02/04/08 [DMFA #874] - Jostle... Jostle...

Started by Pendolse, February 04, 2008, 01:07:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dannysaysnoo

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 05, 2008, 04:45:54 PM
Quote from: 127.0.0.2 on February 05, 2008, 04:39:16 PM
The most important question though is, of course:
How can a creature puke if it has no mouth? :U

Presumably the same way it is able to eat and drink, only in reverse.

Osmosis?

Don't think you can reverse osmosis, the best you can hope for is maybe just some weird magic that makes it useful.

Pagan

Nah, osmosis is a bit too slow for puking. Puking with osmosis would look like slow oozing.

But that is a darn good question.

I'm going to guess it's a special warp-aci magic similar to the magic that lets it talk.
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Naldru

Quote from: Pagan on February 05, 2008, 05:04:55 PM
Nah, osmosis is a bit too slow for puking. Puking with osmosis would look like slow oozing.

I'm going to guess it's a special warp-aci magic similar to the magic that lets it talk.
Maybe he teleports the vomit?
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

pyrohamster

Quote from: Naldru on February 05, 2008, 07:05:22 PM
Quote from: Pagan on February 05, 2008, 05:04:55 PM

or maybe it shouldn't be explained, wait nevermind now I'm curious too :P

Naldru

Quote from: pyrohamster on February 05, 2008, 07:43:06 PM
Quote from: Naldru on February 05, 2008, 07:05:22 PM

or maybe it shouldn't be explained, wait nevermind now I'm curious too :P

To quote the old cliche

There are some things that man was not meant to know

But of course there was Agatha Heterodyne's response: Fortunately, I'm a woman.  (I can't remember where it appeared.  It might have been in a radio play.)
Learn to laugh at yourself, and you will never be without a source of amusement.

Naldru

Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on February 05, 2008, 05:02:20 PM

Osmosis?

Don't think you can reverse osmosis, the best you can hope for is maybe just some weird magic that makes it useful.
Reverse osmosis is carried out by applying pressure to one side.  Google the following: reverse osmosis water desalination

However, the problem is that vomit is not a simple liquid, but a liquid with suspended solids.  It would be difficult for the solids to pass through the osmotic filter.

It is so rare when I see something for which my advanced degree in chemical and biochemical engineering is appropriate.

Kayriel

Quote from: Naldru on February 05, 2008, 09:23:51 PM
Quote from: Dannysaysnoo on February 05, 2008, 05:02:20 PM

Osmosis?

Reverse osmosis is carried out by applying pressure to one side.  Google the following: reverse osmosis water desalination

However, the problem is that vomit is not a simple liquid, but a liquid with suspended solids.  It would be difficult for the solids to pass through the osmotic filter.

It is so rare when I see something for which my advanced degree in chemical and biochemical engineering is appropriate.

I've got like, a medicated degree. Huhuhuhuh.

No but seriously, who says they possess normal bodies? If they can be squashed and apparently possess/phase through objects without issue, I'm going to say that they don't NEED a shape at all, and it's just that way for convenience and sensory-detail. With that said, it should easily be able to take in and deposit any material from its "body" from any part of its surface area. After all, how did it drink anyway, if it couldn't do that? Unless they can just spawn a mouth.
<3 Abel

Tapewolf

Quote from: Kayriel on February 05, 2008, 10:14:14 PM
No but seriously, who says they possess normal bodies? If they can be squashed and apparently possess/phase through objects without issue, I'm going to say that they don't NEED a shape at all, and it's just that way for convenience and sensory-detail.

Indeed.  According to Demonology they're basically composed of dark magic, so presumably when they wish to ingest something they create a mouth on-demand.

J.P. Morris, Chief Engineer DMFA Radio Project * IT-HE * D-T-E

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Tapewolf on February 06, 2008, 04:05:14 AM
Quote from: Kayriel on February 05, 2008, 10:14:14 PM
No but seriously, who says they possess normal bodies? If they can be squashed and apparently possess/phase through objects without issue, I'm going to say that they don't NEED a shape at all, and it's just that way for convenience and sensory-detail.

Indeed.  According to Demonology they're basically composed of dark magic, so presumably when they wish to ingest something they create a mouth on-demand.

I also agree with that. Since Warp-Aci are normally shapeless and need a physical form only to explore the material plane, and their "material" bodies are made up from something magical (I won't speculate about the details), they should be better shapeshifters than even their 'cubi masters. But there is another question: if Warp-Aci are not regular protein based lifeforms, why would they even want to consume something like alcohol, or, rather, why does said alcohol affect them in the same way it affects "regular protein based lifeforms"?

MT Hazard

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 06, 2008, 08:24:04 AM
why does said alcohol affect them in the same way it affects "regular protein based lifeforms"?

Questions like this can be answered in the following ways
1.Because its funny
2.Because it wouldn't be funny if they didn't
3.Because its a comic
4.Because its not real
5.Because the artist/author makes the rules
6.Because, instead of making the characters invulnerable, they are given some weakness
7.Because they (the character) decided they wanted to gain the benefits of said activity but ended up with the repercussions as a drawback.

Come to think of it, these could answer many of the questions I've seen here...
Grammar and I Don't always get on.

Link of the moment:  Sleepless domain (web comic) 

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 06, 2008, 06:03:16 PM
why does said alcohol affect them in the same way it affects "regular protein based lifeforms"?

1.Because its funny
3.Because its a comic
4.Because its not real
6.Because, instead of making the characters invulnerable, they are given some weakness
7.Because they (the character) decided they wanted to gain the benefits of said activity but ended up with the repercussions as a drawback.

Awww, but why can't we have a good old scientific dispute instead of those boring answers. Scientific disputes are fun, after all!  :3 Amber created a very complex universe, much of which is still shrouded in mystery, so saying "it's a comic" or "it's not real" would not suffice. DMFA does not have that "Demonology 101" just for the looks, after all! Maybe the matter that composes the body of a Warp-Aci reacts to the alcohol in such a way, that said Warp-Aci acts as if it is drunk, even though its metabolism has nothing in common with the metabolism of beings or creatures. Let the speculations begin!!  :B

But I admit that it is funny. Daniel, however, would not agree with that...

pyrohamster

*BLARARARARARG* Oh god, sorry! i just ate some bad chicken.

Kayriel

1.Because its funny
3.Because its a comic
4.Because its not real

Because that's the lamest answer ever. It's like trying to explain abilities in a character and someone going "it's magic". Even magic can be rationalized when using continuity physics. Everything has a reason, it's up to the bored and restless minds of the readers to come up with WHAT that reason is. =D So try your hand at it, let's see what you've got!
<3 Abel

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: pyrohamster on February 06, 2008, 09:28:33 PM
*BLARARARARARG* Oh god, sorry! i just ate some bad chicken.

That's not the kind of a "good old scientific dispute" I had in mind...  :sweatdrop

Naldru

I don't how many of you have heard of Stan Lee "no prize" awards.  If one of the comic books from Marvel had a mistake  (for example, a character claiming that he had never met another character, which always prompted a number of people to search for comics where they had met), readers would send in explanations of why it wasn't a mistake and he would award the "no prize" award to the one he liked best.

Or as Russell Means said to the critics of the Disney Pocahontas, "It's a story, folks".

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: Naldru on February 06, 2008, 09:49:52 PM
I don't how many of you have heard of Stan Lee "no prize" awards.  If one of the comic books from Marvel had a mistake  (for example, a character claiming that he had never met another character, which always prompted a number of people to search for comics where they had met), readers would send in explanations of why it wasn't a mistake and he would award the "no prize" award to the one he liked best.

Or as Russell Means said to the critics of the Disney Pocahontas, "It's a story, folks".

But.. but the good old scientific dispute!!  :blink The heated debates!!  :dface The wild speculations!!!...  D: DON"T DENY ME THEM, YOU CRUEL, CRUEL PERSON!!!..  'A'

It is the best part of the complex fictional universe. The opportunity to wonder: "Why did this or that happen the way it did, and not some other way? Could it be different? What if something else happened?" It helps you learn more about the world that you like so much, and lets you share your ideas with other people. So don't even compare that to some "no prize award". We do it for fun and amusement, not because we are the horde of rabid fans with too much time on their hands.

llearch n'n'daCorna

... of course, we -are- a horde of rabid fans with too much time on our hands...
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Pagan

Sides, that's what a forum is for. Wild speculation and depates over the comic's universe's laws are supposed to happen. If not, the only thing that would get said is "Well done Amber, good joke." And while that's nice, it'd lead to a bland and repetive forum, wouldn't it?
After a long time, some things change. Some things don't. And I still love Regina!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: llearch n'n'daCorna on February 06, 2008, 10:04:22 PM
... of course, we -are- a horde of rabid fans with too much time on our hands...

BUT WE CAN CHANGE, WE CAN CHANGE!
WE KNOW WE WERE SOME HORDE OF RABID FAN-DUDES!
BUT IT'S OK 'CAUSE WE CAN CHANGE!!!

Kayriel

Quote from: Ren Gaulen on February 06, 2008, 10:12:42 PM

BUT WE CAN CHANGE, WE CAN CHANGE!
WE KNOW WE WERE SOME HORDE OF RABID FAN-DUDES!
BUT IT'S OK 'CAUSE WE CAN CHANGE!!!

>_> Saddam and Satan?

Also, hear hear, Ill.
<3 Abel

pyrohamster

actualy i have some algebra to finish up

Gamma

"People don't change. They may want to, even need to." -Dr. Gregory House
011010000111010001110100011100000011101000101111001011110111011101110111011101110010111001111001011011110111010101110100011101010110001001100101001011100110001101101111011011010010111101110111011000010111010001100011011010000011111101110110001111010110111101001000011001110011010101010011010010100101100101010010010010000100000100110000

pyrohamster

You better be glad you use a titanium spork and not a spoon or i would rule it. BUT YOU WILL RUE THE DAY YOU USE THE SPORK RUE IT!!!!! :mwaha

WhiteFox

Osmosis?

One word: Tele-puke.

Is it still one word if it's hyphenated?
This is my pencil. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My pencil is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life...

patchwork cat

Tele-puke! Yes!

One word or two (or one  and a half- heh). it's funny and suits the warp-acii:

i suspect it's more than toxic. It's probably currently eating through Dan's clothing as well!

Ren Gaulen

Quote from: patchwork cat on February 07, 2008, 03:25:31 AM

Tele-puke! Yes!

One word or two (or one  and a half- heh). it's funny and suits the warp-acii:

i suspect it's more than toxic. It's probably currently eating through Dan's clothing as well!

Yeah, it has got to be quite caustic! But Daniel has already taken his shirt off so he is out of danger.

And a Tele-puke is a great word. Fear the Warp-Aci: they can tele-puke all over you from several kilometers away!!

MT Hazard

Quote from: Kayriel on February 06, 2008, 09:37:08 PM

1.Because its funny
3.Because its a comic
4.Because its not real
6.Because, instead of making the characters invulnerable, they are given some weakness.

Because that's the lamest answer ever. It's like trying to explain abilities in a character and someone going "it's magic". Even magic can be rationalized when using continuity physics. Everything has a reason, it's up to the bored and restless minds of the readers to come up with WHAT that reason is. =D So try your hand at it, let's see what you've got!

Yes, yes, sorry. I should probably reserve this kind of list answer for when speculation only when speculation has got way out of hand. The list probably would be better with 3 and 4 removed and maybe 1 and 2 while I'm at it.

Kayriel

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 08, 2008, 11:34:57 AM
Quote from: Kayriel on February 06, 2008, 09:37:08 PM

Yes, yes, sorry. I should probably reserve this kind of list answer for when speculation only when speculation has got way out of hand. The list probably would be better with 3 and 4 removed and maybe 1 and 2 while I'm at it.

You missed the point entirely, and it's difficult to tell whether or not you're being sarcastic. The point was speculation for speculation's sake, not "just because", which is all you've provided in 5-7, and isn't really helpful. D=
<3 Abel

MT Hazard

I do understand the point (speculation for speculation's sake) and I'm not being sarcastic.

I didn't mean for the whole thing to be taken so seriously.

Kayriel

Quote from: MT Hazard on February 08, 2008, 02:57:14 PM
I do understand the point (speculation for speculation's sake) and I'm not being sarcastic.

I didn't mean for the whole thing to be taken so seriously.

Ah, it's cool then. =P
<3 Abel