Started by Paladin Sheppard, February 08, 2008, 05:40:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

e_voyager

Quote from: Aleolus on February 08, 2008, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Zedd on February 08, 2008, 02:22:28 PM
Hmmm Wildy has the big credit cards

Is zat like Destiana having a perky wingspan?  >:3
well you never know.  it could be.
I thank Silver Fox and Tiger_T for the wonderful Yappies.  all around the universe powers learned to hiss and curse at this, my creation but am i real or pure creation?
 I'm never where i was, rarely where i want to be, but always were i am needed.
 this world is not my own. but some how i wish that i could belong. Blame It On Boxey

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: CameronCN on February 08, 2008, 01:59:30 PM
The Wildy continuity contradiction is something we've run into before. Does anybody remember the strip where she is the one who makes fun of Dan's robe as a dress? But later it is explained that she gave him the robe, and of course in today's strip she is the one saying "it's a robe!"

Well, Dan is saying it's a dress, now. She's saying it's a robe. If he changes his tune, you can bet Wildy is the sort to call it a dress, just to rub his nose in it.

I know -I- would ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Amber Williams

Quote from: Gamma on February 08, 2008, 07:58:56 AM
I see a minor inconsistency, I don't think Wildy ever knew of Dans adventuring days.
As evidenced by comic 119

Of course I don't really care I just happen to be nit-picking at the moment.
Its an easy piece to overlook if it wasn't intentionally changed for convenience sake.

I don't have any problem with it, if it helps the story, do it. Besides stating this way way way back in comic 119, who would know for sure if it would matter later.

Wildy is Dan's oldest and closest friend and has been since they were kids.  It'd be pretty hard not to know he's spending time learning to be an adventurer and then is setting off to do various adventures and still retain that title.  The story-arch where Wildy disguised herself as Shaman was actually the first time she had ever been on an adventure with Dan...and with reasons.

If you really want to view it as an error on my part, feel more than free.  However I don't see how someone giving a friend a gift to help keep them safe and then later on thinking they are coming back weaving over-exxaggerated tales of their exploits a continuity error.

GabrielsThoughts

clickity click click click. Quote in personal text is from Walter Bishop of Fringe.

thegayhare

Quote from: Aleolus on February 08, 2008, 02:32:11 PM
Quote from: Zedd on February 08, 2008, 02:22:28 PM
Hmmm Wildy has the big credit cards

Is zat like Destiana having a perky wingspan?  >:3

remember though it was Destina who said that so there is a hint of narcissism in that statement

Gamma

While I do suffer from chronic "foot in mouth syndrome",
The statement of Wildy's in comic 119 doesn't convey any sarcasm that I can find. I may be wrong or course(see previous statement).

If she was being sarcastic about him being a "warrior type" the latest comic makes sense. This also hinges on the meaning that "warrior type" has the common meaning -anyone who actively seeks battle, like an adventurer.
If its the more strict meaning of a combatant for war and major victory then her statement would also make sense. They were discussing an event that would alter a major country or the world.

The statement itself in my mind seems open to interpretation.
My family does however have a history of looking at things differently. :B
Just remember rednecks can be nerds too.

To be honest I always look at the comic with a great sense of time. I mean the fact it has been created over the span of many years and the fact that the overall story has solidified toward a goal we don't know of but has taken turns and twists with things possibly left behind along the way.

Alright I better shutup before some one gets too mad.
I just hope there aren't any teeth involved.
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

WhiteFox

I've got an awesome method for resolving any conflicts of continuity. I don't really care.

"The difference between fiction and real life is that fiction has to make sense."
-Tom Clancy

If something doesn't make sense in real life, we just shrug and move on. We might scratch our heads about  it the next day. If we see the same thing in a work of fiction, we get reams and reams of discussion and debate. I find it easier, and I enjoy the story more, if I overlook minor inconsistent details.

Quote from: Gamma on February 08, 2008, 04:43:34 PM
Alright I better shutup before some one gets too mad.
I just hope there aren't any teeth involved.

Thunderbolts, man. Thunderbolts.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

AmigaDragon

OK, so Dan was calling it a dress while Wildy was calling it a robe (getting him to accept it). Her calling it a dress later doesn't have to mean anything against continuity, she likes to tease her friends. That she gave it to him means little as far as this is concerned.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

rt

Bah continiuity, continiuity, continiuity.

Your forgetting the important part .. chainmail bikini clad ladies!! (or chainmail lionclothed guys where preffered)

Kayriel

Quote from: Amber Williams on February 08, 2008, 03:26:59 PM
Quote from: Gamma on February 08, 2008, 07:58:56 AM
I see a minor inconsistency, I don't think Wildy ever knew of Dans adventuring days.
As evidenced by comic 119

Of course I don't really care I just happen to be nit-picking at the moment.
Its an easy piece to overlook if it wasn't intentionally changed for convenience sake.

I don't have any problem with it, if it helps the story, do it. Besides stating this way way way back in comic 119, who would know for sure if it would matter later.

Wildy is Dan's oldest and closest friend and has been since they were kids.  It'd be pretty hard not to know he's spending time learning to be an adventurer and then is setting off to do various adventures and still retain that title.  The story-arch where Wildy disguised herself as Shaman was actually the first time she had ever been on an adventure with Dan...and with reasons.

If you really want to view it as an error on my part, feel more than free.  However I don't see how someone giving a friend a gift to help keep them safe and then later on thinking they are coming back weaving over-exxaggerated tales of their exploits a continuity error.

-does the I'm Right Dance, which looks alot like sitting in a chair and grinning-
<3 Abel

Paladin Sheppard

Quote from: rt on February 08, 2008, 07:34:55 PM

Your forgetting the important part .. chainmail bikini clad ladies!! (or chainmail lionclothed guys where preffered)

Finally someone with their head on straight! Bring on the girls!! >:3 *runs away before rotten fruit is thrown at him*

Kayriel

Quote from: Paladin Sheppard on February 08, 2008, 08:38:46 PM

Finally someone with their head on straight! Bring on the girls!! >:3 *runs away before rotten fruit is thrown at him*

Hear hear! Let's see some buxom bounties beating baddies bearing bawdy bikinis! D=<
<3 Abel

AnizInDisguise

Quote from: Kayriel on February 08, 2008, 10:15:10 PM

Hear hear! Let's see some buxom bounties beating baddies bearing bawdy bikinis! D=<

I'm with you brother!

Also, the picture on the last page, you gotta love it.

Kayriel

Quote from: AnizInDisguise on February 08, 2008, 10:47:14 PM

I'm with you brother!

-hands Aniz another stack of paperwork- ;D There you go, big guy.
<3 Abel

Azlan

I prefer my mail loincloths made from Elven chain.  Beware the one's made of old school drow elven chain... they are bad for use during sunny days at the beach.
"Ha ha! The fun has been doubled!"

Valynth

Okay, clearly there is too much happiness surrounding the idea of a chain mail bikini/lion cloth and as such I am here to destroy all that by pointing out a simple fact: Chain mail chafes badly.
The fate of the world always rests in the hands of an idiot.  You should start treating me better.
Chant for something good and it may happen
Chant for something bad and it will happen
C.O.D.:  Chronic high speed lead poisoning  (etch that on my grave)

pyrohamster

Quote from: Kayriel on February 08, 2008, 11:26:03 PM
Quote from: AnizInDisguise on February 08, 2008, 10:47:14 PM

I'm with you brother!

-hands Aniz another stack of paperwork- ;D There you go, big guy.
Aniz, you really should have started that paperwork a few years ago. tsk tsk tsk.

WhiteFox

Quote from: Valynth on February 09, 2008, 02:35:29 AM
Okay, clearly there is too much happiness surrounding the idea of a chain mail bikini/lion cloth and as such I am here to destroy all that by pointing out a simple fact: Chain mail chafes badly.

Depends on the chainmaille. Hardcore, medieval chainmaille was pretty rough. On the other hand, round wire, saw cut links feel oh so smooooth.

Some nice, .6 mil. stainless steel, eighth-inch diameter links, silky smooth and cool on your skin...

*Thunderbolt'd*

Right. Sorry. But it is more of a bite or pinch than a chafe.
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

kaskar

8) Did Dark Pegasus ever sell a line of " Kink " ...

8) Just Hanging Around ...

Tapewolf

Well, there would be a layer of fur in between.  Although it might make things worse if it tangles.  I don't remember what the stuff looks like close up.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Kayriel

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 09, 2008, 07:07:36 AM
Well, there would be a layer of fur in between.  Although it might make things worse if it tangles.  I don't remember what the stuff looks like close up.

http://hmtk.com/blog/showthread_files/BradChainmail1.jpg There you go. A chainmail bikini, with apparently absolutely nothing under it. Not even padding. Apparently there's no danger of nipple-pinching, or I'm sure she'd be wearing something under the top.
<3 Abel

Tapewolf

Quotehttp://hmtk.com/blog/showthread_files/BradChainmail1.jpg There you go. A chainmail bikini, with apparently absolutely nothing under it. Not even padding. Apparently there's no danger of nipple-pinching, or I'm sure she'd be wearing something under the top.

I was really hoping for a closeup of some medieval chainmail so we could see the structure...

Kayriel

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 09, 2008, 07:45:21 AM
Quotehttp://hmtk.com/blog/showthread_files/BradChainmail1.jpg There you go. A chainmail bikini, with apparently absolutely nothing under it. Not even padding. Apparently there's no danger of nipple-pinching, or I'm sure she'd be wearing something under the top.

I was really hoping for a closeup of some medieval chainmail so we could see the structure...

There is no generalized structure, it varied depending on who was making it, and it still does today. The only thing in common is the fact it's a bunch of chain links interlooping. Granted, you could pick the most stereotypical and go with that for debate's sake.
<3 Abel

WhiteFox

Quote from: Kayriel on February 09, 2008, 09:01:28 AM
There is no generalized structure, it varied depending on who was making it, and it still does today. The only thing in common is the fact it's a bunch of chain links interlooping. Granted, you could pick the most stereotypical and go with that for debate's sake.

Um... no.

Medieval chainmaille armor, almost exclusivly, used the european 4-in-1 pattern. It looks like this:
Four-in-one Rarely, they made 6-in-1, a very similar pattern: Six in one example.
The method for making links was pretty labor intensive, since they couldn't  just walk down to the hardware store and buy some wire: Curl a sheet of metal into a tube, then chisel of the end of the tube to get a ring.

Here's a tutorial on making riveted chainmaille. This guy here is using links made from round wire, coiled around a mandril.
Riveting chainmaille

Japanese chainmaille was actually plates with holes in them connected with links. It wasn't really chainmaille. These days, people make a variant made entirely with rings that looks like this: Japanese 4-in-1 and 6-in-1 Imagine the flat rings as square/hexagonal plates with holes punched in the corners, and you have the original style.

In early renaissance, chainmaille started getting used as jewelry. Chains emerged, like byzantine and persian. (The names are modern conventions, btw. They're not actually from Byzantine or Persia.)

Nowadays, there are hundreds of weaves that people have come up with. Back in medieval era, they mostly only used the 4 in 1 pattern for armor. Chainmaille was either worn under plate to cover the joints, or as a head to knees haubrek.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Are you -complaining- ??

Tapewolf

llearch n'n'daCorna

Quote from: Kayriel on February 09, 2008, 07:41:26 AM
http://hmtk.com/blog/showthread_files/BradChainmail1.jpg There you go. A chainmail bikini, with apparently absolutely nothing under it. Not even padding. Apparently there's no danger of nipple-pinching, or I'm sure she'd be wearing something under the top.

Arguable. I know a number of people who would be interested in wearing one only if it -was- pinching...

Anyway, I like the shirt on the guy. Distracted me away from the prettier content for a while...

Reese Tora

Quote from: Kayriel on February 09, 2008, 07:41:26 AM
Quote from: Tapewolf on February 09, 2008, 07:07:36 AM

Well, maile is usually worn with a paded jacket to help protect against impact (maile is only really good against cutting... piercing can split links unless they're riveted, and a solid blunt force translates through with almost no reduction fo force)

I always envisioned that furred creatures would need to wear some sort of canvas or cloth layer between the armor and them to prevent stray fur from passing through the weave and getting pulled.  With modern welded steel links, threre would still be that danger of pulled fur, though bare skin would no longer have to worry about being poked or scratched by rivets.(fun fact: modern maile can be considered reversible, but mideval riveted maile had a distinct inside and outside due to the rivets)
<-Reese yaps by Silverfox and Animation by Tiger_T->
correlation =/= causation

Kayriel

Quote from: WhiteFox on February 09, 2008, 10:50:43 AM
Quote from: Kayriel on February 09, 2008, 09:01:28 AM

Um... no.

Medieval chainmaille armor, almost exclusivly, used the european 4-in-1 pattern. It looks like this:
Four-in-one Rarely, they made 6-in-1, a very similar pattern: Six in one example.
The method for making links was pretty labor intensive, since they couldn't  just walk down to the hardware store and buy some wire: Curl a sheet of metal into a tube, then chisel of the end of the tube to get a ring.

Here's a tutorial on making riveted chainmaille. This guy here is using links made from round wire, coiled around a mandril.
Riveting chainmaille

Japanese chainmaille was actually plates with holes in them connected with links. It wasn't really chainmaille. These days, people make a variant made entirely with rings that looks like this: Japanese 4-in-1 and 6-in-1 Imagine the flat rings as square/hexagonal plates with holes punched in the corners, and you have the original style.

In early renaissance, chainmaille started getting used as jewelry. Chains emerged, like byzantine and persian. (The names are modern conventions, btw. They're not actually from Byzantine or Persia.)

Nowadays, there are hundreds of weaves that people have come up with. Back in medieval era, they mostly only used the 4 in 1 pattern for armor. Chainmaille was either worn under plate to cover the joints, or as a head to knees haubrek.

And yet I've found so many hauberks, chain shirts, full-chains, and chain inserts that are either subtly or vastly different from what you're describing, that in my experience, I couldn't say there was one single way in creation overall. If you know better, jolly good, friend. =P

And yes Reese, I know. I was mentioning more the fact that aside from the mail, she's nude from the waist up while wearing the chain - meaning that unless Ilearch is right about the style of chainmail bikinis we see today, and the people who wear them actually wearing them FOR some sort of constant nipple-pinching/pulling sensation, they're crafted so as not to BE pinchy etc. which would mean furres could wear them directly over their fur without issue.
<3 Abel

llearch n'n'daCorna

Oh, don't get me wrong. Not -everyone- who wears chainmail is wearing it for that.

In fact, I'd hesitate to suggest more than 50%, if that.

As for over fur... maybe. If you don't mind the odd strand being caught in the links. Fur is a lot more "grabby" than skin - for example, whilst you might see a chainmail -bra- with no padding, I'll bet you don't see a chainmail -brief- in the same fashion. Unless said wearer has shaved, it'd hurt.

... Of course, see back to the earlier suggestion, but that sort of thing tends to be done in private, even if there -are- cameras in the room...