Commin up: 700

Started by Castle Pokemetroid, January 20, 2008, 11:07:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Castle Pokemetroid

Wow, 700 already. Just noticed that today's comic is comic number 699. These milestone one every 100 comics seems to come much more quickly than I thought.

That or, my memory got blanked again. Either is good.

Darkmoon

well, you figure 5 comics a week, that makes 100 every 20 weeks, or over 200 comics a year.

Seems slow when you think about it, but it goes pretty quick when you're just reading.
In Brightest Day. In Blackest Night...

llearch n'n'daCorna

every 6 months isn't exactly slow. Not on the scale of things.

Why, it was just the other day I landed in the yuk for the first time in 25 years. And that was 6 years ago.

Time flies like nothing else. (And fruit flies like a banana....)
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Darkmoon

Really it's a touch faster than that even.

Destina Faroda

100 every six months is pretty impressive.  I wish I could be even half as productive at you in just about anything.
Sig coming...whenever...

Damaris

Really, it's just about doing it every single day, whether you want to or not.  That's his "secret."

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Destina Faroda

I can do a lot of things every day, but it doesn't make me more productive at that particular task.

For instance, I can write 100 words every day, but it doesn't make me a better writer.  I can  draw a picture every day, but it doesn't make me a better graphic artist.  I can sing every day of my life, but it doesn't make me a better songstress.  Heck, as you have seen, I played Final Fantasy III every day, but as you can see from my uploaded videos, I didn't even get better at the game.

If anything, the more often I do a task, the harder it usually gets.  It takes me ten times as much effort to take the second step than the first, and by the fifth step, I don't have any energy left.
Sig coming...whenever...

Damaris

It's a matter of quantity.  100 words won't make you a better writer, but 1000 will train you to write every day, so that you can then use the habit to work on quality.

One picture a day might not make you a better artist, but ten a day will, over time.

Practice does, in fact, cause a person to improve.  It just takes a long time, which means that patience is involved in the steps.  Improvement isn't something that you can see measured over weeks- it's better seen over years, and only if dedication is put forth.

You're used to flame wars with flames... this is more like EZ-Bake Oven wars.   ~Amber
If you want me to play favorites, keep wanking. I'll choose which hand to favour when I pimpslap you down.   ~Amber

Destina Faroda

I guess I don't have enough patience, then, because nearly everything I have tried at one point or another I have not gotten better at due to practice.  Even in school, while I didn't mind doing the homework and studying, it in of itself didn't make me a better student.  For me, I either "got it" or I didn't, and the subjects I did well in was stuff that I fundamentally understood.  But there were subjects that despite coming to class, taking notes, doing homework, studying, and even getting tutored, that practice was unable to help me get a passing grade.  If I don't "get" it, then no steady amount of work can help me overcome that hurdle.

Even my job, where I do the same thing every day, other than a few minor things I learned in the first few days, I have not gotten any better at what I was doing.  It's not for lack of trying or effort; it's just lack of ability.

That doesn't mean that practice is completely worthless to someone who is already good at something.  I believe if one has an innate talent in something, practice can sharpen one's skills, but it in of itself can't help someone with little or no skill.   Personal experience has only shown that dedication only leads to frustration.
Sig coming...whenever...

Damaris

I don't have the patience for it either, which is why I'm overwhelmingly mediocre at everything but making annoying Publisher based calendars (because they have me doing that all the fucking time at work.  I can whip one out like nobody's business now).

Darkmoon

I never said I was very good at what I did, fyi. In fact, if you read the FAQs I wrote, I state quite the opposite. It's simply that I have Photoshop doing most of the work for me quite quickly. Skill isn't really a factor.

llearch n'n'daCorna

Time spent setting up photoswap and the like -is-.

That and the practice in coming up with the jokes - like anything else brain based, the more you do it, the more likely you are to think in that way. Hence why Darkmoon is always so quick with the witty put-downs here on the forum. ;-]
Thanks for all the images | Unofficial DMFA IRC server
"We found Scientology!" -- The Bad Idea Bears

Castle Pokemetroid

Dude, I just notice, the oltrox and zombie thing don't really count to the story, now do they? So, has the comic hit 700, or is that delayed.

Also, I really like the cat zombie thing. Mrowrgh. lol

That made milk come out of my nose when I saw it, which I was just happening to be drinking for some reason. I don't normally do that.

Darkmoon

Zombie cat will eat your soul... with kibble.

If ever you have doubt as to what the comic number is, simply check the image properties. The filename will always give it away.