04/04/08 [Hybrid #3]

Started by RobbieThe1st, April 04, 2008, 05:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kuari

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 05, 2008, 05:33:01 PM
I should also make mention of this:

I am not a gun expert...nor a weapon-freak in general.  I dont dig gun-talk and honestly...that last post Gamma made is like moonspeak to me.  And I can't find myself caring enough to delve on the subject anymore. 

It shouldnt be a suprise that besides story-reasons...a factor of why there is little weapon technology is I simply dont like drawing it and I dont have the energy/devotion to research it enough to be accurate. And I dislike writing stuff that gives the opening for people to easily pick apart due to them having more knowledge on the subject than myself.

Though I still can't help but imagine Jy pulling out a large sword launching gun shouting "YIFF THIS!!!"

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Kuari on April 06, 2008, 02:35:06 AM
Though I still can't help but imagine Jy pulling out a large sword launching gun shouting "YIFF THIS!!!"

What about a rocket-propelled chainsaw launcher? >:3

Brunhidden

Quote from: e_voyager on April 06, 2008, 01:58:35 AM
I think that there there are actually 26 types of cast shells i believe and the most dangerous ones are the 9, the 13, and the 4.

actually those were just the most rare.
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.

Naldru

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on April 06, 2008, 06:08:59 AM
What about a rocket-propelled chainsaw launcher? >:3
I remember hearing discussions about an anti-satellite missile that would have blades pop out just before it reached the target.  At high speed, the blades would go through things just like chain saws and would be more efficient for the weight.  Sort of like the old chain shot for cannons.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

AndersW

What about magically enchanted armor plating?  I remember Amber talking about armor here.  I am guessing that armor can be enchanted because it doesn't have any precision moving parts like a gun to mess up.  So, what I am wondering is if Jyrras could have magically enchanted armor plating on things like his Gryph-mech, without messing up the function of the mech.

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Naldru on April 06, 2008, 09:04:27 AM
I remember hearing discussions about an anti-satellite missile that would have blades pop out just before it reached the target.  At high speed, the blades would go through things just like chain saws and would be more efficient for the weight.  Sort of like the old chain shot for cannons.

Yeah, I've heard about this things. I read an article in some science magazine and I saw a picture of a missile releasing some sort of spikes in all directions, which made it look like a wheel of a bicycle if you looked at it from the front. Since there is no air in space those spikes did not affect the trajectory of the missile and made it much easier to hit the target. At the speed with which the missile would be moving these spikes would really cut through the satellite like it was made of cardboard.

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 06, 2008, 08:44:22 AM
I think that there there are actually 26 types of cast shells i believe and the most dangerous ones are the 9, the 13, and the 4.

They were both the most rare and the most powerful. After all, Gene wanted to get those shells for a reason.

e_voyager

as i said it's been years since i've see the shows and i remember Jean sawing when he fired one on the lay-line that those things really do drain you life. apparently shooting three of them would kill a normal person but he being a tough guy fired four and went to some limbo with the people he was with when the magic of the caster interacted wit the magic of the enemy he was fighting.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Psaakyrn

Or to solve the problem:
A gun would involve 4 parts:
Firing equipment
Projectile equipment
Firing mechanism
Transport issues.

Step one: make the firing equipment as simple as possible. The more complex it is, the higher the chance of interruption. Alternatively, make it inherently magical, and forgoing the mechanical parts which would cause inteference. (example: enchanged bow, magical bowstring: Only magical aspects used, and vastly simple in structure.

Step 2: Projectiles have to be carefully handled in order to prevent inteference. In this sense, metals are more likely to cause inteference, though not impossible to wield. However, enchanting them with such which would work efficiently would be much harder. E.g. enchanting an exploding arrow would be inherently hard. Enchanting an arrow with penetrative/sharpness spells might be easier. Alternatively, tou can have magically created/summoned projectiles, in this sense it's no longer about magical properties, but of firing efficiency.

Step 3: Giving forward momentum in such a manner which would a) not be too obvious and/or interruptable, efficient, and without complexity. Bowstrings would be simple, so would gust spells, though getting the required velocity would be tricky (unless you wanted a slow projectile for whichever reason). Explosions would likely intefere with any magical balance. Magnetic propulsion would be simpler to manage, since that can be generated by a complex kinetic spell, and is more controllable.

Step 4: Depending on the projectile and environment, having the projectile travelling normally may not be the best option (including the sonic boom aspect). I'd imagine having a graceful/air penetrative spell (which would indirectly remove the sonic boom due to loss of air friction) (would be somewhat related to to the sharpness spell) would work nicely for any ammunition in this regard.

All in all, I think the most likely gun-like weaponary would be a cross-bow, though I'd imagine laser/tentacle/taser guns may be easier to enchant and be more effective, since they do not rely on kinetic energy-based damage. (a laser gun in this respect would be more akin to an elemental gun, where it's creating a beam of magic-based energy, as opposed to just light, though in a sense it's similar in they they're still just a focusing device, the light/magic has to come from somewhere first) (Tentacle guns would be similar to the above, excet that it works more like a whip, once the energy connects, it increases in strength. Think Raiden (shmup) electric guns.) (tasers would be similar to tentacle guns, except with a physical component in between)
Someone in the valley calls out to me;
A voice from the past, fading out fast;
Am I to be wary, do I have to be;
I just know, I have to be there.

msfrost

Part of the strip today, hit close to home. "I guess it isn't paranoia when they really did get completely wiped out by another race." I am of Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) ancestry, so I am a bit sensitive towards the subject.

Zina

Quote from: msfrost on April 07, 2008, 06:38:10 PM
Part of the strip today, hit close to home. "I guess it isn't paranoia when they really did get completely wiped out by another race." I am of Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) ancestry, so I am a bit sensitive towards the subject.

A lot of people, I'm sure, are apart of a group of people that almost got wiped out at one point or another in the past.
Welcum 2 earf.

bill

Quote from: Zina on April 07, 2008, 08:48:57 PM

A lot of people, I'm sure, are apart of a group of people that almost got wiped out at one point or another in the past.
Welcum 2 earf.
lol

Alondro

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 06, 2008, 08:44:22 AM

I have have the entire series on DVD... including the hot springs planet.  With much nekkidness.  Aisha Clan-Clan boo-behs!   >:3

It was the funniest episode of the series.   :giggle
Three's a crowd:  One lordly leonine of the Leyjon, one cruel and cunning cubi goddess, and one utterly doomed human stuck between them.

http://www.furfire.org/art/yapcharli2.gif

e_voyager

lucky you. so am i right?  i really don't know/ remember if i'm right.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zina on April 07, 2008, 08:48:57 PM

Welcum 2 earf.

im a Visigoth, after the fall of Rome we were mostly wiped out by the Byzantines and the ottomans.

the Slavs were almost wiped out by the Norsemen, who sold then as slaves to all of Europe, hence where the word 'slave' comes from, and are now one of the predominant ethnic European groups

the bohemians (gypsies) were wiped out by just about everyone, including the Mongols, ottomans, Nazis, and were the target of the 30 years war that wiped out half of Germany

Brittan was nearly conquered by Ivar the Boneless, who sacked all of northern england with the largest army of vikings ever assembled, and only the invention of the motte and bailey castle saved the English language from being replaced by norge. Vikings and castles don't really mix....

the Creeks were pawned by the romans, and only a few small villages and one or two cities were spared, its a wonder they rebuilt their country

gee, i just listed off about half of all Caucasians....

Naldru

Despite what Jane Fonda said, the Algonquin and the Iroquois were hardly at peace when the white men first arrived.  Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper may have been a work of fiction, but the idea of animosity between the Indian nations was fairly well documented.
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

e_voyager

humans fight among themselves. nature is a war of survival. these facts have been said  countless times but we forever seem to refute them. we don't life in a world of peace for we deep down fear that peace will bring stagnation and then death.  this fear drives use forward in many ways including greed. taking what we can so that when the time to fight comes will have everything we can to throw at our opponent and hope that we win even if that opponent is others like ourselves. but then this could all be nonsense sprouted by a random form member so feel free to ignore it okay?

Zina

Quote from: Naldru on April 08, 2008, 10:34:46 PM
Despite what Jane Fonda said, the Algonquin and the Iroquois were hardly at peace when the white men first arrived.  Last of the Mohicans by James Fennimore Cooper may have been a work of fiction, but the idea of animosity between the Indian nations was fairly well documented.
True fax. Most tribes were constantly at war with one another and would have bloody battles over territory, food, ponies, etc. Some tribes have a long-standing hatred towards one another to this day. The idea that Indians were peaceful and didn't know the concept of war until the white man came is a fantasy created by new-age hippies.

Seth

Going into the science vs. magic thing, it's a common belief that magic has a tendency to foul up technology. Like, if you take a heavily enchanted sword, and put it next to a steam engine, the either engine explodes, or the sword acts funky. I've even played a game where magic screws up watches and stops an inclined plane from working right. O.O;

Then theres the belief that magic is nothing but advanced technology, but that's WAAAAAAAYYYYYYY too technical for me.
If you know what I did... Then kudos to you.

!KCA

Quote from: Zina on April 09, 2008, 01:05:05 AM
True fax. Most tribes were constantly at war with one another and would have bloody battles over territory, food, ponies, etc. Some tribes have a long-standing hatred towards one another to this day. The idea that Indians were peaceful and didn't know the concept of war until the white man came is a fantasy created by new-age hippies.

Ponies? There hadn't been horses in America for quite some time until Europeans brought their horses with them.

Quote from: Seth on April 09, 2008, 02:03:34 AMI've even played a game where magic screws up watches and stops an inclined plane from working right.
An axe is a wedge on a lever?

Amber Williams

Quote from: !KCA on April 09, 2008, 02:13:37 AM

Ponies? There hadn't been horses in America for quite some time until Europeans brought their horses with them.

Way to miss the point of the message but instead focus on an insignificant detail to nitpick.

Zina

Quote from: !KCA on April 09, 2008, 02:13:37 AM

Horses were brought over by Spanish explorers, long before white settlers came to North America. Plains tribes would constantly go on "pony raids" and steal ponies from a rival tribe. These raids typically ended with a casualty or two. It was considered a rite of passage for a lot of young warriors.

The more you know, etc.

!KCA

Quote from: Amber Williams on April 09, 2008, 02:22:58 AMWay to miss the point of the message but instead focus on an insignificant detail to nitpick.
I didn't miss the point. The other part is perfectly true, though.

Also, since when are Spaniards not European?

Zina

Quote from: !KCA on April 09, 2008, 02:49:18 AM
Quote from: Amber Williams on April 09, 2008, 02:22:58 AMWay to miss the point of the message but instead focus on an insignificant detail to nitpick.
I didn't miss the point. The other part is perfectly true, though.

Also, since when are Spaniards not European?

I never said they weren't. I do, however, recall saying white settlers.  The ones that usually come to mind when one thinks of the typical cowboys and Indians nonsense. Those are usually what Indians refer to when they say "white man".
:V

Brunhidden

just like some of those hippies to call a group of people who went to war as often and merrily as those today would go a yard sale a 'peaceful people'

yeah, they had warpaint long before Europeans came, some tribes were cannibalistic, and several groups of Spaniards were completely wiped out by a nation of mississippi river natives who had the battle prowess to mop the floor with conquistadors, specifically conquistadors that had no problems pawning the Aztec warriors

these are probably the same people who claim that animals don't fight, despite that animals kill and eat each other all the freaking time, and often kill even though they're not hungry.

and then they will probably follow up with some tripe about 'you cant hug your children with nuclear arms' and tell you the benefits of making clothing out of hemp.

!KCA

I consider Spaniards white??

Quote from: Brunhidden on April 09, 2008, 02:56:26 AM
these are probably the same people who claim that animals don't fight, despite that animals kill and eat each other all the freaking time, and often kill even though they're not hungry.

I see these people on YouTube. A lot. Frequently failing to use anything remotely resembling coherent language.

Back on the original topic, would a being with any demon ancestry be unable to breed with a were? What would happen if you used magic (or superscience) to hybridize a were and a part-demon? (My take on this is that forcing the combination will result in a were who's magic is restricted to dark effects, not necessarily a net gain.)

Zina

Quote from: !KCA on April 09, 2008, 04:08:03 AM

Oh dear lord, I give up. You don't get it, and I don't want to bother explaining again.
Regardless, my point still stands.

Fuyudenki

Back on the original topic, would a being with any demon ancestry be unable to breed with a were? What would happen if you used magic (or superscience) to hybridize a were and a part-demon? (My take on this is that forcing the combination will result in a were who's magic is restricted to dark effects, not necessarily a net gain.)

Find someone willing to capture and subsiquently stand between a now-angry were and demon.

"Hey, I wonder what happens if I pull the pin on this grenade and then hold it in my hand while I pour napalm all over it."

Brunhidden

Quote from: Zina on April 09, 2008, 04:10:48 AM

Oh dear lord, I give up. You don't get it, and I don't want to bother explaining again.
Regardless, my point still stands.

i would like to state i find it offensive that when i apply for a job theres freaking twenty diffrent categories for race, and only one of them is for anything even remotely connected to eruope.... and yet theres at least four for what kind of black/african/hatian you could be and at least six for what kind of latino/philipino you could be.

if your going to add all the different kinds of minority, at least have the decency to refrain from treating white folk like they're lepers....

also back on topic- i would almost imagine that someone would TRY for a demonic/were hybryd if in fact they didn't hate each other and the good chance that nobody would be stupid enough to make one as they could never hope to control it