I like about Amber is that she usually defies predictions.

One of the reasons I get irritated by people constantly giving their guess on what happens next.

I only said what I said for two reasons...
1 - ZZ is such a complicated charactor to get right that someone could go blind just getting all the stripes on her body.
2 - I also said I imagined it that way in order to keep true to ZZ's prefrence of limited cloths and Ambers determination to keep this comic suitable for all ages.

Gareeku

Or she just put, you know, actual clothes on her anyway. Or not include Zig Zag at all. That could happen, as revolutionary as it might sound.

Saist

Quote from: Gareeku on May 18, 2008, 02:08:46 PM
Or she just put, you know, actual clothes on her anyway. Or not include Zig Zag at all. That could happen, as revolutionary as it might sound.

... probably sticking my paw in my mouth here... but if Amber was doing cameos... I'd rather her do people from the forum first... granted, in cameo involving me would probably be along the lines of the ... ahem... generic cameo destruction *insert name here* comic. Either that or a frying pan to the head at AC for proper conceptual vision of what "dead cat" looks like.

anyways, there is a precedent set in Sabrina-Online for Zig Zag showing up in a proper dress. Personally, like Sabrina, she's far cuter in the office dress... but since I can't get to Eric's site right now (page timeout), I'm unable to link the couple of comics in question.

On the other hand, I would tend to agree with perception that Zig Zag's inclusion is a little... out of character for the DMFA universe. E.G., when FKK / Kenji's cameo came up during the production of Wildy's shonen-ai book, it fit the circumstances surrounding the event. Similar with Pink / Lore's appearance far earlier in the comic. They fit the part of what needed to be there for the purposes of the story.

Including Cameo's for the sake of including cameos is a... I'm reluctant to say bad storyline progression... since I'm by no means a webcomic artist... but I can easily come up with several dozen dead Keenspace comics that were mostly nothing but cameos of the artists friends and people from what passed for a community.

To me, the hardest part is knowing when to say no. A couple of friends that have read through some of the FanFic stuff that's floating around from me have asked why they haven't shown up, while other friends have. Case in point is the Tabula Rasa fanfic I started writing, and stopped posting when the developers went brain dead. Anyways, simple answer was, there isn't always a place for that person's avatar in the world that's being written.

If Zig Zag fits in a storyline, at some point... then great. Trying to force the storyline to a point where a Zig Zag cameo is plausible within the realm of DMFA? That's... lousy.

Madmann135

Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 04:04:29 PM
If Zig Zag fits in a storyline, at some point... then great. Trying to force the storyline to a point where a Zig Zag cameo is plausible within the realm of DMFA? That's... lousy.

For the sake of arguement there are cities where clothing is optional in the DMFA world

Saist

Quote from: Madmann135 on May 18, 2008, 04:11:41 PM
Quote from: Saist on May 18, 2008, 04:04:29 PM

For the sake of arguement there are cities where clothing is optional in the DMFA world

I believe Amber has also made it quite clear that these cities will NOT show up in the DMFA story arcs.

Sofox

Madmann135: Wasn't directed at you.

Long story short: If she does include Zig Zag, she will handle it well, of this I have no doubt.

Kenji

Zig-Zag should be a robot.
From the future.
Sent back in time to obtain the perfect hamburger recipe the only way she knows how.
Farming a difficult dungeon till it drops!

Attic Rat

Dang - all of this yammering... about a character hardly more complex than a generic pin-up.
"Sabrina's" character has some depth.
"Zig-Zag's"? Not so much. Manipulative, self-centered, tragic background and all. Cardboard-cutout character.
Maybe somebody's grafted a personality onto her in a fanfic someplace, but it isn't showing up in the online comic.

I LIKED the "Sabrina Online" comic. I keep hoping Eric Schwartz will get over his Zig-Zag obsession and continue his comic's plot. It's been on "hold" for 'way too long. What a waste.
Which would you like to be, ignorant or misled?

Eibborn

agiogeh I don't know what is worse, the 'BIG FURRY BOOBS PLZ' aspect of this thread, or the 'lol i am so much more mature than you guys' group.

|3 We're all losers. It's okay, guys.
/kicks the internet over

Naldru

If cubi feed on emotions, that would mean that Fa'lina might well organize events that would provide plenty of emotions for them to feed on.  If that's the case and there are cubi who feed on sexual emotions, it would seem that somebody would have to organize orgies for SAIA.  I think ZigZag would be well suited.  (Of course, she very rarely wears a suit.)

By the way, somebody complained about my entering bad puns.  Believe me, I don't post the really bad puns.  They are so baaaad, I would feel sheepish about posting them.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Reese Tora

Quote from: icarus on May 17, 2008, 10:57:49 PM
Quote from: Reese Tora on May 17, 2008, 12:36:51 PM
That seems unlikely to me, since I believe that Abel's story is original characters only.

no.
http://www.missmab.com/Comics/Abel_56.php
I had forgotten about that.  Still, I do believe that the intention is/was to keep as many of the characters thsoe belonging to Amber so as to increase the viability or turning the comic into a selable product in terms of dead-tree forminess.
Quote from: Attic Rat on May 18, 2008, 10:30:18 PM
Dang - all of this yammering... about a character hardly more complex than a generic pin-up.
"Sabrina's" character has some depth.
"Zig-Zag's"? Not so much. Manipulative, self-centered, tragic background and all. Cardboard-cutout character.
Maybe somebody's grafted a personality onto her in a fanfic someplace, but it isn't showing up in the online comic.

I LIKED the "Sabrina Online" comic. I keep hoping Eric Schwartz will get over his Zig-Zag obsession and continue his comic's plot. It's been on "hold" for 'way too long. What a waste.

Well, consider that Zig is a relatively minor supporting character in SO, she's not meant to ahve a lot of characterization.  There's a series of written stories (mentioned earlier in this thread, IIRC) that are about Zig, and I understand that they increase her depth of character quite a lot.  Of course, they're not written by Zig's creator, so I don't know how cannon they can be considered.(as you said, 'some fan fic', though I believe this one is sanctioned by MBR)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Victoire Épique

Quote from: Kenji on May 18, 2008, 07:19:41 PM
Zig-Zag should be a robot.
From the future.
Sent back in time to obtain the perfect hamburger recipe the only way she knows how.
Farming a difficult dungeon till it drops!

But Pyroduck's from the future as well! ...Apparently.
What if they met? Oh no! :U
Heaven forbid ZZ starts gambling as well!
Though darn, those burgers taste goooooooood~...

Naldru

IIRC, ZigZag was not created by Eric Schwartz.  I just took a look at the bottom of http://www.sabrina-online.com/thismonth.html and it gives some information about ZigZag.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Silverfoxr

i am sorry i had to say something - but i agree with saiest - cameos just for the sake of cameos doesnt fit in the DMFA storyline
zig zag may be famous - heck theres alot of famous characters from comics - but just to put her in to dmfa to make the fans happy
damn people
its ambers comic!! she can do with it what she wants!!!

please let this thread die already!

llearch n'n'daCorna

That's probably enough right there.

As you wish...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Ok. Seriously. Did NO ONE read my previous statement of?

Quote from: Amber Williams on May 18, 2008, 02:45:44 AM
If a thread like this happens again, likely never.  Her appearance is optional, and really the only reason I decided to possibly cameo her was because Max is a great person and we joked about her showing up in a PG comic like DMFA a couple Anthrocons ago.

I. decided. to. cameo. her. because. Max. Blackrabbit. and. I. are. friends.

What right does anyone here have to say who is more deservivng of a cameo?  Or which of my friends characters can or can't be giving a passing role.  So Max's character is more well-known. WOOOPIDY DOO.  Does that make my friendship with somewhat less valid? Should I tell him "Sorry Max! I guess your stuff is just too durn popular to get a cameo from me! Better luck next time!"?

I would like to have thought you people would have had more faith in me and my writing abilities.  That you guys would have figured I would have SOME creative skill to be able to work a character into the story without it being blatent cameo. Its not like I haven't done that most the previous times I did a cameo.  OH WAIT.

Honestly? I am upset. I am fuuuurious in fact. And mostly, I am dissapointed.  You guys have taken what was meant to be a friendly gesture to a friend and turned it into a three ring circus, and you have not only insulted Max, you have insulted me.   Thanks a lot guys for ruining the simple pleasure of having a friends character drop into my comic.