[Art] Alteisentier Art. - Tuesday the 26th

Started by Alteisentier, February 26, 2008, 06:48:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techmaster-glitch

Alteisentier

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/1519/redew6.jpg (nsfw) a doodle experementing with colour

And some lineart of a shy draggy (nsfw) http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/1162/redoneds7.jpg

Ehe, links fixed now.
*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

Suwako

:U They be somewhat similar.  :U

nice job non the less  :P
I'm still amazed at the detail everything from you has.  :U

destele.

WhiteFox

On the expirement, I love the color balance. Very subtle highlights and shadows. I don't wonder if there should be some shadow under her left breast, tho. I like the line variation, too.

As for the shy one... Gorgeous anatomy. Very exaggerated, but that's part of the appeal. The wings aren't so effective, though, since there aren't any "finger bones" to the struts. I can't really tell how the wrists themselves are actually built or posed, it kind of hurts the readability. The muscles look really heavy for wings, or even just compared to her arms. I like how you handled how the horns root to the head. Looking at the angle of her muzzle, I don't think we should be seeing as much of the left side of her face. I love the pose and anatomy of the feet and legs.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Alteisentier

*WARNING: MAY BE BRUTALLY HONEST TO THE POINT OF INSULTING YOUR FACE; MOTHER; AND POSSIBLY YOUR DOG. PLEASE SEE YOUR DOCTOR BEFORE FURTHER DOSES IF REDUCED TO A BLUBBERING PILE OF TEARS*

WhiteFox

Ooh. No lines (Well, not very many). All I can say is that the top of the generalissimo's hat lacks the definition/contrast his face has.

On the other hand, the cloth on his sleeve is really pops out.

Man, I want a cyborg-robot army...
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

Mao

This looks like something Ren would love. :3

I definitely like the look of the lower amount of lines.  It kinda reminds me of cell shading work, but this has a more paint and canvas feel to it, which is neat for a digital image imho.

On another note it could also be a bit of a harsh commentary on certain things.

Alteisentier

WhiteFox

(His) right hand doesn't seem to be in a very comfortable position. I'm under the impression that it should just droop, limp.

Once again, nice fabric. The rumples around the knees look a little off, but the coat overall and the cuffs of his pants are great.

Alteisentier

Looking off or not, that's how fabric folds.

WhiteFox

I don't doubt that's how it folds. But it looks more like pulsing veins then folds of cloth.

Alteisentier

You will learn to see it when you understand and figure out  shading.

WhiteFox

When I look at a drawing, I stop being an artist and start being a viewer. If I have to understand fabric and light as an artist would to view your work then only artists will be able to appreciate your work, and not viewers. As an artist, I understand what you are showing me. As a viewer, I don't think you've shown it as well as you have else where in the drawing.

If you intend your work to be technical and academic in nature, rather then presentable by a general audience, this point is moot however.

This is a very minor point to be laboring over, and if you don't want to hear my reactions to your work I won't bother you with them any further, and I'm sorry if I annoyed you.

Alteisentier

It's a sketch, a quick run of the mill 5 minute sketch. That's it, there's not really any need to get so analytical over it. I just thought it looked neat and decided to share it. You really have to stop going around and trying to find a flaw in every drawing to point out. If I were to do it to you I could write essays.

Tezkat

I find clothing folds excruciatingly difficult to draw, myself, so I'm terribly impressed with people who can just eyeball realistic folds in a 5-minute sketch.

:mowcookie

The same thing we do every night, Pinky...

Turnsky

Quote from: Alteisentier on October 28, 2008, 03:19:53 PM
It's a sketch, a quick run of the mill 5 minute sketch. That's it, there's not really any need to get so analytical over it. I just thought it looked neat and decided to share it. You really have to stop going around and trying to find a flaw in every drawing to point out. If I were to do it to you I could write essays.

Agreed, You'll find, whitefox that art isn't all about anatomy as you would think, strange as it may sound, -physics- often comes into play, how a material would work, it's thickness, and how it'll fold, for example, as well as gravity, and a myriad of other things, judging by your comic, you still have a lot to learn about anatomy, as well as physics, you'll come to realise that a certain amount of 'stylism' also comes into things, whether it be part of an artist's preferred style, a timesaving shortcut, or just lack of ability.. Given the griping about wings you've given practically everybody who's drawn them in the past (Me and Amber included) you yourself haven't much of an idea of how they would work on a winged biped.

For Example, a winged biped would not have the physical strength to lift themselves off the ground by simply 'taking off' under any means by sheer brute force. There's a reason why i haven't shown any of my characters flying yet, i cite the 'gargoyles' reason for this, as the wings are simply for gliding, not for actual 'taking off'.  also, you've studied anatomy, so have i, but i've also had a zoology major to talk to who knows more about structure and practicality than i did at the time.
Seeing how you draw wings, you'll find that they're structured not too much unlike the arm, there is even a "hand" in there somewhere.
case in point, here.

Dragons, it's what's for dinner... with gravy and potatoes, YUM!
Sparta? no, you should've taken that right at albuquerque..

WhiteFox

*Facepalm*

Alright. I don't think I've really presented myself or my principals regarding art very well. But I'd rather not clog up Alte's art thread with this conversation. That being said, I'm going to put up a short essay in my thread about some of my veiws, and I hope I can clear up a few misconceptions.

[Edit] Alright, I posted.

Alteisentier

llearch n'n'daCorna

Indeed. I said it before, and I'll say it again - I love the phoenix.
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Tezkat

Crosshatched highlights! Sweet. :mowcookie

Must learn how to do those things one of these days...

Alteisentier

llearch n'n'daCorna

I like how the phoenix appears to be sucking the flesh out of the hand as it grows. Was that intentional, or did you just get the tendons in the palm of the hand emphasised a little much? ;-]

Alteisentier

To be honest I did want to put emphasis on the tendons, but I didn't think I had over done it that much (Drawing at 3 in the morning yay)

Although I'm rather liking the effect now, and a few people have come to the same conclusion, so i'm going to run with it and play that up more.

llearch n'n'daCorna

If you do, you'll want to make sure you add in the missing one for the forefinger...

Tezkat

I know it's supposed to be a hand and a bird, but I can't help thinking that it looks kinda like some of the cool plant life in Spore. :animesweat

Alteisentier

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on November 04, 2008, 07:50:58 AM
If you do, you'll want to make sure you add in the missing one for the forefinger...

A moment of "Oh fuck this i'm going to pass out now"

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Alteisentier on November 04, 2008, 10:31:36 AM
A moment of "Oh fuck this i'm going to pass out now"

... why am I not surprised to hear this. ;-]

Alteisentier

Suwako

:U

That is just beyond awesome. I love the color, the ... I give up I just love the picture as a whole, seriously I have nothing of worth to mention on this, why am I typing? It must be out of amazement.

Brunhidden

freaky cool, probably symbolic too but i dont care its awesome
Some will fall in love with life,
and drink it from a fountain;
that is pouring like an avalanche,
coming down the mountain.